Future of west coast runDisney

Here's my issue with the construction theory. It hasn't stopped the races before. Star Wars Land has been under construction for what two three years now? And the Big Thunder Trail has been closed again and open again (part of the route at times) during the past 3 years. So it's not like they haven't successfully rerouted with the construction before. So why would it suddenly become a race cancelling nuisance?

I've been doing DL for seven years. I've seen a lot change in the course. If they had to cancel because of construction the DL races would have been done a long time ago.
They also have the eastern gateway issue, Pixar pier, and the marvel expansion in the works.

I'm very interested in the Vacation Race Series as well.

There's a possibility that it may just be the ones in the first half of the year since they still have plenty of time to plan for the ones later in the year if they manage to work out the issues.
I also think the Vacation series races sound awesome. I'd love to do one of those one day.

I'm holding out hope that they'll make something work out with Disneyland. Who knows what effects the loss of the West Coast races would have on the demand for Florida races.

Finally an announcement - on hiatus beginning in 2018:

https://www.rundisney.com/blog/articles/run-disney/

We have heard from many of you over the past few months regarding registration for runDisney race weekends at Disneyland Resort. We greatly appreciate your loyalty and dedication to our runDisney race events and want to share the following update with you.

Given the level of construction to support the ongoing Disneyland Resort expansion, we have been working hard to determine how we can continue providing our West Coast participants with the best possible runDisney experience, which is designed around the ability to run throughout our resorts while enjoying entertainment offerings and characters.

After careful consideration and weighing all possibilities, we have made the very difficult decision to place all runDisney race weekends at Disneyland Resort on hiatus beginning in 2018. This includes the associated Coast to Coast Race Challenges.

Anyone who has registered for one of these races will be contacted directly by runDisney today by email and will receive a full refund for registration fees and for any commemorative items they may have purchased.

While news of this hiatus is sad to share, we are so thankful for the magic and memories you have helped create at our race weekends through the years. We look forward to hosting the upcoming Super Heroes Half Marathon Weekend at Disneyland Resort November 9-12, and we hope to see many of you there.

We encourage runners to continue to visit runDisney.com for other race opportunities. A full schedule of races at Walt Disney World Resort and Disneyland Paris are currently still being offered, in addition to our virtual race series. Guests with questions can contact rundisney@disneysports.com.

Last edited:
I'm so upset. I live in CA and its very hard to save up the amount of money to get to florida for races. Running in Disneyland is the reason I became a runner I fell in love with running the moment I crossed my first ever finish line. It was at the Disneyland half marathon weekend 5k in 2016. I am so sad.

I'm so happy that people are getting full refunds to their original forms of payment, but I'm really, really sorry for everyone who was planning on doing a 2018 event at Disneyland. :(

And I feel really, really sorry for the CMs that have to deal with the complaints...but I can't believe that runDisney waited so long to make this announcement.

So sad about this. My first rundisney race was at Disneyland. Hope they will return someday. Very glad I'll be at Avengers weekend in November.

I'm so happy that people are getting full refunds to their original forms of payment, but I'm really, really sorry for everyone who was planning on doing a 2018 event at Disneyland. :(

And I feel really, really sorry for the CMs that have to deal with the complaints...but I can't believe that runDisney waited so long to make this announcement.

I know they said they would refund but that doesn't help the people who signed up strictly for C2C. Are they going to refund that too if people ask? I wasn't signed up for either, just wondering.

So sorry for those of you with firm plans to do a race in 2018. I guess just their overall lack of space in the parks just makes it too difficult to manage with construction. It stinks though.

Bummer for us west coasters. I was really hoping for at least one - like the Disneyland Half weekend.

I'm super disappointed. Avengers was my first half marathon. Makes me very glad I did Castle to Chateau this year. I'm local to Orange County and a trip to WDW isn't affordable for me. Really lousy for RD to wait this long when you know people are signing up just for C2C/Kessel Run.

So what west coast races are people doing instead? Personally, I'm planning Santa Rosa (if it's not cancelled due to fire damage) - I want the Snoopy medals! And probably RnR Vegas, since I've always skipped that in favor of Avengers.

What is even more terrible is that half of the races for WDW are already sold out... (Marathon Weekend, Princess, some of Dark Side)...us west coasters have limited chances and time to plan now to fly across the country if we want to get a Disney race in.

I wonder if they’ll do some sort of challenge if you do multiple weekends at WDW? Seems like that could be something to make up for C2C for the time being. I was hoping to go C2C in 2018 but of course that’s not happening.

What is even more terrible is that half of the races for WDW are already sold out... (Marathon Weekend, Princess, some of Dark Side)...us west coasters have limited chances and time to plan now to fly across the country if we want to get a Disney race in.

Looking at flight costs, I see that LAX to MCO for Dark Side would be $300-$400. This year I was able to go to Disneyland Paris for the half marathon for $500 round trip, and I see right now you could fly (on Wow) for about $400 next September. Just saying, if it's something you're interested in, flights to Europe aren't always as expensive as people think. I thought Paris put on a great race.

I wonder if they’ll do some sort of challenge if you do multiple weekends at WDW? Seems like that could be something to make up for C2C for the time being. I was hoping to go C2C in 2018 but of course that’s not happening.
Would assume the Castle to Chateau still happens. Otherwise, maybe? We'll see.

Also the events page has been updated, FINALLY. It's not a good update but it's there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter