Get yer lugs on we're going to Disney - July 16 TR (update 8/11) Football and Chili's

Just got the laptop from Hannah - she was using her laptop to do school work. I mean, really? Peter is just back from a really chilly rugby training - he had to go in a warm shower to thaw out.

Feet up, complete with my new slippers I just had to buy yesterday, working on an update. I won't promise I will post tonight as I've got school in the morning. Renee how was your first day back at school? I was thinking of you!

Day Two Part Seven: Being the Grand Marshal

Are we all ready for the occasion of being the Grand Marshal in the Festival of Fantasy Parade? Yes... just keep smiling and waving!

They had of course checked with us beforehand our surname and where we were from. We opted to go with the town we are from in Scotland as it is pronounced just as it is written. It was really strange to repeatedly hear our family announced as the Grand Marshall although they didn't manage to pronounce our town right which made us smile. Given we were smiling constantly no-one was any the wiser. We did get lots of cheers for Scotland for some reason. Are you ready for lots of photos? You will need to add in the crowd noise.

Hannah was born to be royalty!

She was loving every minute!

You can actually feel the heat in this photo when you look at the people trying to shade themselves from the sun!

Peter seemed comfortable with the whole experience!

I loved the Disney detail with Mickey heads on the tyres!

Hannah definitely looks like she is waving to her loyal subjects in the photo above!

Then heading into Liberty Square.

It was great seeing the parade from a different perspective. What struck me was how clearly you could see individual reactions from people.

I am going to stop there. My arm is getting sore from waving. You know where we're heading next on the parade route!

Have you spotted your favourite place to watch the parade yet or is that still to come?

Just got the laptop from Hannah - she was using her laptop to do school work. I mean, really? Peter is just back from a really chilly rugby training - he had to go in a warm shower to thaw out.

Feet up, complete with my new slippers I just had to buy yesterday, working on an update. I won't promise I will post tonight as I've got school in the morning. Renee how was your first day back at school? I was thinking of you!
It was a few meetings and entering grades and catching up....so not bad. Lots of interruptions to my work though! We went over some testing data and our grade level did the best as far as improving test scores plus we never really cause any problems, we plan well together, get our work, etc, so we were recognized oday. Which is nice! Students back tomorrow!

Here's hoping for a smooth transition back for you, as well!

So fun! I know there is a chance anyone can get picked, well anyone enthusiastic, but I doubt we ever get picked. So I am long vicariously through you!

I have never noticed Mickey on those tires... gonna have to finish off the pre-parade ice cream and pay better attention next time! Thanks so much for the pics.

It was a few meetings and entering grades and catching up....so not bad. Lots of interruptions to my work though! We went over some testing data and our grade level did the best as far as improving test scores plus we never really cause any problems, we plan well together, get our work, etc, so we were recognized oday. Which is nice! Students back tomorrow!

It sounds like you have a good team! How many teacher only days do you have a year? We have 5 days each school session but that also covers a lot of training and annual updates.

Here's hoping for a smooth transition back for you, as well!

Thanks - first day back went well. Although it felt wrong to be going out in the dark and cold this morning.

So fun! I know there is a chance anyone can get picked, well anyone enthusiastic, but I doubt we ever get picked.

Never say never! I didn't think our family fitted the profile and after all what are your chances of being picked? People seem to like the fact that the children chat away to them in when waiting in queues. A few years ago we were in a character line and they got chatting to two girls. Just before they left to meet the characters they asked if they had ever done Pirate's League which they hadn't. It turned out they were off duty cast members and they invited Hannah and Peter to come the next day to get a free pirate makeover. Pixie dust does happen when you are least expecting it!

So I am long vicariously through you!

We all live vicariously on the DIS. Every trip you have will be different with its own special moments. Its the unplanned for things that are often the most special.

I have never noticed Mickey on those tires... gonna have to finish off the pre-parade ice cream and pay better attention next time!

That's the Disney detail - you can also look out for the Mickey ear bonnet ornament. You have to eat that ice-cream quickly in that July heat. Just think I had to neglect my icecream cookie sandwich and by doing that we got picked for the parade.
:mickeyjum

Thanks so much for the pics.

Thanks to Chelsea - she took them. She must have run so much to get all those photos from in front of the car, behind the car, side of the car. She must be so fit!

It sounds like you have a good team! How many teacher only days do you have a year? We have 5 days each school session but that also covers a lot of training and annual updates.

We have 5 just at the beginning of the year! 2 at the end then 1 at the end of each quarter. So 10 total. Kids do 180 days, we do 190.

Thanks - first day back went well. Although it felt wrong to be going out in the dark and cold this morning.
Glad to hear it. Yes, some days I don't have to leave til 7:30am and it isn't usually dark. But the last two days it was 7am and it was very dark!

Never say never! I didn't think our family fitted the profile and after all what are your chances of being picked? People seem to like the fact that the children chat away to them in when waiting in queues. A few years ago we were in a character line and they got chatting to two girls. Just before they left to meet the characters they asked if they had ever done Pirate's League which they hadn't. It turned out they were off duty cast members and they invited Hannah and Peter to come the next day to get a free pirate makeover. Pixie dust does happen when you are least expecting it!
So nice! My boys are still kind of shy, so maybe in a few years!

We all live vicariously on the DIS. Every trip you have will be different with its own special moments. Its the unplanned for things that are often the most special
''Tis true!

We have 5 just at the beginning of the year! 2 at the end then 1 at the end of each quarter. So 10 total. Kids do 180 days, we do 190.

5 at the start of the school session sounds good. We only get 2 days in August and some local authorities only get 1 then. Most teachers come in at some stage over the summer to get their classrooms set up.

Glad to hear it. Yes, some days I don't have to leave til 7:30am and it isn't usually dark. But the last two days it was 7am and it was very dark!

We leave the house at 7:30 and it is so dark at the moment. It isn't getting light until about 8:45 and then it's dark again about 4pm. To make matters worse it was also tipping it down this morning. I hate that about winter that you go to work in the dark and come home in the dark. Then there's those people who decide to stand in the middle of the road in the dark or people riding bikes with no lights!

So nice! My boys are still kind of shy, so maybe in a few years!

I'm sure there are people who they will interact with as long as they are not too scary. In the meantime let them be themselves and keep dancing!

''Tis true!
:wizard:

Drooling again?

It's your fault!

I cannot teach him. The boy has no patience.

<throws larger hissy fit... really... this is starting to get ugly.>

Very true. Where does the custom of the beer dash on Christmas Eve come from?

Pub owners.

Feet up, complete with my new slippers I just had to buy yesterday,

Of course you had to buy them. This is a no-brainer.

Going back to read the update now.

Are we all ready for the occasion of being the Grand Marshal in the Festival of Fantasy Parade?

::yes:: Woot!!

Yes... just keep smiling and waving!

Now... I'm curious. Did you get any instructions? I guess for myself, it would be an automatic. I'd be thrilled, so I'd be smiling... and I'd wave because people a. expect it and b. would be waving to me.

But did they remind you to do it anyway?

We opted to go with the town we are from in Scotland as it is pronounced just as it is written. It was really strange to repeatedly hear our family announced as the Grand Marshall although they didn't manage to pronounce our town right which made us smile.

You should've told them you were from Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch.

We did get lots of cheers for Scotland for some reason.

Sure! Why not?

Are you ready for lots of photos? You will need to add in the crowd noise.

Done! (the crowd noises I mean.)

Hannah was born to be royalty!

::yes:: Very regal. Has it down pat.

She was loving every minute!

Why wouldn't you?!?!?

You can actually feel the heat in this photo when you look at the people trying to shade themselves from the sun!

Hadn't noticed until you pointed it out.

I loved the Disney detail with Mickey heads on the tyres!

Cool! Never knew that.

Hannah definitely looks like she is waving to her loyal subjects in the photo above!

Has that head tilt down pat!

It was great seeing the parade from a different perspective.

But did you see it? Everything was behind you.

What struck me was how clearly you could see individual reactions from people.

Now that's fun! When I dive in Epcot, the guests' reactions are the best part.

5 at the start of the school session sounds good. We only get 2 days in August and some local authorities only get 1 then. Most teachers come in at some stage over the summer to get their classrooms set up.
It's nice to have that time to get organized but then you get overzealous principals that schedule way too many meetings so you don't have any time in your classroom. :(

We leave the house at 7:30 and it is so dark at the moment. It isn't getting light until about 8:45 and then it's dark again about 4pm. To make matters worse it was also tipping it down this morning. I hate that about winter that you go to work in the dark and come home in the dark. Then there's those people who decide to stand in the middle of the road in the dark or people riding bikes with no lights!
That would stink. I hate it how it is now during standard time. We get about 7:45-5:45ish daylight right now. Fortunately I don't stay late at school bc I have to get my boys (DH woks til 7 or later) and Daylight savings starts in March so we will get more daylight in the evening then.

I'm sure there are people who they will interact with as long as they are not too scary. In the meantime let them be themselves and keep dancing!
Oh yeh, I'm not even worried about it. I mean if we were offered something I wouldn't say no, but I'm such an uberplanner, it would probably take me a bit to feel okay with the deviation of my plan! So, I'm ok if we are overlooked!

It's your fault!

I'm sorry I have that effect on people!

<throws larger hissy fit... really... this is starting to get ugly.>
Get ugly? I didn't have you down as a Jason Derulo fan!

Pub owners.
:thumbsup2

Of course you had to buy them. This is a no-brainer.

I mean they were the last pair in the shop but then they are not a pair. Hannah asked if they were meant to be like that. I said yes and was able to confirm online.

Going back to read the update now.
Excellent - will be back to comment soon!

Now... I'm curious. Did you get any instructions? I guess for myself, it would be an automatic. I'd be thrilled, so I'd be smiling... and I'd wave because people a. expect it and b. would be waving to me.

But did they remind you to do it anyway?

Yes I think that really was the only instructions was to wave and smile. Interestingly after we had initially been told about being the Grand Marshal we were told not to go out and buy new outfits. It hadn't occurred to me to do that but some people must have to have mentioned it!

You should've told them you were from Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch.
:laughing:
Do you know I was tempted but who knows what we would have got!

Has that head tilt down pat!

Yes, it's how she looks at us all the time - for once it fitted the context!

But did you see it? Everything was behind you.

I suppose at that stage it was more a perspective of seeing the crowd from the parade route. When we got to the end of the parade route they had a spot for us to watch the parade. Coming up ...some time in 2017!

Now that's fun! When I dive in Epcot, the guests' reactions are the best part.

That must be really cool. It's funny when I'm doing a show the audience is in darkness so all you have to go on is the applause or laughter. Some nights the audience respond better than others.

It's nice to have that time to get organized but then you get overzealous principals that schedule way too many meetings so you don't have any time in your classroom. :(

It's really difficult to fit everything in to those days but time in the classroom is really valuable.

That would stink. I hate it how it is now during standard time. We get about 7:45-5:45ish daylight right now. Fortunately I don't stay late at school bc I have to get my boys (DH woks til 7 or later) and Daylight savings starts in March so we will get more daylight in the evening then.

Things will start to improve here too in terms of hours of daylight and the clocks will move forward again in the spring. I love the long spring and summer days.

Oh yeh, I'm not even worried about it. I mean if we were offered something I wouldn't say no, but I'm such an uberplanner, it would probably take me a bit to feel okay with the deviation of my plan! So, I'm ok if we are overlooked!

You're right surprises can really knock the schedule. The year the children got to do Pirate's League meant we had even more time at MK and didn't get to do some HS stuff I wanted to do. Some things are worth changing plans for. I'm sure pixie dust will come your way! Now don't be too stressed if it does knock your plans.

Joining in.

:welcome: Disneyhayes. I'm really pleased you have joined us.

I'll answer that by saying I have no idea what you're talking about.

Oops I did it again and there was not even any Scots involved. This man doesn't understand me! Well at least it confirms my assertion that you are not a Jason Derulo fan! He had a song 'Get Ugly' it may have charted higher this side of the Atlantic even though he is from the US.

I like that they're like that.

Me too! You can't have 2 Mickeys in the one place that would be so wrong! Having them as a couple is cute! ::MinnieMo::MickeyMo Although I've noticed they've changed places since that photo! :confused3

Yes I think that really was the only instructions was to wave and smile. Interestingly after we had initially been told about being the Grand Marshal we were told not to go out and buy new outfits. It hadn't occurred to me to do that but some people must have to have mentioned it!

No! Can you imagine? "Why are you wearing dresses and tuxedos??"

:laughing: Do you know I was tempted but who knows what we would have got!

I know exactly what you would've got.
"And your grand marshals... from.... Scotland!"

Yes, it's how she looks at us all the time - for once it fitted the context!

:laughing:

I suppose at that stage it was more a perspective of seeing the crowd from the parade route. When we got to the end of the parade route they had a spot for us to watch the parade. Coming up ...some time in 2017!

Oh good! So you did get to see it!

That must be really cool. It's funny when I'm doing a show the audience is in darkness so all you have to go on is the applause or laughter. Some nights the audience respond better than others.

Doing a show? What do you do?

Oops I did it again and there was not even any Scots involved. This man doesn't understand me!

Jason Derulo and now Britney Spears!

And...

:rotfl:

Well at least it confirms my assertion that you are not a Jason Derulo fan! He had a song 'Get Ugly' it may have charted higher this side of the Atlantic even though he is from the US.

Nope. But then I'm more of a classic rock kinda guy.

Although I've noticed they've changed places since that photo! :confused3

Ooh.... experimenting!

No! Can you imagine? "Why are you wearing dresses and tuxedos??"

I know who would do a thing like that?

PhotoPass_Visiting_MK_390954204877b_zpstqafeaqt.jpg

Nope. But then I'm more of a classic rock kinda guy.

I'm Indie and Rock!The Killers are my favourite band. A mix of contemporary and old school. I only know other stuff from having kids the age of my 2.

Ooh.... experimenting!

I know whatever next? Soon they'll be talking!

Doing a show? What do you do?

Musical theatre. I'm practising hard for 'Summer Holiday' at the start of March.

I know who would do a thing like that?

PhotoPass_Visiting_MK_390954204877b_zpstqafeaqt.jpg

See? Just some idiot.

Can't believe you dug that up!

I'm Indie and Rock!The Killers are my favourite band.

::yes:: The Killers are good!

A mix of contemporary and old school. I only know other stuff from having kids the age of my 2.

::yes::

Musical theatre. I'm practising hard for 'Summer Holiday' at the start of March.

Nice! Been doing that for a while?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter