Galaxy's Edge Performance and Evolution Discussion

I thought character attendants just stood to the side and weren’t in costume or involved much with the characters. This person looked and sounded like Finn, dressed like Finn including the jacket, and was acting along with the people playing Rey and Chewie. Consulted with Rey and Chewie, helped set up the practice game, examined the ship with Rey...wasn’t trying to “manage” Rey and Chewie at all.

I thought character attendants just stood to the side and weren’t in costume or involved much with the characters. This person looked and sounded like Finn, dressed like Finn including the jacket, and was acting along with the people playing Rey and Chewie. Consulted with Rey and Chewie, helped set up the practice game, examined the ship with Rey...wasn’t trying to “manage” Rey and Chewie at all.
In batuu the character attendant's are in batuuan costume and do interact. Remember all cm are characters of BSO

Imagineers have said and SWGE CM know that the land wasn't built with a specific group in mind. It was built for all sorts of visitors which is why it's a new place, no need to know sw universe to enjoy it, people just need to visit and allow themselves to get into the story

That's how I understood it as well. No doubt they did things with fans in mind. They probably even did things with "hardcore" fans in mind. I just didn't like the notion of actually blaming hardcore fans for its perceived under-performance. I understand there are plenty of hardcore fans that aren't pleasant, and they tend to be the ones people point out, but most of them are normal folks that don't get too bent out of shape.

I do think they could have easily done an OT-era land that could be "for everyone." I know there are pros and cons to any decision like that. It doesn't ruffle my feathers. It just would have been my preference. (Sorry kind of talking about two different things here.)

I get what you're saying, but how many people ride Splash Mountain never having heard of Brer Rabbit? Flight of Passage without knowing what a Na'vi is? Madame Leotta or Dr. Seeker? My point is that an attraction can be enjoyable with or without the IP connection. How many people come off of Smugglers Run and love Hondo? He is a great character in Clone Wars and Rebels, so maybe they go check that out. Maybe they don't either, but I think a good attraction is a good attraction.

I almost included Br'er Rabbit in my original post; he's a classic trickster! You didn't immediately know what to expect from Br'er Fox? Or his classic sidekick, Br'er Bear? Plus, Splash Mtn offers a classic game: who is going to get wet.

The Flight of Passage pre-show very clearly explains who the Na'vi are and exactly what an Avatar is.

You had never heard of a haunted mansion before you entered Disney's version?

In a nutshell, I said, "Attraction visitors are emotionally connected to characters they know."

I have not been (going in November). But I find it funny how the same Disney fans that are always complaining about Disney selling out, over saturating their go to IP characters and general money grabbing are now complaining that the new land is not filled with the familiar nostalgic characters. I applaud Disney for at least trying to do something different than just recreating Episode IV. I think if they did that, it would be so ridiculously crowded nobody would be able to go. So, they didn't "sell out". They tried to create something more unique. I am surprised more fans are not happy about it and seem to be wanting more of the "Let it Go!!" mentality that has swept the rest of the resort.

This is a good point to keep in mind. I guess I'd have to say that when they do something new, I'd like to see them go off-IP and really create something new and wonderful.

But when you're already going with an IP, I certainly want to see the things that I love about that IP (when I do care about the IP). As I understand it, the Harry Potter attractions are so well-liked because they recreated the places that are so familiar (I haven't been). I would have had no problem if they'd done that for Star Wars. By contrast, I feel like Flight of Passage is well-liked because it's an awesome, immersive ride. You could probably flop on a different IP or no IP, and it'd still be good.

I could see there being a tinge of hypocrisy in asking for the old tried and true, but I would have been OK with no Star Wars land at all. Still, interesting food for thought.

I guess what it really boils down to is that the attraction(s) needs to be fun and engaging on it's own merits. IP is sometimes a crutch that leads to a less than great product. But that's another discussion altogether.

The list of WDW's permanently closed attractions supports my point:

Alien Encounter
Mission to Mars/Flight to the Moon
If You Had Wings/If You Could Fly
Backlot Tour
Body Wars
Capt Eo
Circle Vision 360
Countdown to Extinction
Cranium Command
Disney's Kim Possible WS Adventure
Dreamflight
El Rio del Tiempo
Food Rocks
Kitchen Kabaret
Honey I Shrunk the Audience
Horizons
Journey into Imagination
Lights, Motors, Action! Stunt Show
Maelstrom
Mike Fink Keel Boats
Mr. Toad
Skyway at MK
Snow White's Scary Adventures
Sounds Dangerous
Swan Boats at MK
Take Flight
Living Seas (Pre-Nemo version)
Ellen's Energy Adventure
Sum of All Thrills
Timekeeper
Up! A Great Bird Adventure
Who Wants to be a Millionaire- Play it!,
Wonders of Life
World of Motion

I almost included Br'er Rabbit in my original post; he's a classic trickster! You didn't immediately know what to expect from Br'er Fox? Or his classic sidekick, Br'er Bear? Plus, Splash Mtn offers a classic game: who is going to get wet.

The Flight of Passage pre-show very clearly explains who the Na'vi are and exactly what an Avatar is.

You had never heard of a haunted mansion before you entered Disney's version?

In a nutshell, I said, "Attraction visitors are emotionally connected to characters they know."
While I do agree they're emotionally connected to the characters they know, that doesn't mean they wouldn't enjoy characters that they aren't aware of. In this case with Hondo, while a lot of people may not know him, I also don't think they really care; meaning, they find the ride just as enjoyable whether they know him or not. Knowing his backstory (which I do), really doesn't change how the ride is. I can't say that knowing him increased my enjoyment of the ride. The ride tells you what you need to know about him to know the ride; that he runs the company performing this smuggling operation, and Chewie is "helping". I get what you're saying, I do, but I really don't think it matters all that much to most people.

Alien Encounter
Backlot Tour
Body Wars
Capt Eo
Circle Vision 360
Countdown to Extinction
Cranium Command
Dreamflight
El Rio del Tiempo
Food Rocks
Kitchen Kabaret
Horizons
Journey into Imagination
Maelstrom
Mike Fink Keel Boats
Mr. Toad
Skyway at MK
Sounds Dangerous
Swan Boats at MK
Take Flight
Ellen's Energy Adventure
Sum of All Thrills
Timekeeper
Wonders of Life
World of Motion
Not to be a contrarian, but what is your point?

A couple of things, Finn is not a character that walks around. Maybe you saw a guest cosplaying?
I agree we need more aliens and droids roaming around
You have a ton of missions all around the land separate from SR on the datapad, also the credits earned CAN be used to buy outfits, ive done it
The taking away of the names is ridiculous but people just can't seem to be bothered with extra reading
Meant to write Kylo Ren and I have no idea why I said Finn (maybe wishful thinking when I was there at 6am but I swear I saw him too). Did they recently add the ability to spend the credits on outfits? I felt like I couldn't find that when we went during the week after opening.

Meant to write Kylo Ren and I have no idea why I said Finn (maybe wishful thinking when I was there at 6am but I swear I saw him too). Did they recently add the ability to spend the credits on outfits? I felt like I couldn't find that when we went during the week after opening.
not sure when they added it but I bought my items about a month ago

Very enlightening conversation! Here's my take on my first visit to SWGE last week:

… I guess I'm a passing Star Wars fan. I've seen all the movies. Grew up on the original trilogy, and owned a bunch of 1970's SW merch when I was a teenage nerd. I don't read the books or watch the animated series or spend any time thinking about the IP after I have left the movie theater, so I had not a clue what Batuu is.
… The theming was amazing! Very immersive, yet I don't give a hoot about role playing and am glad no one asked me to while I was there. I also am not inspired to spend money on any of the high dollar upcharge stuff there. But that's just me.
… I saw lots and lots of droid boxes and a fair number of saber sheaths bobbing around the park on each of the three days I visited DHS.
… Disney is on the right track in at least some regard with SWGE. I met a guy while in a queue in MK who said this was his first ever trip to WDW, and he had come only because SWGE had opened. He raved about how awesome it was to him as a major SW fan. That's new money from new people in Disney's coffers. He said he was already saving up so he could come back when the SW resort opens.
… Maybe Disney can find some way to have immersive events where most/all in the land are hyped up to participate. At the same time, maybe make it a bit more friendly for people who don't care at all about SW (ie. my wife). For example, she enjoyed watching a part of some show in which Chewie was trying to fix a ship while some dude sat on a crate and narrated in a soft voice. That's probably the kind of things passive fans would like more of.
… I didn't do the ride because I'd heard it was basically a jazzed up version of Mission: Space. Didn't seem worth an hour in a queue for that. Plus, it seems to be the Navi River Journey of SWGE. I'll catch both it and RoR when I am there next in January.
… My 19yo son is more of a SW fan than I am, so I am eager to experience SWGE with him in January.

While I do agree they're emotionally connected to the characters they know, that doesn't mean they wouldn't enjoy characters that they aren't aware of. In this case with Hondo, while a lot of people may not know him, I also don't think they really care; meaning, they find the ride just as enjoyable whether they know him or not. Knowing his backstory (which I do), really doesn't change how the ride is. I can't say that knowing him increased my enjoyment of the ride. The ride tells you what you need to know about him to know the ride; that he runs the company performing this smuggling operation, and Chewie is "helping". I get what you're saying, I do, but I really don't think it matters all that much to most people.

This is basic storytelling.

In the case of the MF ride, the Millennium Falcon itself is a well-known character. (or well-known setting?)
Hondo is secondary. He is however, the subject of my first post in this thread, #74.

Simply, Hondo will be more popular, when his character is better developed.

Hondo’s character is developed. I bet he’s got more screen time than some characters that are in just one film, and he’s in a few books.

Alien Encounter
Backlot Tour
Body Wars
Capt Eo
Circle Vision 360
Countdown to Extinction
Cranium Command
Dreamflight
El Rio del Tiempo
Food Rocks
Kitchen Kabaret
Horizons
Journey into Imagination
Maelstrom
Mike Fink Keel Boats
Mr. Toad
Skyway at MK
Sounds Dangerous
Swan Boats at MK
Take Flight
Ellen's Energy Adventure
Sum of All Thrills
Timekeeper
Wonders of Life
World of Motion
You forgot 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. A pox on your cow!

Alien Encounter
Backlot Tour
Body Wars
Capt Eo
Circle Vision 360
Countdown to Extinction
Cranium Command
Dreamflight
El Rio del Tiempo
Food Rocks
Kitchen Kabaret
Horizons
Journey into Imagination
Maelstrom
Mike Fink Keel Boats
Mr. Toad
Skyway at MK
Sounds Dangerous
Swan Boats at MK
Take Flight
Ellen's Energy Adventure
Sum of All Thrills
Timekeeper
Wonders of Life
World of Motion
I’m confused. The backlot tour had IP influences. Mr. Toad still exists in Disneyland. Snow White still has a presence and is the original disney Princess. Up! A Great Bird Adventure never closed it just got a script change.

If I didn’t know Hondo from anything other than the Smugglers Run pre-show, I would think he’s a pirate and a smuggler, and not too trustworthy. So basically you get what the character is about just fine without having to do any homework.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter