Gift Card for Fish Extender Gift?

I guess you can pass it on to someone else. I am sure someone would love to get pixie dusted with a gift card.
Again, its not that I wouldn't use a disney giftcard but it would likely be months before I did. I wouldn't until my next Disney trip. The whole point of the fish extender is the idea of gifts. Its a fun thing to get involved. If you don't want to get involved you don't have to. They bring up traveling a long way which I can assume means they're worried about space. If they're buying for 13 cabins that means they're also going to receive a bunch of gifts they're not going to have space for.

I mean look at it this way. If everyone started just giving gift cards what is the point? Kinda loses its magic if you give someone $10 and they give you $10 back. The magic of FE is the surprises in the gifts. I think a gift card is meh. Not that it can't be done and just because I won't use it on THAT cruise doesn't mean I have to give it away.

I'm someone who hand makes my gifts. Spent months researching what I want to make finding quality supplies and custom making things for everyone. There's plenty of options out there for people who aren't crafty or creative without essentially just handing people the obligatory $$ to spend back.

I would definitely find ways to use a gift card if it’s our FE gift, but wouldn’t be super excited about it. Maybe if you are in an adult only group it’d be different, but if you signed up for cabin gifts and they have children I’d vote no.
I have young children and mainly signed up for FE for them to have the excitement of getting treats they can use on the cruise. At their age, they don’t really understand the concept of money and would be happier getting a cheap princess coloring book and crayons from the dollar tree for $2 than a $15 gift card.

I appreciate the honesty! I think I’ll do the gift card + a small gift since I bought them already. TY!!
I’m glad you have a little something to put it with. Also I want to let you know I thought $15 was very generous. I’m glad you have something that you feel good with. FE’s are so stressful sometimes.

Is a $15 Disney gift card per room an acceptable fish extender gift? I’m not creative and I’m traveling a long way. Also, this is my first tine doing this and I signed up for like 3 groups so I have 13 room to gift lol. Is a gift card too lame? Or is $15 too little amount? Thanks!!
I wouldn't say it was exactly lame, but I don't think it's a good idea. Sadly, it's not unusual that things disappear from FEs.

Is a $15 Disney gift card per room an acceptable fish extender gift? I’m not creative and I’m traveling a long way. Also, this is my first tine doing this and I signed up for like 3 groups so I have 13 room to gift lol. Is a gift card too lame? Or is $15 too little amount? Thanks!!

Have you considered, and maybe this has been suggested, instead of a $15 gift card, doing a $15 stateroom credit?

Have you considered, and maybe this has been suggested, instead of a $15 gift card, doing a $15 stateroom credit?
While I think a giftcard might be ok, I think a stateroom credit would be totally lame. If that's all you're going to do, why bother?

A Disney gift card can be used after the cruise, whereas a stateroom credit cannot. OP should stick with the gift card, if she's going that route. Recipients can always apply the gift card to their stateroom account if they wish.

Is a $15 Disney gift card per room an acceptable fish extender gift? I’m not creative and I’m traveling a long way.
That's a perfectly fine gift, OP. I've been doing Fish Extenders for the past several years, and while a gift card isn't "creative", I'm sure it will be welcome to everyone who receives it. On my cruise last month, I got some lovely Fish Extender gifts. One gift, though, was just a pack of gum. Yes, you got that. A pack of gum. And not some special type of gum. Just an ordinary pack of gum with a homemade FE label from the giver. Yeah. That kind of thing isn't typical with FEs, but it does happen occasionally. Contrast that with a $15 gift card. I've never received a gift card in all of the years I've done FEs, so while it isn't creative, it also isn't ordinary.

Last edited:

I would be happy to get a gift card… I think it should be low pressure. Not everything needs to be personalized, crafty, or overly thoughtful in my opinion and $10-15 is a nice amount to gift a stranger. It would be nice to get a treat/ drink that costs extra without thinking about it adding to your stateroom bill

I don't think a GC is lame at all. So many (not everyone) give plastic dollar store stuff in the FE's I would appreciate a GC. $15 is very generous. I would use it in the shops or for a drink and it would be very much appreciated.

I don't know what denominations this comes in but they are at the ShopDisney site. I love the DCL design. I believe they also sell these onboard. I think it would be great for an adult or child.

DCL GIFT CARD.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter