Galactic Starcruiser - what is next for this space?

The article from The Wrap that was posted a couple of days ago (and just re-cited here) says that it was "an unusually specific survey." And, as others have pointed, out, Disney provided a very enticing financial incentive to fill out the survey. It appears that this survey was indeed different from the standard ones.
The article from The Wrap was paywalled (for me at least, I don’t know if other people are able to view it in entirety). It’s since been summarized by WDWNT, which I generally don’t read and had been blocked on this site until fairly recently. Anyway, here’s an unrelated discussion from this board where people were talking about being paid for surveys by Disney on other topics.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/i...-destinations-email-regarding-survey.3907629/

Hard to believe it comes back in any kind of major form.

I could imagine the public space being available to be rented out/used for conferences - especially for a conference that maybe involved a special evening reception followed by renting out Disney-MGM Studios for the night.

Perhaps the hotel rooms can be slightly refit to be affordable housing for members of the Disney College program, etc. but the lack of windows is a big problem.

The idea that this was not constructed in a way that would even easily allow for alternate use shows the hubris associated with the entire project in my view.

I also think practically it is unlikely to come back as Iger can point to this project as a clear example why Chapek should have never been allowed to run the company.

I know there are people who are still mad about Galaxy's Edge focusing on the sequel characters, and I imagine that those people turned up their noses at the Galactic Starcruiser as well. But I'm sure I'm not the only Boomer who believes that the prequel and sequel films are just as valid in the Star Wars canon as the movies we saw and loved when they began the whole SW phenomenon. I think Galaxy's Edge is amazing. I had a ball watching a friend go head-to-head with Kylo Ren one day, and it's such a delight to see little girls interacting with Rey.

Bottom line: I don't think the audience for GC was as niche as you portray.

The definition of niche is "denoting products, services, or interests that appeal to a small, specialized section of the population."

What part of that definition doesn't apply to this product?

I wasn't commenting on the validity of the films. I personally like two of the three sequels and their characters, but targeting an economic subgroup that's 1) willing to spend $4000+ on a 2-night experience and 2) wants to participate in a larping experience centered around the sequel trilogy, is by definition very niche.

I could imagine the public space being available to be rented out/used for conferences - especially for a conference that maybe involved a special evening reception followed by renting out Disney-MGM Studios for the night.

The location is pretty terrible. It's backstage. I'm not sure if they want conference attendees wondering around back there. Internal use? Sure.

I also think practically it is unlikely to come back as Iger can point to this project as a clear example why Chapek should have never been allowed to run the company.

It's not a coincidence that it was killed right after the annual executive meeting at Walt Disney World in May. It lasted less than 6 months under Iger.

I don't think the audience for GC was as niche as you portray.
The definition of niche is "denoting products, services, or interests that appeal to a small, specialized section of the population."

What part of that definition doesn't apply to this product?
I was replying to your definition of a niche audience specifically as it related to the GS:

They were chasing a particular economic subgroup that happens to love the sequel trilogy films. How much more niche can you get?

I was merely pointing out that the audience for GS was broader than "happens to love the sequel films." I never said it was a huge audience; I just don't think it was as narrow as you described.

The idea that this was not constructed in a way that would even easily allow for alternate use shows the hubris associated with the entire project in my view.
The vast majority of things that are built at Walt Disney World are not constructed to easily allow for alternate uses.

If you're familiar with the Grey Wolf Lodge chain of hotels this is what I think Disney had originally planned for a Star Wars themed resort because if you have ever stayed at a Grey Wolf Lodge before with your family you'll notice that Grey Wolf Lodges have games activities and character breakfasts with the mascots of Grey Wolf Lodge and storytelling and movies for kids this is where I think Disney got the inspiration for the Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser but took that hotel chain and made a Star Wars resort from that idea. But if you look at it hotel experiences based on shows were popular in the 90's. You might recall the Las Vegas Hilton did a similar thing based on Star Trek that had "voyages" on the Enterprise and you could meet and greet with Star Trek characters and you got a souvenir pin at the end of the "voyage" and it didn't cost as much as the Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser. But what I think will happen is that with Aksoka becoming a hit and The Mandalorian Season 4 beginning in 2025 Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser will reopen and this time will also begin building a Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser in Disneyland in the future. But as you know Lucasfilm and Disney are two companies that when they release hit movies they realize how good the film is enough to begin marketing things like merchandise and themed rides. What could possibly be next? A resort based on Indiana Jones where you can spend the night in a temple and do Indiana Jones themed adventures? But I think Disney was trying to attract the new Star Wars fans and hoped that new fans of Star Wars would like this. But I think had it stayed open and survived Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser could've used improvement and like Jeremy Renner says "A little Rennervation"

If I remember right, there are actually windows in the rooms. They were just hidden behind the screens.
I’m pretty sure there had to be. Individual rooms would need some egress to escape in case of fire or other emergency. Alternative access to an escape route is standard for hotels.
I do remember reading that there was a removable wall panel in each room behind which was an escape “hatch”.

Iger can’t say that— he’s the one who handpicked Chapek for the job.

Shortly before Iger was reinstated he said in an interview that he considered naming Chapek as his successor to be one of his “worst business decisions.”

If I remember right, there are actually windows in the rooms. They were just hidden behind the screens.
I’m pretty sure there had to be. Individual rooms would need some egress to escape in case of fire or other emergency. Alternative access to an escape route is standard for hotels.
I do remember reading that there was a removable wall panel in each room behind which was an escape “hatch”.
Yes, there are windows, and in this photo you can see that there's plenty of room for a fire truck to get in and put up a ladder to reach the them:

https://wdwnt.com/2021/07/photos-ae...ion-for-star-wars-galactic-starcruiser-hotel/

I hate to splash cold water, but if this returns, it will be on a very limited engagement capacity. No way are they building a second location at the tremendously space constricted Disneyland resort.

Given Indiana Jones' recent box office performance, I'd be surprised if Indiana Jones gets anything beyond keeping the attractions they have and a possible Dinosaur re-theme at AK.

If you're familiar with the Grey Wolf Lodge chain of hotels this is what I think Disney had originally planned for a Star Wars themed resort because if you have ever stayed at a Grey Wolf Lodge before with your family you'll notice that Grey Wolf Lodges have games activities and character breakfasts with the mascots of Grey Wolf Lodge and storytelling and movies for kids this is where I think Disney got the inspiration for the Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser but took that hotel chain and made a Star Wars resort from that idea. But if you look at it hotel experiences based on shows were popular in the 90's. You might recall the Las Vegas Hilton did a similar thing based on Star Trek that had "voyages" on the Enterprise and you could meet and greet with Star Trek characters and you got a souvenir pin at the end of the "voyage" and it didn't cost as much as the Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser. But what I think will happen is that with Aksoka becoming a hit and The Mandalorian Season 4 beginning in 2025 Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser will reopen and this time will also begin building a Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser in Disneyland in the future. But as you know Lucasfilm and Disney are two companies that when they release hit movies they realize how good the film is enough to begin marketing things like merchandise and themed rides. What could possibly be next? A resort based on Indiana Jones where you can spend the night in a temple and do Indiana Jones themed adventures? But I think Disney was trying to attract the new Star Wars fans and hoped that new fans of Star Wars would like this. But I think had it stayed open and survived Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser could've used improvement and like Jeremy Renner says "A little Rennervation"
Actually, it was an updated version, thankfully sans humanoid robots, of the sort of vacation featured in Westworld (and we all know how well that turned out.) It was squarely aimed at the wealthiest 1% among SW fans, but it failed to live up to the comfort standards that people who are spending that much tend to expect of resort surroundings.

LARPS are beyond niche, and the more we become attached to our smartphones, the less they can satisfy, because participants will not want to give up their personal phones for the duration of a multi-day LARP, but they cannot fully properly immerse themselves in an alternate reality while they still have the phone's full functionality available. The only way an "outer space" LARP works is by fully blocking out the world around you and not letting you access the real world until the LARP has ended. Letting you walk right out of Batuu and have a cup of Joffreys at the Num-Num-Cookie stand doesn't support that model.

For some years now, there has been an exhibit at the Field Museum called Underground Adventure, a walk-through experience that pretends to shrink visitors down to about 1/4 inches tall, and adjusts the set sizes after that point accordingly, letting you freely explore the world of plant roots and insect habitats, until you enter the "restoration chamber" that purports to take you back to normal size. I remember when it was new and drawing big crowds; visitors loved pretending to be so tiny -- for the 20 minutes or so it took to experience the whole thing, which was a lot closer to the time limit of the typical adult's patience for an immersive game of let's pretend. Now that it's no longer novel, only little kids really still love it, because they don't carry reality around in their pockets all day -- and because it only lasts 20 minutes.

I think I saw a spirit of Halloween store sign on the week before Halloween. ;) it’s gone now since we’re lining up for Thanksgiving.

These rooms kind of remind me of something....

Universal’s new Epic Universe hotels announce names and opening dates​

https://www.clickorlando.com/theme-...e-hotels-announce-names-and-opening-dates/#//

View attachment 815955

This is probably what the Starcruiser should have always been - just a themed hotel room. Their slavish devotion to immersiveness and canon, while impressive, wasn't that appealing. I mean, I LOVE Star Wars, but have you seen the way most people live in that universe? No thanks!

This is probably what the Starcruiser should have always been - just a themed hotel room. Their slavish devotion to immersiveness and canon, while impressive, wasn't that appealing. I mean, I LOVE Star Wars, but have you seen the way most people live in that universe? No thanks!
The role-play was where they went wrong. The problem was that I suspect most of the creative types at Disney are brilliant, high-energy extroverts who love that kind of thing, and assumed that most ordinary people would too. But many like me are on the more introverted side, and while I’m happy to play along for a few minutes on ROTR, keeping that up for a two day “voyage” would just be unthinkable for me. A cool Star Wars themed hotel, without the role-play, with a huge themed pool where you climb up to a model Death Star at the top of the slide would have been great.

The role-play was where they went wrong. The problem was that I suspect most of the creative types at Disney are brilliant, high-energy extroverts who love that kind of thing, and assumed that most ordinary people would too. But many like me are on the more introverted side, and while I’m happy to play along for a few minutes on ROTR, keeping that up for a two day “voyage” would just be unthinkable for me. A cool Star Wars themed hotel, without the role-play, with a huge themed pool where you climb up to a model Death Star at the top of the slide would have been great.
I've thought since the beginning that GS would work really well as a themed, actual cruise. You could check the itinerary for the day and participate in what you want or just lounge by the pool if that's your thing. They could even theme the shore excursions. But the land-based "cruise"? That just felt like you were trapped there and at a ridiculous price-point to boot, while your Disney park days just wasted away.

Yes, my whole family loves Star Wars but we're a bunch of introverts. Role playing for 2 days would be awful. We would 100% go to a Star Wars themed hotel if it was priced at deluxe prices though and I'm not sure why they didn't go that direction from the beginning.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter