Genie+ won't allow re-rides?

I’m surprised so many people like to ride the same ride twice in one day. Even when the rides are walk-ons, or when I had the Universal Express pass I never even considered it. I’m wondering what percentage of Disney guests would find this a problem with the Genie+.

If a large percentage of FP+ riders were riding popular rides a second time in the afternoons I could see how this would free up additional Genie+ options later in the day, which would make Genie+ more valuable for those that like riding everything once.

I’m surprised so many people like to ride the same ride twice in one day. Even when the rides are walk-ons, or when I had the Universal Express pass I never even considered it. I’m wondering what percentage of Disney guests would find this a problem with the Genie+.

If a large percentage of FP+ riders were riding popular rides a second time in the afternoons I could see how this would free up additional Genie+ options later in the day, which would make Genie+ more valuable for those that like riding everything once.
My guess is that the type of Disney guest that upper management covets (the once-in-a-lifetime guest with deep pockets) will not mind that it is once per attraction and won't even be aware that once upon a time, there existed a complimentary version that allowed re-rides. In fact, I think the big brass are counting on it.

I don’t do it all the time, but sometimes later in the day I will re-ride my favorites. During an after hours event at AK, I rode FoP 3 times and Everest 6 times, that was mostly because AK didn’t have a lot of other rides to do though :)

I think the positive is this may also keep standby lines moving faster. If you’ve already ridden everything with Genie+ in the morning, you can’t re-ride so the LL queues should in theory at least be shorter meaning standby will move faster.

I'll reserve judgment until I see everything in action. FP+ wasn't the greatest when it debuted. (if you park hopped, you couldn't get a FP from the app, you had to go to the kiosks or something like that). And if I remember the FPs were pre-selected (or pre-recommended) and modifying them was a pain in the butt.
When FP+ started it was 3 and that was it. You weren't able to get more at all. Then after a bit you could only get more from the kiosk (even if it was in the same park). Then they added the option to your phone. Many people (not everybody of course) hated FP+ at first, too.

I re-ride rides all the time. At Universal I rode Mummy 12 times over 2 days.

There are times we like too, I mean we rode big thunder 7 times in one day in June. First trip one of my kids rode it, and loved it.

guests should have the option too if they want to.
Less options isnt a good thing

interesting - so for folks who are NOT morning people and loved FP+ because they could reserve a late pm/evening ride...sounds like this could work well. They wouldn't have to deal with rope drop...just save their LL for later on. We never really wanted to ride anything more than 1x a day anyhow.

interesting - so for folks who are NOT morning people and loved FP+ because they could reserve a late pm/evening ride...sounds like this could work well. They wouldn't have to deal with rope drop...just save their LL for later on.
I can see where that might be appealing to some people but it would only work for IA$ for offsite people once they entered a park. By then availability for evening IA$ could be limited or nonexistent if they take their time and don't enter the park until late morning or early afternoon.

ETA: For Genie+, the system only offers a "next available" time slot for an attraction, so you may not be able to save LL choices for late PM/evening without constantly refreshing until a favorable time slot appears.

I can see where that might be appealing to some people but it would only work for IA$ for offsite people once they entered a park. By then availability for evening IA$ could be limited or nonexistent if they take their time and don't enter the park until late morning or early afternoon.

ETA: For Genie+, the system only offers a "next available" time slot for an attraction, so you may not be able to save LL choices for late PM/evening without constantly refreshing until a favorable time slot appears.

Aah...that makes sense. (Shoulda known it was too good to be true. lol)

I think this is the problem. Disney covets new guests more than the existing ones…
I just heard from a friend who took his family down there this week, they go every year. “We had fun, but we won’t be back for 5 years, it’s not worth the money and we know it’s going to get worse”.
That was a text from this morning.

disney is telling a lot of people they don’t want them back.

There are a number of rides we can no longer ride. Knees don't bend well enough to get in and out of rides like splash. But we do like doing buzz three times to see who gets the higher score .

We always rode our favourite rides multiple times/day with FP including FOP 3-4 times/day. We would do TSM over and over trying to improve our scores. With this limitation I think we may just get G+ 1-2 days at the beginning of our trip, park hop to all of our favourite rides those days, and then take it easy after that doing lower tier rides. Not how I would prefer to do it but I'm going to make sure I get as much value out of G+ as I can.

Why don't they just tell you where to go and when? Arrive at the gate and get assigned a touring plan. Follow that plan in order and at the set times and you get a decent park experience. Choose not to follow it and you're wandering around locked out of everything.

We always rode our favourite rides multiple times/day with FP including FOP 3-4 times/day. We would do TSM over and over trying to improve our scores. With this limitation I think we may just get G+ 1-2 days at the beginning of our trip, park hop to all of our favourite rides those days, and then take it easy after that doing lower tier rides. Not how I would prefer to do it but I'm going to make sure I get as much value out of G+ as I can.
I have the opposite plan. If we need to, we'll use it with hopping at the end of our trip to ride whatever we weren't willing to wait for earlier.

Why don't they just tell you where to go and when? Arrive at the gate and get assigned a touring plan. Follow that plan in order and at the set times and you get a decent park experience. Choose not to follow it and you're wandering around locked out of everything.
Because then the couldn't charge a bunch of money for it? :rotfl2:

But seriously, something like that would require an extreme level of predictability that families with young children cannot be held to. Potty breaks, diaper mishaps, meltdowns, etc. It just wouldn't work to penalize a family for something that is beyond their control.

Because then the couldn't charge a bunch of money for it? :rotfl2:

But seriously, something like that would require an extreme level of predictability that families with young children cannot be held to. Potty breaks, diaper mishaps, meltdowns, etc. It just wouldn't work to penalize a family for something that is beyond their control.

And how will it work with groups? Last trip, we had some adults go on big rides with big kids, other adults went on "baby" rides with the younger kids. Dd will go crazy trying to keep track of all those plans on her phone.

Beyond the paying for something that was previously included in admission. Not mentioning the 'you can only ride once' detail. I have zero faith in the Disney IT department or the Disney 'YMMV' wifi to be able to handle this application.

Not to mention no refunds or cancellations unless the ride goes down for the day. . . . .

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter