Getting Water Bottles thru Security

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have fuzzy memories of visiting Magic Kingdom as a child in the mid 70s and my parents not being impressed with having to buy water for their children. Don't know what was wrong with the water fountains, but if forced they would rather buy pop (soda) than water.
I'm also pretty sure in the mid-70's on my first trip that you couldn't bring in your own food or drink, too. That's something my parents would have done if it was allowed to control costs. Could be wrong. Could be that it just wasn't part of the culture at that time, too. Soda pop still came in heavy glass bottles (or cans) and single serve bottled water did not exist.

Ok, just a weird question since I'm a germaphobe.. does security open your bottles to make sure there's no alcohol in them? Really don't want random hands touching something I have to put my mouth on lol :scared:

We do this as well, and I’m surprised more people don’t do the same. In July we froze about a dozen bottles while home in Jersey along with a Pack it cooler. They were still mostly frozen by time we checked in to POP, and kept my DH’s beer cold as well! I just wish the refrigerators still had the freezer compartment because after a couple days the ice was gone.

Taking in a small cooler inside a drawstring bag is the main reason I can never go bagless. The freedom of not having to carry anything or wait in bag check is very enticing. I just hate the thought of paying for water, and the tap water gives us stomachaches!
We stay at The Boardwalk and the small fridges still have a freezer compartment that will freeze about three bottles overnight.

Tip: fill the bottles 1/2 to 3/4 full, lay them on their side and freeze, next morning simply fill the rest of the bottle. Cold water right away and when the ice melts you have more cold water! :)
It is important to remind everyone that it can easily become a disaster if you freeze a FULL unopened water bottle. Water expands when frozen and it can split the plastic bottle. The problem is you don't find out about it until it all starts to thaw and you have a pond instead of a bottle of water. When I was driving bus I used to fill it half full (upright) and then add cold water just before I left for work. It was easy and usually lasted for around 4 hours and that was outside of a cooler. It doesn't have to be just half full as long as you leave enough room for it to expand without forcing the bottle to alter it's shape. Doing it that way gives you instant drinks and ones that stay cold a long time. I don't recommend freezing it on it's side because that creates more exposed surface and means that the melting will happen faster and ice will disappear quicker.

No, they don't open it, but they'll certainly touch it as they comb through your bag.
We always take in our stainless steel klean kanteens in our stroller cup holders. I’ve never even been asked what’s in them. For all they know it could be 32oz of straight vodka, wine, beer... I guess they don’t care as long as it’s not glass. I’d be the one opening them if they asked. I wouldn’t want someone else’s hands on my water bottle spout.

Ok, just a weird question since I'm a germaphobe.. does security open your bottles to make sure there's no alcohol in them? Really don't want random hands touching something I have to put my mouth on lol :scared:
I normally bring in a bunch of water bottles, anywhere from just cold, to frozen solid bricks that could easily kill someone. Never had anyone touch, open, or even ask....

To be clear - I normally have them just thrown in the bottom of a stroller.

Question: do the frigs in standard rooms have a freezer? I was under the impression that they did not... but if they do, I'd use that trick to freezing water bottles.

I use this water bottle when I go to Disney ( in fact I use it all the time ) the mouthpiece is covered when not in use so germs do not get on it and the water stays cold for a very long time and Disney security never opens it at all

Attachments

• Hx2fl+VKTouMVSgbCqhgcg.jpg
    Hx2fl+VKTouMVSgbCqhgcg.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 29
I have been going since the 80s and have brought food and drinks in with me. Wondering if you are think of something else

When we went in the 50's, 60's, and 70's the only food we were allowed to bring into the parks was baby food. Then again DL wasn't open on Mondays either. I go back a long time.
Need to add that they also had picnic table outside the park with lockers so that you could bring food and have a place to eat.

Last edited:
When we went in the 50's, 60's, and 70's the only food we were allowed to bring into the parks was baby food. Then again DL wasn't open on Mondays either. I go back a long time.
Need to add that they also had picnic table outside the park with lockers so that you could bring food and have a place to eat.
I am talking about Disney world I know my mom went a few weeks after opening and brought some food with her and no one said anything to her about having food.

Good luck... I’m not sure Disney is the best place for germaphobes.
gotta challenge those disorders somehow, right? :) I also have an eating disorder but last time I went to Disney, I didn't think about it once! (Well, maybe a little but that voice will always be in my head.) If I can conquer the buffets, that's challenging both my issues at once!! Disney = therapy
Sorry for derailing the thread:offtopic:

I remember going as a kid to Disneyland in the 80s and 90s. I can't remember when it changed, but I certainly remember the lockers and picnic table set up outside the park. Felt like eating in a prison yard. I wish I had a picture. It was not magical.

We stay at The Boardwalk and the small fridges still have a freezer compartment that will freeze about three bottles overnight.

We are at BWV in September. I was going thru pictures of the villas and thought I saw the freezer compartment in the studio fridges, so I’m happy to have that confirmed. Thanks! I know they didn’t have them at POP which kind of surprised me, renovated rooms and all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter