Future of west coast runDisney

I think they'll announce before Avengers in a last-minute cash-grab effort ... and try to sell that weekend out.
Thats the thing that keeps getting me....They could have sold Avengers out already if they had made the announcement. Why the delay??? We know Disney likes to get our money as soon as possible. So why wait to sell out Avengers? Sure locals can buy a bib a couple weeks ahead of time. But even myself, coming from Northern California, I need at least a month to pull off at trip. I think the delay in the cancellation announcement only decreases the possibility of an Avengers sell out.

Thats the thing that keeps getting me....They could have sold Avengers out already if they had made the announcement. Why the delay??? We know Disney likes to get our money as soon as possible. So why wait to sell out Avengers? Sure locals can buy a bib a couple weeks ahead of time. But even myself, coming from Northern California, I need at least a month to pull off at trip. I think the delay in the cancellation announcement only decreases the possibility of an Avengers sell out.
That's true - using myself as an example, I couldn't sign up for the half at this point because I'm not in half marathon shape, and less than 4 weeks or whatever is not enough time for me to get there. :confused3

I'm still bitter about having signed up for Princess since I only did it to get the Pink C2C. The first half of 2018 is turning out to be a very expensive and overly traveled year for me, so I am a little relieved that Tink may not happen, but I still feel like I wasted the cost for Princess. Oh well, it's still Disney!!

I do hope they bring back the Star Wars race though. I really wanted that C2C and I won't bother with the WDW race if I can't also do the DLR version.

I live in AZ and I am not flying to FL every time I want to do a Disney run. I am getting my C2C this year (thankfully) and then I guess I'll start running other things. (That Vacation Races Series looks fun!) I just hope this doesn't impact the amount of times I can convince my husband to let us go to DL. I was always guaranteed at least one DL weekend when I had a run scheduled.

If they cannot do another race weekend at WDW, maybe they go overseas and adding another weekend in Paris.

Race weekends at one of the Asian Parks could also be fun ;)

I live in AZ and I am not flying to FL every time I want to do a Disney run. I am getting my C2C this year (thankfully) and then I guess I'll start running other things. (That Vacation Races Series looks fun!) I just hope this doesn't impact the amount of times I can convince my husband to let us go to DL. I was always guaranteed at least one DL weekend when I had a run scheduled.
Is the Vacation Race Series the one that goes through the National Parks?? Because those look amazing!

I really hope the rumor saying that all the west coast races will be indefinitely postponed is bumming me out. :( I really did want to do the DL race weekend in September with my girls. I hope they are wrong and only some of the races are going away.

Yup! And they are all over: Lake Powell, Grand Canyon, Yellowstone....

I think those are getting added to my bucket list, they sound freaking amazing!

My "Sole Sisters" did Estes Park/Rocky Mountain Half this year and had an AMAZING time ... I was supposed to go but that ended up being the only time we could make Alaska work, so I had to skip.

I think Grand Canyon is on our list for next year!

Is the Vacation Race Series the one that goes through the National Parks?? Because those look amazing!
Vacation Races is great. I've done Grand Canyon and Grand Teton, and I plan to keep the streak going by doing another one next year. The courses aren't perfect and last year's GC Half was a snowy mud pit, but the organization is fantastic and it's amazing to get friends together for a road trip to see the national parks. They have their own magic, and in the interest of full disclosure, seeing those sights has ruined Frontierland for me a little bit.

Yes, the Vacation Races are on the outskirts of our national parks. I have run the Yellowstone one and the course was in Gallatin National Forest in Montana, about 10 miles from the park's entrance.
It was loads of fun but the air was thin as the elevation is over 6600 feet. Coming from sea level, I was sucking air as soon as the race started.

The finisher's medal was incredibly beautiful and it was so much fun wandering around Yellowstone wearing that medal!

I really hope it's not true that all the Disneyland races will be cancelled, but sadly I feel at this point like that is going to be the outcome. And I am even more bummed about it now than I was before because we have a tentative schedule for our school district for next year, and the time around Labor Day would actually allow for the opportunity to make Disneyland Half Weekend work if it was still happening.

I'm very interested in the Vacation Race Series as well.

I really hope it's not true that all the Disneyland races will be cancelled, but sadly I feel at this point like that is going to be the outcome. And I am even more bummed about it now than I was before because we have a tentative schedule for our school district for next year, and the time around Labor Day would actually allow for the opportunity to make Disneyland Half Weekend work if it was still happening.
There's a possibility that it may just be the ones in the first half of the year since they still have plenty of time to plan for the ones later in the year if they manage to work out the issues.

Someone on Facebook emailed a member of the Anaheim City Council and this was the reply:

"Good afternoon Mr. ----:

I have received your note and by way of explanation I have forwarded it to my Disney contacts for their information.

I believe that whatever the issue is may be internal to Disney, as the City of Anaheim has been and continues to be supportive of these positive community events.

I would suggest that you continue to monitor the Disney Website that is normally used to broadcast information about the runs for further information in the future.

Thank you for reaching out to me on these concerns.

Most sincerely,

CCM --- ---
District 5"

:confused3 This would match up with construction being the main culprit, and not the city, but who knows who is right. I wonder how many people have been contacting Anaheim officials about this? If it's a significant amount I could see them pushing back the blame to Disney just to get people off their backs. Or maybe this email is truthful and the city isn't the issue. :confused3:confused3:confused3

And LOL at monitoring the website, like all of us haven't been doing that since March? :upsidedow

Monitoring the website for Light Side info:
8373718.jpg

I did my first Vacation Race this year (Rocky Mountain) and it was a top-notch event. I would recommend them but that is based on my one experience. The friend I ran it with felt the same and it was her second race so that adds a little credibility.

They can do more races in WDW. I think bringing back a Halloween themed event and having it either the week before or after W&D so people could double up would be their best option. The first weekend in December would also be an option. The beginning of the month when most kids are still in school isn't any busier than most other times of the year any longer. March is the other choice, it would just have to be moved around based on Easter.

I do want to see another night race and hope that is where W&D returns after they are done with all the construction on property. If not than the early December race run at night (and it can start earlier as it is after Daylight Saving Time) would be great since all the Christmas lights could be on.

As for the Anaheim discussion, I find it hard to believe the city isn't granting permits for a few half marathons throughout the year. Many cities have multiple races each year without having trouble with just as difficult to work with city officials. Disney may either not be flexible enough or want too many concessions that other cities don't offer and other RDs don't even ask for. Hard to say without being on the inside.

i TOO am irked because I was hoping to get my coast-to-coast next year with princess and the Lightside/MLK weekend is pretty much all that works for my family to get out to Cali of those. I don't even want the Pink one or the Kessel Run, I just want the Original. Blue. Coast-to-Coast. Sigh. Sorry for the rant. But do not love the princess race and only signed up because of the Lightside/Coast-to-coast.

Well, as much as I've loved getting the Kessel Run twice in a row, if rD doesn't offer up two SW races per year, that's fine. If rD can resolve the DL race weekend issues, I'd personally love it if they could rotate themes for a race weekend - a little like how they made the DL 1/2 in September be PIXAR themed. Wouldn't it be neat to have a race where each year the theme changed? It could be POTC, Muppets, Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Marvel, Villains, etc - every year a different theme.

And though I love the Marvel race weekend, I can't justify going to all the races (though God bless those of us who can afford to go to all the races both in the US and Paris) financially. I can usually just do one at DL and maybe 2 at WDW. I really do miss seeing DL in the fall and loved experiencing the Nightmare Before Christmas Haunted Mansion Holiday. I'd be fine with Avengers/Marvel being replaced by another themed race - be it a pushed back Light Side weekend or something else.

Jumping back in, I meant to also say that if this IS construction related, then I would hope to hear about some new additional actual construction and not just StarWars. I've read rumors about Marvel-lands and Luxury hotels and extra parking (some confirmed). I would think it would be the Marvel construction that might impact the races most directly as I believe most of them utilize the area being rumored for Marvel as part of the entrance or exit to/fro DCA.

Regardless of its impact on runDisney, I find the amount of construction going on at both WDW and DL to be way more than I realized when you start looking closely at all the pieces (hotels, gondolas, SWL, overpasses, parking lots, bus stops). I was truly amazed when driving around WDW in August at how much they are doing outside the parks. I'm actually surprised that the EAST coast rD races aren't in jeopardy with how much they are tearing up.

And for those talking about wanting a return of night races, I would love that too. But I doubt it will happen, at least not anytime soon. Not because of construction, but because I don't believe Disney will forgo the revenue lost if it's not able to exploit the new lands. The crowds at Animal Kingdom at night in August were huge (when not a whole lot of rides are open, keep in mind). The fact that they can sell Star wars dessert parties that are basically cookies and crackers, the same meet/greets as during the day and space on a pavement are evidence of just how far they will be able to milk the Star wars land. No way will they close those parks early for races at this point. The only way we will get a night race back is if we do laps around Epcot and Wide World of Sports. :rotfl2:

Last edited:
Here's my issue with the construction theory. It hasn't stopped the races before. Star Wars Land has been under construction for what two three years now? And the Big Thunder Trail has been closed again and open again (part of the route at times) during the past 3 years. So it's not like they haven't successfully rerouted with the construction before. So why would it suddenly become a race cancelling nuisance?

I've been doing DL for seven years. I've seen a lot change in the course. If they had to cancel because of construction the DL races would have been done a long time ago.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!