GF concierge, main building - food changes

Magyar,

I have been researching the GF Concierge the last couple of days because we were considering switching from CR 14th floor to the RPC. Before I read your post, I also had the same impression about the quantity of food served for lunch and in the evening.

We stayed at the Poly Concierge last summer and their offerings were more than enough to satisfy our family for dinner. We ate a large lunch each day and because of the heat, we were never exceptionally hungry. We also appreciated that the Poly left out bottled water and soda 24 hours a day for their guests. The only thing we didn't like about the Poly was their guestrooms.

However, it appears that we will most likely return there next summer as the RPC doesn't sound appealing for our family and I'm concerned about the pool at the CR (we want a zero entry pool).

Sorry you were disappointed with your stay.

Teresa

I guess I'm a little confused. I'm not sure why one would want to run back and forth to the resort at meal times just to eat? Wouldn't that mess up your park time? I couldn't see myself heading back and forth for a few free hors d'oeuvre and soda. If the resorts were truly making full meals for paid concierge guests there wouldn't be incentive to spend $ at other WDW restaurants when you could have it for free. Full meals would mean less time in the parks which is where Disney wants you to be (spending money that is) I guess I always thought of concierge for service and location provided rather than the minimal food offerings.

Sounds to me like nothing has changed at the RPC from our May visit. Rude CMs, poor food offerings, weak management was the rule, not the exception. I posted my thoughts in May, as did many other posters on this board, so there is information here about the problems at the RPC.

I do agree that concierge food is not intended to be a meal. That said, it is never appropriate for anyone working at the GF to be rude to a guest.

Glad to hear that the GF has a new GM. THe old one should have been fired years ago. Hopefully, they did not move her to the BC (can you guess where our next trip is? ;) )

Magyar thanks for your opinions on GF Coincierge. Don't let the "all pixie dust, all the time" crowd get you down. I too would have been disappointed with what you described for the prices you pay.

I think the problem with the concierge service at WDW resorts is that each resort runs their concierge differently. If you tried (or were told about) one WDW conceirge, you might expect all of them to be the same. One serves hot chocolate, the other doesn't. One has wrapped PB&J sandwiches, the other doesen't. One lets you carry water bottles to the park/room. The other makes you drink from glasses that can't be removed from the lounge. Etc., Etc.

Then, like magyar2's experience, concierges decide to change their menu and not inform guests who are already booked. I really don't think she was expecting a "meal". She was just expecting certain foods/beverages that weren't there for her.

Originally posted by SeaSpray
I've been reading this web site steadily for about 2 years now and I don't ever remember reading where someone said they had bottled water or drinks of any kind to take to the parks. In fact, it's often been said that the Polynesian has had these items, smaller water bottles that they let you take with you, but never the GF, and everyone has always wondered WHY their "flagship resort" wouldn't have at least what one of their other deluxe resorts has.

Don't get me wrong, I've stayed at the GF and loved it and will probably stay there again. But after reading many, many posts about GF concierge, I would never stay there in a concierge room.

On the otherhand, I would love to try the Polynesian's concierge some day. Not for the food, so much as for the friendliness and attitudes of the concierge CMs there, as opposed to the unfriendly ones I keep reading about at the GF concierge.

I also keep hearing wonderful things about the YC concierge.

Well, it's a shame you are giving up on the Grand's concierge already, when you haven't even stayed there yourself to experience it! LOL I would absolutely not call them unfriendly at all!!

I am checking in this weekend to the GF RPC and will post a full report when I get back. We stayed at the AKL concierge in April and the Poly concierge in August (can't pass up the opportunity now that we live in Florida!) and will let you all know how it goes. SO far I have been very impressed with Jeremy and his help with my pre-trip plans. I am going mainly to enjoy the Christmas decorations. More next week. Happy Holidays!

Originally posted by CaliforniaDreaming
The GF FAQ has no lunch hour foods listed. If anyone wishes, I will remove all concierge information from the FAQ to prevent 'expectations' from being too high.

Don't be silly! Your FAQ is perfect just as it is. However people chose to interpret it is *their* business, and not for you to worry about!

Cali D,did not mean to offend you with reference to FAQ. It is an excellent source of info. However,to those who are new to this it may be confusing,especially when readiing Judi's description on the FAQ. Not everyone is fortunate enough to be a Disney veteran. Perhaps a clarification on the FAQ regarding the intended use of concierge lounge would be useful to neophytes.
This might avoid furure threads such as this one.

We also have been working with Jeremy at GF. for our late January '03 trip He's been excellent-energetic, creative ideas, patient and very forthright. (Though he still hasn't replied to our e-mail from last week, imagine he's busy w/Christmas crowds coming in). Hopefully we have realistic expectations on the food offering at Sugar Loaf - a light snack to tide the 1 and 4 year olds between meals, and a sampling of the GF chef's dishes. In discussions with Jeremy he made it very clear that these were snack buffets and did not try to oversell the offering.
For ourselves we are attracted to concierge to have some one help us out with the bumps that happen during vacations.:earsgirl: :earsgirl: :earsboy:

For ourselves we are attracted to concierge to have some one help us out with the bumps that happen during vacation.

I completely agree with you, we find that by spending the few extra $$$ you are garunteed that any hic-up or trouble that happens whilst you are on vacation, there is a dedicated selection of friendly CM's to help and assist you. The Concierge Lounge is IMO, just a bonus and a great help for us with a 3y/o DS to tide him over between meals, and have a nice start to the day with a simple breakfast.

Finally, someone who has posted an understandable reply about the GF concierge. I have been tp the CR and YC concierge and I have never assumed or thought that the conceirge lounge would be a for substitute meals. One of the reasons I book the concierge is for a quick wholesome breakfast and evening snacks for the kids. I would NEVER consider visiting the concierge lounge for lunch or dinner. If I happened to be passing by aroung that time and it was open I would "check it out" but would never assume it would take the place of a proper dinning area. There are three different subject posts on this board right now about the GF concierge and most of them are complaints. The concierge lounge is for people who want a more personalized service and are willing to pay for that service. I am booked into the RPC for May and can not wait

"...we find that by spending the few extra $$$ you are garunteed that any hic-up or trouble that happens whilst you are on vacation, there is a dedicated selection of friendly CM's to help and assist you."

Be careful. In theory, I would agree that is the role of the CMs in concierge. We stayed at the RPC for about 2 weeks in May. The CMs that worked in the RPC at that time, other than Mejay (who is outstanding), were horrible. They were not helpful; infact, some were quite rude and did little to assist us with minor things such as PS changes, etc. Hopefully, the staff has been changed.

Replace meals???? LOL, while my wife was getting ready for dinner, I would be in the lounge stuffing myself, after dinner stop by for a snack....the word 'augment' might work, but never 'replace'.

I just hope that the Poly staff and food offering are half as good as AKL was, that will be enough.

I am starting to be glad that RPC was filled and not available for my Jan trip.

Did I miss the post in one of these threads where someone actually says any Concierge lounge serves meals?

From what I have read, not only in this thread but every other thread I have read, people write that you could make a meal out of the offerings or I was too stuffed to eat lunch or dinner. Hey, if you like M & M's alot you could make a meal out of them...not a good meal but a meal just the same.

AKL concierge had grilled chicken on skewers. I don't know about you but, 3 or 4 of those, some fruit, nuts and a drink...that's a meal for me.

I don't feel that the original poster was suggesting she expected a meal just a more substantial offering.

It also doesn't sound like she was being a jerk when she questioned what she was offered. Even if she was, staff has the duty to be polite and helpful. Especially the Concierge staff...that is what you pay for.

As far as expecting too much... I can't tell you what to expect, nor can anyone else. All we can do is share our experiences. Unfortunately, these experiences are ours and are only indications of how your vacation could be. They are not, in most cases, what is policy for WDW.

Originally posted by jdads2
As far as expecting too much... I can't tell you what to expect, nor can anyone else. All we can do is share our experiences.

Good point, Dave. That was my intention when posting my own RPC review--sharing my experience. It certainly doesn't mean that someone else will encounter the same things. I just like to post an honest account of my own trip experiences, good or bad.

We have stayed at the CR 14th Floor Concierge twice. Both times the staff was excellent - very friendly and helpful. The food offerings at breakfast were more than ample to tide one over until lunch in the parks. Snacks were along the lines of cookies, brownies, fruit. There were sandwich quarters out (cannot remember exactly what time of day), cheese, fruit and wine. In the evenings there were samples of dishes from the California Grill and later, samples of desserts. Enough food to take the edge off - we usually only ate one big meal during the days and noshed off the offerings. We grabbed a piece of fruit for the kids to take to the park. They provided beer for my hubby (let us keep it in the room fridge), milk for the kids and all the sodas we wanted. Add all of this to the most spectacular view in the lounge, and the 14th Floor just can't be beat!

Sorry you were dissappointed with GF. One does expect to have service and a little "extra" for the amount of money they charge for concierge level. Otherwise, you could have booked a regular room and saved yourself a lot of money.

I'm sure there are a few others here who'll remember the "good old days" at the RPC. When each night featured a different chef from one of the GF restaurants cooking a specialty dish right in the middle of the lounge. I think that the offerings here have become less substantial over the years and can probably be blamed on cut backs. Nothing that would stop us from going back though, it's still one of our all time favorites.

Tammi

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter