Further confirmation that the “Disney” is disappearing from their resorts….

I believe a lot of the rude guest behavior is due to the very high price of everything on a Disney vacation. The resort costs, food costs, ticket costs, parking, etc etc. I feel it is so high that some people get the entitled feeling and feel they are "due" the great experience they are paying for, just like in the ads on tv. They try to shove everything into their trip, because afterall they paid for it, and that I feel is the root of the increased rudeness of some guests today. just MHO.:)
I think it’s that but also think it’s that we are becoming more & more of a narcissistic society. Among other things, social media encourages this narcissism as does our more limited actual human contact in the digital age.

I believe a lot of the rude guest behavior is due to the very high price of everything on a Disney vacation. The resort costs, food costs, ticket costs, parking, etc etc. I feel it is so high that some people get the entitled feeling and feel they are "due" the great experience they are paying for, just like in the ads on tv. They try to shove everything into their trip, because afterall they paid for it, and that I feel is the root of the increased rudeness of some guests today. just MHO.:)

Oh, I know, people are more rude everywhere, ie: entitlement. But I was responding to rude people at Disney, and I do think the high prices make everyone push a little harder so they can get their money's worth, IMO

Count me in on being shocked by the guest behavior. People can be rude anywhere, that’s is certainly true. However, I do agree there is a an element of price influencing behavior at work.

We travel extensively both for work and pleasure. We always stay club/concierge level at full service hotels and resorts so I have seen many lounges, many guests using the lounges. I will say, I never saw the type of piggish, greedy lounge behavior that I did at the Poly. I am not talking about people grabbing an extra banana or bottle of water for the road. I am talking about a guest grabbing every single bagel as soon as the staff refreshed the buffet, running down the hall with them, moms filling 6-8 bowls of cereal at a time, stacking them like a tower to take back to the room, guests taking huge mounds of cheese, not just a couple pieces, etc.

Disney is expensive. My husband, who never questions my family vacation spending, was shocked when he learned how much our first Disney trip cost. (Full disclosure, we stayed at Deluxe, I know it can be done for less money).

I could see how some people might not use their best manners when they feel the need to get all they can for the cost. Doesn’t excuse bad behaved, it just shines a light on a motivating factor.

I am known by my friends and family to be a die-hard Disney fan, committed to staying on Disney property at almost all costs. However, a recent stay at the Gaylord Palms was reminiscent of the magic that staying on-property at a Disney Resort ( ANY Disney resort for that matter) used to provide. Disney is becoming almost sterile. To tell the truth, the magic has been disappearing slowly, so I didn’t even notice it fading until now.

At the Gaylord Palms, from the moment you drive up to the lobby, you are instantly transported into an environment that seems to shed away all of the worries and concerns of the real world. The smells of the lobby, the grand décor, lush greenery, and sounds of the waterfalls nearby, and the many live animal exhibits are only part of the equation. It is in the extras that are provided. Every turn throughout sprawling walkways in the resort leads you to another (FREE) conversation invoking sight. You can take a leisurely stroll around the grounds to view the many individually decorated Christmas trees, partake in the Build-A-Bear scavenger hunt, or even sit to watch the complimentary (yes, this is FREE too!) Cirque Dreams presentation with the dazzling Christmas light pre-show.

I suppose the litmus test of a resort’s offerings could be summed up like this: If you had a bored young child and took a walk with them, would their eyes light up? Would they feel the awe of their surroundings? Or would you be searching for the nearest generic playground to hopefully expend some of their energy?

I have stayed at many Disney hotels and each has their own décor and identity. My favorite has always been Fort Wilderness. I’ve stayed there in air-conditioned tents, pop-up campers, RVs, and I now we usually stay in the cabins. The resort has always held a special position in my heart, and I often describe it as my “happy place.” I am starting to ask myself, how much of that happy feeling is from the history and memories from my past stays? Is it simply a shell of the experience it once held?

I remember the days when we would watch the fireworks and water parade at the beach of Fort Wilderness and then head over to the Trail’s End to “make our own pizza” and listen to the banjo player- and this was after 10:00PM. While you can still watch the fireworks and the water parade, the pizza and music afterwards were part of the “plus factor” that Disney used to pride itself. It was a late night treat.

I remember the wandering peacocks, free-range chickens, and the variety of animals in the petting zoo. Now, the peacocks are gone, no sight of the chickens, and the petting zoo is limited to ponies. While the ponies are nice, they don’t really measure up to the caliber of a petting farm.

I miss the open-air trams roaming through the campground. Many times my brother and I would ride around while our father set up camp so we would stay out of his hair. We were just as happy with this ride as we were with theme parks.

And don’t get me started about lawnmower tree. It is gone too. So I ask, Disney, with their extensive horticultural department could not foresee the possibility that the living tree with a lawnmower inside it could possibly die one day? Could they not have had one or two in the nursery growing as replacements? Would it have taken up that much room or would it have required too many man-hours to maintain? (Hint, if it hasn’t rained in a long time, give it a little water- it is a tree , after all)

River Country? It was a draw for many other resort guests and locals, not just those staying at the campground. I know, I know, amoebas in the water, blah, blah, blah…. Seems those amoebas are only an issue when it is convenient. Guess what, the Walt Disney World land used to be one big swamp. When Disney wants something, they can, and will, create a solution.

I won’t stop going to the campground mainly of the special place it holds in my heart, and I want my children, and grandchildren to love it as well, but, it is really all I remember? Are we limited to sitting on the porch of Crockett’s Tavern and closing our eyes to mentally have the same experiences from the days of old?

I so agree with you! I think we have to be of a certain age :-)p) to maybe see some of the things that those younger cannot see, or miss!! They don't realize what it 'was', so all they see is today's Disneyworld. I'm just so glad we experienced the real Disney of yester year with our children. Loved the steam train at FW and other things that you mentioned also.

We're just leaving Disney. Yes, dh & I still like to go, but our enjoyment is less than it used to be. No one can understand our missing what used to be unless they were there.
It wasn't crowded, reservations did not have to be made weeks/months in advance. You could go 'spur of the moment', get dining ressies 'day of' including King Stephan's Banquet Hall (Cinderella's Royal Table), walk on rides (or very small wait) no FP's needed. Just glad we were able to experience 'that' Disney!!

Still love camping in FW - in motorhome now - and if I listen real hard - can still hear the steam train whistle there!! :) pixiedust:

I agree with @North of Mouse's post above, and another thing I really miss about how WDW used to be, is the way Epcot's Future World used to be a lot more educational. Back then Epcot was my favorite park, for its edutainment!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter