• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

FYI -- National Out as Official Car of WDW

In tomorrow's Chicago Tribune there's an ad for Alamo with a picture of a WDW gate....Alamo...Official Rental Car of the American Vacation (whatever that is) and WDW resort. It offers a compact for a week for $130 with one free child's character breakfast.

I also thought that Alamo was at MCO rather than off-site. Does anyone know for certain?

Pam,

Thanks for the info about National and VISA, a bad news, good news scenario IMHO. I generally have used National with either the DC discount or Emerald Isle and have been able to get pretty good rates at the MCO. There's always the AAA discount! :)

Bad news indeed that Alamo is off-site. One of the things we loved about National was its convenience at MCO. We rented off-site once and swore never to do it again. Thanks for the answer, though.

Pam, thanks for the news. I just got back and noticed that the parking area across from where the race track is (it used to be the landing strip for Disney's plane) was full of cars. I saw a Avis sign sitting next to a small tent that was at one end. It looked like several hundred cars in that area. I wonder if those were brought in for the change. I rented at L&M this time at MCO and the price was half of any at the airport. $156 for 5 days, and that includes taxes. They are located next to Avis at the airport.

Bad news indeed that Alamo is off-site. One of the things we loved about National was its convenience at MCO. We rented off-site once and swore never to do it again. Thanks for the answer, though.

You can still use National, they are not going away and there is no rule that says you have to use the official car of WDW. ;)

I rented at L&M this time at MCO and the price was half of any at the airport. $156 for 5 days, and that includes taxes. They are located next to Avis at the airport.

I used Priceline, Avis accepted my bid. Got a wonderful full size car for 162. and change including all taxes for a week. This was for the week of 9/13-9/20.

I've heard so many bad stories about Alamo I'm not sure I'd use them if the car were free. Being the "official rental car of WDW" won't get them my business.

erik,
I had heard the stories also, but, one time I found a rate I simply could not pass up and tried them. The experience was just fine and, as I have said before, I have only had one bad experience with them and that was promptly taken care of.
Frankly, I like on site, but, I will go where the price is best.

Have to tell this story. Talk about having a bad day. It was related to me by someone who travels alot. The rental company was not Alamo. He was in line to pick up a car and the person 3 ahead of him went out to get his car and leave. While he was filling out his paperwork, that person returns and asks if they had anyone available to reattach an item to the the car while laying the steering wheel onto the counter. It came off while shifting into gear.

Sorry, just couldn't resist telling it.

My experience with Alamo was Awful! It was a pain in the neck to take the shuttle offsite and then the lines to wait for a car were the worst for my whole trip. The agent couldn't find my name in the computerand after finally finding our reservation we were given a dirty car much smaller then I thought we'd have. We ended up renting for one extra day and I think we were charged like 100.00 extra. Worst experience I ever had renting a car.

I detest most of my credit cards, I use them and then I receive bills in the mail that I am expected to pay.

We really do not care whether something is the official whatever of WDW. Renting off-site in Orlando is just not convenient. As long as we can skip the counter with Avis and National and their prices are competive then, Avis and National it is.

I did not book on-line, called them personally. I have a confirmation number, but no print-out with price--will I still get the same quote???. We don't go till end of Jan. But no proof of amount either. Just a thought. Thanks

I did not book on-line, called them personally. I have a confirmation number, but no print-out with price--will I still get the same quote???. We don't go till end of Jan. But no proof of amount either. Just a thought. Thanks

I would call and see if they can email you or fax you the quote. One thing about National, actually all of them, I like to have it in black and white so that there are no questions!

ohhhh good idea, I will do that today, otherwise no proof of anything. Thanks for good advice. 1st time renting a car. :)

You can go to www.nationalcar.com and view your reservation and then print. All you need is your last name and res. #. They will not email confirmation - only fax if you call the 800 #.

(I was is the same sit. and just tried to get them to email it to me.)

Alamo and National are sharing counters in most airports in Florida now. Not sure if this is the case with MCO as both the MCO site and Almo site list it off airport. When the parent company went into bankruptcy, this was one of the moves under the reorganization. The other rental car companies brought suit in the State of Florida but lost so Alamo and National have been able to remain sharing counter space in the airports in which it had enacted this policy. Also, for rental cars to be located in Airport, the companies must go through a bidding process. In the past, Alamo did not participate in these bids, it will be interesting to see what changes are made, in particular at MCO, when the next round of bidding comes up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter