Genie+ won't allow re-rides?

I’m surprised so many people like to ride the same ride twice in one day.
I don't find it at all odd. In fact I feel like going on a theme park vacation and only wanting to (NOT to be confused with the ability to) ride all rides once to actually be the surprising thing. Like if you don't enjoy the ride sure totally makes sense to not want to ride it but why in the world would I spend my time, money, energy and more to ride a ride I like just once in a day if I can physically ride it more than once. Consider all the guests that opt to not get park hoppers, all the package deals where it's 1 park per day and a lot of those are meant for families. Kids love to re-ride rides too.

Then add on rides that are competition ones. Then add on rides that have different feels for different parts of the day either based on lighting or the darkness adding a different element.

I think it's totally fine either way but I'm not surprised by people wanting to reride in the same day.

In some ways it can be compared to Universal but Universal has 2 tiers: once through and unlimited. Also Universal doesn't separate out rides like Disney is doing here between Genie+ and Individual Attraction Selection. It's either included on EP or it's not.

Disney is sure deciding to make this very complicated. Prior to all this I found FP+ to not be complicated but more nervous the first time I used it. But this is just like an overcomplication just because.

So in Epcot you are basically paying $7.50 each to ride soarin and test track. Then the cost of frozen on top if you want that. Definitely enhanced my experience lol. Thank god im not in Disney PR and Marketing for a career, I would go home guilty every day.

I’m surprised so many people like to ride the same ride twice in one day. Even when the rides are walk-ons, or when I had the Universal Express pass I never even considered it. I’m wondering what percentage of Disney guests would find this a problem with the Genie+.

If a large percentage of FP+ riders were riding popular rides a second time in the afternoons I could see how this would free up additional Genie+ options later in the day, which would make Genie+ more valuable for those that like riding everything once.

Honestly, it just depends on the day. Our last day a few years back, we only had a few hours in Epcot before needing to head back to the resort to catch DME for our flight. My kids picked Epcot to ride their favorite rides. We were able to ride Soarin' and TT each multiple times using the old FP+ system...We grabbed one plus Finding Nemo and Spaceship Earth, modified to move the times up as we went, and then just went back and forth on Soarin and TT. As soon as we scanned in for one we'd look for another FP. My kids were in heaven! So on a typical park day...we may ride an attraction once or maybe twice. But on a few hours in the park "best of" day? Totally different story. And that was during a relatively busy time- certainly not Christmas crazy busy but mid-April busy.

We also re-rode quite a bit on our AK day. We did all attractions and the shows we wanted to do and still had plenty of time to spare (and we didn't even get to the park until lunchtime). Now, the rain had cleared the park out so that made it so we could get through a lot quicker, but still....if you want to fill a whole day at AK, you're likely going to want to ride things more than once.

In some ways it can be compared to Universal but Universal has 2 tiers: once through and unlimited. Also Universal doesn't separate out rides like Disney is doing here between Genie+ and Individual Attraction Selection. It's either included on EP or it's not.

Disney is sure deciding to make this very complicated. Prior to all this I found FP+ to not be complicated but more nervous the first time I used it. But this is just like an overcomplication just because.
There are a some rides that aren't included in Express Pass at all (Hagrids and Velocicoaster currently). So that seems comparable to me to what Disney is offering because those aren't included in the basic plan they sell.

However, the big difference to me is that there is an option to get EP unlimited for free by staying at a hotel similar in cost to what Disney is charging for a moderate these days.

There are a some rides that aren't included in Express Pass at all (Hagrids and Velocicoaster currently). So that seems comparable to me to what Disney is offering because those aren't included in the basic plan they sell.
Perhaps I didn't word it very well which would be my bad. What I was meaning with that is that rides not included in EP don't have a way to bypass the standby line. It's either EP or Standby. Universal commonly puts it's newest attractions excluded from EP therefore you only get to ride it by standby.

With Disney they are separating it out to rides that have Genie+ or Individual Attraction Selection both of which come with a cost. The more apt comparison IMO is if Disney did Genie+ with selected attractions and then any attraction not available in Genie+ were simply Standby. But that's not the route they are going. IF Universal charged a separate fee for Hagrids for instance outside of EP then Universal would be more comparable in that respects to what Disney is doing. Rise for instance is available to bypass Standby by paying a separate fee under Individual Attraction Selection, Hagrids presently is simply Standby until Universal opts to add it to EP.

However, the big difference to me is that there is an option to get EP unlimited for free by staying at a hotel similar in cost to what Disney is charging for a moderate these days.
Def. and it's one of the reasons for our May trip we may end up staying at one of the Premier hotels for the Universal portion of the trip. The cost is higher than we personally normally have as a limit but pales in comparison to what Disney charges

Last edited:
Guests who pay the extra fees at least. I theorize this will make the standby lines even longer.
Guests who knew how to work the system would get multiple FPs for the same attraction during the course of the day. These same guests, assuming they are paying for genie, will have to wait on the standby line for subsequent rides. Theoretically the lightning line might be shorter. Some of those guests might use the standy line to ride more then once. Many of those guests will ride fewer time, unless the standby line is short. The change should make it easier for Genie guests to get a lightning pass. Particularly true for regular guests who don't scour internet fan forums for tips on "advanced techniques" and were shut out with the old FP+ system.

Guests who knew how to work the system would get multiple FPs for the same attraction during the course of the day. These same guests, assuming they are paying for genie, will have to wait on the standby line for subsequent rides. Theoretically the lightning line might be shorter. Some of those guests might use the standy line to ride more then once. Many of those guests will ride fewer time, unless the standby line is short. The change should make it easier for Genie guests to get a lightning pass. Particularly true for regular guests who don't scour internet fan forums for tips on "advanced techniques" and were shut out with the old FP+ system.
Maybe shorter than pre-pandemic. But not shorter than the current waits where nobody has the ability to skip standby.

Right, but it was a given Disney would be bringing back a paid line skip.

I think limiting the line skip to once per attraction is a net plus to an average guest
Maybe to you.

We will have to agree to disagree on this one.

Maybe to you.

We will have to agree to disagree on this one.
Nothing wrong with agreeing to disagree.
It's not clear which part. The inevitable paid line skip?

My opinion that limiting the line skip to once per attraction benefits the averages guest? Every additional line skip for a guest is potentially one less genie skip available for others and or one more rider ahead of standbys.

The upcoming genie benefits first time guests and guests who don't spend time researching. In other words real guests vs Disney freaks. Regular members of Disney fan forums sometimes forget we're not the typical guest

Nothing wrong with agreeing to disagree.
It's not clear which part. The inevitable paid line skip?

My opinion that limiting the line skip to once per attraction benefits the averages guest? Every additional line skip for a guest is potentially one less genie skip available for others and or one more rider ahead of standbys.

The upcoming genie benefits first time guests and guests who don't spend time researching. In other words real guests vs Disney freaks. Regular members of Disney fan forums sometimes forget we're not the typical guest
Genie+ will not be limited to super fans. Even some like lightweights will notice the copious amounts of advertising Disney will do and take them up on it.

So yes, it’s better for non purchasers if purchasers are limited to one ride. But a wide range of people will indeed buy it on a given day. And it definitely won’t be better for them.

If you need a system to allow each of your paying guests “the ability to enjoy an attraction at least once” surely signals there’s something fundamentally broken.
Guests want to ride new attractions, something is wrong if they don't. Didn't Disney build a 3rd theater for Soarin? Same with Toy Story Mania? ToT has 2 drop shafts. Maybe Disney isn't building enough capacity for some of their newer attractions. Universal doesn't use Express Passfor their newest attractions.

My thought is that Disney is doing one LL per ride to try to ensure anyone purchasing Genie+ is not locked out of LL for multiple popular rides (avoiding angry guests that paid for Genie+ but then could not use LL as expected). It is all about ride capacity - if, for example, Disney decided to have 2,000 LL for a particular ride per day, they want to spread it out amongst as many guests as possible. Especially for people who don't know about FastPass+, the ability to use Genie+ to do LL once per day per ride will seem like a good deal.

Yep WDW should provide unlimited LL for their Deluxe guests as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter