• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Fried chicken differences?

Okay, so here's the rundown.

Poultry Palace isn't fried at all, its baked. Picture shake and bake. It's meh, at best.

Flo's has AMAZING crispy skin. But, the meat is dry and the pieces are very small. It still has skin and bone but the battered skin is amazing. I prefer the mashed potatoes and gravy at Flo's...they are roasted garlic mashed and garlic gravy.

Plaza is the best overall. It most closely resembles KFC in preparation, but it's MUCH better than that. Plaza Inn serves giant pieces of chicken. Definitely shareable, and they have biscuits which are great also.

Carnation Cafe is literally just a boneless, skinless breast coated in flour and deep fried. I can make this at home much better. The meal is nothing special.

Oh wow, just saw some pictures online of it. Topping it with gravy seems to give it an unfair advantage in this competition! Will absolutely try this!

There is gravy at Flo's and Plaza Inn as well.

Also, forgot to mention, Flo's has a similar dish to Carnation...chicken fried chicken. It's a boneless skinless breast, like the ones they have on the crispy chicken sandwiches around the parks, just in case you don't want to deal with skin/bones.

Where's tip yip on the list?
Way lower, while delicious, the prices in Galaxy's Edge are about 20% higher than the rest of the park and the portions are about 30% smaller. Basically, the only things I can recommend food wise in Galaxy's Edge are the Chocolate Popcorn and the various forms of the Ronto Wrap, everything else is overpriced for the portion size, even by Disney Standards.

Okay, so here's the rundown.

Poultry Palace isn't fried at all, its baked. Picture shake and bake. It's meh, at best.

Flo's has AMAZING crispy skin. But, the meat is dry and the pieces are very small. It still has skin and bone but the battered skin is amazing. I prefer the mashed potatoes and gravy at Flo's...they are roasted garlic mashed and garlic gravy.

Plaza is the best overall. It most closely resembles KFC in preparation, but it's MUCH better than that. Plaza Inn serves giant pieces of chicken. Definitely shareable, and they have biscuits which are great also.

Carnation Cafe is literally just a boneless, skinless breast coated in flour and deep fried. I can make this at home much better. The meal is nothing special.

If you are going to eat at Carnation Cafe, may I suggest the meatloaf? I order it every time we are there. It is delicious!

DH and I tried the Plaza Inn chicken on our last visit, and honestly, we weren't at all impressed. The pieces of chicken we got were tiny, not particularly crispy or moist.. we thought it tasted fairly comparable to KFC. The rest of the meal was decent, but nothing special that we feel the need to repeat.

We *were* there pretty late, so maybe we ended up with what was left and not what they typically serve..?

That may be true but it’s also a very small serving of chicken for $19. I was there with friends last summer and one of them ordered the FC. He asked for the vegetables on the side (for me, the longtime vegetarian). So when the server brought his plate, it was a small single piece of chicken. Again, for $19. He spoke with the manager and she comped him two more pieces. Just know that you won’t get much for your cash.
Sounds like your friend might have experienced a fluke. Glad the manager was able to help. Our serving of the chicken fried chicken at CC has always been large enough for two to share. It has always been freshly prepared, never meh, and we find it to be a little spicy-- but it isn't fried chicken like what is served at Plaza Inn. These are two totally different styles of chicken. And the meal at Plaza Inn is generous enough for two as well.

I love Plaza Inn fried chicken; so much so it is the one restaurant I eat at every trip. I have not had Flo's, mostly because I have not heard good things and we haven't tried Carnation Cafe; for some reason it just doesn't ever appeal to anyone. I am curious about Poultry Palace though as a small meal option but only if it is decent.

I'm gonna have to go to Plaza twice on our trip in April, as I love the pot roast there, but have read countless praises for their fried chicken. Here's a 1st world problem - Disneyland has far too many good restaurants to eat at. :-)

Plaza Chicken is AMAZING. You won't get better outside of the deep south which will require a LONG wait and a hefty pricetage.

See, I'm from the South, and everyone always raves about The Plaza Inn, but I just haven't tried it because I've got some good fried chicken at my fingertips all the time. I will give it credit for smelling good though! It's the same with barbecue, you know?

I'm gonna have to go to Plaza twice on our trip in April, as I love the pot roast there, but have read countless praises for their fried chicken. Here's a 1st world problem - Disneyland has far too many good restaurants to eat at. :-)
We may or may not have added 2 extra days to make sure, not that we will get on all the rides we want, but that we will be able to eat all the food we want. 🤤

I only know Plaza Inn is prepared as "broasted", or "pressured-fried." That has a lot to do about its reputation as gives it its moist/juicy reputation. Not sure about the others

Correct and Flo's V8 is deep fried and it is drier. Still good but not the same. Very crisp skin at a cost. But more pepper too. I had this Flo's V8 chicken last in Nov 2019. It was still good. 10/10 I would eat it again. But I still prefer Plaza Inn.

Correct and Flo's V8 is deep fried and it is drier. Still good but not the same. Very crisp skin at a cost. But more pepper too. I had this Flo's V8 chicken last in Nov 2019. It was still good. 10/10 I would eat it again. But I still prefer Plaza Inn.

Well, to be fair, pressure fried is still also deep fried. It just takes less time.

We were at Flo's on 1/31 and the chicken was really good but the Chicken Fried Chicken was no longer offered. Not sure if it was just for that day or off the menu for good. We did Mobile ordering if that makes a difference.

We were at Flo's on 1/31 and the chicken was really good but the Chicken Fried Chicken was no longer offered. Not sure if it was just for that day or off the menu for good. We did Mobile ordering if that makes a difference.

I have noticed it comes and goes from the mobile ordering platform, but that's all I use these days. This is one of my frustrations with mobile order. So many restaurants are inconsistent as to what is offered via mobile order. The most recent example that is a head scratcher is that at the Adorable Snowman stand, you can mobile order lemon or vanilla soft serve, but not chocolate or swirl, even though both are still on the menu. These inconsistencies drive me batty.

It was listed as the blue plate special a while back and that special appears to be changing from time to time. No telling whether the chicken fried chicken will be back. But if it is, that will be my menu choice this summer. 😋

That may be true but it’s also a very small serving of chicken for $19. I was there with friends last summer and one of them ordered the FC. He asked for the vegetables on the side (for me, the longtime vegetarian). So when the server brought his plate, it was a small single piece of chicken. Again, for $19. He spoke with the manager and she comped him two more pieces. Just know that you won’t get much for your cash.

So they requested to take off half the items and then complained the portion was too small? Not too sure about that thought process.

So they requested to take off half the items and then complained the portion was too small? Not too sure about that thought process.

There are also supposed to be mashed potatoes and a dinner roll, so not sure why only a piece of chicken came out. Sounds fishy.

Thanks for the clarification, I was confused because the Plaza Inn chicken entrees contain THREE pieces of chicken. The chicken fried chicken (chicken breast that is breaded in flour or breadcrumbs, seasoned with spices and then cooked) from Plaza Inn is just one piece.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter