Gifts and tips for staff

Mich123

DIS Veteran
I've seen mention of small gifts for the stateroom host and other staff members. I think this is a really nice idea and I'm wondering what people give and when do you give the gift? A candy treat every day for the stateroom host? A box of chocolates for the servers? Is the theory behind this that it's nice to give something along the way because the tips aren't given out until the end?

Thanks for your help!

I've seen mention of small gifts for the stateroom host and other staff members. I think this is a really nice idea and I'm wondering what people give and when do you give the gift? A candy treat every day for the stateroom host? A box of chocolates for the servers? Is the theory behind this that it's nice to give something along the way because the tips aren't given out until the end?

Thanks for your help!
I increase the tip to show appreciation. Not everyone wants/can eat sweets.

Increased tip.

AND mention them on the comment card at the end of the cruise OR if someone does something during the cruise you can go to Guest Services and ask for a recognition card, fill it out, and give it to them. Those mentions mean FAR more in the long run than any candy or trinkets (that they really do NOT have room for anyway) to the hard-working crew as those lead to little perks like extra time off during a week and are looked super favorably upon when annual reviews come up - both for raises and for promotions.

Thanks for your help!
As noted, an increase in the amount you give for tips is generally a better idea than gifts. Crew members have limited space onboard the ships. And you're not sure they can eat whatever food products you'd give them.

Money and being mentioned by name on the comment card. That’s it.

American chocolate should barely be called that. No need for us to be showing off our sub par chocolate skills. :)

Money. And name being mentioned. And smile and say please and thank you. :)

I talked to a dining room server once and he told me that they get days off by their scores on the comment cards!!! So make sure to write down the names of anyone along the way that stands out as helpful. Also we give extra tips at the end as well because like others said, they don't have room for alot of collectibles and they don't go home to their families each night, so money is the best thing!

I talked to a dining room server once and he told me that they get days off by their scores on the comment cards!!!

That is SO good to know! I'm sure they appreciate some money and the possibility of some extra down time very much - I'll be sure to do this.

Did someone mention money is the best and only gift you should give? The only time I would give anything else is if I had something "left over" (not sure what that would be) and I would leave it in addition to - money!

Most people get paid by the week or bi-weekly. The crew is accustomed to that. I agree that $$$ and good comments are the way to go.

I usually bring a pack of "Thank You" cards with me and put the extra tip in there with a short note. I give them to the servers and stateroom host the last night of the cruise because the next morning is very hectic for them.

when i researched my last cruise - there were some great suggestions - like international calling cards with access numbers for the port of call countries. i do bring little things for the staff - i live overseas so bring things like special soaps (ie artisan olive oil soaps). For the wait staff - i got key chains with bottle openers based on the theme of the city i live in. i usually give this toward the beginning of the cruise with a short note card of advance thanks and a little note about our family. On top of gratuities I take advantage of comment cards to mention staff who stood out

Thanks for your help!
They like cash the best.

Do you actually put cash inside the envelope?
And can anyone give any range/percentage about how much you can increase the tip (I know it is a personal choice but as I'm not coming from a tipping country for these services, I'm not really comfortable with what is considered a decent increase in the tip so any range would give me a general idea and never mind if the question is too personal, I apologize in advance... )

Do you actually put cash inside the envelope?
And can anyone give any range/percentage about how much you can increase the tip (I know it is a personal choice but as I'm not coming from a tipping country for these services, I'm not really comfortable with what is considered a decent increase in the tip so any range would give me a general idea and never mind if the question is too personal, I apologize in advance... )
In reality, a tip for extra/good service it totally up to you what you think the service is worth to you. To one person the same extra attention might be worth $20, while another thinks it's worth $50, or only $2.00.

Typically, if the room host, dining servers do an adequate job, the auto gratuity is usually sufficient. If they seem to go out of the way to do something special for you, an extra tip could be called for, but it's your call what that extra is worth to you.

Generally, (and I mean really generally) we tip $20-40 extra, when warranted.

Sorry, I can't help more.

Thanks very much, giving me an example is definitely of a great help! But then, the cash is inside the envelope and you give it just before leaving the ship or the night before?

Thanks very much, giving me an example is definitely of a great help! But then, the cash is inside the envelope and you give it just before leaving the ship or the night before?
Two nights before the end of the cruise, you'll get a coupon sheet & envelopes in your room. These coupons reflect the auto-gratuities. Each coupon indicated the position/name/and amount that the gratuity is for.
gratuities sheet 2014 0220 P1040185 1500a.jpg

You separate the coupons and place them in the co-responding envelope (plus any additional gratuity - cash is fine) to be handed out to the respective persons.
gratuities envelopes 1500.jpg

Usually we hand the envelopes directly to each person. Some people just leave the one for the room host in the room for them to pick up when cleaning up the next day/evening. It's a good idea to hand out the envelopes by the last night, as you may or may not actually see your dining servers the last morning.

We always receive fantastic service, we always add cash to the envelopes, they like this.
We also will give gifts which are greatly appreciated, I know as I have FB friends with crew members.
We have given English Cadbury chocolate, much sought after, local telephone service cards, so they can have private calls. Etc. Just think outside the box, they love an additional gift, I am away if them having a little cabin party and sharing out gifts like the chocolate.

Always hand tips as mistakes occur, and occasionally automatically charged tips go to the wrong person, unless they have the ticket to rectify.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter