Genie+ at DLR starting on 12/8

Odd they didn't announce the ILL prices.
Or maybe I missed it.

Not odd. They are going with dynamic pricing. I think this is going to be a case of testing what the market will bear, easier to do if they don't get too specific about pricing up front. There is a range, but that doesn't mean they can't go for the top of the range as often as possible until they don't sell out...

…because OF COURSE they announce it the day I fly back from LA. I was just there last Thursday and Friday, the 2nd-3rd. Ah well, I’m back in late January, by that time there’ll be good strategies in place here on the boards.

I joined the Genie+ group on FB a while back and am amazed at how many people are really confused by the concept or complain that they felt cheated out of their money because they only rode a handful of rides or could not get the times they wanted without waking up at midnight to purchase individual days of Genie+ and then waking up at 7am to make selections (at WDW). There are a lot of moving parts to it which make things pretty murky, even for people with a lot of experience in the parks. I was really excited about it when first announced, but I'm not sure if we'll end up paying for it. Hopefully we will have a better experience with it, but the reviews so far are not the best.

Loved MaxPass but I’m so so disappointed about the one ride per day aspect. It makes no sense to me. I guess the solace is the potential for shorter standby wait times but that remains to be seen. Is there still single rider? I’m out of the loop a bit.

Loved MaxPass but I’m so so disappointed about the one ride per day aspect. It makes no sense to me. I guess the solace is the potential for shorter standby wait times but that remains to be seen. Is there still single rider? I’m out of the loop a bit.
Yes there is still single rider. Space, Star Tours (never open), Matterhorn, Indy (never open), Splash, Falcon, Cars (closes at night), Incredicoaster (absolutely terrible except in the morning), Goofy, and Grizzly.

But don't you have to scan into the park to buy genie+ first too? Or would you buy the lighting lane then purchase genie+ for the other rides?
I think your right. I would buy LL$ first. To make sure you get what you want. But I am under the impression it won’t be like WDW I don’t think you will see the paid. LL sell out like you see there.

Unless you have a park hopper AND you rope drop, I just see this as a waste of money. This is due to the one lightning lane per attraction per day restriction. I can’t imagine buying this if I was only in one park per day And being happy with the purchase, especially DCA.

I guess this is to encourage you to get a park hopper.

the ILL seems like a better deal if you must ride it, but it of course depends on the price.

Unless you have a park hopper AND you rope drop, I just see this as a waste of money. This is due to the one lightning lane per attraction per day restriction. I can’t imagine buying this if I was only in one park per day And being happy with the purchase, especially DCA.

the ILL seems like a better deal if you must ride it, but it of course depends on the price.

Actually I have a one park per day ticket for a trip at the end of January. I am excited to use Genie+ and Individual Lightning Lanes and have allowed for the cost in my budget for each day. I have a spreadsheet touring plan for each day and I have made dining reservations.

Having the photopass attached to the DLR Genie+ is a nice perk. Plenty of photographers to get many great pictures along with all the ride photos! Makes the purchase feel a bit better.

I agree, I never used photopass before as it was an extra charge and I used the free fastpass paper kiosks. Since the shutdown in March 2020, Ive been looking back at all my photos from previous trips and I have no on ride photos or photos of me. Thats one of must do things to do on my January trip :)

I agree, I never used photopass before as it was an extra charge and I used the free fastpass paper kiosks. Since the shutdown in March 2020, Ive been looking back at all my photos from previous trips and I have no on ride photos or photos of me. Thats one of must do things to do on my January trip :)
You will really enjoy that part. Snap a pic of the ride photo number and add it to your account on the App. Also a helpful tip is take a screen shot of your photopass scan bar. Makes the photographer scanning that much easier without having to keep opening the App to pull it up. Have fun!!

Personally, the “one ride per day” thing works well for me, because we’re usually one-and-done for most rides. Often once per trip is fine. And you could always rope drop those rides and then do a LL for it later, or just commit to the standby line- maybe during a parade or fireworks, or late at night.

When I’m writing an in-depth touring plan, I’ll often make each ride a different designation: this one is a favorite, we’ll ride it every day- or just once this trip is plenty. (ROTR vs Small World)

Yes there is still single rider. Space, Star Tours (never open), Matterhorn, Indy (never open), Splash, Falcon, Cars (closes at night), Incredicoaster (absolutely terrible except in the morning), Goofy, and Grizzly.
Thank you for the detailed list. Guess it will be single rider ( when open, but never at night lol ) for us if we want to hit a ride more than once lol.

I agree with the idea of going for your big ride that you may want to do more than once at Rope Drop and then doing Genie+ for it later. I can see Disney maybe relaxing the once a day rule if Genie+ isn't selling as well. It will be interesting to see how it goes because in my limited times with Maxpass, it really didn't see like it was being used as much by the locals. Maybe that just speaks to locals not worrying about hitting every ride like a vacationer like I would with limited time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter