Going to Florida (Key WEst) next week unvaccinated......

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are roughly 7 primary activities in the Keys:
  1. Drinking
  2. Fishing
  3. Drinking
  4. Diving/Snorkeling
  5. Drinking
  6. Other water sports (jet ski, parasailing, kayaking, etc)
  7. And...Drinking
Well 1,3,5 and 7 I don't participate in so I should be safe ;) However doesn't alcohol kill covid?

I don't but I will be getting it. I don't like any vaccines. I don't like medications or chemicals either. It's sad that this society has become so judgemental about these personal choices. I am not a spreader either...I stay home/work for myself and wear a mask if I am out in public for any reason.
Bet you will take those chemicals/medicine when you get covid. Bet you have a bunch of other vaccines already. I have a good friend who cannot be with her father who is likely dying (non covid related) in the ICU because the hospital closed to visitors. He also had to wait a day or so for a ventilator to free up for him and it was touch and go (wanna guess how it freed up?). Get the damn vaccine even if it won't fully kick in before your trip.

Well 1,3,5 and 7 I don't participate in so I should be safe ;) However doesn't alcohol kill covid?
I doubt if it kills Covid.

It does, however, kill lack of confidence, common sense, good judgement, physical agility, mental agility, and it blurs vision to the point that nobody's ugly after 2 AM (2 PM in the Keys).

Last edited:
I don't but I will be getting it. I don't like any vaccines. I don't like medications or chemicals either. It's sad that this society has become so judgemental about these personal choices. I am not a spreader either...I stay home/work for myself and wear a mask if I am out in public for any reason.

No one volunteers for chemicals in their body, unless absolutely necessary. Medications are lifesaving.

After 18 months of the whole entire world suffering, isn't it time to get the vaccine?

Yes it actually is.......and as a matter of fact there have been zero new cases of Covid in the past 6 days in Key West.
Its not true that there have been zero new cases in the past 6 days. Our newspaper reported 95 new cases in Monroe County yesterday. Our positivity rate last week was 22%. Our average daily cases and positivity rate is the highest it has been at any point in the pandemic.

You have to certify that you haven't tested positive when you fly. At least I did on my Alaska Airlines flight last weekend.

ETA: I suppose some people lie on the health declaration when they check in for their flight. But you shouldn't fly if you test positive for COVID even if it's not a law.

I’m sure lots have lied what scum.

I am also just getting over a cold (it was not covid I was tested) so my immune system is weak

Trip was booked in early June and I did buy insurance but it only covers us if we were to get sick or if there was a hurricane. Hotel is a timeshare rental so that cannot be refunded and my flight has change fees so that is going to cost money. When the trip was planned it wasn't rampant but things progressively got worse since the planning. NOthing I can do to get a refund at this point so we will be cautious and hope for the best. The positive cases are just as bad in my home city so I am at risk either way I was just coming on here to hopefully hear success stories.
Best reply yet!!!! Thank you!!!!
That's it, done deal.

Okay, now get packing, cm. You'll be late for your flight in a few days if you don't get going.

Non one "likes" to take medications or chemicals. Check the life expectancy before we had vaccines for various diseases that are now eradicated. You might also check the thread "just back" from WDW. A cautious person returned and has tested Covid+ .

I think the point people are making is not about how careful you are in your 'normal' life, but the risk you are taking going to Key West. It's clear you know the risk by now, so it's just your decision. Hopefully you are able to quarantine when you get back home.

Its not true that there have been zero new cases in the past 6 days. Our newspaper reported 95 new cases in Monroe County yesterday. Our positivity rate last week was 22%. Our average daily cases and positivity rate is the highest it has been at any point in the pandemic.

I'm wondering if the "6 days" is due to the state not reporting more than once a week (it would depend on where they looked).

And those stats only reflect the people that were tested locally. It wouldn't count people who returned home from their vacations having "caught" it while in Key West.

I'm wondering if the "6 days" is due to the state not reporting more than once a week (it would depend on where they looked).

And those stats only reflect the people that were tested locally. It wouldn't count people who returned home from their vacations having "caught" it while in Key West.

Yes, its for sure a lot harder to tell COVID numbers since the reports are only released once a week. Its bonkers down here right not.

8/13 had 500 new cases. The week prior 350. The week prior to that just under 250

What we used to be more comfortable with in terms of "just wear a mask, wash your hands, stay 6 feet apart, be outside), it's just not the same world anymore with the Delta variant. 99% of the known cases in the U.S. are now Delta variant and unfortunately much of the country is racked with it. It's a beast, it's awful, it's like nothing we have seen with the other variants. It makes travel even more of a risk and FWIW I know someone posted on this thread or another thread about people saying people shouldn't go to FL but then taking Disney trips well according to sources (however reliable they are) people are canceling left and right their trips right now as the variant and the confidence in safe enough travel has dwindled. There's also been a few stories in the last couple of days about low low low crowds (like Rise having Boarding groups available late into the day). Who knows if that holds up but there's obviously some people concerned about travel.

I remember the conversations here on this Board wondering what in the world was happening over in India with their cases, it's a weird reflection now knowing what it was and seeing the affects here, travel is just much much harder than wearing a mask and avoiding crowds, most especially for someone traveling without a vaccination (especially full protection). People are trying to help with advice as much as possible here on what you can do though.

At this point with my trip in 4 days I won’t get much protection if any if I were to have a dose of vaccine today. I do have a pulse oximeter and my baseline is 94/95 with no lung disease at all or any history of lung issues so I’m surprised it’s this low. Non smoker too.
I don’t understand why you didn’t get vaccinated 2 days ago when you asked. Or when you booked the trip. 🤷‍♀️

Or honestly, why you asked in the first place when your mind is clearly made up. It truly doesn’t matter if other people got it when they traveled to FL - it doesn’t determine or even give an inkling of what might happen to you.

I think you’re making a terrible mistake, but since you’re set on going, I’d research hospitals near where you’re staying and see if they currently have room if you needed it (not just for Covid, but for any care). I would wear a KN95/N95 and keep it on at ALL times in the airport/plane. And carry a lot of hand sanitizer with you. Stay outdoors and away from other people.

There are roughly 7 primary activities in the Keys:
  1. Drinking
  2. Fishing
  3. Drinking
  4. Diving/Snorkeling
  5. Drinking
  6. Other water sports (jet ski, parasailing, kayaking, etc)
  7. And...Drinking
Yes.... and key lime pie apparently every restaurant has the world best

Careful everyone... if you want this to stay open :)
Remember each to their own.

From what I've read, doesnt even seem like Key West would even be your type of vacation. I mean, you vacationing in Key West is like me vacationing in Jerusalem.

I mean, it's not a great idea. I'm young, healthy, vaccinated, masked, and still got it recently. And got pretty sick, too. It's out of control in the whole state right now. If I didn't live here I would stay as far away from FL as possible. It's not just that the cases are so high, it's that so many people still don't care AT ALL. They still aren't wearing masks, they still aren't distancing, etc. I can basically guarantee you will have no personal space bubble and unmasked people will be swarming you.

Just because someone else may have come down here and not gotten sick (or more likely not KNOWN they did) has no bearing whatsoever on what your outcome would be. You say your immune system is already weak but aren't willing to do anything to try to boost it. What about the other unvaccinated person in your party? Do they have a good immune system? Do they mask and distance and sanitize and stay in their bubble at home? What if they bring it back to someone they love or work with, etc? What if that person gets it? Even if you, by some miracle, don't get sick...is someone else dying worth you saving money? You aren't risking only your health. You're risking the health of everyone you come in contact with for at least 2 weeks, everyone your traveling party comes in contact with, etc.

It's a bad idea to travel at all right now. Even worse on a plane. And even worse to a state that's a hotbed for both covid spread & anti-mask/anti-vaccine people. I think what you were really looking for is people to say "oh just take your trip! this whole thing is so overblown and silly!" but that's just not reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter