Georgia paddling video

Nope. Still common in a whole lot of places. These days schools often give a child a choice of whether to take a non-corporal punishment or to "take the licks", and many kids choose the paddling because it is over very quickly, as opposed to an option like losing recess for two weeks or having to write 500 lines.

In most of the states where paddling still happens in school, it is still common in homes as well. Kids are fully cognizant of what it feels like, because they have known that form of punishment all their lives.

Oh hell no! You can take my *** to jail for not signing the consent form. I would no way in hell sit there and watch someone do that to my child. I would have snatched him up and taken him home.

ETA: That kid is going to remember that his mother watched and did nothing. That's heartbreaking.

ETAA: Oh, and I did spank my daughter. But never with a paddle.

I think it says something about the mom that she would rather take a secret video and make someone else the bad guy while she sat there and did nothing.

She said another suspension for the kid would cause her to go to jail. For the second time. Kid had "medical issues" and missed 18 days. Something doesn't add up if your kid misses for medical reasons the school should work with them to make it up or work with doctors so kid does not get punished of health is real concern

ETA: That kid is going to remember that his mother watched and did nothing. That's heartbreaking.

I agree. That poor kid. It appears she was over a barrel. She either allowed him to be paddled or he would be suspended and she would go to jail for his truancy. Now, I will admit that she is responsible for his excessive absences. Even if they were medical related, it appears that the only allowed absences are the following (from the school handbook) ...

1) When personally ill and when attendance in school would endanger their health or the health of others;
2) When in the immediate family there is a serious illness or death which would reasonably necessitate absence from school;
3) On special and recognized religious holidays observed by their faith;
4) When mandated by government agencies (i.e. pre-induction physical or subpoena);
5) When prevented from attendance due to weather conditions rendering school attendance impossible or hazardous;
6) When a student serves as a page of the General Assembly (counted present, not excused absence)
7) When registering to vote (one day);
8) When visiting with a military parent on leave from or being deployed to a combat zone (5 days); and
9) When a student in foster care attends court proceedings related to his or her foster care (counted present, not as an excused absence).

... and none of them include doctor's appointments.

Oh, and way to go! Let's punish violence (the boy started a fight) with more violence!

I think it says something about the mom that she would rather take a secret video and make someone else the bad guy while she sat there and did nothing.
I thought the same thing. She consented to it, and then passively sat there planning to shame the school after the fact. I don't agree with paddling kids, but it's legal where she lives, so she should look for a schooling alternative that doesn't offer corporal punishment, such as a private or charter school or homeschooling.

And apparently her son hit another child, ran away from staff and then spit on the staff when they caught up to him. In many districts that would result in a suspension. If there are consequences to parents for your child missing school, and your kid behaves in a way that leads to suspensions, again, it might be time to look for an alternative schooling option.

Completely disgusting. All of it. The kid is FIVE. Geez, even if he missed 18 days of school, he's FIVE. In many states, Kindergarten isn't even mandatory. Why not just hold him back if he misses too many days and make him repeat Kindergarten?

This poor baby (and 5 is still a baby, IMO) is screaming for his mother to help him and those women are smiling and laughing at him. That makes my stomach turn. And when the mom says they don't spank him at home, the women seem surprised.

Georgia (and most of the rest of the south) really needs to move into 2016 and stop these ridiculous punishments. Gosh, if I was that mother, I would have taken my son right home and dared them to arrest me.

Completely disgusting. All of it. The kid is FIVE. Geez, even if he missed 18 days of school, he's FIVE. In many states, Kindergarten isn't even mandatory. Why not just hold him back if he misses too many days and make him repeat Kindergarten?

This poor baby (and 5 is still a baby, IMO) is screaming for his mother to help him and those women are smiling and laughing at him. That makes my stomach turn. And when the mom says they don't spank him at home, the women seem surprised.

Georgia (and most of the rest of the south) really needs to move into 2016 and stop these ridiculous punishments. Gosh, if I was that mother, I would have taken my son right home and dared them to arrest me.

And they would have for truancy violations. Mom had choice and she chose to let it happen then film and vilify

Agree. I really can't even believe there is ONE person defending this action, let alone entire towns and states where this is commonplace.

I thought the same thing. She consented to it, and then passively sat there planning to shame the school after the fact. I don't agree with paddling kids, but it's legal where she lives, so she should look for a schooling alternative that doesn't offer corporal punishment, such as a private or charter school or homeschooling.

And apparently her son hit another child, ran away from staff and then spit on the staff when they caught up to him. In many districts that would result in a suspension. If there are consequences to parents for your child missing school, and your kid behaves in a way that leads to suspensions, again, it might be time to look for an alternative schooling option.

How about the school doing some work and setting up a behavioral plan? I mean, I am not saying the kid has no blame but he is five years old. 5 year olds do stuff like that. If he was 15 and did that, completely different story. While the school has the responsibility of the child during the school day, it is up to THEM to establish successful plans to modify or curb behaviors like that. Our children's elementary school has a very active positive behavior plan in place for ALL students. They regularly remind the kids of the rules and acceptable behaviors, create incentives for them to be good school citizens and treat each other well, be respectful, etc. Every Monday, they have a "morning meeting" as a school where the principal goes over the plan again, recognizing students from each grade who showed exemplary embodiment of the 5 basic tenets, with a certificate. When school teachers and administrators encourage these kinds of positive behavior plans, the students work very hard to be successful, and thus there are rarely incidents like this one at their school (which has over 950 students from K-6th grade, by the way). There is essentially no bullying, no fighting, etc.

If a school district feels that corporal punishment is a "necessity", they are not doing their jobs to provide a safe and positive learning environment for their students.

If it's legal in the state it is not child abuse. I believe they said its legal in GA

Something being "legal" doesn't make it right, from a psychological point of view. A five year old child was traumatized, clearly. Just because the law says it "can" be done, does not make it not abusive. Abuse is defined as: engaging in or characterized by habitual violence and cruelty.

Nothing in that definition says "except when allowed by law."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter