Going to Florida (Key WEst) next week unvaccinated......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or call to see if you can postpone. Refunds might be hard, but postponement/credit might be a possibility.
I did almost mention that but I was going off the "can't get my money back" part of the OP's OP. And at this point it's within 5 days though maybe the place they are at will be understanding but that's cutting it close. Not sure about airline they are on or rental car company they are on. I honestly wouldn't know when to reschedule, ya know? But it's totally worth a shot if they can logistically work it out.

I wouldn't go, especially if you have to fly. Should you test positive while in Florida, you won't be able to fly home so will be stuck there for at least 10 days unless you drive home.
I don't know of any legal requirements to get a COVID-19 test or to be vaccinated for domestic air travel other than to fly into Hawaii. Some local governments have recommendations and limited restrictions. There are lots of recommendations from the FDA, but I don't think they carry the force or law or regulation.

Here's a list of state requirements as of early August.

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/us-state-travel-restrictions-covid-19/index.html

Hawaii is pretty strict with a requirement for vaccination or negative test within 72 hours. Kansas has requirements for people visiting certain areas. Maine has a list of states exempt from quarantine requirements.

The big worry might be that some airlines have screening policies. If anyone has a fever (regardless of the reason) that could mean being denied boarding.

No way. I would reschedule. I would not recommend booking anything without travel insurance. I am not sure that we can post links here but it would stink to lose your money. Traveling unvaccinated to FL is not something I would do but it is your call. Either way, I hope you do not lose out on what you paid. Good luck!

I don't know of any legal requirements to get a COVID-19 test or to be vaccinated for domestic air travel other than to fly into Hawaii. Some local governments have recommendations and limited restrictions. There are lots of recommendations from the FDA, but I don't think they carry the force or law or regulation.

Here's a list of state requirements as of early August.

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/us-state-travel-restrictions-covid-19/index.html

Hawaii is pretty strict with a requirement for vaccination or negative test within 72 hours. Kansas has requirements for people visiting certain areas. Maine has a list of states exempt from quarantine requirements.

The big worry might be that some airlines have screening policies. If anyone has a fever (regardless of the reason) that could mean being denied boarding.

You have to certify that you haven't tested positive when you fly. At least I did on my Alaska Airlines flight last weekend.

ETA: I suppose some people lie on the health declaration when they check in for their flight. But you shouldn't fly if you test positive for COVID even if it's not a law.

Last edited:
FWIW, almost no one (we're talking 1 in 1 million or so) gets sick for 5 full days from the vaccine. 2 days is typical if you have that kind of reaction, though a sore arm may last longer. More people get no reaction at all apart from feeling really sleepy a few hours after the shot, + the arm soreness. (Applying a cool compress to the injection site and making sure to move the arm a lot can help with that part, and loading fluids tends to help with any flu-ey feelings.) I'd get your first shot ASAP if you have not already done so.

In your place I would definitely try to line up an alternative route home if it turns out you do get sick and cannot fly. This story in the WashingtonPost goes into great length about the hassle of that (the author had a breakthrough infection, got sick the first day of his trip, and drove a rental car back home after a hotel-room quarantine period): https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2021/07/29/breakthrough-infection-covid/
Something such as having an adult child agree to drive down to get you comes to mind. (If you think the thought of losing your $3K is bad, realize that in today's market, driving your rental car home instead of turning it in would cost you about that much in penalties.)

Last edited:
Have a trip booked to Key West Florida next week and I cannot get my money back. Two of us are NOT vaccinated. Worried.....anyone still go on vacation to Florida unvaccinated and not get Covid? Planning to eat outdoors and avoid crowds. Will wear mask when necessary.
Thanks
Trip is in 5 days not 2 weeks.
I work for myself and do not go anywhere without a mask. I am very careful so I will hope for the best! Thanks....this trip was booked before Covid ran rampant in FLorida so I am going to lose $3k if we don't go. That is a lot of money to us. My accommodations have a kitchen so I will plan to eat there or outdoors only. I avoid crowds even before Covid. Wearing our KN95 masks on the plane and will have a rental car. NOt planning on doing anything indoors like museums, bars etc. Hoping for the best. I am hesitant to get the vaccine now for the fear of getting a reaction or symptoms and being sick day of travel.
I do think your mind is already made up.

According to WFTV, all ECMO machines in Florida are being used. There are none available.

They are also running low on PPD again. Also, 300 ventilators were sent down from the Federal stockpile earlier this week; not sure where those ended up.

OP, I would suggest that if you do not already own one, that you invest in a Pulse oximeter before you leave; or actually, one for each of you. They fit in a pocket, don't cost much (<$20), and being able to monitor your oxygen levels could become important if you get sick. Anything <91 should prompt you to seek medical attention right away, even if you are not showing uncomfortable symptoms.

OP, I would suggest that if you do not already own one, that you invest in a Pulse oximeter before you leave; or actually, one for each of you. They fit in a pocket, don't cost much (<$20), and being able to monitor your oxygen levels could become important if you get sick. Anything <91 should prompt you to seek medical attention right away, even if you are not showing uncomfortable symptoms.
This is a GREAT suggestion! A pulse ox also usually gives you your heart rate, and both that and O2 saturation are key vital signs.

I don't know that you need individual pulse-ox's, but definitely ONE. $20, next day delivery from Amazon -- also available at most pharmacies.

I'm a little more conservative than @NotUrsula (and probably not as well trained), but to me anything below 94% SAO2 would cause me to check how I felt.

But the best thing is to take it often and get a sense of what YOUR normal is. My normal is 97-98, but I've seen patients whose "normal" was <90% (COPD patients).

Last edited:
This region is in the shape New York and the East Coast were in at the beginning of the pandemic.

States are setting up temporary covid units and morgues in hospital parking garages as they're out of room.

Delta is more virulent. Every day I hear of someone else I know testing positive.

Be extremely careful. If you do still go.
Same here. I known more ppl who have tested positive in the last month than I knew throughout the whole pandemic.

This is a GREAT suggestion! A pulse ox also usually gives you your heart rate, and both that and O2 saturation are key vital signs.

I don't know that you need individual pulse-ox's, but definitely ONE. $20, next day delivery from Amazon -- also available at most pharmacies.

I'm a little more conservative than @NotUrsula (and probably not as well trained), but to me anything below 94% SAO2 would cause me to check how I felt.

But the best thing is to take it often and get a sense of what YOUR normal is. My normal is 97-98, but I've seen patients whose "normal" was <90% (COPD patients).

No Jim, you're absolutely more qualified in the healthcare field than I am. I'm not a healthcare worker, but a good friend who is an experienced ER physician gave me the 91 number as "call help NOW". I think you are right that 94ish would definity make the average person feel "off", but in these times, I think one of the big questions, especially for the unvaxxed, is "do I go to the ER when I'm not sure I have Covid, and take the chance that I'll catch it there?" My friend's advice was that at a higher point it *might* be watchful waiting (if you're otherwise very healthy), but at 91 or lower, the answer should be an absolute and immediate "Yes!" I trust her, and so I repeated her advice.

At this point with my trip in 4 days I won’t get much protection if any if I were to have a dose of vaccine today. I do have a pulse oximeter and my baseline is 94/95 with no lung disease at all or any history of lung issues so I’m surprised it’s this low. Non smoker too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter