GAC Useless in Somecases!!!!

CF, I think the answer is that you don't go to his office, he comes down to the main floor and meets you there.

Maybe? :confused3

My only frame of reference is a previous situation at my workplace, which is a college. The solution was to meet with the student elsewhere, until such time as the offices were eventually moved to an ADA-accessible location. It wasn't claustrophobia though, it was a very large power wheelchair. But that's what they did for a work-around.

While the ADA laws are in place for a reason, I think also you gotta remember a little common sense. For example, let's say Space Mountain. We're not going on it, because of the seating, I would not be able to keep a hand on DS. Rides where we can sit 2-across, no biggie. But I wouldn't put him on something where he's "by himself" because I don't trust him. This is the same kid who bails out when the merry-go-round at the park is still going-round. :eek: I suppose I could put this as a symptom of autism (because many kids with autism don't have a good sense of danger) and get cranky because he won't be able to ride SM and throw a fit over the seating. But I'm sure he & I will have a lovely time on the TTA while my DH and other DS ride. He doesn't like loud noises, but I can't require Disney to turn down the volume. Apparantly I can't even require Disney to give us some ear plugs. Best-case scenario is Disney can't stop me from bringing ear plugs into the park.

There are rides with strobe lights, yes?, if not at Disney then certainly at other theme parks. And the ride isn't going to change for your arrival. And if you have a problem with strobe lights, you oughta find out which rides have them, and you probably shouldn't go on them.

Unfortunately, there are such a wide array of disabilities, which require such a wide array of accomodations, that to successfully accomodate each and every one of them, in a theme park situation, gosh it seems like that would be near impossible to do!

As stated earlier, my comments were not based on this case since it is not really an ADA situation, just the policy in general.

My thoughts were of technical compliance.

I too, for the most part give Disney a pass even if their technical compliance is lacking. On the whole they do a good job

Bookwormde

Yes I agree Disney has decided to discriminate between classes of disabilities an as such has not made certain accommodation available to certain groups.

Huh? PLEASE explain this to me. I have a hard time with the idea that someone sat down and made a conscious decision to discriminate.

Yes I agree Disney has decided to discriminate between classes of disabilities an as such has not made certain accommodation available to certain groups. It’s there I black an white in the statute let alone the administrative rulings. That is a clear violation of ADA

As to the specific scenario, claustrophobia is would not qualify under ADA. If it is an employee (title I) who is disabled then the employer must make reasonable accommodations (making the work are readily accessible or restructuring the job or work environment etc). There are exemptions for “undue hardships” in accommodating an individual.

I will not type it out here but title III section 303 is very clear in what the commercial venture must do.

bookwormde
But Disney really doesn't discriminate, it is just that the accommodation may not be the one you would want.
An example: we have 2 teachers that happen to be deaf. The school provides a tty in one area of the school but not in each classroom. If the teachers want one in their classroom they must provide themselves. They prefer not to, but instead use text messaging and AIM to contact the office. Did the school provide with cell phones for that. Of course not. The tty is available for them and the deaf students to make calls so they are accommodated but they do have to go to the tty. BTW I also tty or videophone at home myself and prefer to use my cell for texting rather than walk over to the classroom area that houses the tty. It is available for me to use though.
The accommodation was available and your wife choose not to use it.

Last try.

The issue is that Disney discriminates between different classes of disabilities when assigning people to only one possible accommodation when there are 2 accommodations that already exist and would work for some people in the disability class

No sense in beating a dead horse further, you either get it or you don’t

bookworm

No one is beating any horse's. I think I'm in the same boat as everyone else. No one "assigned" the OP an accommodation, they simply decided against using the accommodation available that was available. Talking hands example is a good one. It is simply not feasible to offer an infinite variety of accommodation.

OP: To your wife from me :hug: .

The first time I had to use a wheelchair at Disney I literally BAWLED as my husband put me into one. I was afraid people would stare at this seemingly "healthy" person and think "scammer". Didn't bother to think that the way I was crying they were all looking anyway :) The second day was easier. When I got the ECV I was JOYOUS!!!!!!! The ecv gave me such freedom. I didn't have to worry about being in a store at Downtown Disney doing mega shopping or standing in line and suddenly needing support to walk to a sit. I could do things on my own!!! My son made a comment to me, on my second trip using an ecv--"Mom--this trip is great--our best trip yet!! I don't have to see you in pain and I can see you enjoying yourself". My FAMILY felt better with me in an ecv, everyone enjoyed the trip more and it only takes one or two days in the ecv to get used to it and realize what a blessing it is. Next time: have your wife get an ecv (I prefer the offsite ones as the Disney ones are 4 wheelers and harder to manage). She will NEVER regret it!!!!!

I'm going to try to make this my final post about this. I didn't realize when I started this it would cause such an upheavil. I was only trying to help others that had posted questions about use of the GAC, and I felt my story would be too long to add as a reply. Again I am going to state that we were not using the GAC as a way to get ahead of a line, or specialized treatment. It was mentioned in different things I read both online and in the Open Mouse book that was mentioned in a previous response. I thought I was doing the best I could for my wife on her first trip away since being diagnosied. Would I have knew you would have all used this as a soapbox for your feelings on Disney's treatment of those with disabilities I would have never even of posted our story. My wife has done the best she could since being diagnosed and adjusting to her new way of life, and I thought the GAC would be the easiest, instead of using a wheelchair/ecv away from home. I felt that would be something she would be more comfortable with being at home the first time. However for the most part, some of you have used this board as a way to question her nonuse of those things. I am sure for most of you it was a hard decision to come to the first time you used one of those devices. My wife wasn't comfortable with her first time with one of those devices being at a crowded park. I gave her some much credit for handling herslef the way she did, and I have told her numerous times since how proud of her I was. Again please do not take any of this as an insult to those of you that have chosen to use those devices, and maybe someday my wife will feel the need, but why must she be forced into something that she feels she is not ready for.

I would have been more satisfied if the GAC wasn't available, then we would not have to worry. By offering the GAC Disney is saying, at least to me, that a wheelchair/ecv is not neccessarly needed, in fact a cast member at guest relations told my wife that with the GAC she didn't need the use of the one of the devices. So by one of the Disney's own employee own admission the GAC is for those guests that don't want to use one of the devices. So guess we shouldn't have listened to that castmember?

Again if I have offended anyone I apoligize, I only was thinking of those that were under the impression that the GAC doesn't have it's problems it does, but like anything there are problems with just about everything. Just want to add one other thing, on a number of occassions my wife and I noticed quite a few in wheelchairs in the regular que for a few different rides, why is that?

For the few of you with kind words I want to thank you very much, my wife and I appreciate it.

I would have been more satisfied if the GAC wasn't available, then we would not have to worry. By offering the GAC Disney is saying, at least to me, that a wheelchair/ecv is not neccessarly needed, in fact a cast member at guest relations told my wife that with the GAC she didn't need the use of the one of the devices. So by one of the Disney's own employee own admission the GAC is for those guests that don't want to use one of the devices. So guess we shouldn't have listened to that castmember?

Again if I have offended anyone I apoligize, I only was thinking of those that were under the impression that the GAC doesn't have it's problems it does, but like anything there are problems with just about everything. Just want to add one other thing, on a number of occassions my wife and I noticed quite a few in wheelchairs in the regular que for a few different rides, why is that?

Yeah, sounds like you had a confused CM. Like they thought it's sort of a "one or the other" kind of thing. If you have an ecv you don't need a GAC. But I don't think it would necessary be that having a GAC you wouldn't need an ecv. But I could see how a CM who is maybe new or just not really up on things would think that it went both ways.

The other thing is, of course, that the CM who told you that didn't know what your plans were for the day, your route or what attractions you were going on, and what other CM's would be working at each of them. Apparantly it isn't that unusual for CM's to have different interpretations of the GAC, and that's CM's all working the same ride-- much less one at the front of the park vs manning a random ride elsewhere.

Your other question- some of the rides (esp. at Epcot and AK) there isn't a "wheelchair line", since the parks are newer, the regular lines are accessible. No different than a wheelchair being able to use any one of the check-out lanes at Wal-Mart, if that makes any sense. Wheelchair users are just like regular guests. Which is sort of the point, isn't it? ;)

Just want to add one other thing, on a number of occassions my wife and I noticed quite a few in wheelchairs in the regular que for a few different rides, why is that?

That is because those lines are mainstreamed, and a person in a wheelchair can wait in the lines with everyone else. if, for example, your wife had chosen to use a wheelchair (just as an example, not making judgements!) you would have waiting in the regular line with the rest of the guests. having a wheelchair does not always mean a special entrance. in fact, in most places, it means you wait in the normal line

ETA: i just realized why you may have been caught off guard by some people's reactions to a GAC vs wheelchair... if you did not realize why a wheelchair was in the mainstream queue, you may not have realized why some of us object to the GAC being used to bypass lines (even sometimes) when a wheelchair can be used... if you thought wheelchairs did not use the normal lines either, i can see where your confusion came in!

I've never felt that I was a victim of discrimination at WDW until the time I was told that I could no longer have a certain GAC because I wasn't a child and wasn't on a Wish trip, then finding out that this GAC is given to children, at times, who are not on Wish trips but need the same accommodation that I do. I'm sorry...yes, Disney brings to mind families and children but adults also are there to have their wishes come true and often HAVE children with them who then will have their trip shortened, ruined, etc. because their parent cannot do what other's do due to their disability or equipment needs. For me, we live locally and it's not a big deal to only be able to spend a few hours a day in a park, but for other adults it may be their wish too or even their last wish, to spend time with their children while battling a terminal illness or being so medically fragile that they can't experience the parks without that same consideration that's given to a child with the same needs. I was belittled, berated, and chastised for having the old GAC and asking to have it renewed-a GAC which I hadn't asked for to start with but was given to me once someone realized my situation and limitations. Since most attractions aren't accessible to me to start with ( can't transfer, have SD ) and since the GAC is limited to be used by the holder only ( I could not to go through queue lines using my GAC with my family if wasn't riding )then it was rarely used to start with. It was just the idea that as an adult, I wasn't treated with the same courtesy, care, and consideration as a child and it still hurts today to have been "stung" by such a cruel CM.---Kathy

I also wanted to mention as we've all been discussing using a w/c for stamina...the OP already said that he and his wife didn't really understand what a GAC is for and had different expectations that weren't met. Yes, his wife should have used a w/c for stamina issues but due to what they had read, they thought differently. Having to face the reality of your newly diagnosed disability while on vacation with your husband would be a really harsh experience. Then to feel as though no one cared was another slap in the face. Instead of thinking what they "should have done", we should all be in their shoes and realize the disappointment they felt.---Kathy

Wow Kathy, you don't say? Really, just because you were an adult? Ouch, that was a big mishap. :( Did you follow up on it with a manager or something?

About your second post. You've got a point. It's terrible that OP and his wife were misinformed and I really wished for them to have found the DIS before the trip. However, once being misinformed it's a hard blow to find out the way they did their info about the GAC wasn't a 100% correct. Especially they way they found out.

Nope- I didn't say anything to a manager. I was too busy crying over how hurt and humiliated I was with this CM and was too embarrassed to pursue anything. I did ask her to check with a manager, who never came out, but she returned and told me that as an adult, I should NOT have that GAC, could NEVER have that GAC again, how DARE I have had that GAC, and that whoever gave it to me could be fired. Of course I had no idea who gave it to me and I'd never asked for it in the first place, nor was it abused. I have compassion for anyone who has a less than stellar experience regarding their disability and accommodations made, esp. at WDW. It's hard enough in daily life to deal with those issues but to come to the "happiest place on earth" and be so sorely disappointed is just a crushing blow. I can imagine how the OP and his wife felt and I also can imagine how this hurt will stay with them for a long time. I've never forgotten the above incident I described and it stays on my memory as an indelible hurt. No matter what happens to the OP and his wife in the future if they do come back to WDW, this is what they'll remember for the rest of their lives. Disney is about making memories and they shouldn't be hurtful ones. A little kindness goes a long way.---Kathy

Kathy, I'm really speachless. How harsh that was, and the way she kept repeating it in those words. I guess that's the biggest problem with these things. The way they communicate it. In your case and when TO and his wife found out, that was uncalled for. Mistakes can happen even at Disney (just like we can make mistakes, we're all just human), but these types of behaviour is never needed.

If you happen to have a name, maybe think about letting management know now? Even without a name, really. It's still something they can learn from and re-educate the CM's. It's not like it's something that probably would never happen to others again. A CM working at GS, dealing with GAC's and not knowing adults sometimes need them to, gosh.....

Kathy,

Was the GAC you had a front of the line GAC? If so, the CM was correct that these are reserved for Make A Wish kids only and you had received it by mistake. That being said, there was certainly no excuse for treating you badly. If a mistake was made in giving you the wrong type of GAC, it was theirs, not yours.

Wendy thank you for the kind words, along with what you've said I also didn't want anyont else to have to go through what we did, and in thinking that the GAC was the solutions to one's problems with they're disablities.

I also want to add, that it was funny reading Kathy's post about the manager never coming out to speak to her and the CM relayed the message. When we went to Guest Relations we too were told that the CM had to speak to her manager, we too never saw this "manager", kind of funny huh?

I also wanted to take a mintue to add that with all the problems we had with using the GAC, one of the greatest experinces we had was in using it. When we used it Indy Speedway, the CM out front went out of his way to make my wife feel normal, I know after all the complaining I did previously that sounds kind of strange. He walked us personally through the alternate entrance, and passed us off to the second CM with the utmost respect, and treated us as I felt the CAC was suppose to be used. So for that, that CM needs to be commended. This CM was the definition of what a true CM is!!!

OP: To your wife from me :hug: .

The first time I had to use a wheelchair at Disney I literally BAWLED as my husband put me into one. I was afraid people would stare at this seemingly "healthy" person and think "scammer". Didn't bother to think that the way I was crying they were all looking anyway :) The second day was easier. When I got the ECV I was JOYOUS!!!!!!! The ecv gave me such freedom. I didn't have to worry about being in a store at Downtown Disney doing mega shopping or standing in line and suddenly needing support to walk to a sit. I could do things on my own!!! My son made a comment to me, on my second trip using an ecv--"Mom--this trip is great--our best trip yet!! I don't have to see you in pain and I can see you enjoying yourself". My FAMILY felt better with me in an ecv, everyone enjoyed the trip more and it only takes one or two days in the ecv to get used to it and realize what a blessing it is. Next time: have your wife get an ecv (I prefer the offsite ones as the Disney ones are 4 wheelers and harder to manage). She will NEVER regret it!!!!!

THis is exactly what I was going to say! I tried to walk Disney but my body wouldn't let me and if I tried to push it then I'd have to stay at the hotel and recuperate for a day or two. My family would miss out on so much because of me. I tried a wheelchair, but with the wheelchair, I had to wait for my family to push me around because my arms are too weak. I was miserable. Then I decided to try an ecv and I at least had freedom to move around and follow my children which gave me back a sense of being able to watch over them.

And I did cry like a baby the first time I had to use an ecv and get on a ride. They stopped the ride for me and I was mortified. I too have an "invisible" disease that will keep progressing. I am glad that I made the decision to go ahead and use the help a wheelchair/ecv provided. I am able to be there with my family and I now have the stamina to last for the whole trip like I used to.

Please give your wife a hug from me :hug: and tell her that I can appreciate how hard it is to be active one day and then have your abilities snatched from you. I walked for as long as I could but I ended up making it difficult for my family who had to witness the pain I was in. Not to mention the time in the parks they missed because of me when I was worn out. Once I got over the feeling like I was giving up a part of me and started to use the ecv, I was able to enjoy everything again. Now I like going to Disney with my kids and I am making tons of memories to cherish. God bless you both!

While I don't want to hijack this thread with my own issue ( which I was trying to share with the OP and others as an example of a problem with the GAC and being emotionally hurt at Disney)...the GAC I had with me was the same one that had been renewed three/four times in the past with no problem. It is the same type that has continued to be given to children, albeit in rare instances, who are not on a wish trip but who have needs similar to mine or other particular needs that can't be met with another type of GAC in accordance with the ADA. The fact that it is ONLY given to children outside of MAW children and never, ever given to adults, to me, is discriminatory. There are several adults I know who also visited WDW, were medically frail with delicate life-support equipment who could have used this type of GAC but merely because they are adults they couldn't have one. Parents who have stood up for their children's needs have gotten one. No one should ever say to a guest that they aren't entitled to the "magic" of an accommodation at the parks just because they are not a child. Magic is supposed to be for everyone, regardless of age. The ADA is for everyone, regardless of age. Kindness and consideration should be also given to everyone- regardless of age. I still love Disney and would recommend a Disney vacation to anyone, esp those who are disabled as I feel they do have the best accessibility of any theme park, including the wonderful resorts. It's just that this policy excluding adults, IMO, isn't right and the way my own incident was handled wasn't the best. The OP's situation wasn't handled well either and set up false expectations. I'm glad one CM made a difference to them which just goes to show you, as I mentioned before, a little kindness goes a long way.---Kathy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter