Gluten Free Dining at the Disneyland Resort: A Superthread

When they first opened, all sandwiches were pre-made in the case. Now they come through the window. But I suspect that they're pre-assembled and something like no pickle would just have the pickle being take off. That's what they do with monte cristos too. No ham means they just take the ham off sandwich before frying it. Jolly Holiday does have GF baked items that aren't in the case that you can ask about, so it might still be worth a visit and you can ask if a modified sandwich is made on a dedicated surface.

They do custom make the gf sandwiches. The chef will come out and talk to you, and then go back and make the sandwich in a dedicated prep area. They will custom make the other sandwiches too (my kids are picky, and they order sandwiches with things left off). Their sandwiches come from the back, not the case. This was the case last month and in December 2014.

I've had many excellent meals from quick to table service.

My fav right now is the Teriyaki chicken bowl at Lucky Fortune Cookery at DCA because it's near impossible to get gluten free Teriyaki sauce that tastes like 'the real deal'. I'd probably eat it twice a day if I could get away with it but my BFF would probably get bored!

They do custom make the gf sandwiches. The chef will come out and talk to you, and then go back and make the sandwich in a dedicated prep area. They will custom make the other sandwiches too (my kids are picky, and they order sandwiches with things left off). Their sandwiches come from the back, not the case. This was the case last month and in December 2014.
I know that they come from the back, but so do the monte cristos at BB and they're pre-assembled. I figured that they were making the GF sandwiches to order, but I'd still ask every time about a dedicated prep area. When Carnation no longer had a dedicated fryer it wasn't announced, people found out by asking. Some of the sandwiches in the case really looked awful when they had them out. There was a noticeable color difference between the new ones and the ones that had been out. I've even heard people say that the sample sandwiches are a turn off because they're not labeled as samples and people think that's the last sandwich. But, the caprese was pretty good when it sat out for awhile and the pesto soaked in. The grilled cheese, not so much.

I know that they come from the back, but so do the monte cristos at BB and they're pre-assembled. I figured that they were making the GF sandwiches to order, but I'd still ask every time about a dedicated prep area. When Carnation no longer had a dedicated fryer it wasn't announced, people found out by asking. Some of the sandwiches in the case really looked awful when they had them out. There was a noticeable color difference between the new ones and the ones that had been out. I've even heard people say that the sample sandwiches are a turn off because they're not labeled as samples and people think that's the last sandwich. But, the caprese was pretty good when it sat out for awhile and the pesto soaked in. The grilled cheese, not so much.

I know my kids were fresh made because they ask for things to not be on them like aioli or mustard as well as greens and such. The sauces are obvious if they're just wiped off. Every time I've ordered a gf sandwich at JH they chef comes out and explains about the prep area, I've never had to ask! They are really great there.

Stood out as in exquisite table service or something? Like a special occasion place? The priciest thing we did was the WOC dessert party - DH has celiac and really enjoyed his plate and the experience in general.

How did it work for the Desset party? Did you call and make a note on the reservation? Were you able to give input or was it a plate of whatever they put together?

How did it work for the Desset party? Did you call and make a note on the reservation? Were you able to give input or was it a plate of whatever they put together?
I booked WOC dessert party online, noting the gluten allergy when I did so. Then I called a couple weeks prior to our trip and talked to a CM to make sure all of our reservations had his allergy clearly noted. The CM went through everything, and we chatted about how WOC food works. Then two days prior to our booked WOC date - a CM called to confirm the allergy and discuss the food options. I assume this is because they plan out the food restricted plates the day prior, so they want to make sure you're still planning to keep the res before they do that. I was very specific that DH would rather have more fruit and savories than sweets, and she noted all of that - and that may be why he got a ton of fruit but not as many desserts. His plate had the same cheeses and grapes as the regular plates, and he got his own bread. None of the sweets appearing on the regular plates were ok for him, so he had blueberries, strawberries, blackberries, and raspberries with a sweet yogurt dip, a chocolate-dipped strawberry, and some kind of tart (looked like a shortbread-ish base, with chocolate and berries). There was a lot of fruit on that plate; it was abundant, and he is a BIG eater but agrees. I neglected to snap a photo. They knew exactly which plate was his, no confusion, had some kind of label on it.

I think if you are more into sweets and are clear about that - your plate would potentially be different. Knowing about the cheese/bread/fruit parts in advance, we were treating this like a late dinner (rather than spending a ton on the party and only eating half of the food), and that's why I communicated DH's savories/fruit preference to the CM 2 days prior. For any normal-appetite person, it was enough for a meal. I don't know if their hot cocoa is ok b/c DH only had the sparkling wine and coffee, so you might want to check that part if it's something you want.

I booked WOC dessert party online, noting the gluten allergy when I did so. Then I called a couple weeks prior to our trip and talked to a CM to make sure all of our reservations had his allergy clearly noted. The CM went through everything, and we chatted about how WOC food works. Then two days prior to our booked WOC date - a CM called to confirm the allergy and discuss the food options. I assume this is because they plan out the food restricted plates the day prior, so they want to make sure you're still planning to keep the res before they do that. I was very specific that DH would rather have more fruit and savories than sweets, and she noted all of that - and that may be why he got a ton of fruit but not as many desserts. His plate had the same cheeses and grapes as the regular plates, and he got his own bread. None of the sweets appearing on the regular plates were ok for him, so he had blueberries, strawberries, blackberries, and raspberries with a sweet yogurt dip, a chocolate-dipped strawberry, and some kind of tart (looked like a shortbread-ish base, with chocolate and berries). There was a lot of fruit on that plate; it was abundant, and he is a BIG eater but agrees. I neglected to snap a photo. They knew exactly which plate was his, no confusion, had some kind of label on it.

I think if you are more into sweets and are clear about that - your plate would potentially be different. Knowing about the cheese/bread/fruit parts in advance, we were treating this like a late dinner (rather than spending a ton on the party and only eating half of the food), and that's why I communicated DH's savories/fruit preference to the CM 2 days prior. For any normal-appetite person, it was enough for a meal. I don't know if their hot cocoa is ok b/c DH only had the sparkling wine and coffee, so you might want to check that part if it's something you want.

Thank you for taking the time to include all the details! This is so encouraging. All the desserts and breads would be out for me. I would be thrilled with a plate of cheese and berries...

Thank you for taking the time to include all the details! This is so encouraging. All the desserts and breads would be out for me. I would be thrilled with a plate of cheese and berries...
FYI - my DH's bread was gf, as were the desserts. I didn't state that specifically, but that is what I meant! He has celiac, so I shouldn't really use the "allergy" word, but that's how they flag gluten restrictions so I just went with their terminology. He doesn't have any actual allergies or other restrictions, purely just gf. :)

FYI - my DH's bread was gf, as were the desserts. I didn't state that specifically, but that is what I meant! He has celiac, so I shouldn't really use the "allergy" word, but that's how they flag gluten restrictions so I just went with their terminology. He doesn't have any actual allergies or other restrictions, purely just gf. :)

Thanks for the clarification. My restrictions include a few other things that take out the bread and desserts Next up...what can I drink. Sigh...can't do the alcohol, not much into coffee...too bad I am not 10 I could at least get a cool cup.

Thanks for the clarification. My restrictions include a few other things that take out the bread and desserts Next up...what can I drink. Sigh...can't do the alcohol, not much into coffee...too bad I am not 10 I could at least get a cool cup.
Oh, gotcha! I was worried that I hadn't been specific enough. :) Well, if the hot cocoa isn't ok, there is also non-alcoholic sparkling cider, if you can have that? Our waitress brought the kids each a small cup of that, and when she saw how quickly my son drank it - she asked if he would like more... and brought a giant cup back. :) Otherwise, I only remember water to drink.

Can anyone tell me about gluten free options for the Parade On-the-Go Package at Aladdin's Oasis? We are planning to do this for the MSEP and I'm currently assuming the options will be the same as the current PTN package at Aladdin's Oasis. I know what is on the regular menu, but is one of those options gluten free? Or do they offer a separate gluten free option?

(Or should I let DH and DD eat hear and get myself food somewhere else?)

Can anyone tell me about gluten free options for the Parade On-the-Go Package at Aladdin's Oasis? We are planning to do this for the MSEP and I'm currently assuming the options will be the same as the current PTN package at Aladdin's Oasis. I know what is on the regular menu, but is one of those options gluten free? Or do they offer a separate gluten free option?

(Or should I let DH and DD eat hear and get myself food somewhere else?)
We did the PTN package in April, so maybe things have changed, but DH had the chicken option - came with salad, green beans, a gf roll, and gf dessert (i think it was an Enjoy Life packaged thing). I think subbing the gf roll and dessert were the only alterations to what you would otherwise get when you order the chicken option.

We did the PTN package in April, so maybe things have changed, but DH had the chicken option - came with salad, green beans, a gf roll, and gf dessert (i think it was an Enjoy Life packaged thing). I think subbing the gf roll and dessert were the only alterations to what you would otherwise get when you order the chicken option.

Thank you!

Hi everyone,

I thought it might be helpful to put this in an older superthread than start a new one. I was curious if anyone who has celiac has been to the Red Rose Taverne - and if so what did you get and how was it? Do they have an allergy menu? I know sometimes those menus are misleading as they usually have stuff not listed you can ask for (Carthay Circle for instance). I have celiac and of course tell whoever is taking my order this (I know they do a great job all-around with this) but I love to know BEFORE waiting in a line if there are good options for me.

The last time I was in DL was last August. Any new yummy GF options in DL or DCA? Anything different I should be aware of?

Also, I think I read somewhere that fries that used to be celiac-safe are no longer safe. Is that true? I think most of the fries at DL are safe (dedicated fryer). I rarely eat them anymore but would love to in DL if possible!

And a final request. I'm going the beginning of June. If anyone has info about the GF options for the new Marvel food options (tacos and nachos!) I would be so happy to hear your thoughts about them!

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...f-heroes-at-disney-california-adventure-park/

Thanks in advance!

They have an allergy menu at RRT. I think for GF it was basically just the 2 burgers with a GF bun and possibly something taken off the beast burger. The summer of superheroes promo just started with soft opens yesterday, so not sure they've even started with the food yet.

Hi everyone,

I thought it might be helpful to put this in an older superthread than start a new one. I was curious if anyone who has celiac has been to the Red Rose Taverne - and if so what did you get and how was it? Do they have an allergy menu? I know sometimes those menus are misleading as they usually have stuff not listed you can ask for (Carthay Circle for instance). I have celiac and of course tell whoever is taking my order this (I know they do a great job all-around with this) but I love to know BEFORE waiting in a line if there are good options for me.

The last time I was in DL was last August. Any new yummy GF options in DL or DCA? Anything different I should be aware of?

Also, I think I read somewhere that fries that used to be celiac-safe are no longer safe. Is that true? I think most of the fries at DL are safe (dedicated fryer). I rarely eat them anymore but would love to in DL if possible!

And a final request. I'm going the beginning of June. If anyone has info about the GF options for the new Marvel food options (tacos and nachos!) I would be so happy to hear your thoughts about them!

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...f-heroes-at-disney-california-adventure-park/

Thanks in advance!

I went to Red Rose Taverne and had the beast burger. It was alright. The beef on beef thing was weird, and I'm not a fan of Disneyland's burgers in general, but I really wanted to eat there. I wish the poutine were GF because I would have tried that in a heartbeat. They did the garlic fries gluten free as well and those were delicious. They do have an allergy menu printed there that has the options.

This is part of a post by @squeezle on another thread. I've copied it here as it contains a link to the allergy menus. Scroll down past the WDW for the DL links.

Thanks squeezle!

I found this website that has a few (but not nearly all) of the allergen menus for Disneyland.... just scroll to the bottom: http://www.glutenfreedairyfreewdw.com/menus/. It helped me plan where I wanted to eat so we could make reservations in advance. However, like @StormyCA said, these are likely to change but they can give you an idea of what to expect when you dine there.

This is part of a post by @squeezle on another thread. I've copied it here as it contains a link to the allergy menus. Scroll down past the WDW for the DL links.

Thanks squeezle!

I found this website that has a few (but not nearly all) of the allergen menus for Disneyland.... just scroll to the bottom: http://www.glutenfreedairyfreewdw.com/menus/. It helped me plan where I wanted to eat so we could make reservations in advance. However, like @StormyCA said, these are likely to change but they can give you an idea of what to expect when you dine there.
Just a reminder that the argument for why City Hall stopped printed lists holds true with old copies of menus. Always check before ordering and don't go to a place assuming that the items you saw online will still be available or the ingredients will be the same.

We will be at Disneyland in February for our grandson’s 4th birthday. Does anyone know where we could get a gluten free cake or cupcake? We’ll be there a week while his dad attends a conference so if there isn’t anything in the parks, then what about a local bakery?

You have at least, maybe 2 options that I know of.

(1) Order a custom gluten free cake from Disney. I did this in 2014. I'd do this at least a week ahead of time - the sheet I have from 2014 said at least 5 days notice is required and they can email you info on your options (flavors, fillings, decorations). It's pricey but I had a beautiful 6" Cinderella decorated cake delivered to my d-day lunch at Storytellers. I believe you can have them delivered to your room, or to be served at a dining reservation (ADR). It's pricey and I"d say the cake was so-so - but so beautiful. Back in 2014 when we did this it was about $50 for a 6" cake which was 2x what the 3 of us needed (myself, DH and DD who was 4 at the time) - it looks like the current site says 6" starts at $60 now so I'd guess gluten free will be more like $75. https://disneyland.disney.go.com/events-tours/birthdays/

(2) I see there is a "Sprinkles" at Downtown Disney. The one near us sometimes has a red velvet gluten free cupcake which is tasty. Since this is a special occasion I'd call to confirm that location has them and would be baking some that day- and ideally pre-order one just to make sure they are not sold out when you get there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter