Going solo - Starting to feel odd

I have taken 4 trips to WDW, and 2 of them have been solo. I felt a little funny on the first solo trip, but I found out quickly my nerves were more if the "unknown" type - I had no idea what to expect. What I found was that I had a wonderful time - I had time to do exactly what I wanted, and in doing so, I discovered some things at WDW that I had never seen before because my previous group hasn't been interested. I also found that I met some really awesome people - some travelers actually notice a solo person and start chatting with them more comfortably than they would a group of people (probably afraid of interrupting a group). I also noticed cast members being especially friendly during my solo trips - I never felt like it was out of pity or anything - they just seemed happy to talk to someone who loved Disney so much that they were willing to go solo.

My final piece here is actually a piece of advice that a friend gave me a few years back - basically, if you want to do something badly enough, be willing to do it alone. As a single person, this sunk in a lot - I don't always have the same travel buddies, and don't have a constant travel companion that many people find in a SO or family member. But I can go solo, have a wonderful time, and be glad I did it - rather than not go because I was nervous or uncomfortable and wish I had.

I hope this helps!

I am a single male (46). One thing I have always believed is that you are only as old as you feel or think. Are we supposed to forego things that we enjoy just because we are single? Life can be short and enjoy yourselves while you are able to.

I think anyone who wants to go to Disney should go regardless of whether they're a solo traveler. Not having someone to accompany you on a trip shouldn't discourage you from going and having a blast! I went with a relative last year and we ended up getting into an argument which resulted in us splitting up and going to different parks and I had more fun without her! lol I can definitely see a solo trip in my future. :)

I took my first solo trip to Disney when I was 18. I had a blast. That was 23 years and 3 kids ago. Now I love going with my family but there may come a day again that I go it alone. Life has it's seasons. If you're in a solo season enjoy Disney solo. Any way you do it, Disney is a fun time. And try to remember while you're there that you may be noticing that you're alone but I doubt anyone else will. To be honest most people have spent to much time, money and effort on their own trip to be thinking too much about you. Just go with confidence, stroll down main street at YOUR pace, eat when ever YOU feel like it, wait in whatever lines YOU decide are worth it, and sit when YOUR feet are tired. I hope you have a WONDERFUL TIME!

PeterPanic said:
OMG, say hello to a 65 year old that has traveled to WDW solo many times over the last 12 years. 37? and you get a box of popcorn and sit on a bench and watch people? Really? What are you going to do when you are my age?

I don't like popcorn so I instead ride all the rides as often as I can. I don't care what people think! I don't care if they don't want to sit next to me cause I'm old and therefore strange. Why would I care I didn't go there to sit next to anyone so why would I care.

In fact over the last 12 years I have had a cute and terrific young lady chat with me while we were waiting for a movie to start and after it did, I felt a bit of pressure on my upper arm, glanced over and she had fallen asleep with her head hitting my arm. Her parents seemed upset and decided to move her so she wouldn't bother me...I told them they didn't have too, it was just fine and that I had been the Father of two little girls and I missed that. She stayed where she was until the movie was over.

Another time I was sitting in the across the bus rear seat section after leaving HDR when a family came in and there was only enough room for their little boy to sit down next to me. He did and within minutes he also was sound asleep against my arm. Another time I was sitting on the bench just outside of Splash Mtn. when a Mom and Dad and their little girl sat next to me. The little girls just looked at me for quite a while and then asked me if I had any grandkids. I laughed and said I did and then her parents asked about the fact that I appeared to be by myself. I told them I was and that I loved WDW and came here often by myself. They, the parents, then asked me what I found to do in the parks. I replied, everything that you do. In fact there were some water spots on my shirt that got there during my ride on Splash mountain a few minutes earlier. They couldn't believe that a man, as they put it, of my advanced years, would even go to a park alone, much less still ride the rides. Heck I was a whippersnapper of 55 at the time. People know so little about aging until they actually get there.

The fact of the matter is that I have never seen anything that would leave me to believe that anyone gives a rats tail about what other people are doing or if they are "alone" or not. There is no reason at all to feel self conscience about it. 99.9% of what you think is someone watching what you are doing is your imagination at work. As for the other, .1% can you think of any good reason why you should care what they think. I surely cannot.

We think alike!!! Love my solos!!!!!!

I am leaving my wife and 8 year old daughter home and heading down for 2 nights this month.
My wife doesn't dislike WDW but she doesn't share my excitement for it either. I need a couple of days to myself in a happy place (both of my parents passed away in the last 18 months, my Mother this past May, totally unexpected).
I really don't care what anybody thinks about me riding the rides or eating alone or anything else. I am going to do anything I choose-park hop for a single attraction, eat whenever I want to, take a nap, close a park, who knows?

I am leaving my wife and 8 year old daughter home and heading down for 2 nights this month.
My wife doesn't dislike WDW but she doesn't share my excitement for it either. I need a couple of days to myself in a happy place (both of my parents passed away in the last 18 months, my Mother this past May, totally unexpected).
I really don't care what anybody thinks about me riding the rides or eating alone or anything else. I am going to do anything I choose-park hop for a single attraction, eat whenever I want to, take a nap, close a park, who knows?

So sorry to hear about your mom. I hope this trip is just what you need to lift your spirits.

I have been going solo for the last year since me and the ex went our separate ways and i got to be completely honest it is a different experience but i am also doing and seeing things i never would have. He was a go go go type personality now i can sit on a bench and people watch or go to a ride that he would never wanted to do (like IASW). The first time it was ackward and i did cry alot during that visit but now its fun. I try to go at least one weekend month (luckily i have a friend who lives in orlando so i just stay on her couch).

I have heard that doing it solo is not for everyone.

I am sooo looking forward to going solo at the tender young age of 54! I have traveled with family members and friends but this is the first time I think I can just stop and enjoy everything. I am going in October so will be able to enjoy Food and Wine Festival and Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party. I only have doubts about one thing and that is having breakfast with the Princess'. Not sure I won't feel weird but that's it. Come on October!!!!:cool1:

I am sooo looking forward to going solo at the tender young age of 54! I have traveled with family members and friends but this is the first time I think I can just stop and enjoy everything. I am going in October so will be able to enjoy Food and Wine Festival and Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party. I only have doubts about one thing and that is having breakfast with the Princess'. Not sure I won't feel weird but that's it. Come on October!!!!:cool1:

That last thing would make feel weird but if it is something that you really want to do, don't let it bother you. The way I work it is if there is something that would make me feel odd, I just don't do it. What I have found so far is that everything that I have decided not to do would be something that I wouldn't do even if I was with someone. Does that make any sense?

I'm really glad to find this board! I'm 25 years old and single. Having worked at Disneyland in college, I've always wanted to visit WDW, but haven't yet.

I'll be be on a business trip to Orlando this month, and I'll have two days of down time. Unfortunately, my co-workers don't share any interest in Disney, so it looks like I'm on my own. (There's no reason to pass up this opportunity when WDW is literally a 15 minute drive away, just because I'm solo, right??)

I've journeyed through Europe alone, so I'm a good independent traveler, but for some reason the idea of going to a theme park alone is difficult to get my head around. Yes, I encountered lots of friendly, happy, solo travelers at Disneyland -- but I've always thought that I'd want to share my first WDW trip with someone. Plus, Disney World just seems so massive and limitless.

I still have some things I need to get comfortable: how to tell people that I went to WDW alone (some people might think it strange). Also, I'm already a bit overwhelmed that two days NOT enough time to do all the things I'd want to do. I always thought my first trip would be with friends and family... and that it would be a complete experience. I can't really explain why I hesitate... Does anyone out there understand?

Hi Bryan,
I'll be in a somewhat similar position to yourself. I'm heading to WDW and DL in a couple of weeks for a partially solo trip (meeting up with a friend for part of my time there) - it'll be the first time I've visited since I worked there (ICP) in 2010. I'm somewhat apprehensive, but I'm mostly looking forward to it.

I've travelled Europe solo, America solo, Australia solo and parts of Asia solo... I've cruised solo and done multiple exchanges since the age of 14.. but I still get that tiny little worry in my gut every time I set out the door.

For me, I think it mostly stems from always having people around during the college program - there was always someone I knew going to the park, or someone I could meet there. This time I don't really have the support network I used to have, so it's all going to be about the experience. I always thought I'd be going back with family or loved ones... but I'm not due to various reasons beyond my control. So be it - I'm not passing up the opportunity to go to WDW because other people can't.

Theme parks are also mainly based around the concept of family or friends, so that probably factors into the apprehension. They've done things to accommodate the solo traveller (single rider lines, for example), but I believe they'll always remain 'that place where we all went for xxx'. It's up to you to make it into 'that place where I had a bucket tonne of fun'.

Yes, I've had a couple of funny looks after telling people I'm doing WDW and DL solo this year - but then again, I've had funny looks when I tell people I wrote my dissertation on DLP and the cultural divide. I've had funny looks for telling people that I like Star Wars too. My conclusion on that front? People judge other people, and it's always going to be that way unfortunately.

Long story short - just believe you'll have a great time, and I'm confident the magic will happen. It's not about other people, it's about you and your smile.

/ramble

Hope this helped! You're not alone ;)

I still have some things I need to get comfortable: how to tell people that I went to WDW alone (some people might think it strange). Also, I'm already a bit overwhelmed that two days NOT enough time to do all the things I'd want to do. I always thought my first trip would be with friends and family... and that it would be a complete experience. I can't really explain why I hesitate... Does anyone out there understand?

Bryan, you're going on a business trip and have extra time to check out Disney, that's not strange. I think most people in your position would rather check out the park instead of sitting inside a hotel room.

Two days probably isn't enough time since Disney World is huge (I still haven't done everything I wanted to do and I've been a few times), but you'll still have lots of fun. It's better to have some fun, then no fun. You'll just have to come back another time!

Yeah, I always thought I'd be going to Disney with friends and family myself, but that has yet to happen. On the plus side, you're only 25. You have plenty of time to find a future travel partner. Since you've never been and are going for only 2 days, you'll probably be distracted by everything around you that you won't have time to be lonely.

Wandergirl, thanks! It's got to be an even bigger deal visiting from New Zealand... kudos to you! I think you're right. Working at Disneyland was such a great social experience, and I was with a tight knit group of friends. I can see myself wanting to visit WDW in the same way.

Delftblue, appreciate your advice. I'd think that my co-workers would be interested too, but I guess I'm the odd one!

Since I'm only there for two days, I figured Epcot might be the best park for a solo traveler. I see there's a Food and Wine festival going on, and this might be my best opportunity to visit the various pavilions at my own leisure (rather than worrying about what other people might find interesting).

For the other day, I'm thinking of stopping in at the Magic Kingdom. I'm really curious on seeing this bigger version of the Disneyland that's so familiar to me (I'm especially interested in riding versions of the rides where I worked. Most people probably wouldn't notice or care about the differences, but I'd get a kick out of the nerdy details). Haven't decided whether to hop over to Animal Kingdom or the Studios park...

No worries - glad I could make a somewhat useful contribution!

If you're there between Sept 25th-Oct 3rd, feel free to hit me up. I'll make sure you visit the New Zealand stand at Food and Wine ;)

As to parks to visit, it really depends what you want out of a theme park. Personally my favourite parks are DHS and AK - even though I worked at EPCOT! I live for the Tower of Terror and Expedition Everest, not to mention Rock N Roller Coaster. I'm a bit of a coaster freak, tbh..

If you're wanting something completely different from DisneyLand, however, I'd go EPCOT. Completely different vibe.

I've always loved comparing rides between parks, too - Haunted Mansion especially - so let your inner nerd free and I'm sure you won't have a lonely moment.

Wow, you're going for nine days... that is really fantastic. I'll be there on September 26 and 27 -- maybe we could meet up for some New Zealand grub (never had it before)!

I haven't decided whether to visit AK or DHS, but I'll have a park hopper pass so if time permits I might even step foot in all four parks! I know it's not enough to do it all justice, but it will whet my appetite for the next trip.

Not sure what they have at the NZ stand this year - probably lamb, it's generally a quality choice!

I should have a US phone number by the 25th, I'll flick you a msg on the board with my phone number then and we can figure something out :) Either that or we could fix a time and place to meet up ahead of time, just in case I haven't got a phone.

The 26th in the morning I'll be by myself, then the 26th in the afternoon and all day 27th I'll be with my former CP roommate, so if you think you can deal with two Disney crazed girls, the 27th works too. Just let me know!

I have a 9 day park hopper, so moving about is fine by me - encouraged, even XD

Once you go solo, you never go back.
=P

No. Seriously though. I'm used to going to Disney with my grandma. She's in a wheelchair, so I got used to legitimately getting one one or two rides in an entire trip to Disney World (usually Jungle Cruise and Haunted Mansion). Then I went on a solo trip to Disneyland back in June and I got on more rides than I ever thought possible (I had over 20 ride photos alone).

What I noticed (I've never done WDW solo, but we'll see in a few weeks) is that it almost feels more special. I don't know if its a difference between DL and WDW, but I felt so catered to since I was alone. I did Carthay Circle and a character breakfast, and everyone was super nice (the characters especially). While it was a little awkward for me with face characters, I brushed it off and had a grand time. (33+ characters, over 400 photopass photos...)

I think the best part is being able to do what you want and set your own pace and not have to worry about running people over.
:cool1:

TL;DR - Going solo is AWESOME.

pirate:
I started going solo because of a divorce too. I can honestly say, I enjoy my solo trips more & more. Going to food & wine soon, told DBF he couldn't come. Well, he doesn't understand the concept of hangin' out,tasting this & that, watch a performance, meet new people.

I met a gal & her mom, we ended enjoying a great afternoon @ La Cava de Tequila & cocktails @ the pool the next day. I met a single young doc who bought DVC to go somewhere close to home w/ "stuff" to do. Met a nice family from MN who are so friendly & great- seen all on other solo trips.

Only moment where someone made me feel awkward, waiting for parade in Liberty Sq, a mom was breast feeding her tiny guy & the 3/4 y/o was climbing rail on the flower bed, she flipped over it, hit her head & was crying. I had chatted w/ mom-& volunteered 2 get her. Well DAD who wasn't paying attn in the 1st placed grabbed her like I was some creeper!!!

Otherwise, people I meet usually think I work there!!! Lol! 4-5 trips yearly often solo & I will only go to professional conferences there. Besides where else is a gal safe on her own?princess:

The 26th in the morning I'll be by myself, then the 26th in the afternoon and all day 27th I'll be with my former CP roommate, so if you think you can deal with two Disney crazed girls, the 27th works too. Just let me know!

Hey WanderGirl, unfortunately our project dates have shifted and I won't be headed to Orlando until mid-October. Which actually is a bummer because I would love nothing more than meet up with a Disney girl with a cool accent! When I do go, I'll still stop by NZ for some grub!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter