Gas Prices

mickey'sbud

DIS Veteran
I hear prices are expected to keep going up. We're going in 3 weeks and I hope we aren't there during the peak.
What are gas prices in central Florida now?

last weekend they averaged $1.65 for reg unleaded. BUT that was last week.......not sure how much more this week:(

Hi,

Just wanted to let you know that when we arrived in Florida on April 21st. we paid 1.49 a gallon.
When we left Florida on May 5th it was up to 1.79 per gallon.

Hope this isn't too discouraging.

Tracycd.

Not too discouraging for those of us living in neighboring states. Still less than 4 airline tickets. But for all of you up North or out West ouch!!

We cancelled a trip to Colorado this summer because of gas prices. But don't feel too sorry for us we're flying out for a week at Christmas! Already put in my request for snow!!

When is this insanity going to stop??

Melissa

That link is very interesting.... being able to see what the country is doing,........ the sad part is that the link is dated 4/26/01 (look in your address bar when you get there) and our (NC) prices already seem to be 10-15 cents over what they were at the end of april!
I watched a news special the other night that said areas of Ca are already at 2.00 and one northern state was at 2.02......... makes our 1.53 look good ( and that's sad!! :rolleyes: )
It also said the prices may well go over $3 !!!!
Ok, I must be really out to lunch, but can anyone explain WHY this is happening?? It doesn't seem to be a shortage so????????
Kathi

I live in Indiana where the lowest grade 87 is about 1.89 with premium over $2. They said the other night the Midwest had the highest (with CA probably) and the South the lowest. WE probably won't be pulling our camper any this summer due to the prices. We get about 9 - 10 mpg. Lucky for us, we went to the beach in FL over spring break with the camper. We're supposed to go back down, but stay in a condo over the summer. It's just ridiculous!

I live in Indiana also but the prices are $1.71 today. It can change several times a day around here. We went to DW the end of April and found the gas prices on the way down cheaper than here. It cost us $82 for the round trip. Our Camry got 34 mpg. Gas is still a very small part of our vacation budget but we find that rather than going on rambling, state to state holidays when prices are high we pick a place like DW where we can find everything in one place and just relax. Have also noticed thru the years that when gas prices are high motel rates decline because of lower traffic. It evens out. IMHO Linda

But today I was forced to pay $1.61 at the pump. I was trying to hold out to see if the price would go down, but I ran out of time (almost ran out of gas). Still only put what I needed for a few days in the tank; I feel like they will probably go down a little after Mother's day. It seems like we always get gouged near travel specific holidays.

We are going to Indy for the weekend (dance competition). Does anyone know what gas prices range there? Thanks.

Someone was nice enough to try to patiently explain to me the reason for the increase. I don't really understand it but it had something to do with pipelines and not being able to efficiently get the gasoline to the consumer.

Hope this helps.

California's energy crisis and their rolling backouts,have adversely affected gas production at the refinerys that are forced to shut down due to a lack of power. And that will drive up gasoline prices. :(

I paid $1.94 yesterday. Gas prices is such a sore spot for me right now. But, I figure a trip to Florida is probably going to only cost about $20 more for gas than it did two months ago, and I consider it worth it, even if it does grind me the wrong way. I still don't know why the heck Mich and Ill are paying so much more than everyone else. We are expected to climb close to $3 by the end of the summer.

Wisconsin is outragous too. They say (news) that we have the fifth highest in the country right now. I have also heard $3 a gallon by end of summer. What a pain, as we are driving down the end of September. Maybe the price will start to drop by then. Ususally does after summer driving season. But it will still be cheaper than flying for four people! Much cheaper!

Hello Disneymom

We are south of you near Columbus, IN. I was curious since you said you were going to a dance competition. I have a cousin who does that also. Her name is Stasia and her new husband's name is Joe. I cannot think of her new last name. Just figured as the world is getting smaller all the time you might know her.

I think I have seen and read where the reason the Midwest gas is more expensive is because of the additives that they are required to use to cut down on pollution. There was talk on the news last night that they might make it possible for all states to use the same formula which would cut costs. Also a major part of the gas prices are the taxes. It does not make me feel better to know that they have had $3 gas in Europe for years. Ahhhh!

Matris2 (aka slightly Goofy) (aka Linda)

Well gas prices always gripe me, but after reading all your posts, I guess you'll think me silly even for asking the question to start with. Earlier this week I paid 1.38. It was the cheapest near me.

If you're driving to WDW thru Georgia, I found that Race Trac gas stations are usually the cheapest around the west side of Atlanta. I know it will cost alot more once we get in Florida. Their gas is always .10-.20 more a gallon than us and I expect WDW area to be even more than that.

Michigan's gas was $1.89 on May 5th. It was only $1.79 on site at Disney World. (Never thought I would think anything on site was a deal! LOL)

The mid west supposedly has stricter emmissions standards with more additives than Florida and Georgia. We also have higher taxes on our gas.

It might help if people continued buying cars that are fuel efficient instead of all the SUV's. If you aren't pulling a trailer, why do you need to drive a gas guzzler?

***If you aren't pulling a trailer, why do you need to drive a gas guzzler?**

I don't know if that was meant for me or not, but that's why we have the "big" custom van. It's also so much more comfortable than other vehicles. I'm spoiled by the comfort. We also have a minivan (21-23mpg) which is what my DH is driving to and from work in Indy (50 round trip). Now I have to drive that big van! I don't like it because it's much bigger, but it's much cheaper since I don't drive too much around here. Our "big" van gets about 15-16mpg w/o the camper. We ordered a Tornado air system that's can give up to 24% more mpg. We'll see ;) Hope it does!

Prices were down to about $1.78 for lowest octane, but my sis who lives in New Castle said it was about .10 cheaper there.

Speaking of dance competition... my friend who used to live here, now in Ohio was in town for the competition as well. We didn't make it down to Indy for it though.

GA residents... you're so lucky. I'd love to have 1.38 for gas right now! We do have stricter gas regulations requiring cleaner gas or something like that. They also said some big refinery had a big fire that cost them something like 60% output.

The prices are increasing due to the summer mix that is required to help reduce pollution. Supposedly, there is a shortage of the chemicals used to make this summer mix, which is leading to the escalating gas prices.

By the way, I live in PA and paid $1.46 for 87 grade on Saturday, but just an hour away in Philadelphia, they are being charged $1.70!

These gas prices are something Mr. Bill O'Reilly on Fox News should take a look at. I don't understand the differences in the prices throughout the country, but I especially don't understand why gas is 1.799 where I live and the town 12 miles west of here is selling it for 1.669. And both towns are in southern Illinois!

Somebody is making a fortune off of us, and the worst part is, the media is just sitting back watching it happen!!

Kim:wave: :wave: :wave:

We are feeling the price increase in Ok. too. My DH works in the oilfield industry and I asked him what is causing the price increase. I thought maybe a shortage or something like that, but he says there is no shortage or real reason for it. He tends to think that it is partially due to the fact that we have a new Pres. (Geaorge W.) an partially because the oil industry wants to do it! In other words, they are a bunch of greedy #*@%'s who want to get even richer than they already are!!! BTW, my DH won't profit from this, he is on a salary that will stay the same no matter what the gas prices are, or no matter how many hours he works!!! Sorry this was kind of bashing the oil people, but that's what I think!!!:bounce:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter