Gluten Free Dining at the Disneyland Resort: A Superthread

We actually had a good experience with the Gluten-Free option at the World of Color Dessert Party, we were there on Monday, Sept 9th. Only my 15 year old has Celiac so the rest of us had the regular plate. She enjoyed the food, though did agree the bread was fairly bland especially since they didn't bring any butter.

Her plate included fresh fruit - the grapes, slices of watermelon and pineapple plus the blueberries and raspberries. Also a chocolate-covered strawberry, an apple dessert (pie without the crust!), the lavender macaron and a coconut cream dessert (another pie without the crust!). She tried everything and her favorite was the macaron. I had intended on picking up a marshmallow wand or the Red Velvet cupcake from Sprinkles prior to this as I had heard the gluten-free plate tended to be just the fruit and cheese, we ended up not having time but she was very happy with her plate, as you can see from the photo as she was not wanting to wait me to take a picture before diving in (she had already grabbed the macaron and I made her put it back!)

We actually had a good experience with the Gluten-Free option at the World of Color Dessert Party, we were there on Monday, Sept 9th. Only my 15 year old has Celiac so the rest of us had the regular plate. She enjoyed the food, though did agree the bread was fairly bland especially since they didn't bring any butter.

Her plate included fresh fruit - the grapes, slices of watermelon and pineapple plus the blueberries and raspberries. Also a chocolate-covered strawberry, an apple dessert (pie without the crust!), the lavender macaron and a coconut cream dessert (another pie without the crust!). She tried everything and her favorite was the macaron. I had intended on picking up a marshmallow wand or the Red Velvet cupcake from Sprinkles prior to this as I had heard the gluten-free plate tended to be just the fruit and cheese, we ended up not having time but she was very happy with her plate, as you can see from the photo as she was not wanting to wait me to take a picture before diving in (she had already grabbed the macaron and I made her put it back!)

View attachment 436370
Nice to hear that your daughter was happy with her GF plate.
Wouldn't it be so much better if they served the bread warm and included butter?

Aside from the Monte Cristo (never sits well with me), does anyone have any recent recommendations for great gluten-free options in the parks? I was reviewing menus last night and am struggling to find GF options I'm genuinely excited about.

My 15 year old daughter is GF and we just got back yesterday so here are her favorites from our trip!

Wine Country Trattoria - she loooooooves the shrimp scampi with GF pasta, by far her favorite dish in the parks.
Carthay Circle - she had the Tuscan-braised Lamb with GF pasta, also delicious. Their GF bread is awesome too!
Carnation Cafe - she had Walt's Chili and thought it was pretty good.
Blue Bayou - she had Red Beans & Rice starter (without the crouton topper) and the Jambalaya and both were delicious, standard bread service.

The burger at carthay circle is one of my wife's favorite's, but they often have GF seasonal specials that we like just as much. I remember they had enchiladas once that were to die for. I'm bummed about the new menu of Lucky Fortune, it's much less GF friendly and that was a must-eat.

Most of our favorite options are outside of the parks (Storytellers, Steakhouse 55, Catal etc) We will have to check out the BBQ sandwich at River Belle now!

It was a must eat for me too, hate to think I'm going to have to give it up. Good GF teriyaki is really hard to find! Have you eaten there since the menu change or just basing on the on-line menu. I'm just hoping the teriyaki plate is basically the same as the former teriyaki bowl.

View attachment 436370

Dang, ours was just 4 days later and was not that good! We got grapes. Just grapes, no berries, melon, pineapple or chocolate-dipped strawberry.

It was a must eat for me too, hate to think I'm going to have to give it up. Good GF teriyaki is really hard to find! Have you eaten there since the menu change or just basing on the on-line menu. I'm just hoping the teriyaki plate is basically the same as the former teriyaki bowl.

I haven't tried the new teriyaki plate yet but will be there in two weeks...will report back!

I don't remember having the old version, but I was there a couple weeks ago and really enjoyed the teriyaki plate!

Have any gluten-free friends visited the resort since reopening like to share their experiences? Beyond the above-mentioned updates re: Pym's (thank you SO MUCH for that!), nothing has been posted here since "the before times." :goodvibes

Last edited:
Oh, hey! So, re: gluten-free Monte Cristo sandwiches!
It used to be that you could email SpecialDiets@disneyland.com, and ask ahead of time for a GF Monte Cristo at BB or Cafe Orleans. There currently is no mention of that email contact on the website, but on a hunch I pulled it up from my own past emails. I last successfully ordered one ahead for Cafe Orleans in September 2019. When I emailed last week,I got an automated reply that DLR is currently closed (not anymore, baby!) But today, I got a real reply! So that department must be up and running again! They asked for my reservation number and how many in my party were requesting it (just me, solo). So hopefully I’ll get my gf Monte Cristo at Cafe Orleans on June 24th!

Oh, hey! So, re: gluten-free Monte Cristo sandwiches!
It used to be that you could email SpecialDiets@disneyland.com, and ask ahead of time for a GF Monte Cristo at BB or Cafe Orleans. There currently is no mention of that email contact on the website, but on a hunch I pulled it up from my own past emails. I last successfully ordered one ahead for Cafe Orleans in September 2019. When I emailed last week,I got an automated reply that DLR is currently closed (not anymore, baby!) But today, I got a real reply! So that department must be up and running again! They asked for my reservation number and how many in my party were requesting it (just me, solo). So hopefully I’ll get my gf Monte Cristo at Cafe Orleans on June 24th!
THANK YOU!!! I've done this and my celiac son thought it was the greatest thing EVER.

THANK YOU!!! I've done this and my celiac son thought it was the greatest thing EVER.
I just contacted them again to ask about GF options at Wine Country Trattoria. I've had GF pasta there before. Again, first I got the "DLR is closed" automated email, but then a day or so later, I got a reply from a live person at Special Diets. They should turn off that automated reply. Anyway, here's the reply I got re: WCT:

"Thank you for your message.

Due to the large volume of meals we serve, vendors and suppliers frequently substitute products, update menu items and change preparation methods. For this reason, we are unable to provide menu items and ingredients in advance. Therefore, to receive the most current information, we ask that you speak to a Chef or Manager when you arrive at each location. They will be happy to assist with your selection and provide product labels and ingredients for menu items.

Most quick service locations and table service locations in the Disneyland Resort, such as Wine Country Trattoria, offer gluten allergy-friendly products for the main menu items with or without prior notice. For instance, if a location has noodles as the main menu item, they will generally offer gluten allergy-friendly noodles as well.

We look forward to your visit!

Sincerely,

Rachel Novak
Special Diets Team
Disneyland Resort

Guest Correspondence"

So, that's pretty hopeful, I think!

I noticed that a number of restaurant menus on the website now show allergy options including gluten if you scroll down.
Yes! But not all, weirdly. You’d think they could have a note like “gluten-free (bun, pasta, pizza crust) available on request”

I emailed special diets and got a "this email address is not in service" - not even a "we're closed" - will try again from another email.

I know most other dishes we can do something at the door, but the Monte Cristo had to be ordered in advance. Wonder if there is a number to call?

For those interested, I just got off the phone with Special Diets regarding the Lobster Nachos. I'd received conflicting information on the GF status.

She confirmed that the ONLY gluten item in the dish is the chips (common fryer), the rest of the ingredients are GF. She said we are perfectly welcome to bring in our own chips and they will 'build' a plate of the rest of the ingredients for us to dip our chips in. They cannot take the chips into the kitchen and use them to construct the dish. And that they aren't contemplating a dedicated fryer any time soon for logistical/cost reasons.

I suggested that since the only ingredient that's a no-no is the 'house made chips' that perhaps they might consider stocking some 'bagged chips' to use for those of us who are GF. She will pass the suggestion up the line.

How does one call "Special Diets"?

How does one call "Special Diets"?

The number used to be on Disney's websites on their 'special diets' tab. I see that it's no longer there. The last number I had was (714) 781-7290 but I can't guarantee it as I haven't called them in a few years. If all else fails, call the regular Disney Dine number (I think 714 781 DINE) and ask to be transferred.

The number used to be on Disney's websites on their 'special diets' tab. I see that it's no longer there. The last number I had was (714) 781-7290 but I can't guarantee it as I haven't called them in a few years. If all else fails, call the regular Disney Dine number (I think 714 781 DINE) and ask to be transferred.
Thank you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter