• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

FYI -- National Out as Official Car of WDW

PamOKW

<font color=green>The two most important items for
DVC has always had very good rates with National and I have had no complaints with the service. I just read an article that Disney has cut a deal with Alamo and is naming them the official car of Disneyland and WDW as well as buying fleet cars from them as well. I don't think Alamo is even located at the airport. :(

Hopefully, DVC will still have some good rates to offer with National.

So THAT explains why I couldn't get a discount with my Disney Club card when I tried to book National for January!

What a bummer....but unless the rates are substantially lower with Alamo, I personally would rather get a car on airport property.

Thanks for the update!

American Express is out as the official card of WDW....soon to be VISA.

Pam, Thanks for the update,I prefer National also(Emarald Aisle members). I agree with Anniet, I rather have the car rental on- site at the airport.Even if it is a few dollars more.

I was playing with codes the other night for our December trip. The Emerald Club contract code (5007125) gives the same base rate as the Disney Club old code. The new Disney Club code is much higher. I only paid $115 for a week last December, this year I booked it at $173 in May, it's around $190 now. Usually early December is cheap, I think I only paid $107 the year before. Dollar is even higher. I've noticed National's service has gone down - in May the cars were dirty and I couldn't find a low mileage car on the aisle (one time I got a Camry with 200 miles on it).

National and Alamo have been owned by the same corporation for awhile now. Someone posted on the Transportation board that they are making Alamo the brand for leisure travelers and National the brand for business travelers....with National raising their prices.

If you are a Costco member, the Costco/Avis rates have been the best I have been able to find.

Thanks

That explains it! I've been trying for a few weeks now to get a good rate with National/emerald aisle...using our disney club card..and the rates have been horrible for early december. Almost twice what we paid for 12 days last december and we're only staying 9 days tihis year! Thanks for the tip on avis..I'll check them out. It was great heading right to the emerald aisle after getting our luggage, but the waits at the car counters aren't very long (at least in the off season when we travel) ... so, we I guess we'll go that route again if it saves us some $$'s.

I have to say the reasons for keeping up our disney club membership are shrinking by the minute these days!

If a reservation is already made with the Disney Club discount before all this happened, does anyone have an idea if National will honor that quote still? I found a decent rate and made reservations with National with the DC code....any thoughts????

WooHoo!!!

I just went to the National website to check code 5007125 and found out that the NHOL rate code was extended to Feb. so I knocked down my 3 day car rental for December by about $25.00.

Thanks so much!!

Will National still have places on site? At the Swan/Dolphin? at the car care center?

The fact that Visa will be replacing Amex probably had a lot to do with the fact that Disney will be coming out with their own Visa soom. I wondered about how they would have another card be their "official" card when they sponsored their own. I am really interested to hear what the perks will be on their Disney card. Can't wait to start racking up those points!

Jan

Even though I don't have an AMEX I suspect that Visa won't give you as good a deal as AMEX did. There are just so many more Visa members.

I LOVE my amx card but will drop it in a heartbeat for a Disney Visa. :)

Interesting about National/Alamo -- is there any way for Alamo to move their cars/rental counter to MCO? With the increased popularity they're sure to enjoy from Disney's endorsement, it surely can't be about money....

Will National still be at the Dolphin? We've got a one day rental there next week and need to pick it up on site.

When did Alamo move out of the airport? I rented from Budget last summer, and I could have sworn that they were in the airport at that time, as were L & M, and National. I think tere were 5 car rental places with desks inside the airport. I also thought their cars were in the building right across the street, right next to Budget. I won't swear to it though...

I think the new deal with Alamo starts next year, not immediately. I think that if you have paperwork/e-mail confirmations you should be fine with any ressie you already have.

If you are renting fromthe Car Car Center in 2003, though, I think I'd call them and ask who they are going with for your dates.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter