Georgia paddling video

Okay... this thread is going the way of popcorn::

But I just have to ask... WTH is this 'flicking' in the forehead thing.
Seriously.... Wow...
I am not a no-spanking purist by any means.
I do know and fully believe that some children need stronger forms of discipline.
But, NO WAY IN HE!! AM I GOING TO TOUCH/ASSAULT ANYONE, ESPECIALLY A CHILD, IN THE FACE, EVER.
If a child is ever known to actively assault other children in the face/head... smacking, pinching, pulling hair, etc.. I might, while teaching/disciplining them, 'give them a little taste of what it is like for the other person'. So they know why it is just NOT acceptable.

No way do I think that violence works to stop violence.

A quick effective solution that causes no harm is far less abusive than allowing bad behavior to continue to the point that becomes a problem for the child and everyone around him.

Would you give a much more "traumatic" yank on your 3 year old's arm to keep him from stepping out into oncoming traffic? Will that teach him that it's OK to grow up and be a bully also?

You don't need violence to stop violence. But you do need consequences if you want to stop repeated bad behavior. Most importantly, you need consequences that are age appropriate that they can understand are directly related to the behavior. They won't comprehend that correlation if the consequences aren't experienced at the same time they are exhibiting the bad behavior.

Try it, you'll like it. All you need is a flick hard enough that it would barely break a 9" strand of dry angel hair pasta held at both ends. Problem solved then you can move on to enjoying your kids instead of putting them through hours/weeks of home mental manipulation trying to get a 3 year old mind to understand adult concepts.

Last edited:
Okay... after watching the video and reading some of the comments, I would like to provide my 2 cents. Growing up in the deep South (Louisiana), pretty much everyone I know has been spanked at one time or another (still in high school, so I'm certainly not out of touch), however I have not as my parents truly believed that there were better methods to discipline. They didn't not use corporal punishment because they thought it was "barbaric" or "inhumane", as it truly is not. For those complaining that the child was "hit with a stick", that statement truly does sound ludicrous. All schools that allow corporal punishment do it with a paddle, not just this one school district. I feel like the situation would be exacerbated if the child had been spanked with the administrator's hand, as that would cause loads of other issues. I go to a private Christian school, so spanking is in the Bible and it's basically ingrained into the culture, however, it is NEVER done in malice, and the administrators in the video were certainly NOT acting out of malice.

That doesn't change my mind, paddling a person's rear is wrong. If the act was done on anyone else other than a child it would be a criminal act, no matter if the perpetrator did it with malice or not.

Please give me a range of a few seconds where I can see that these administrators are actually giggling. While they could have handled it with a bit more tact, I don't recall them ever actually giggling at the situation.

It sounded to me like it was the mother giggling. The giggling was closer to the phone than where either administrator was standing. The giggling also occurred after the mother spoke.

I totally agree with the last posts.
While, at the very beginning, the women seem to be trying to reason with and placate the child.
After the first few seconds, their actions and the fact that they seemed to get great pleasure from their actions, seemed very clear.

There is just no way, EVER, that it is acceptable to spank a 5 year old child in school, when there is no obligation, whatsoever, for that child to even be in school.
I am assuming that education in that State is mandatory from age 6.
Has anyone confirmed that?
If this is true, then any mother who takes her 5 year old child into the school, and then actually stands and watches while something like this happens, is just as guilty, and 'off', as those two women on the school staff.

The appropriate reaction would be to have the child removed from Kindergarten, due to developmental and behavioral unreadiness, and placed in an acceptable pre-K program.

I am ready to say that I hold the mother responsible here, 100%
No question.

Again, Speller95, I am not a no-spanking purist.
But I do have to say that your views seem to be skewed, if not very skewed, by your upbringing.

The bolded is utterly ridiculous. Everyone's views are skewed by their upbringing and life experiences. Everyone's. Even yours. To claim otherwise is just flat out wrong. The simple fact that the PP disagrees with you does not mean their views are skewed by their upbringing and yours aren't simply because you are right.

A quick effective solution that causes no harm is far less abusive than allowing bad behavior to continue to the point that becomes a problem for the child and everyone around him.

Would you give a much more "traumatic" yank on your 3 year old's arm to keep him from stepping out into oncoming traffic? Will that teach him that it's OK to grow up and be a bully also?

You don't need violence to stop violence. But you do need consequences if you want to stop repeated bad behavior. Most importantly, you need consequences that are age appropriate that they can understand are directly related to the behavior. They won't comprehend that correlation if the consequences aren't experienced at the same time they are exhibiting the bad behavior.

Try it, you'll like it. All you need is a flick hard enough that it would barely break a 9" strand of dry angel hair pasta held at both ends. Problem solved then you can move on to enjoying your kids instead of putting them through hours/weeks of home mental manipulation trying to get a 3 year old mind to understand adult concepts.

Seriously, that makes me sick to my stomach.

Again, there are other efficient means of discipline, even for 2 and three year olds that does not involve violence.

Like I said in my original post, I was not spanked as a child, and I don't think it should be used as a second, third, or even fourth resort. It should however, be able to be used as an option with parental consent.

She said another suspension for the kid would cause her to go to jail. For the second time. Kid had "medical issues" and missed 18 days. Something doesn't add up if your kid misses for medical reasons the school should work with them to make it up or work with doctors so kid does not get punished of health is real concern

I just found this thread, and debating on actually starting a thread. Sorry to hijack your post.
I may be in the minority, but there are a bunch of issues here. First, a 1st grader is behaving so poorly to actually spit at someone? And he has already missed 18 days of school? The mother has ALREADY been sent to jail for the child missing school. That tells me that she has been before a Judge and the Judge did not buy her "my kid is sick" story. She also had the option of going back to jail herself or have her child paddled. She choose to have him paddled. And then she videotapes it to say "poor me, my poor child"? There needs to be a Dr. Phil invention here!

It sounded to me like it was the mother giggling. The giggling was closer to the phone than where either administrator was standing. The giggling also occurred after the mother spoke.

Oh no you can clearly hear the one "administrator" the one sitting, laughing. It's disgusting.

Yep... Dr. Phil!!!!

PS: I thought about inserting the little watching TV and laughing smiley here.
But, Dr. Phil can sometimes be more serious.

Last edited:
I haven't read this whole thread. My apologies is this has already been posted. Mom claims the principal threatened her with jail if her son wasn't paddled...

Yes, most of us here are aware of that.

The mother here has some SERIOUS credibility issues.
The school seems to already be CYA, are aware of legal issues, and are issuing 'no comment'.

There are no winners here.
No right-or-wrong.
Only wrong.

Like I said in my original post, I was not spanked as a child, and I don't think it should be used as a second, third, or even fourth resort. It should however, be able to be used as an option with parental consent.

I understand, and actually agree for the most part.
I respect your viewpoint!
(which is why I have pointed out that I am NOT a no-spanking purist.)
It was some of the other comments and the tone that I had noticed.

No biggie....:goodvibes

Last edited:
I haven't read the entire thread but although I wouldn't be a complete "no spanking" (I was spanked a few times only for very serious things I knew if it was serious enough to be spanked for that was something I was definitely never to do again. Things that got me a time out were things like not picking up my toys when I was done with them.

The issue is that I was definitely punished at school for things my parents did not think were things I should have been punished for. Some of them harshly. Like one particular teacher that thought it was talking back to question her on something she was teaching. (Most of my other teachers were excited I was interested and paying attention enough to notice, but not this one). I"m sure others here have had teachers that made a big issue out of something with their kid that they felt wasn't worth the punishment they got. In these cases it shouldn't be spanking that is the punishment and teachers should be able to make that decision.

I think too many people want to reach for the same punishments for everything like it is too much work to come up with other ones. I have found kids respond better when there are a number of levels. I know when I worked at a camp there were some counselors that had trouble controlling kids and yelled a lot. If I yelled the kids stopped immediately. Then again the only reason I would do that is a safety issue (no running around a campfire for example).

Last edited:
I haven't read the entire thread but although I wouldn't be a complete "no spanking" (I was spanked a few times only for very serious things I knew if it was serious enough to be spanked for that was something I was definitely never to do again. Things that got me a time out were things like not picking up my toys when I was done with them.

The issue is that I was definitely punished at school for things my parents did not think were things I should have been punished for. Some of them harshly. Like one particular teacher that thought it was talking back to question her on something she was teaching. (Most of my other teachers were excited I was interested and paying attention enough to notice, but not this one). I"m sure others here have had teachers that made a big issue out of something with their kid that they felt wasn't worth the punishment they got. In these cases it shouldn't be spanking that is the punishment and teachers should be able to make that decision.

Sure, but I doubt any school uses paddling for any but the most egregious offenses. Now, I could see an issue if there was a zero tolerance policy on fighting and say, a kid was defending another child from a bully and got paddled for fighting even though he was defending someone else. I can see it being an issue there.

In this case, the boy clearly had absolutely horrible behavior so there was less room for bias.

Sure, but I doubt any school uses paddling for any but the most egregious offenses. Now, I could see an issue if there was a zero tolerance policy on fighting and say, a kid was defending another child from a bully and got paddled for fighting even though he was defending someone else. I can see it being an issue there.

In this case, the boy clearly had absolutely horrible behavior so there was less room for bias.
I guess I am mostly nervous about that one teacher that seems to think everything is the most egregious of offences... 99.9% would be fine. However I don't want to subject anyone to that .1% of teachers that would take it to far.

I guess I am mostly nervous about that one teacher that seems to think everything is the most egregious of offences... 99.9% would be fine. However I don't want to subject anyone to that .1% of teachers that would take it to far.

Very true. I would imagine that is why they generally have a member of the administration do it rather than the child's teacher.

I won't enter the spanking vs. not spanking argument but I will comment on the this poor child is clearly going to be traumatized for life because of this comments. Kids are smart, yes a 5 year is smart. They know how to manipulate, ever had your sweet darling look you right in the eye after doing something they shouldn't have and swear they didn't do it then say they love you? I know my son was an expert at the I'll scream and cry as loud as I can to make it look like someone is killing me so I won't get punished act, the kid could make a tear come at the drop of the hat. He could go into please mommy don't send me to my room, I'll be good and make those big tears come faster than you could blink an eye. He could also argue a point to try to get you on a technicality at the age of 5, you told me not to touch the burner, you didn't say don't touch the pot on the burner. I'm not saying the boy is acting, I'm not saying he didn't want to get spanked, who in their right mind says yes please may I have another. I'm saying, he could be putting on just a little and whether or not he was spanked, he most likely is not going to be traumatized for life from this one incident, unless as an adult he sees how his mother posted it on a public medium.

Since no one actually knows this child or knows what emotional make up he has, or what other experiences he has been through no one can say what this incident will or won't do to him.

Hypothetical situation: I am coming off the Pooh ride with my 4 year old daughter and she throws a terror of a tantrum in the gift shop because she can't get a toy. (that part did happen) What do you think the reception would be in Disney World if I pulled a piece of wood out of my back pack and started beating her on the butt?

I'm pretty sure it would not be a positive one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter