• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Getting deposit back from cancelled reservation

Bchamp

Mouseketeer
Hi all,
I originally made reservations for the first wkend of June last month. Last week, I called to cancel them and make reservations for mothers day weekend instead. Well, I called back yesterday to add on a cabana, (which btw, I was told I had to wait till I get there to reserve one), and I was told that my first reservation was never cancelled. To make a long story short, she cancelled it and this time gave me a cancellation number.
However, my credit card statement just came showing 173.00 charge for the first reservation. does anyone know how long HRH usually takes to refund your deposit?
I know they told me they would be charging me 2 nights deposit on this reservation, so would they just keep the first deposit and transfer it over to the other dates?
Another thing, I just assumed, that when I called the number for HRH, I was calling orlando! When I called yesterday, I detected a canadian accent, ( my hubby is from ottawa) and she told me her office was in New Brunswick. Seems strange to be booking florida vacations way up there in the cold!! She gave me a number for the conciere (sp) to ask about the cabana. Wonder where that office is LOL !

Barb,

If after one phone call with the hotel you cannot resolve the issue, just file a dispute with your credit card company.

It will be taken off your bill and then Hard Rock must justify the charge to the credit card company.

-Jon

Thanks Jon,
for that info, I wasn't quite sure how it worked.
We have never had a problem with HRH before, but then again, I never cancelled a ressie before either.

Bchamp,

I recently did the same thing and it took about 3 weeks for the refund to show up on my credit card, which really seems quite slow.

Most cc will let you go online and check transactions. I wouldn't dispute the charge for the cancelled reservation until I was sure I was charged for the good reservation.

Well, I called HRH this morning to inquire about giving me back my deposit after checking my credit card statement this morn and finding out that they already charged for another night.
The girl said she could only handle reservations and gave me a number for their accounting office.
Well, I never got a voice, only an answering machine saying to leave my concerns and they would call me back. I hate to talk to machines especially about my money.
They seem to be getting faster at charging our cards than they were last year. I hope they are just as fast at returning our money.
If they can bill my account for the new reservation , why can't they do a credit for the cancelled one at the same time?

if you need help, I can provide a direct name and telephone number of the accounting manager who eventually cleared up all my troubles, but it takes time. It's very easy to take the money, but difficult to give it back. You can Private Message me if you want. I don't want to advertise her name, that would not be the right thing to do.

BChamp,

Stop wasting your time. Just dispute the charge with your credit card company.

-Jon

Bchamp, yourre not wasting your time, and I'll tell you why. The woman who eventually helped me at Universal told me that they as the vendor who put the charge on the account in the first place only have to fax over a vendor form authorizing the immediate release of the hold. In my case although, the charges and authorizations happened after I checked out and there were some charges she was able to clear up immediately and others such as Debit card charges that were much more complicated. Anyway way when you dispute a charge the credit taken off your card is still held against your account until the investigation proves otherwise, making the disputing of a charge the wise thing to do, when you don't know a vendor that appears on your bill. so you can move the processes along by going straight to the vendor, since in this case you know the vendor and they can clear it up with one letter faxed over to your credit card compnay and your money is released immediately, you'll have access to that credit line with in hours, not weeks.

Thank you all for your help, as I wrote in my next post how it was all straightened out.
I usually try to take these things in stride, only because I have always had a kind of "murphy's law life", so I guess at age 44, I look too stupid to cry, makes my wrinkles stand out, so I just laugh and pray and pray, and sometimes pray some more. LOL
I hope that anybody else out who runs into problems gets theirs taken care of as quick as I did.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter