Get yer lugs on we're going to Disney - July 16 TR (update 8/11) Football and Chili's

Ok, so I had some problems with the multi quote feature. Anyway, I'm enjoying the TR. Not just for the Disney aspect, but also learning some about Scotland and your language and traditions there.

Your first night at EPCOT was, I'm sure, very tiring after all that travel. But probably best for getting yourselves adjusted to the time. I've actually been at EPCOT on July 4th myself, but that was back in 1994. A bit different experience, but the crowd leaving was probably equally as crazy.

I wanted to comment on your daughter's post regarding her grandparents' anniversary. It was very well written. She clearly has her priorities straight and is a bright young lady. You're doing something right.

What a way to see a parade! Such a lucky opportunity for you! It is probably worth a little bit of melted breakfast ice cream to get to do that!

See? Just some idiot.
Or someone with a sense of occasion.

Can't believe you dug that up!
Really? It just seemed to perfectly capture what they were talking about. :D

::yes:: The Killers are good!

I have tried so many times to see them in concert but the tickets sell out straight away only to appear immediately on ebay and ticket websites at hugely inflated prices. It drives me crazy!

Nice! Been doing that for a while?

No, only for the last 5 years. I was at a stage after having had the children that I had stopped doing hobbies such as sport. The children had so many activities and I decided that I wanted to do something myself. I've always enjoyed singing but decided to do something new.

Anyway, I'm enjoying the TR
Thank you, Andy! :welcome: I've enjoyed your trip reports including your current one.

Not just for the Disney aspect, but also learning some about Scotland and your language and traditions there.

I love that about the Dis. Don't worry I've found out a bit about farming from you.

Your first night at EPCOT was, I'm sure, very tiring after all that travel. But probably best for getting yourselves adjusted to the time. I've actually been at EPCOT on July 4th myself, but that was back in 1994. A bit different experience, but the crowd leaving was probably equally as crazy.

That first day tends to be a very long day but does help us to adjust. It definitely was easier exiting the park the time we were staying in the Epcot area.

I wanted to comment on your daughter's post regarding her grandparents' anniversary. It was very well written. She clearly has her priorities straight and is a bright young lady. You're doing something right.

Thank you. She really is able to express herself. Recently she spoke at her baptism and she was so honest that it touched a lot of people. As parents you try your best to get it right and for your children to realise what is important in life.

What a way to see a parade! Such a lucky opportunity for you! It is probably worth a little bit of melted breakfast ice cream to get to do that!

It was really special. It was definitely worth melting for!

Or someone with a sense of occasion.

Nah.

Really? It just seemed to perfectly capture what they were talking about. :D

:laughing: I suppose!

I have tried so many times to see them in concert but the tickets sell out straight away only to appear immediately on ebay and ticket websites at hugely inflated prices. It drives me crazy!

I don't understand how that can't be illegal. I really don't.

No, only for the last 5 years. I was at a stage after having had the children that I had stopped doing hobbies such as sport. The children had so many activities and I decided that I wanted to do something myself. I've always enjoyed singing but decided to do something new.

Excellent! Good for you!
Now.... post a video!

Hi Fiona, I thought I'd commented on your last update but I guess I didn't! I'm really enjoying seeing you guys start your Grand Marshall adventure and Hanna certainly does look right at home-I guess she's planning on a future with a Title lol? Of all the memories you guys have made and will make at Disney, that will most likely be the most precious.
I also love the Mickey heads on the tires, something I probably never would have noticed were it not for your picture! Now I have to look for that next time we watch the parade :goodvibes
Did tons of spectators wave to you? They were probably like, "OMG look at that lucky family! Hi! Hi! I don't like you for getting picked!" :P

I don't understand how that can't be illegal. I really don't.

I know it's so wrong and I refuse to reinforce the practice by purchasing tickets from them. As a result I've never managed to see my favourite band. I also hate that tickets tend to go on sale at 9:00am on a weekday when I'm at work.

Excellent! Good for you!
Now.... post a video!

I don't have any videos due to licensing restrictions - I will need to see if I have any on stage photos. I will definitely have some backstage ones.

I thought I'd commented on your last update but I guess I didn't!

Don't worry - I have so many reports I need to comment on. I am keeping up-to-date reading them but don't seem to manage to comment often enough.

Hanna certainly does look right at home-I guess she's planning on a future with a Title lol?

:laughing: She certainly does look right at home.

Of all the memories you guys have made and will make at Disney, that will most likely be the most precious.

It is certainly up there with our most precious. I also enjoyed being the Flag Family at Wilderness Lodge although we didn't have an audience there.

I also love the Mickey heads on the tires, something I probably never would have noticed were it not for your picture! Now I have to look for that next time we watch the parade :goodvibes

Yes, you can be the person who points it out to the people about you. People do expect us to be Disney nerds after all! Saying that maybe you'll get to be in the car.

Did tons of spectators wave to you?

They did and took photos!

They were probably like, "OMG look at that lucky family! Hi! Hi! I don't like you for getting picked!" :P

Totally! The worst we had for that was when Hannah was little she got picked at Ollivander's and this teenage girl loudly said "That's not fair she only got picked because she was dressed up!

I know it's so wrong and I refuse to reinforce the practice by purchasing tickets from them. As a result I've never managed to see my favourite band. I also hate that tickets tend to go on sale at 9:00am on a weekday when I'm at work.

I know scalping is illegal here... and yet somehow this isn't.....

I don't have any videos due to licensing restrictions - I will need to see if I have any on stage photos. I will definitely have some backstage ones.

That'd be great!

I know scalping is illegal here... and yet somehow this isn't....

As it should be. Some articles I have read suggest that tens of thousands of tickets are handed to secondary ticketing websites by promoters. This means that the 'sold out' concert may in fact have empty seats if no-one purchases the tickets on the secondary ticketing website. A lot of artists have spoken out but it will take legislation to sort it out. I think the only real change that was made was they now need to list the face value price of the ticket. While there's a market it will be profitable for the ticket sites.

That'd be great!
I'll try my best!

As it should be. Some articles I have read suggest that tens of thousands of tickets are handed to secondary ticketing websites by promoters. This means that the 'sold out' concert may in fact have empty seats if no-one purchases the tickets on the secondary ticketing website. A lot of artists have spoken out but it will take legislation to sort it out. I think the only real change that was made was they now need to list the face value price of the ticket. While there's a market it will be profitable for the ticket sites.

I really think this needs looking into. But... I don't know how much incentive there is.

I promised pkondz some onstage photos (with credit to Bob McDevitt Photography). Here is a couple from 2 years ago. Now can you guess the show?

Nice pictures. It's great to have a hobby to keep life interesting! My oldest DD has tried to get into a few musicals here but has never been successful. She has the voice for it and passes that part of the audition, but can never get past the dance audition. She is involved in dance but it's always been the modern stuff like hip hop, not the more tradition ballet or theatrical dance. It does seem like fun to get involved in a production.

Now, to guess the musical, at first glance I don't recognize it so maybe one I have not seen, but I will guess something anyway, and hide my guess with a spoiler so as not to ruin the fun for @pkondz in case I am right :)

My guess is
Guys and Dolls

Hey!!! You did it! Thanks so much for posting those! You look great by the way. :)

I'm probably wrong, but my first thought was Guys and Dolls.

Finally all caught up. Your family is precious. :) And Grand Marshalls? How cool is that?!!

Congrats to your mum and dad too! 50 years is certainly very admirable. WOW!

I'll be following along and hope to be able to keep up. Enjoying it all so far. :thumbsup2

I really think this needs looking into. But... I don't know how much incentive there is.

Not a lot I suspect. I know some artists including Sir Elton John and Cold Play have spoken out against the practice. At Sir Elton's 2016 tour tickets were being sold at up to 5 times face value and he urged fans no to buy them.

Nice pictures.

Hey!!! You did it! Thanks so much for posting those! You look great by the way. :)

:thanks:

It's great to have a hobby to keep life interesting!

It certainly keeps life interesting. I don't really have time for a hobby but I make sure I am at all rehearsals. A non-scheduled hobby wouldn't work. Alan has a golf membership and doesn't use it as he's too busy. Show week is a nightmare as I have to go straight from work to the theatre and then home to sleep, get up for work etc. Some people take annual leave but working in a school that's not an option.

My oldest DD has tried to get into a few musicals here but has never been successful. She has the voice for it and passes that part of the audition, but can never get past the dance audition. She is involved in dance but it's always been the modern stuff like hip hop, not the more tradition ballet or theatrical dance. It does seem like fun to get involved in a production.

Is she old enough to join an adult club? The clubs here allow young people to join at 16. She should definitely keep trying. I have to really work hard with the dance as my natural ability is for singing rather than dance. I do get there! I am sure she'd be great!

Now, to guess the musical, at first glance I don't recognize it so maybe one I have not seen, but I will guess something anyway, and hide my guess with a spoiler so as not to ruin the fun for @pkondz in case I am right :)

I'm probably wrong, but my first thought was Guys and Dolls.

Let's see on the musical. Guys and Dolls is not a bad guess. This musical was set in America but is not as well known as Guys and Dolls.

Finally all caught up.
Yay and :welcome:

Your family is precious. :)
Yes, precious in that they cost a fortune!

And Grand Marshalls? How cool is that?!!

It was so unexpected but very special.

Congrats to your mum and dad too! 50 years is certainly very admirable. WOW!

Thanks! 50 years - no wonder my Mum doesn't find my Dad's jokes funny anymore. To be fair she claims she never did. Poor Dad - although everyone else still enjoys his humour.

I'll be following along and hope to be able to keep up. Enjoying it all so far. :thumbsup2

Great to have you following along - don't worry this is an easy one to keep up with. Although it will be a marathon so I hope you've got stamina.

Just joining in. I am enjoying your tr. I would love to go to Scotland. I too am a big fan of Outlander. I have read all the books and watch the tv show. I really liked the words Hannah wrote about your parents so sweet. Being Grand Marshals looks like so much fun.

Is she old enough to join an adult club? The clubs here allow young people to join at 16. She should definitely keep trying.
I don't think she's ever considered an adult club. I'm not sure the age, but she will be 17 in a couple months, so she's getting close if not already allowed. For the bigger all-age productions here the competition is usually fierce for teenage girls, since there are so many who try out. Teenage boys have an easier time getting cast since there are fewer auditioning. Somewhat true for adults as well.

You've got be scratching my head on the musical. Cabaret? Just trying to think of something set in that time period. I was also thinking Chicago but that would be better known than Guys and Dolls, I suppose.

Why thanks!

Yes, precious in that they cost a fortune!

Yeah, understand this!

It was so unexpected but very special.

Indeed! Very rare gift!

Thanks! 50 years - no wonder my Mum doesn't find my Dad's jokes funny anymore. To be fair she claims she never did. Poor Dad - although everyone else still enjoys his humour.

LOL! That's a lot of years to put up with Dad Jokes.

Great to have you following along - don't worry this is an easy one to keep up with. Although it will be a marathon so I hope you've got stamina.

I need easy! But I can stick it out. :)

Well that was a busy week! Hannah has just finished 2 weeks of exams. These things are stressful as a parent. I thought of all my American friends today - I won't get political but I was thinking of you!

Anyway it's high time I replied to all those people who have posted.

Just joining in.
:welcome: It's great to have you here.

I am enjoying your tr.
Thank you!

I would love to go to Scotland.
Please do come some time.

I too am a big fan of Outlander. I have read all the books and watch the tv show.

Well that's more than I've done - it seems to get a lot of love!

I really liked the words Hannah wrote about your parents so sweet.

It is lovely to tell people how much they mean to you. She is very close to them.

Being Grand Marshals looks like so much fun.

It was a lot of fun! I'm hoping to get the second part of the parade route up this weekend.

I don't think she's ever considered an adult club. I'm not sure the age, but she will be 17 in a couple months, so she's getting close if not already allowed. For the bigger all-age productions here the competition is usually fierce for teenage girls, since there are so many who try out. Teenage boys have an easier time getting cast since there are fewer auditioning. Somewhat true for adults as well.

Hannah is currently in a Youth theatre but it is very competitive for principal roles. Boys will always get Principal roles whereas there re so many talented girls who will never get a Principal role despite their talent. Ensemble is fun though.

You've got be scratching my head on the musical. Cabaret? Just trying to think of something set in that time period. I was also thinking Chicago but that would be better known than Guys and Dolls, I suppose.

Yes this one is definitely less well known although some of the music is better known. Although it is set in the 1930s it is a relatively recent musical that only opened on Broadway in 1992.

LOL! That's a lot of years to put up with Dad Jokes.

It certainly is and now he has a new generation to share his jokes with. My Mum loves to tell him off which is funny!

I need easy! But I can stick it out. :)

That's good hopefully I can too!

1. I would kill to see Elton John.

Well he has a tour in Britain in June. Now that could end up an expensive concert for you! Although seriously I have considered travelling to see the Killers. I almost went to Aberdeen!

2. Hmmm.... Does it matter to him? The tickets were already sold.

Well if the media is to be believed he seems to care deeply about the issue. Do you want me to ask him next time I see him?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter