Gabby Petito

RIP Gabby. Just knew this wasn't good from the beginning. Glad she isn't missing forever like so many others without any closure for her parents and family. I'll hold my comments due to not knowing the cause of death. I will say in regards to her boyfriend missing, his family should not be held responsible. He's a grown man at 23 years old and parents in genreal aren't keeping tabs on their adult children 24/7.

He lived with them, he returned to their home (that Gabby also lived in) without his fiance. Her parents, the police and pretty much the country was looking for her.
They let him hide out there and then let him "go missing" for 4 days before letting the police know.
They are reprehensible.

RIP Gabby. Just knew this wasn't good from the beginning. Glad she isn't missing forever like so many others without any closure for her parents and family. I'll hold my comments due to not knowing the cause of death. I will say in regards to her boyfriend missing, his family should not be held responsible. He's a grown man at 23 years old and parents in genreal aren't keeping tabs on their adult children 24/7.
I'm confident LE will get to the bottom of who was involved. That may be one or more individuals. It's way too early to include or exclude people at this point.

If my child came home and I heard all over the news that their partner was missing, I would absolutely keep tabs on where my child was at all times. 23 is not that old.

I'm confident LE will get to the bottom of who was involved. That may be one or more individuals. It's way too early to include or exclude people at this point.

Agreed.

He lived with them, he returned to their home (that Gabby also lived in) without his fiance. Her parents, the police and pretty much the country was looking for her.
They let him hide out there and then let him "go missing" for 4 days before letting the police know.
They are reprehensible.

Again he's an adult. LE will get to the bottom of it if his parents/family were an accessory before or after the fact. After the age of 18, it's roommate style living. Like I said before reminds me of Casey/Caylee Anthony case where the public also went after her parents especially her dad George. We need to wait, until all the facts are out there. Which probably won't be for awhile considering it's all a very active investigation.

Agreed.

Again he's an adult. LE will get to the bottom of it if his parents/family were an accessory before or after the fact. After the age of 18, it's roommate style living. Like I said before reminds me of Casey/Caylee Anthony case where the public also went after her parents especially her dad George. We need to wait, until all the facts are out there. Which probably won't be for awhile considering it's all a very active investigation.

I never said I think they are responsible for her death, or an accessory to it so I'm not sure what I need to wait for.
What I said in my previous post is all true.

Regardless of what demons she may have had, her life is lost. There are parents grieving the loss of their daughter. And I hope we can all be empathetic at this moment to honor that. I am glad they have this closure, but they still don't have any answers and that has to be extremely difficult.

I hope LE is able to give the family those answers.

And I'll echo the request to please keep politics of out this. It doesn't matter what leanings we've witnessed outside of this forum.

I will say in regards to her boyfriend missing, his family should not be held responsible.
I don't think people were saying they were responsible but if they didn't disclose where he was at or covered for him that can be a criminal matter. Him being an adult has nothing to do with that part of the situation in fact they are adults as well and should be held responsible for their actions should it be considered a criminal offense.

Let's also remember that there is still no evidence that a crime was committed (that has been made publicly known). At this point it is still possible that she wandered off and got lost or harmed herself.

The FBI has stated that they do not know the cause of death yet, which seems like an important point. I imagine if it was a clear cut case of homicide, they would have said it is now a homicide investigation. To my knowledge, no one but the talking heads on cable news are calling it that right now.

I'm not defending Brian here, to be clear, but let's also just be cognizant of the fact that we don't have enough information yet to point the finger at him.

*In my opinion, the most likely scenario is that he suffered a mental break/psychotic episode and did something that he nowhas no memory of. If he is found and arrested, he will likely plead insanity and that will be how it goes. He has not behaved in a way that fits the profile for an abusive boyfriend who then murders his girlfriend. Numerous experts have said his behavior is very baffling and unexplainable, but is not consistent with this type of crime.

Last edited:
The FBI has stated that they do not know the cause of death yet, which seems like an important point. I imagine if it was a clear cut case of homicide, they would have said it is now a homicide investigation. To my knowledge, no one but the talking heads on cable news are calling it that right now.
And the talking heads are doing nothing but trying to fill time until the next commercial.

There are a lot of things to learn before authorities can begin to solve this puzzle.

The first thing is to process the current crime scene -- which is where the body was found. They only have one opportunity to gather whatever evidence may be there, so they need to take their time and do a meticulous job. No do-overs for this part of the investigation, and the physical evidence gathered there may be key.

Keep in mind that this may not be the only crime scene -- but it's the one they have now.

The next step is to identify the body. The FBI obviously is convinced that it's Gabby's body, but that needs to be indisputably confirmed before they can go forward. That could happen relatively quickly through fingerprints or DNA, or it could take longer. My guess is that DNA identification will be confirmed within 48 hours.

The next step is to establish the cause and manner of death. Sometimes that is obvious; other times it can take weeks to determine if toxicology results are needed. This determination is made by the forensic pathologists, in this case the Teton County Coroner.

The manner and cause of death will tell them whether this is a natural death or homicide. Keep in mind that "homicide" does NOT mean murder -- it just means death by causes other than natural death. It could be murder, manslaughter, accidental death, suicide, etc.

No matter how things look to we Sherlocks on the Internet, there is no crime until the Coroner says a crime was committed.

The coming days are going to be so hard for her parents and loved ones. I'm thinking of them, and the community that is caring and comforting them.
My prayers are with them all.

The fact they haven’t stated a cause of death means almost nothing when you consider that the body has been out in the elements for possibly 20+ days. Unless it was a gunshot (which I don’t think anyone would expect) they wouldn’t be able to say anything definitively without an autopsy.

I think the boyfriend is guilty as guilty can be. Was it premeditated? Highly doubtful. Might have even been accidental. However, you don’t come home from a trip without your fiancé and then say NOTHING unless you have something to hide. I don’t buy the psychological break angle. This isn’t a movie or a novel, and such things don’t just happen out of the blue.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter