• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

getting new car. what do you have?

If I were to buy an AWD suv I would get the Mazda cx5. I test drove all rhe small SUV's and it was the only one that drives like a car. Real world mpg averaged 28+ mpg. Now, if awd is not important to me, I will get the VW Golf TDI. This one can get up to 60mpg. Better than any hybrid and drives like a car and not like a golf cart (imo).
In the end, all it matters is what you really want.

I have a 2012 Nissan with cvt. no problems. I had a Mazda tribute. Nothing but troube

I bought a 2014 Ford Escape Titanium this summer and couldn't be happier. I get 25mpg driving through the mountains which is amazing! The cargo area is really spacious and its a comfortable ride. Very happy with my purchase.

Jill in CO

If I were to buy an AWD suv I would get the Mazda cx5. I test drove all rhe small SUV's and it was the only one that drives like a car. Real world mpg averaged 28+ mpg. Now, if awd is not important to me, I will get the VW Golf TDI. This one can get up to 60mpg. Better than any hybrid and drives like a car and not like a golf cart (imo).
In the end, all it matters is what you really want.

You've received great advice so far and I think there will always be the "lemons" in the bunch and YMMV.

To echo above, if I was looking today, I'd likely do the Mazda CX5. It has 5 star crash test results and gets great reviews. I own a 2001 Mazda Tribute and it has has 97,000 miles on it and not a lick of trouble. I'll be selling it to a family member soon and I truly will have a hard time letting "him" go.

My DH has a Ford Escape Titanium model that he LOVES and it's an awesome SUV and we're very pleased with it.

Heather

We have a Hyundai Tuscon we bought last year after trading in our Santa Fe. We really liked both. The Tuscon is smaller, but still plenty of room for camping. It gets good gas mileage and still has power to go up hills with the air conditioning on. I really love the visibility I have in it.

We bought a 2014 Kia Soul manual transmission for $16,700. Great gas mileage - 35 MPG. Absolutely love it. :cool1:

We bought the Subaru Crosstrack love it! Definately test drive one. 34 MPG.

The only bad thing going into it is that I have read about the crosstrek is that the road noise is kinda loud inside. My sister in law has a Toyota highlander and got it new, It was in 07 but we barrowed it to go to seattle about 7 hour drive and I thought it was noisy inside not like my van. maybe dodge decided that if you have a van full of kids you would need the extra quiet and no road noise.

DH asked why are you stuck on a Subaru, (I like different and its orange, my dad said you will always be able to find it when you come out of the store. lol) He got a new job (with a good raise and we don't pay much for health ins now either) this spring and I also got a nice raise this year. He has been bugging me to get a new car and get rid of our mini van. I wouldn't even think of it until we came back from Seattle in sept and saw a family get out of an orange crosstrek next to us when we were getting back into our avalanche. I had to get out and go see what brand it was. lol It wasn't hard to figure out what it was once we got home and looked online at Subaru as it was the only orange model with different looking tires they have. Needless to say I started thinking about it and know that we could afford it. I checked into our ins rate and it would go down $16 a year for the same coverage as we have on my 9 year old van. That was crazy to me. My 15 year (who is over 6ft already and my almost 17yo also is 6ft) old wants orange hubby says no but he doesn't care as he'll never drive it. I like the green but that only comes in Hybrid models. I really like the new sight vision of the foresters, why cant they put that in the crosstrek? what ever I get will have to fit the boys in the back seat and be good on long drives. Our Avalanch has all the bells and whistles and I do not like the leather seats at all. It is not comfy to ride 10 hours to the ocean in. So now I have to find time to stop and test drive a Honda also. Thanks guys.

I have a Ford FLex. I love it. It doesn't get great gas mileage in city. But I get about 28 highway. ( My husband works for Ford). My son just got his license. He likes driving it.

My husband had a Subaru Forrester. It was a great car.

DH got a 2014 Ford Escape for his new job as he drives 250-300 miles a day and at first that's what got him wanting to get rid of my van as its so much nicer. But after driving it for awhile he says its not that comfortable to **** in all day. It to has leather seats I thinks. Ive never ridden in it let aloan sat in it. I looked in it and he says its nice, has blue tooth ect. But hes decided he doesn't want another one. I think he said it get about 20-25mpg.

Get the Forester! Their all wheel drive works better than Rav 4, CRV, and Escape/Edge. I watched a video of it somewhere (not sponsored by Subaru) and the Subaru blew the others out of the water...it was because of something like the Subaru is always engaged but the others don't fully engage until they get squirrely. I used to want a Rav 4 until I did more research. Subaru are more reliable (Toyotas are great but they've had so many recalls over the last few years and I think Subaru is a step above them in terms of quality...they don't always go for frills but they do what they do extremely well such as a reliable sturdy vehicle that can handle anything).

Outbacks are great if you like station wagons but I can't stand them. Lol

We have a 2005 Legacy which we love and I will be getting a Forester in 2-4 years once my Nissan Sentra dies. My in-laws just bought a 2015 Forester and boy is it nice. Great comfort, easy to see out of, huge moonroof.

Just got a brand new 2015 Kia Sorrento in June, got a great deal, it has a huge trunk and lots of little extras that we love!!!!

We're looking at trading in our 2005 Toyota Sienna soon. I've been researching and I think have it down to two choices: Toyota Highlander or Lexus RX. I'm also considering a hybrid. I'm so tired of the frequent stops at the gas pump and I put a lot of miles on a car. Would not get the Highlander unless it was a hybrid because otherwise it's gas mileage is close to my minivan.

I just purchased a 2014 Jeep Cherokee this past week and so far I love it. Great gas mileage (which is a plus for me since I drive a ton and travel). The space in it is amazing. It has all the bells and whistles (sirius xm, navigation, handsfree phone via bluetooth, ports for usb, etc etc). I was looking at the BMW X1 and the Subaru outback and chose this because I have had such great luck with Jeep in the past (Traded in my Toyota Highlander which I HATED), not because of cost because they were all about the same price. So far I love driving it.

I have a 2014 Jeep Cherokee also - have had it 10 months, have put 17,000 miles on it and love it. I average 28 mpg but on long trips have had it at 31/32 mpg. Mine is a Limited with all the bells and whistles and we went with the 4 cyl to get the better mileage.
Oh, and my DH works on the line doing inspections on them in Toledo so I'm a little partial to that too ;) In all seriousness though, they are great to have and are selling like crazy. They are working the plant 7 days a week to keep up with the demand.

Another vote for the Honda CR-V here. I admit, my first winter I was ready to drive it off a cliff.... we made the mistake of getting FWD instead of AWD and we live in a rural area of NH. BIG MISTAKE! But with really good winter tires and careful driving, it works.

We currently have a 2006 CR-V with 225,600 miles on it. It has NEVER needed more than the basics... no big issues with anything in particular (transmission, compressors, etc). While I would like to have something a bit bigger (Honda Pilot maybe), I could be content with another CR-V (AWD this time!).... and definitely content with the lack of problems!! This is our first Honda and probably will NOT be our last!.....................P

Not an SUV but budget related.
I drive a Nissan Leaf and LOVE it. It's not for everyone...but is perfect for me as a commuter car in the city. I've saved serious $$ as I haven't had to pay for gas in 3 months and there's no noticeable change in my electric bill. I plug it into a 240 outlet I had installed in my garage to charge it overnight.

I think almost every car mention in this thread will serve you well. I might hesitate at getting a Subaru just because of the head gasket issue they seem to be having. A Google search can give you more information on that.
Although I do have to wonder if some of those failures are due to how some Subaru drivers keep their cars up. Nothing scientific, but it sure seems that a lot of the folks I know that buy Subarus don't do oil changes very often and tend to overload them.

I test drove the a Subaru and the Mazda CX5 and liked the feel of the Mazda better. I'm getting about 30 mpg, which is important to me as my commute is about 80 miles round trip. BUT I also have a DS15 that is 6' and the back seat is a little small for him. It's ok just around town and short trips but I don't think it would work for any real long road trip. Hope that helps.

I have the 2015 Mazda CX5. My milage is around 29. My teenager loves it. We also have an older Ford Escape and I can't complain about that either.

I think almost every car mention in this thread will serve you well. I might hesitate at getting a Subaru just because of the head gasket issue they seem to be having. A Google search can give you more information on that.
Although I do have to wonder if some of those failures are due to how some Subaru drivers keep their cars up. Nothing scientific, but it sure seems that a lot of the folks I know that buy Subarus don't do oil changes very often and tend to overload them.

Are they still having head gasket issues? My 2001 Outback had a problem and they fixed it for free (warranty was long expired). Then our 2004 Impreza had the same problem and while Subaru had not extended the warranties on that model my dealer fixed it for $100. I was going to add that Subarus are not the best on gas mileage around town; in my experience about 24 MPG. I don't do a lot of highway driving.

Just purchased a mazda5. Perfect for our family of four and great for our budget. Win/win!!

Karenos;)

I bought a new Subaru Forester back in 2002 and loved it.

Last month I bought a 2015 Forester. The old one still runs at 285k miles but it was finally going to need some repair work that would cost me more than the car was worth.

I put a lot of highway commuter miles on my car and the gas mileage is great. Also the car goes great in bad weather and the safety rating is great too.

Can you tell I'm a Subaru fan? Lol

I am getting similar gas mileage as well. I am partial to the Jeep as well since my dad worked for Jeep for 30 yrs. I totally understand the demand part of car, I had been waiting for one to come in in my area because they were in such demand. I finally was able to when I bought mine. I LOVE it so far!!

I have a 2014 Jeep Cherokee also - have had it 10 months, have put 17,000 miles on it and love it. I average 28 mpg but on long trips have had it at 31/32 mpg. Mine is a Limited with all the bells and whistles and we went with the 4 cyl to get the better mileage.
Oh, and my DH works on the line doing inspections on them in Toledo so I'm a little partial to that too ;) In all seriousness though, they are great to have and are selling like crazy. They are working the plant 7 days a week to keep up with the demand.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter