Further confirmation that the “Disney” is disappearing from their resorts….

Like the OP, I started going early on- 1972 to be exact- when it was just the MK and Kissimmee was still just a bunch of farms and cow fields. I often reminisce about all of the things that made Disney more like Disney as well. In those days the theming and attractions still had Walt's fingerprints all over them them- as he had only recently passed away several years before- and I understand what the OP is trying to get across. It was a 'simpler' time, and when we are kids things just seem more magical when combined with a child's imagination while immersed in the Disney bubble. All of that said, change happens- and the Disney magic is still present at the resorts IMHO. Yes, in the rooms things are slowly becoming more vanilla- but the magic isn't all about theming (which is still amazing- just not what it was). It's also about the CM's, being on location, and that magical, palpable 'Disney bubble'. We just got back a little over a week ago- and I found myself thinking about some of these same things while in the parks- it's only natural when you have been there many, many times and have seen so much change as the decades pass. I think this is what we see as well with regards to HOA vs Wishes in some cases- many people have sentiments attached to Wishes as their kids grew up over the years, and now that it is just the adults going- it isn't the same. This doesn't mean the show is lacking- as both shows can stand alone as outstanding productions- but the 'glue' that creates the deep emotional responses is missing. We have our first two trips planned for next year- and are looking forward to them (were supposed to go this week as well but cancelled- too darn cold down here...). Even with all the change, we still enjoy most everything that makes Disney World a special place- and couldn't imagine not returning.

I for one am a person who dislikes changes, but unfortunately nothing stays the same but change. My biggest dislike of resort change is the afternoons around the main pools of the resort. One of my biggest draw of a WDW vacation is being transported to a different environment out of the every day chaos.. Each resort played its themed music, now for 4-5 hours the main pools play the every day pop music you hear at home.. we started just going to the quiet pools for this reason, especially at the Poly, we adore the Hawaiin music, its so relaxing versus the every day music now played for hours at the main pool.

I believe the intent on my article has been missed. I love Disney, always will, and I am not sour.:earboy2: Change is good and necessary, otherwise the resort would become stale. However, Disney should change and/or update the offerings, not eliminate them. It has always been the:tinker: "plus factor" that has set Disney apart. I respectfully disagree that you cannot compare Gaylord Palms to Fort Wilderness. The article wasn't a reference to the type of accommodations, but an observation on the short-cuts Disney seems to be taking on the extras. I used Fort Wilderness as an example because I am passionately familiar with the resort. Another example, who remembers when Goofy would water ski around Seven Seas Lagoon? He would ride up close to the boats and wave to the guests on their way to the Magic Kingdom. Today that plus factor would be written off because it "doesn't bring in money". However, it is those kind of random experiences that fuel the desire for people to stay on property and return time after time, and therefore DOES bring in money. :flower:

The offsite hotel room is 1/3 the price and has better amenities that's why.

Yeah but it doesn't have the lovely Disney resort themeing on the outside and isn't onsite. I know offsite resorts are cheaper, we used to do that. But we switched to onsite because we loved the feeling of the Disney resorts and that's why we pay the higher price.

Yeah but it doesn't have the lovely Disney resort themeing on the outside and isn't onsite. I know offsite resorts are cheaper, we used to do that. But we switched to onsite because we loved the feeling of the Disney resorts and that's why we pay the higher price.
My parents took me twice: once when I was about 10 yo and another time when I chose to go for my senior trip after high school. Both times we stayed off site and it just wasn't the same at all. When I got married last year, I told DH I HAD to stay onsite and experience everything about staying in the Disney bubble. I probably will never stay offsite again after experiencing what it's like to stay at a Disney resort. The benefits outweigh the price every time IMO.

I agree I have done offsite a few times then after trying onsite, Ill never stay offsite other than the night before we check in our Disney Resort. Even if I have to book through priceline or something or rent points at DVC I will always stay onsite

I have been visiting WDW since the year it opened, first as a child and now as an adult. There have been a lot of changes over the years. Some of them I agree with and some I don’t. But to be honest, the biggest negative change for me has been the other guests. Not just the fact that there are so many more of them there, but that so many of them are so self absorbed and don’t practice common courtesy anymore. Other guests have been the root of most of my less than magical experiences in the past few years, from flash photography on dark rides, to blocking walkways, to pushing and shoving, to line cutting, etc. I can remember a time when it felt like we were all a part of one big magical experience and I seldom get that feeling anymore. I still enjoy Disney, but some days dealing with other guests is exhausting. I do prefer staying on property, especially as a local, because it’s just a totally different experience. We call it the Disney bubble, but it’s really more than a bubble

I like the new rooms too . . .

I have been visiting WDW since the year it opened, first as a child and now as an adult. There have been a lot of changes over the years. Some of them I agree with and some I don’t. But to be honest, the biggest negative change for me has been the other guests. Not just the fact that there are so many more of them there, but that so many of them are so self absorbed and don’t practice common courtesy anymore. Other guests have been the root of most of my less than magical experiences in the past few years, from flash photography on dark rides, to blocking walkways, to pushing and shoving, to line cutting, etc. I can remember a time when it felt like we were all a part of one big magical experience and I seldom get that feeling anymore. I still enjoy Disney, but some days dealing with other guests is exhausting. I do prefer staying on property, especially as a local, because it’s just a totally different experience. We call it the Disney bubble, but it’s really more than a bubble

I completely agree with your comment about other guests. Almost all of my frustrations are with other guests: letting their kids run everywhere in line, cutting in line, being rude to CM's. Last year when we were at Epcot there was an older man on a scooter with a young child. He let the child honk the horn on the scooter continuously for about 10 minutes. We were by Spaceship Earth and everyone was covering their ears and staring at him. He either couldn't tell how loud the horn was or seriously just didn't care. I don't understand why people are so me, me, me all of the sudden. Everyone is paying to have a good experience and it ruins your whole trip to hear people be selfish and whining.

I believe a lot of the rude guest behavior is due to the very high price of everything on a Disney vacation. The resort costs, food costs, ticket costs, parking, etc etc. I feel it is so high that some people get the entitled feeling and feel they are "due" the great experience they are paying for, just like in the ads on tv. They try to shove everything into their trip, because afterall they paid for it, and that I feel is the root of the increased rudeness of some guests today. just MHO.:)

I believe a lot of the rude guest behavior is due to the very high price of everything on a Disney vacation. The resort costs, food costs, ticket costs, parking, etc etc. I feel it is so high that some people get the entitled feeling and feel they are "due" the great experience they are paying for, just like in the ads on tv. They try to shove everything into their trip, because afterall they paid for it, and that I feel is the root of the increased rudeness of some guests today. just MHO.:)

I don't agree. People are more rude everywhere, not just at Disney World.

Oh, I know, people are more rude everywhere, ie: entitlement. But I was responding to rude people at Disney, and I do think the high prices make everyone push a little harder so they can get their money's worth, IMO

I totally agree

Oh, I know, people are more rude everywhere, ie: entitlement. But I was responding to rude people at Disney, and I do think the high prices make everyone push a little harder so they can get their money's worth, IMO

I agree with @maxiesmom I don’t think it has to do with price. It is today’s entitled generation.

Seems those amoebas are only an issue when it is convenient.

Naegleria is a real problem, not just one that Disney claims is an issue when "convenient". It likes to live in warm water and is found in all of the southern states (and other more northern states) and has been known to be an issue in more than one water park when disinfection is not well done. It is a particular problem all over Florida.

Naegleria is a real problem, not just one that Disney claims is an issue when "convenient". It likes to live in warm water and is found in all of the southern states (and other more northern states) and has been known to be an issue in more than one water park when disinfection is not well done. It is a particular problem all over Florida.

But they could engineer a solution. It can look rustic, but still sanitary.upload_2017-12-13_11-42-25.jpeg

I like the new theming but I also liked the old theming. I really don't mind if it's Disneyfied or if it's toned down. I pick my resort based on amenities, location and luxury. When I go on vacation those are the most important things to me. I'm not going to turn down a resort because of the look of a bedspread or if one resort has 5 hidden Mickey's versus 6.

I find it amazing how many people are willing to be hostile (albeit lightly) towards the OP because they simply disagree... It's a valid observation - not simply a "trip down memory lane." :rolleyes2

My family has vacationed at Disney for years and bought into DVC in the late 90s. It's very obvious that Disney is toning down on theming, as well as skinching on amenities, simply to save a few dollars. For example: DVC rooms now will no longer have whirlpool tubs or ceiling fans, and the square footage is slowly dwindling for the upcoming resorts, yet the prices are ever increasing. Also, the OP's observations are completely correct - the quality and Disney theming is not the same as it has been in past years, and while many may feel as though it is adequate, that does not eliminate the fact that they are indeed removing elements in an effort to cut corners and cost.

I totally agree! Why wouldn't one pick a title which would ensure a higher viewership??

I am wondering when many will start turning away from the onsite to offsite. For my upcoming trip we went with onsite, but I investigated offsite for the first time. I was AMAZED at how cheap some beautiful resorts practically on property are (compared to a deluxe)!

In my opinion, enough perks still exist to make staying on property worthwhile. But corners are being cut at a seemingly accelerated pace. I am curious as to what the tipping point may be...

I tend to agree with your sentiment. Big deal if you paid a lot and feel entitled - do you really think everybody else around you got in for free so you need to act that way to get what you want out of your vacation? I need a superpower that shrinks the "heightened sense of entitlement" that floats around in people.

I totally agree! Why wouldn't one pick a title which would ensure a higher viewership??

I am wondering when many will start turning away from the onsite to offsite. For my upcoming trip we went with onsite, but I investigated offsite for the first time. I was AMAZED at how cheap some beautiful resorts practically on property are (compared to a deluxe)!

In my opinion, enough perks still exist to make staying on property worthwhile. But corners are being cut at a seemingly accelerated pace. I am curious as to what the tipping point may be...

That is precisely where my thought process (and that of my family) is at. We have spent countless vacation dollars staying on property over the years, it is excessively upsetting to me seeing the subtle yet consistent changes that Disney is making to cut corners. Smaller room sizes and less amenities, as well as removal of their traditional theming in the rooms (that has made them hard to distinguish from a standard hotel) yet for double and triple the cost that a stay was in years prior is ridiculous. The mouse is not immune to the almighty dollar, that much is obvious.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter