Georgia paddling video

I could see the mother being concerned about some type of court action for the absences and not knowing what else to do. I'm not in Georgia but here there are very few things that count as excused absences. Dr. Appointments would not be excused. Schools send threatening letters home when students start get close to max absences, not even super close but over half. It doesn't matter if those absences are because of a nasty stomach bug, broken leg, dr. Appointments or just a kid skipping school. They are all unexcused and viewed the same. I haven't read anything about this mom so I don't know if this fits her or not but I could see a parent being afraid after being threatened with courts over absences. Dealing with courts, especially over your child and parenting can be very scary and even scarier if you don't have the means to consult with or hire a lawyer to help you, missing work to deal with courts can be devastating to someone who is hanging on to their job by a thread ( which could be the case for someone who has taken off lots of time to take their child to 18 dr. appointments) and needs the pay check or will quickly be on the street.
While I understand there is a time and place for spanking by a parent, there is no reason for it to be going on in schools. I'd say I can't believe schools still allow this but then I look at some of the other backwards, old fashioned, ridiculous things going on in some states and I realize it shouldn't be shocking.

From the GA DOE (gadoe.org)
The GA law has this:
School days missed as a result of an out of school suspension shall not count as
unexcused days for the purpose of determining student truancy.
There's a transcript from a local news report that aired last night where she said she didn't confirm with the school that suspension would count, she said that the school did not offer that information, but also admits she didn't ask.

I could see the mother being concerned about some type of court action for the absences and not knowing what else to do. I'm not in Georgia but here there are very few things that count as excused absences. Dr. Appointments would not be excused. Schools send threatening letters home when students start get close to max absences, not even super close but over half. It doesn't matter if those absences are because of a nasty stomach bug, broken leg, dr. Appointments or just a kid skipping school. They are all unexcused and viewed the same. I haven't read anything about this mom so I don't know if this fits her or not but I could see a parent being afraid after being threatened with courts over absences. Dealing with courts, especially over your child and parenting can be very scary and even scarier if you don't have the means to consult with or hire a lawyer to help you, missing work to deal with courts can be devastating to someone who is hanging on to their job by a thread ( which could be the case for someone who has taken off lots of time to take their child to 18 dr. appointments) and needs the pay check or will quickly be on the street.
While I understand there is a time and place for spanking by a parent, there is no reason for it to be going on in schools. I'd say I can't believe schools still allow this but then I look at some of the other backwards, old fashioned, ridiculous things going on in some states and I realize it shouldn't be shocking.

I can see the mother being scared and this being threatened into agreeing to consent.

My point is we don't know the whole story. The law in GA is 6-16 compulsory attendance. Parents are VERY rarely arrested because of this. The court would not see a bunch of medical appointments for determining cancer and then find truancy for a 5 year old. And suspension is not counted as truancy. This is from the law as written on the GA DOE website.

I can't wrap my brain around punishing a kid for hitting.... by hitting him.
My child was a "biter" back in daycare. A number of people suggested back then that, in order to break the "habit", he needs to be bitten back. Whether that's from a parent or another child.

There is never an acceptable reason to hit a child. I have never struck my children.
And because you haven't spanked your child, no child anywhere else ever needs spanked? Consider yourself fortunate that you never had to go to that level then. All kids are different and react to different punishment.

And because you haven't spanked your child, no child anywhere else ever needs spanked? Consider yourself fortunate that you never had to go to that level then. All kids are different and react to different punishment.

Entire countries have banned corporal punishment, considering it barbaric or abusive. 42 at last count. I would consider the children the fortunate ones. Parents need to practice self control.

Having courts involved in school attendance is stupidity at its finest. Schools and threatening are words that should never be in the same sentence.
This archaic notion in some states of tying funding to daily attendance is ludicrous.

In the late 70s I was in Catholic school and was hit often. On the back of the head with a book, on the hands with a ruler, on the back of the legs with a stick....

Then I switched to public school where students could choose between getting paddled or getting suspended. Everyone I knew always chose the paddle. 10 second in the Principal's office and then it's done. I also had a drill team instructor who would hit us on the back with a stick if we didn't stand up straight in our high kick line.

No one made a big deal of it back in the 70s and 80s. We took our licks and moved on. I am kind of surprised some schools still paddle. I just assumed no one did that anymore.

In the late 70s I was in Catholic school and was hit often. On the back of the head with a book, on the hands with a ruler, on the back of the legs with a stick....

Then I switched to public school where students could choose between getting paddled or getting suspended. Everyone I knew always chose the paddle. 10 second in the Principal's office and then it's done. I also had a drill team instructor who would hit us on the back with a stick if we didn't stand up straight in our high kick line.

No one made a big deal of it back in the 70s and 80s. We took our licks and moved on. I am kind of surprised some schools still paddle. I just assumed no one did that anymore.

So you were frequently hit throughout your school years. Looks like that kind of punishment didn't work for you. Maybe they should have tried something else?

My child was a "biter" back in daycare. A number of people suggested back then that, in order to break the "habit", he needs to be bitten back. Whether that's from a parent or another child.

In my circle of friends, we have NO hitters amongst us, and our kids run the gamut of types. Funny how none of us found hitting to be the answer, even though our kids are vastly different from one another. Heck, even my own two (twins at that) are as different as night and day. They are disciplined differently because their "currency" is different.

So you were frequently hit throughout your school years. Looks like that kind of punishment didn't work for you. Maybe they should have tried something else?

In Catholic school nothing would have worked for me. Let's see... I was hit on the back of the head with a book for not knowing what page to start reading on... hit on my hands with a ruler for not holding my pencil the right way... and hit on the back of my legs because my skirt was too short. Not huge infractions at all. I was just being a kid. When you went to Catholic school in the 70s, you just expected to be hit by nuns.

I never was paddled in public school. As for the drill team... we did win lots of awards. Getting hit like that really didn't bother me or any of my friends one bit. We'd get over it so fast, we didn't even think anything of it. No one made a big deal about it like they do now.

I have a thick skin. My 19 year old on the other hand is offended BY EVERYTHING. It's so freaking annoying. Maybe he would have a thicker skin if he'd been whacked by nuns when he was a kid. I dunno :)

There's a transcript from a local news report that aired last night where she said she didn't confirm with the school that suspension would count, she said that the school did not offer that information, but also admits she didn't ask.
Who is supposed to be the expert at Department of Education rules? The parent of a 5-year old or the principal of the school?

Here's the thing. She signed something that said this kid could be paddled. She gave permission, she knew it was a possibility. Many schools still use paddling as a punishment and for some kids, it works. To sign and give her permission and then record and try to blame the school is ridiculous. If he missed too many days due to a medical reason then she should have had dr. excuses for every one of those days and she should have already been working with the school to make sure that the days were made up, excused or whatever. Many, many places do not count dr. excused days toward truancy and it makes sense that they do not.

No one abused this child. If his mother had not been in the room, I seriously doubt he would have been saying "help me". Was he scared? Probably. Was he hurt? doubtful.

And unless Georgia law is very different from ours, she would not have went to jail over one day oss. She may have had to go to court but they would not have removed her from her home where she takes care of her child to put her jail for his truancy. We had to go to court over dd's absences one year and there was no need for lawyers or anything of the sort. We went to the court room. The truancy officer stated the number of days and stated how many were excused by dr. excuses. The judge gave us a warning and it was done.

Kids have been paddled in school since the beginning of time, and most are well adjusted adults who succeed in life. There are no lasting effects for the vast majority of people who have been paddled in school. To call this educator "hill billy trash" is offensive and uncalled for. If the kid doesn't do whatever offense he did to earn this punishment, I would say it worked.

Here's the thing. She signed something that said this kid could be paddled. She gave permission, she knew it was a possibility. Many schools still use paddling as a punishment and for some kids, it works. To sign and give her permission and then record and try to blame the school is ridiculous. If he missed too many days due to a medical reason then she should have had dr. excuses for every one of those days and she should have already been working with the school to make sure that the days were made up, excused or whatever. Many, many places do not count dr. excused days toward truancy and it makes sense that they do not.

No one abused this child. If his mother had not been in the room, I seriously doubt he would have been saying "help me". Was he scared? Probably. Was he hurt? doubtful.

And unless Georgia law is very different from ours, she would not have went to jail over one day oss. She may have had to go to court but they would not have removed her from her home where she takes care of her child to put her jail for his truancy. We had to go to court over dd's absences one year and there was no need for lawyers or anything of the sort. We went to the court room. The truancy officer stated the number of days and stated how many were excused by dr. excuses. The judge gave us a warning and it was done.

Kids have been paddled in school since the beginning of time, and most are well adjusted adults who succeed in life. There are no lasting effects for the vast majority of people who have been paddled in school. To call this educator "hill billy trash" is offensive and uncalled for. If the kid doesn't do whatever offense he did to earn this punishment, I would say it worked.

I stand 100% by my comments that these woman are hillbilly trash. I have worse names that I can't call them here. I'm offended watching people "legally" hit children .

Child slave labour has also happened legally in many countries since the beginning of time. No sure of your point.

Video coming out of Georgia. How barbaric! Oh my goodness I didn't realize schools still do this. Didn't this kind of thing go out of normal use 75 years ago?

http://globalnews.ca/news/2641008/g...s-threatening-to-paddle-her-son/?sf24461783=1

If someone did that to my kid I would smack them and call the cops on them for child abuse.

And in Georgia most likely you would be the one arrested for smacking the principal.

Did the kid actually wind up being smacked with the paddle? The video doesn't show it.

Who is supposed to be the expert at Department of Education rules? The parent of a 5-year old or the principal of the school?
She admits she didn't even ask. Instead she agreed to the paddling and then secretly recorded it and hired an attorney. I doubt the principal is directly involved in charging parents with truancy issues. More likely that happens at the district level. Why would the principal offer that the mother should choose to have her child suspended because he already had X number of days missed when the mother agreed she wanted this form of discipline instead of a suspension?

I find nothing wrong with corporal punishment. If more of the snowflakes raised during the past 30 years had been subjected to it, we probably wouldn't have so many whining cry-babies who are offended when they don't get their way.

As for the"hillbilly" crack, that just creates the perception that those posters are ignorant, and as we all know, perception is reality.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter