• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Frozen Ever After broken down

Based on how NFL soft opening went as soon as word was out that the ride was open people rushed teh attractions. Even in a soft opening people walk away complaining that the didn't get to ride.

I'm not saying that they couldn't have done yesterday better but at the same time no matter hwo they open rides someone is going to walk away unhappy becuase they didn't get to ride.

With soft openings usually people understand Disney can and will cut the line at any time. On opening day of an attraction nobody is happy to see tons of downtime with the standby line closed for a good chunk of the day.

Why do they not put sandbags in all the boats and run the attractio for 2 weeks to see what happens?
Sandbags don't have arms that stick out of ride boats and trigger various sensors. So while you get the weight with the sandbags, its still not the same as actual people

Sandbags don't have arms that stick out of ride boats and trigger various sensors. So while you get the weight with the sandbags, its still not the same as actual people

Are there reports that this is the cause of the first 2 days' breakdowns? Actually, since it's the same boats and track, I now wonder if the breakdowns are the display or audioanimatronic elements.

If it's the boats, I have a prediction: Heavy crowds might be pressing them to load the boats heavily. I was once on Maelstrom when they loaded 4 adults into 3 rows each, and I said "uh oh" and sure enough we got caught in the second reversing gate. Too heavy.

Please keep in mind, one the BIGGEST reasons rides close or have to stop is due to GUESTS!

Guests do really dumb things all the time, like trying to stand up in the middle of a ride.

Before we rush to assign blame....

Are there reports that this is the cause of the first 2 days' breakdowns? Actually, since it's the same boats and track, I now wonder if the breakdowns are the display or audioanimatronic elements.

If it's the boats, I have a prediction: Heavy crowds might be pressing them to load the boats heavily. I was once on Maelstrom when they loaded 4 adults into 3 rows each, and I said "uh oh" and sure enough we got caught in the second reversing gate. Too heavy.

Too heavy sounds accurate.

FEA:

Feabily
Erected
Attraction

We are here this week as well and both FEA and the Mine Train have been down more than they have been running. The classic rides have been running like a top though.

It started the day (9:00) off line. Then it got up and running around 9:30. At 10:48, a Touring Plans user reported it as being off line again. As of noon, still reported as being closed.

"We Have Put A Curse On You..."

tumblr_nay1mswU6x1srx575o1_1280.jpg
DIS-A-PPEAR! DIS-A-PPEAR! DIS-A-PPEAR!

I don't think it's unreasonable to be disappointed with the ride being down. As much as people are paying to be there, the expectations that attractions work properly would be high. Most people don't get to go all the time. If I had expectations to ride this ride, waited in the heat for 2.5 hours to be told it was down, I'd be disappointed. Not really upset, but definitely disappointed. When we were there in May, we had 8 am ADRs, but 7DMT was down, until around 10:30. We also had fps, but they were 10 am and by the time it was up and running, the fp line was almost as long as standby. No problem, we'll ride Winnie the Pooh. Nope, down, Barnstormer? Down (both off and on all morning). The saving grace: fps for Space Mountain. Nope, down until after 1 pm. Ok, this is getting out of hand; I'll ride the train to Frontierland/Adventureland and have a nice lunch at Skippers. Oh, after 40 minutes waiting, we were told the train was down. Walked to Skippers, but by then we'd had enough. Left after lunch. Never did ride the train, Barnstormer or Space Mountain, despite 3 days at MK. So, I don't have a right to be disappointed? Oh, and by the way, my taxes are a lot less than a visit to Disney World, and when I make a mistake at work, your hair is going to look like crap.
Oh wow ! It is a wonder Skippers Canteen was open when you went to lunch lol. Sounds like a mess of broken down rides.

We are here this week as well and both FEA and the Mine Train have been down more than they have been running. The classic rides have been running like a top though.
Those classics are pretty dependable :thumbsup2

Oh wow ! It is a wonder Skippers Canteen was open when you went to lunch lol. Sounds like a mess of broken down rides.
Lol Skippers was open and a highlight of our day. We have now added it to our "must do" list. As for the rest of it, we left and went to the pool and watched a movie on the lawn. We were lucky the first day that it had rained and we got to do a lot of rides so we were good. Just disappointed; but as long as there are princesses the trip was a success.

I can guarantee they did that. They also did CM testing. 7 dwarfs mine train wasn't perfect when it opened either. That ride opened and closed several times during the day for a couple weeks.

To be fair, 7DMT was a brand new build that had never been run, and with cars that moved in way that had never been built. First of it's kind was expected to have some adjustments.

Maelstrom/FEA existed for many years and they are using same boats, and there really should have been minimal glitches from that point of view. Animatronics technical issues yes, boat ride ......... not really.

To be fair, 7DMT was a brand new build that had never been run, and with cars that moved in way that had never been built. First of it's kind was expected to have some adjustments.

Maelstrom/FEA existed for many years and they are using same boats, and there really should have been minimal glitches from that point of view. Animatronics technical issues yes, boat ride ......... not really.
I don't think a lot of the issues are with the boats themselves. Animatronics are really the big problem it seems.

I don't think a lot of the issues are with the boats themselves. Animatronics are really the big problem it seems.

I don't know why Disney would risk an e-vac for animatronics if the boats could float on by. It seems a bigger safety hazard than it's worth.

I have been evacuated from Maelstrom and Pirates (Maelstrom was through sets, out to backstage, on fire escape type stairs into an area not necessarily safe and pirates was as we teetered on the hill and our boat had to be tied up so they could even let us move). I can't imagine they would choose an e-vac if they could have floated us to the end.

I don't know why Disney would risk an e-vac for animatronics if the boats could float on by. It seems a bigger safety hazard than it's worth.

I have been evacuated from Maelstrom and Pirates (Maelstrom was through sets, out to backstage, on fire escape type stairs into an area not necessarily safe and pirates was as we teetered on the hill and our boat had to be tied up so they could even let us move). I can't imagine they would choose an e-vac if they could have floated us to the end.
The ride wasn't evacuated yesterday and did reopen fairly quickly after it was today so it can't be a major issue. It might have to do with the new s shaped bend they put in.

I guess I'm lucky. We were there for two weeks at the beginning of the month and other than a short breakdown of Test Track as we were queuing up for FP, we didn't see a single attraction shut down.

There is a video on YouTube of Frozen with the first Olaf and the Anna and Kristoff scene partially inoperative. It definitely takes away from the experience (particularly that first Olaf, which is really quite remarkable in my opinion). These animatronics are astonishingly good, at least on the video, and it stands to reason that Disney will want everyone to see the ride at its best and thus finish the cycle and shut it down when animatronics need to be reset. Side note- I think these animatronics are better than those at Shanghai's Pirates ride. Much more lifelike and fluid.

I am still surprised that they didn't soft open the ride to stress test it. I was lucky enough to ride the soft open of 7DMT in 2014 - 2 hour wait, but worth it.

One more random thought: I loved Maelstrom, but holy cow was it dated. It was only mildly entertaining when I rode it at age 9, it was only mildly entertaining when I rode it again 16 years later, and it was only mildly entertaining 3 years after that. The mechanics of the ride were more memorable than the "story". The nostalgic Disney fan in me loved it, but like the Gran Fiesta Tour, it doesn't really stack up against the other Disney rides. Floating past static dioramas? It was neat, but even Figment moves around!

The Frozen version now looks every bit as entertaining as Peter Pan's Flight or Winnie the Pooh. I really like the use of the backward portion of the ride to watch the magic spread through the hallway. I obviously haven't ridden it yet, and I can't imagine waiting more than an hour to ride, but I think entertainment-wise, it was a good choice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter