GF concierge, main building - food changes

magyar2

I really want a vacation!
Just came home from 2 days at the GF concierge and Disney cruise. We were at GF from 12/5 to 12/7, stayed in the main building, 4th floor, room 4420 (I think?), with a view of Space Mountain. We have never before been in concierge, so this is a first timer's opinion.

Upon arrival, our jaws were on the floor. It was gorgeous, and that was just the entryway! The decorations are beautiful, the carolers in the evening were a nice touch, the music, the flowers, the room, even the employees (save one) were excellent. The food, however, not what I expected.

I had read here and on other sites the food offerings at the concierge in the GF, and we had planned out our day to be there for the main meal times, since what I had read stated that there was plenty to make a meal of (we were trying to not spend money on food in the parks since we would be overeating on the cruise in just a couple days).

The first night was ok, chicken nuggets in the kids section and some stuff on crackers for the adults. The evening snacks were yummy, and breakfast had a good assortment. Lunch, however, was crackers and cheese. That's it. Not at all what I had read on other people's comments, nor what I had heard back from someone that had just returned from Beach Club concierge.

I went and spoke to concierge, and was met by a very rude man that informed me that the food was not meant to make a meal of, that there are restaurants for that. Oh, really? Then the point of spending big bucks for concierge is so that I can visit with rude people on level 3? I insisted on speaking with a manager then.

The manager came around, and said that in the last 2 weeks or so, they had changed the menus to relect more of the "Grand Floridian's ambience". I informed him that he needed to get the word out then, because the information I had was apparently very outdated. He told me that next time I should look into the Polynesian or Beach club concierge, as they offered more food choices (and the bottled drinks that you could take with you to the parks or your room, as GF does not offer that anymore, either).

So, long story short, the Grand Floridian has apparently changed its offerings in the last few weeks. We were not happy, as we had been looking forward to the different items that we had thought were there. We won't be staying there again, as it just is not worth it for us to pay that money and not get our money's worth for it.

But, I guess I have an excuse to try the Poly next time!

Oh my, I am so disappointed. We are staying there in about three days! Since I have small children we don't normally make it to the lounge for meal times but still, I would expect more substantial offerings at Disney's premier/flagship resort! I will definately post a report when I get back next week. The main reason we are staying there this time is for the Christmas ambiance, which thankfully, everyone says is still the best! Thanks for the report.

Oh, one thing. The RPC concierge staff did call me yesterday to find out if there were any last minute plans I would like assistance with, so that was impressive to me. Only the AKL concierge has done that. And they scored last minute Cinderella breakfast reservations for my daughter's birthday. So far, so good!

Thanks for the information. Wow--what a change! When we were there in February, the afternoon offerings were more "substantial". There were small finger-type sandwiches, marinated veggies, assorted cheeses and a couple other appetizer type selections. One thing I did notice is that these offering were very limited in terms of timing. The offerings I mentioned were from something like 2PM to 4PM only. Then, the rest of the time, they only had cheese/crackers, fruit, etc. Do you think it was the time of day you visited the lounge? Or, was this never the case during your visit?

Sorry to hear about the CM you encountered. I was less than impressed with the interactions I had with RPC during our stay. The advance planners I worked with were great but I had several bad experiences with the CM's at RPC once I got there. They seemed very indifferent, rarely smiled and were generally unhelpful with a few small requests. One request was a PS at 1900 Park Fare that they said they couldn't book for me (all sold out) but somehow I was able to get on my own several minutes later by calling WDW-Dine from my room phone. Now, I know availability can change constantly but you'd think they'd offer to keep trying for me. Instead, they said it's not available and sent me on my way. Another was asking them to re-confirm a class I was taking at Typhoon Lagoon--they gave me the number to call on my own rather than taking care of it for me. I'm not a "hard to please" kind of person and I was a little surprised by the service/attitudes (especially considering the GF is my favorite resort and I go back year after year b/c the CM are so friendly and helpful). For the extra $150/day, I guess I had higher expectations for RPC.

Thanks for posting and welcome home! :)

Years ago, my first few experiences with the GF’s concierge staff were wonderful, but as the years wore on, my experiences were less than stellar. I was really hopeful that things had improved over there, and thought they might have, until I read your trip report just now.

Over the years I have never found the food offerings in the Royal Palm Club to be anything more than what I considered munchies. I am truly sorry that you were lead to believe that they were more substantial. I just took a look at the official www.disneyworld.com website in regards to the GF and its concierge service, and I found the following:

- - - - - - -
Concierge Service:

Some rooms offer concierge service at the Royal Palm Club and Sugar Loaf, which includes personalized front desk and guest services. Make-up mirror, turndown service, and lounge with continental breakfast, midday snacks and afternoon tea are provided by both Concierge levels. Sugar Loaf also provides a Twilight Refresher in the evening. Wine, cordials and dessert are served at the Royal Palm Club only.
- - - - - - -

It states snacks in the afternoon and desserts & cordials in the evening, certainly nothing that would hopefully lead anyone to believe that a full meal could be made out of the offerings. However, the concierge Cast Member had no right to be rude to you regarding your question about the lounge’s food offerings. I am sure your question was genuine and not intended to put anyone on the offense. His response was inexcusable, but according to Misti’s recent Royal Palm Club stay, sadly common.

Even though my family has had problems with service while being concierge guests at the GF, for some odd reason it still remains my husband’s favorite resort (he’s quirky that way). The resort really is beautiful and I hope you still had a lovely stay there in spite of the problems that you encountered. If you have photos to share, please post the link to them (we Dis’ers love to view our fellow Dis’ers’ vacation photos). I haven’t stayed at the Poly yet, but I have read that its service is wonderful and the munchies in its lounge are varied. Of course the official WDW website states basically the same thing regarding the Poly’s concierge service as it does for the GF, so I will not expect anything more than snacks. But I will remain hopeful that its service continues to be topnotch. I’ll be awaiting your upcoming Poly concierge trip report.

This has all been my humble opinion, and others’ opinions will vary, as it should be.

Hi magyar2

While I agree that no one should be spoken to in a rude manner I have to say that the purpose of concierge service is not to provide meals and or water/soda for the parks.

We have never stayed concierge before but will be in Feb at the AKL and everything I have read has led me to believe that there is snack food avaiable throughout the day and that depending on how big of breakfast eater you are the only meal you might be able to make would be breakfast if you are the type to just grab a pastery and coffee/tea/juice.

I am sorry that the reviews that you read led you to believe otherwise but concierge is not meant as meal replacement.

Originally posted by Tiffany
Hi magyar2

While I agree that no one should be spoken to in a rude manner I have to say that the purpose of concierge service is not to provide meals and or water/soda for the parks.

We have never stayed concierge before but will be in Feb at the AKL and everything I have read has led me to believe that there is snack food avaiable throughout the day and that depending on how big of breakfast eater you are the only meal you might be able to make would be breakfast if you are the type to just grab a pastery and coffee/tea/juice.

I am sorry that the reviews that you read led you to believe otherwise but concierge is not meant as meal replacement.

I don't mean to be rude either, but I have to agree with Tiffany on this. It's never been advertised that any of the concierge lounges are meant to be substantial enough to make for a meal. It's just a plus that if you happen to have a small appetite, it can supplement it.

Originally posted by Tiffany

That is true. They only have snacks and appetizers in the afternoon/evenings. The continental breakfast is the only "meal" that is provided.

Before booking the GF concierge, I did a search for other people's experiences there, and printed out a few of them that stated what was offered at each "meal". Lunch has offered peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and little meat sandwiches, also water and pop that you can take to the parks with you. The manager I spoke with said that while that was true in the past, they had changed it within the last few weeks. So, it was available, and it is what we were expecting.

We would never have stayed at GF if not for my MIL. She is in a wheelchair and was to be coming down with us and she wanted to be on the monorail, in concierge, at the GF, so after I showed her what was available there, she said to book it. One week before we were to leave, her dr. did not clear her to go on the cruise with us, and so she did not come, but we kept the booking. As a travel agent, I figured it was a good idea to see as many hotels in WDW as possible so that I could be better informed for my clients ;). I am glad I kept the reservation, for now I know that if my clients with families are going to WDW and want to stay in concierge, I will recommend Beach Club due to my other clients' glowing reviews.

For the amount of money that one pays to stay in GF concierge, I expect more than turn-down service and people sitting on level 3 doing the same things I can do for myself (for a lot less money). Yes, the hotel is beautiful, the decorating is lovely, but I was expecting what I had read from other people's experiences, and I did not receive that. The manager told me that for people with families, Polynesian and Beach Club concierge were a better choice, and that is what I will keep in mind next time I take my family to WDW.

Originally posted by magyar2
Before booking the GF concierge, I did a search for other people's experiences there, and printed out a few of them that stated what was offered at each "meal". Lunch has offered peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and little meat sandwiches, also water and pop that you can take to the parks with you. The manager I spoke with said that while that was true in the past, they had changed it within the last few weeks. So, it was available, and it is what we were expecting.

I've been staying at the Grand almost since it opened, and I never remember there being water and/or sodas out for guests to take with them.... I wonder who the manager was that you spoke with?? I do know they just recently got a new GM...perhaps if it was him, he may have been unclear on what things used to be. As for lunch, we haven't been around the resort at that time of day during a stay in a while... from what I recall, they did indeed used to have little sandwiches out, also stuff like marinated chilled roasted veggies, dip, etc. But overall, I'd still say not enough for someone to make a meal of unless you're a light eater. And definitely not the type of foods that were intended to be taken into the parks for a snack.

For the amount of money that one pays to stay in GF concierge, I expect more than turn-down service and people sitting on level 3 doing the same things I can do for myself (for a lot less money). Yes, the hotel is beautiful, the decorating is lovely, but I was expecting what I had read from other people's experiences, and I did not receive that.

I am always curious when people write that they 'expected more from the Grand' ... what specifically didn't you get that you were expecting? Something tangible, or the general experience?

The manager told me that for people with families, Polynesian and Beach Club concierge were a better choice, and that is what I will keep in mind next time I take my family to WDW.

WOW! The general manager of the Grand told you to stay at another hotel????

WOW! The general manager of the Grand told you to stay at another hotel???? [/B][/QUOTE]

I was thinking the same thing! :confused:

Even with my experience this year at RPC, GF is still my favorite and I have nothing but great things to say about the resort. My only beef is that I felt shortchanged somehow that I was paying an extra $150/night to deal with CM's that were far less friendly than those working everywhere else at the resort.

:)

Sorry if you thought I misled, but I don't believe I said that I spoke with the General Manager. I did however speak with the Guest Services Manager - Concierge. I did not feel there was a need to speak to the General Manager.

As to what I had found from other sites to the offerings at lunch (copied and pasted, edited to remove names) -

"My husband and I generally found enough food for a light lunch ... Crudites with dips; fresh fruit; vegetable chips; finger sandwiches--beef, ham, corned beef, & turkey, all with cheese; cookies--chocolate chip, sugar, and oatmeal raisin; incredibly rich fudge brownies; salad with julienne cold meats; a variety of cheeses; and honeydew with prosciutto all made their appearance. We kept the poor wait staff busy clearing away our empty plates!"

Also -

"Lunch time had small sandwiches, vegetables, soda, juice, coffee, etc."

And the woman that I made the reservation with on the Travel Agent's Hotline also mentioned how much the kids would love the peanut butter and jelly sandwiches at the lunch spread, and how convenient it was to grab a water bottle and head to the parks.

So yes, I was expecting more, especially considering what I knew was available at other resorts. Yes, the manager did say that the Poly and Beach Club had more to offer for families at their concierge. I thought I was doing a service for others that had perhaps searched and found similar information as I did in regards to the offerings at Concierge, but apparently you all already were aware of what is offered at GF. I was not, I had not been there before, and was just trying to inform those that would be staying there in the future.

In Magyar's defense,I believe the GF FAQ thread on this board,or possibly the WDWIG site gives a detailed listing of concierge foods and it is quite extensive.
From that description,you could eat a meal if you were so inclined.
Although that may not be the intended use of concierge,that thread might lead you to beleve that's the case.

Quote from the GF FAQ thread: "I used to say when asked that you couldn't really make a meal of the offerings here-but now you sure can!"

Im sorry about your experiece, And I agree with you! If I was paying that much more for concierge I would expect more food then cheese and crackers!!!!
Im staying at the poly conciege next month and I do expect "extras" I do not need concierge to make ressies for me since I can call 1-407-w Disney and do it myself. Im paying for the "extras" Food,chocolate on my pillow, that special treatment.
Well maybe next time try the poly (Ill let you know what I think, although I trust tikimans advice and info so I think it will be Great!!):) :)

Food at the conceirge service is never meant to be a meal, just snacks!! End of story!!

Food at the conceirge service is never meant to be a meal, just snacks!! End of story!!

Originally posted by magyar2
Just came home from 2 days at the GF concierge and Disney cruise. We were at GF from 12/5 to 12/7, stayed in the main building, 4th floor, room 4420 (I think?), with a view of Space Mountain. We have never before been in concierge, so this is a first timer's opinion.

Upon arrival, our jaws were on the floor. It was gorgeous, and that was just the entryway! The decorations are beautiful, the carolers in the evening were a nice touch, the music, the flowers, the room, even the employees (save one) were excellent. The food, however, not what I expected.

I had read here and on other sites the food offerings at the concierge in the GF, and we had planned out our day to be there for the main meal times, since what I had read stated that there was plenty to make a meal of (we were trying to not spend money on food in the parks since we would be overeating on the cruise in just a couple days).

The first night was ok, chicken nuggets in the kids section and some stuff on crackers for the adults. The evening snacks were yummy, and breakfast had a good assortment. Lunch, however, was crackers and cheese. That's it. Not at all what I had read on other people's comments, nor what I had heard back from someone that had just returned from Beach Club concierge.

I went and spoke to concierge, and was met by a very rude man that informed me that the food was not meant to make a meal of, that there are restaurants for that. Oh, really? Then the point of spending big bucks for concierge is so that I can visit with rude people on level 3? I insisted on speaking with a manager then.

The manager came around, and said that in the last 2 weeks or so, they had changed the menus to relect more of the "Grand Floridian's ambience". I informed him that he needed to get the word out then, because the information I had was apparently very outdated. He told me that next time I should look into the Polynesian or Beach club concierge, as they offered more food choices (and the bottled drinks that you could take with you to the parks or your room, as GF does not offer that anymore, either).

So, long story short, the Grand Floridian has apparently changed its offerings in the last few weeks. We were not happy, as we had been looking forward to the different items that we had thought were there. We won't be staying there again, as it just is not worth it for us to pay that money and not get our money's worth for it.

But, I guess I have an excuse to try the Poly next time!

While I think the man may have been rude to you, he was also correct. Concierge is not there for making an entire meal out of. It is to snack on. The food is really just an aside as concierge is really for the service offered and not food. I've stayed at other hotels in concierge and there was only drinks offered. Never food. They were there only to offer their services in getting reservations, purchasing tickets, etc.

I've been reading this web site steadily for about 2 years now and I don't ever remember reading where someone said they had bottled water or drinks of any kind to take to the parks. In fact, it's often been said that the Polynesian has had these items, smaller water bottles that they let you take with you, but never the GF, and everyone has always wondered WHY their "flagship resort" wouldn't have at least what one of their other deluxe resorts has.

Don't get me wrong, I've stayed at the GF and loved it and will probably stay there again. But after reading many, many posts about GF concierge, I would never stay there in a concierge room.

On the otherhand, I would love to try the Polynesian's concierge some day. Not for the food, so much as for the friendliness and attitudes of the concierge CMs there, as opposed to the unfriendly ones I keep reading about at the GF concierge.

I also keep hearing wonderful things about the YC concierge.

Originally posted by awatt
In Magyar's defense,I believe the GF FAQ thread on this board,or possibly the WDWIG site gives a detailed listing of concierge foods and it is quite extensive.
From that description,you could eat a meal if you were so inclined.
Although that may not be the intended use of concierge,that thread might lead you to beleve that's the case.

The GF FAQ has no lunch hour foods listed. If anyone wishes, I will remove all concierge information from the FAQ to prevent 'expectations' from being too high.

Heck, if I could stay at the GF just ONCE, they could feed me ALPO and I wouldnt care! :teeth:
I WOULD BE AT THE GF! WOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOO!

:Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter