gift card - onboard credit under "onboard gifts" refunded automatically?

anricat

DIS Veteran
On our past cruises we've always put a large gift card on file once onboard the ship that can be drawn upon. At the end of the cruise the money always just went back. On our last three cruises I've had to stop at guest services to get the money put back on manually (the first two times on disembarkation morning when I literally got flagged trying to get off the ship and the last time I got wise and did it the night before, but the line is still horrendous). I don't know why they've changed it, but I'm tired of that line at guest services the night before or disembarkation morning.

If I put money from my gift card as a gift under onboard gifts and amenities and we don't use it all, will I still have to make that stop at guest services to have it put back in or will that one be automatic?

I doubt it- typically on board credit not used is a loss.
That is only if DCL gives you an OBC as a perk.
If you purchase an OBC you should get any unused amount back. I put $1000 in OBC on my room back in December (I used my Disney Visa) and I received the balance back on my CC within 7 days of returning home.
I have my travel agent do this for me and then Chase gives me 6 months interest free to pay it back

I just added the OBC as gifts yesterday. I asked the cast member on the phone twice if any unused would be refunded and she said it would absolutely be refunded. I used 2 gift cards and also from my visa rewards.

I used a Disney gift card for onboard credit in July 2023 and the leftover balance was automatically refunded back to the gift card. I’m not sure how long it took exactly, but less than a week for sure.
Did you apply the GC to your account after you boarded, or online beforehand, or by calling beforehand? We embark on 1/21 and have a DGC and a Disney Visa Rewards card we want to apply. If we apply it after we board, I assume that’s done at Guest Services and we can do anytime on embarkation day?

Did you apply the GC to your account after you boarded, or online beforehand, or by calling beforehand? We embark on 1/21 and have a DGC and a Disney Visa Rewards card we want to apply. If we apply it after we board, I assume that’s done at Guest Services and we can do anytime on embarkation day?
Yes, if you want to apply a gift card or reward card, you can stop by Guest Services at any time. Once your balance reaches several hundred dollars your credit card on file may be charged, so you will want to apply the gift card as soon as you know you have charged (or are sure you will charge) at least the amount on the card. Once I was not allowed to apply a greater amount that I had already charged, but another time I was able to temporarily have a credit balance, so that may vary by cast member.

Yes, if you want to apply a gift card or reward card, you can stop by Guest Services at any time. Once your balance reaches several hundred dollars your credit card on file may be charged, so you will want to apply the gift card as soon as you know you have charged (or are sure you will charge) at least the amount on the card. Once I was not allowed to apply a greater amount that I had already charged, but another time I was able to temporarily have a credit balance, so that may vary by cast member.
Thanks - although now I’m confused by your experience compared to that of others above, who had an unused balance refunded to their GCs after their cruises. Hoping for more clarity.

My last cruise was this past June. I used a gift card to purchase OBC through onboard gifts on the website beforehand. My leftover credit was refunded to the original gift card after my cruise.

Last month when we cruised we were told the same thing. I went to add a GC to our account and was told I’d have to return to have balance credited back at the end of the cruise. GS tried to tell me this is how it’s always been and I was like nope not true.

I went to add a GC to our account and was told I’d have to return to have balance credited back at the end of the cruise.
At least they told you to return! When we tried to disembark the first time after this change, a giant red X came up over my picture and it made a loud buzzing noise. I felt like a criminal or something!

My last cruise was this past June. I used a gift card to purchase OBC through onboard gifts on the website beforehand. My leftover credit was refunded to the original gift card after my cruise.
What is this leftover credit you speak of??? LMAO I spent so much i used all my OBC and money came out of my credit card! hahahahah

With your experience, I would not expect leftover OBC to be automatically returned.

It should have been when you applied the Gift Card - but wasn’t.

Refundable OBCs or gift card card deposits are supposed to be credited to form of original payment.

You were just the victim of a glitch in the system. Multiple times, it appears.
Apparently, you are going to have to be vigilant.

I have my fingers crossed that this will change for you - for the better. It’s supposed to be easy. And usually is, it seems.
Good luck! Hope it’s a great cruise. 🚢

We disembarked on Sunday. My gift card is still showing a zero balance. When I was onboard it did say "refundable" so I would think it's coming back...

On the fantasy now. Put Disney gift cards as onboard credit before sailing. They show in the app as refundable.

On the fantasy now. Put Disney gift cards as onboard credit before sailing. They show in the app as refundable.
Yeah, that's how it showed for me too. But do I need to DO something to get it to refund? Seems like it should be back by now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter