GKTW Question

mcmom

Mouseketeer
Hi

We are going on my son's wish trip in just 17 days. We are staying at GKTW. I have read on here that you should receive a welcome info packet. When does that packet come? Any tips on what to bring? (do you need to bring you own laundry soap) We are so excited and ready to go now! :earseek: We have been planning this trip for 9 months. We had to wait until Hunter turned 5 before MAW would grant his wish to travel out of the the local area. (new rule) We will be celebrating his birthday the 2nd day down there. I have learned so much from these boards alreay. Thanks for any advice for the trip.

Lori

You certainly don't need your own soap. Do you have wish coordinators? They should give you some advice on when you get what. Someone from GKTW will meet you at the airport in Orlando and give you directions etc. That part's all a bit blurry actually ha ha!

All I know is that you will have a great time! I can't think of a single thing we needed except sunglasses! Good news - there's a WalMart right down the street.

enjoy - and tell us all about it when you get back!

We were there in Sept. Has a great time. You do not need lundry soap, they have a bunch of sample packs there for you as well as dryer sheets. I did end up buying pre-treater for stains (shout) because i have 3 kids who get into any kind of dirt that is around and get really messy!

The village also puts some stuff in your fridge- we just went to wal-mart and got pop and munchies. they also give you a welcome "munchie" basket. We ended up bringing an extra bag to begin with, most of the space was used for all the stuff they give the kids. they give each child something everyday. they leave it in your villa on the table along with the newsletter.

There is a lot of stuff to do at the village. We borrowed one of the villages video cameras (they can be checked out for 2 days) it saved on packing space as we did not have to bring ours.

if you have any other questions, just post there are quite a few people who have been to GKTW and can answer most questions.

We got our list just a couple of days before we left. I am not sure if all wish coordinators do that or not. An extra bag for bringing all the things they give you is a great idea like Anne mentioned. I really can't think of anything that GKTW did not provide. Well except for any special needs things. We brought foods and drinks that they need that we weren't sure we could get there.

Just ask if there is anything that comes to your mind. I am sure someone here has the answer and will be glad to help. Have a great time!!!

The GKTW greeters won't be meeting us at the airport since we have extended his trip so we can do Daytona first for 3 days before we go to GKTW. We are paying for the Daytona part of our trip. As far as our Wish Granters go they are great people but they travel a lot for their buisness so they are rarely in town to speak to. I htink I have just heard from them 3 times in the 9 months it has taken to plan this all. So I have been learning as much as possible on here. (thank you everyone!!!) :love:

We have Hunter's party on the 10th to get the tickets and check at Chucky Cheese. The kids are looking forward to the party. They are ready to leave now for WDW (so am I!!!)

Thank you everyone for all the advice!
Lori
mom to :earsboy: Daktoa, :earsgirl: Maria, and :earsboy: Hunter

Hi we are due to go to GKTW in 21 days and I like you have very little info on what to expect. We are not going through MAW but a local cancer for children trust and they are very secretive about what to expect but they have said in big letters DO NOT OVERPACK. You will want for nothing!! but I am a bit bothered about that I would love to hear from anyone who has been also !! Can anyone tell me if you are told what park to go to on a certain day or are you left to your own devices ???
Thanks xxx :cheer2:

It all depends on if you have your own vehicle or not. (rental car)
When we were there, we decided what park to do what day. we did disney the first 3 days, universal then sea world.
You will get all the information you need at orientation. they have it the first night you are there.

I hear mention about a "Party"? We were just granted our trip and they
haven't given us our dates but do they throw a party for what?
Our son is doing great right now and so they are going to see what the end of March is like for the trip so I am surfing for answers to new questions. And does everyone talk with the volunteer more or their MAW case manager?
thanks

Hi,
Can you please tell me is the orentation for just the adults or does the whole family go along and how long does it last ??
Also can you please tell me if there is lots of comparing stories about ill children ??? I dread the conversation turning round to why everybody is there as we really want to use the holiday to get away from all that ! I would love to know if thats just a pipe dream or if everybody there has the same philosophy ???
Thanks again XXX :Pinkbounc

I know when we go I don't plan on telling what is wrong with our son...and as far as I have heard about GTKW they and no one asks...they treat you extra
special. We took our son to Poland for therapy and not once..unless we just told...did anyone ask "what's wrong with your son".
We ALL want just a normal vacation like other families and I think that is what we will receive at GTKW. I can't wait to get our dates.
Did I see you are traveling from England with 3 kids? That is an adventure in itself..enjoy the memories.

HI,
Not so sure I would use the word adventure I am dreading the boys playing up for the whole flight my youngest is 2 and not the quietest or stillest of children. Oh well I just pity anyone else on our flight !!

I was really pleased to see that you felt the same about not constantly talking about the childrens illness I know GKTW is the best place to go for that extra special touch but I was a bit worried that it could be a bit invasive.

Are you flying first Class? I asked for us to go First Class because of the number of seizures he has...and they said that is the only way MAW sends the families. But maybe because you are UK it is different. But ask. It has TONS more room for the little one and less people.

Enjoy yourself and take LOTS of pictures...

Orientation- one adult needs to go. That is where you get your tickets and all the info you need.

Hi J-me,
We are flying with virgin as a Vip so I presume that that means it will be first class we have been told to expect some nice surprises but our charity are very secretive about everything im guessing that they dont want to spoil the surprise. I cant find out what to expect as it is not a wish foundation but a childrens cancer trust and they approached us and I cant find anybody anywhere that have been with them. I have spoke to a lot families which have asked to go to disney through make a wish and in the uk you are usually sent to DLP . We have already been to DLP before my son was ill and he loved it but some how returning to there did not appeal( too many memories of easier times ) we said this to our cancer nurse and then we were approached by this charity so I guess we will have a different experience to everybody who is there through a wish foundation.

Its a bit of a shame that you will have left by the time we get there it would have been fun to have met up with someone that you have had virtual chats with !!

Have a great time and let me know how you get on when you get back.
Love Louise xx x
I am also guessing that we will be the only ones from England at GKTW as I have posted a question about GKTW on the uk forum and nobody has a clue what it is let alone anyone having been there.

We don't have our dates yet...
We are hoping for the last week in March but they will get back with us in the
next week or so. Our son is doing so much better right now ...who knows what 4-6 months will be. He has a brain condition and CP. It will be the most awesome experience for him..he is very visual and audio...because he can't walk,talk, eat or sit..but he loves life and all the activities others do around him.

Enjoy the trip. I know there is going to be WAY to much to do. Someone said to make a list of 2 or 3 things each member wants to do daily..and don't try to do EVERYTHING..it won't be a relaxing vacation. Take Afternoon naps and go back in the evening.
I have been 3 times but not with my family.

Have a safe trip

We have had our dates for just under a year so sorry for my ignorance I thought everybody knew well in advance !! I wish we had not told our children it would have been so awesome to have woken them up on the morning of the flight but I was so excited when we recievied a letter asking us to pick a date that I could not help myself but tell them !! do your little darlings know ?? Do you get to pick a date or do you have to wait to be told when theres a vacancy ?? Let me now when you have a definate date at least one of us might be able to help the other out with some info !!

J-me
We were there in Sept. we were approved in Aug. and had wanted to wait for christmas. We went the 3rd week in sept. If need be, they can "rush" everything thru. we had to make out trip sooner than planned. DD was going thru evaluation for transplant. (we are still not listed) she has had issues with low white count and had to have a bone marrow biopsy. she should be listed by next month, I hope. Disney World is one of her most favorite places. Make a Wish had points of light giving campaign here this christmas season. They featured 50 kids one on each tree. there was a picture and a story about their wish. I have the laminated board that they tied to each tree. Make a Wish sent it to us. :love:

Our son who is receiving the trip knows everything...but he can't speak so there is no way to spill the beans to big sister (12yr) who has wanted to go since she could speak...really!!! She knows we were granted a trip and that it is Disney but she doesn't know the dates...nor do we yet. I think when we get the dates we are not going to tell her but wake her up on that day. So she can still plan, dream, organize...but the date is all that she is missing. It will be the best!!
I just can't wait to know the dates. I have had the list of "what to do and see and where to eat" done for a month now...There is soooooo much to do
we are not going to try to most of it. Just go Alex's pace and what he wants to see and how long of a day he can handle. I am sooooooooo sure we will get our fill.

j-me

When do you receive the packet to welcome you to GKTW in the mail. We are leaving in 9 days!!! :banana: :cheer2: The only thing we have received was a post card a couple of months ago saying we would be receiving an info welcome packet shortly. For those that have stayed there how many days, weeks before your trip did you receive yours?

Thanks!
Lori

j-me said:
Our son who is receiving the trip knows everything...but he can't speak so there is no way to spill the beans to big sister (12yr) who has wanted to go since she could speak...really!!! She knows we were granted a trip and that it is Disney but she doesn't know the dates...nor do we yet. I think when we get the dates we are not going to tell her but wake her up on that day. So she can still plan, dream, organize...but the date is all that she is missing. It will be the best!!
I just can't wait to know the dates. I have had the list of "what to do and see and where to eat" done for a month now...There is soooooo much to do
we are not going to try to most of it. Just go Alex's pace and what he wants to see and how long of a day he can handle. I am sooooooooo sure we will get our fill.

j-me

I know what you mean we too will be going atds pace and have made a list of things that we all want to do and as long as we get to do them we will all be very happy. All I want from it really is a decent break from the hospital and to see my 3 boys all smiling together. Oh and to return to rainy england with a decent sun tan !!! :umbrella:

My kids are well into preparing and have watched the wdw planning dvd about thirty times they seem most excited about the shows and the rides dont really bother them!! A bit little I think :grouphug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter