Going solo - Starting to feel odd

I'm 40 and single and make more $ than my two best friends, so I either go on trips alone or, like for next January, am paying for my mom to go to WDW with me (she has the dough, it's just a nice treat from me).

Don't worry about it! I do understand how you feel...I'm currently thinking how much I'd like to go to Britain but the flip side is the extra expense (from not being able to share hotel rooms) and also being a bit lonely and having to ask strangers to take your photo. I did that in Washington D.C. last year - it was a good trip but yeah, I hear you.

But just think about this - if you feel weird going, just think how lame it would be to NOT go at all...to be the kind of person who never travels and just sits around the house all the time. So keep going. And have fun!

Disney is my "happy place" I have often met people who do not understand why I feel that way but the great thing about going to Disney is that it is full of like minded people who do not want to grow up either! I hope your trip is AMAZING! The only one who can make or break your trip is you! Enjoy!

OMG, say hello to a 65 year old that has traveled to WDW solo many times over the last 12 years. 37? and you get a box of popcorn and sit on a bench and watch people? Really? What are you going to do when you are my age?

I don't like popcorn so I instead ride all the rides as often as I can. I don't care what people think! I don't care if they don't want to sit next to me cause I'm old and therefore strange. Why would I care I didn't go there to sit next to anyone so why would I care.

In fact over the last 12 years I have had a cute and terrific young lady chat with me while we were waiting for a movie to start and after it did, I felt a bit of pressure on my upper arm, glanced over and she had fallen asleep with her head hitting my arm. Her parents seemed upset and decided to move her so she wouldn't bother me...I told them they didn't have too, it was just fine and that I had been the Father of two little girls and I missed that. She stayed where she was until the movie was over.

Another time I was sitting in the across the bus rear seat section after leaving HDR when a family came in and there was only enough room for their little boy to sit down next to me. He did and within minutes he also was sound asleep against my arm. Another time I was sitting on the bench just outside of Splash Mtn. when a Mom and Dad and their little girl sat next to me. The little girls just looked at me for quite a while and then asked me if I had any grandkids. I laughed and said I did and then her parents asked about the fact that I appeared to be by myself. I told them I was and that I loved WDW and came here often by myself. They, the parents, then asked me what I found to do in the parks. I replied, everything that you do. In fact there were some water spots on my shirt that got there during my ride on Splash mountain a few minutes earlier. They couldn't believe that a man, as they put it, of my advanced years, would even go to a park alone, much less still ride the rides. Heck I was a whippersnapper of 55 at the time. People know so little about aging until they actually get there.

The fact of the matter is that I have never seen anything that would leave me to believe that anyone gives a rats tail about what other people are doing or if they are "alone" or not. There is no reason at all to feel self conscience about it. 99.9% of what you think is someone watching what you are doing is your imagination at work. As for the other, .1% can you think of any good reason why you should care what they think. I surely cannot.

Well said! I am 47 and enjoy a solo trip as much as a trip with my friends and family! I have noticed that I do enjoy finding a bench in the shade and enjoying a bucket of popcorn while watching the people walk by (scares the living daylights out of me but I still do it....:rolleyes:)

Its funny...I read all these 'support' responses to people who are going or thinking about going solo and I am even more insanely jealous lol! I have been to WDW multiple times with family. But as a single 40 something who is 'used' to doing things alone WDW is a dream of mine. To be able to stop and sit, not worry about others (that seems selfish and mean when I type that out lol!) To be able to take my time and if I get cranky... leave. :) I was thinking of going in the spring for a few days... I think I definitely will now!

My solo trip in late July was wonderful. I didn't feel odd at all, even at the princess meet and greet or the Fantasyland attractions. I was even "cast" as Mrs. Potts in the Enchanted Tales with Belle. Just have fun with it and never let your having or deciding to go solo hold you back.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter