Fried chicken differences?

nocturnekings

Earning My Ears
Just curious - is there any difference in the ingredients/preparation of the fried chicken at the various locations that have it? I think the 3 main places are Plaza Inn, Flo's, and Poultry Palace. Have had Flo's and thought it was pretty lackluster - if it's all exactly the same recipe, doesn't seem to make sense to go running around to try them all.

Any faves?

Don't know the answer to your question for those places but Carnation Cafe is best in park hands down IMO!

Don't know the answer to your question for those places but Carnation Cafe is best in park hands down IMO!
Oh wow, just saw some pictures online of it. Topping it with gravy seems to give it an unfair advantage in this competition! Will absolutely try this!

I love Plaza Inn fried chicken; so much so it is the one restaurant I eat at every trip. I have not had Flo's, mostly because I have not heard good things and we haven't tried Carnation Cafe; for some reason it just doesn't ever appeal to anyone. I am curious about Poultry Palace though as a small meal option but only if it is decent.

I only know Plaza Inn is prepared as "broasted", or "pressured-fried." That has a lot to do about its reputation as gives it its moist/juicy reputation. Not sure about the others

That may be true but it’s also a very small serving of chicken for $19. I was there with friends last summer and one of them ordered the FC. He asked for the vegetables on the side (for me, the longtime vegetarian). So when the server brought his plate, it was a small single piece of chicken. Again, for $19. He spoke with the manager and she comped him two more pieces. Just know that you won’t get much for your cash.

That may be true but it’s also a very small serving of chicken for $19. I was there with friends last summer and one of them ordered the FC. He asked for the vegetables on the side (for me, the longtime vegetarian). So when the server brought his plate, it was a small single piece of chicken. Again, for $19. He spoke with the manager and she comped him two more pieces. Just know that you won’t get much for your cash.

Not sure I agree with that assessment...have always left stuffed with no room for dessert and satisfied with the value.

I've never tried Flo's but love Plaza Inn and Carnation, although they are different. Carnation's is more of a fried boneless chicken breast with a thicker layer of breading and no skin. Plaza Inn is good old fashioned fried chicken, skin and bones included. Both places come with mashed potatoes, veggies and a biscuit (Plaza Inn) or dinner role (Carnation). I think I like Plaza Inn better, but I would go with either in a heartbeat.

So, Plaza's is hands down the best fried chicken in the parks and fairly high on the list even outside the parks, although there are a couple of places that are up for the challenge.

Flo's is similar; however, it isn't quite the same as others have pointed out.

Poultry Palace isn't even in the same league as it is considered Outdoor Vending, and not even considered a restaurant.

I would say the order for Fried Chicken is (Best to Worst):
  1. Plaza Inn (By a long shot)
  2. Knott's Berry Farm Chicken Dinner Restaurant, Dine In preferably, but the to go is good too and no theme park ticket needed (Yes, outside the parks, but its a classic and if you are in the area, you have to)
  3. Carnation Cafe
  4. Flo's
  5. -
  6. -
  7. -
  8. -
  9. -
  10. -
  11. -
  12. -
  13. -
  14. -
  15. -
  16. -
  17. -
  18. -
  19. -
  20. Poultry Palace
Yes, I would really put Poultry Palace that far down the list.

Interestingly enough, my kid thought Poultry Palace was better than Flo's, although he had it a year prior. Maybe an odd amazing time for one, and a bad time for the other.

As far as Knott's, I last had it a few years ago when we had passes - and was severely disappointed! We were there for breakfast though (had chicken & waffles) - could have just been an issue where they just didn't have enough quick turnover....

So, Plaza's is hands down the best fried chicken in the parks and fairly high on the list even outside the parks, although there are a couple of places that are up for the challenge.

Poultry Palace isn't even in the same league as it is considered Outdoor Vending, and not even considered a restaurant.

2. Knott's Berry Farm Chicken Dinner Restaurant, Dine In preferably, but the to go is good too and no theme park ticket needed (Yes, outside the parks, but its a classic and if you are in the area, you have to)
  3. Carnation Cafe
  4. Flo's
  5. -
  6. -
  7. -
  8. -
  9. -
  10. -
  11. -
  12. -
  13. -
  14. -
  15. -
  16. -
  17. -
  18. -
  19. -
  20. Poultry Palace
omg I ate Poultry Palace for the first time when I was hungry, and it was amazing. Then I had it again a different time and it was so gross! My hunger must have blocked my judgement lol.

I recently tried the chicken at Plaza Inn for first time & was fairly disappointed. It was ok, but I just didn’t get what all the hype is about. I loved the mashed potatoes that came with it though.

I guess Fried Endorian Tip-yip also technically belongs on the list somewhere too, although I haven't had that. It seems somewhat similar to the dish Carnation Cafe, at least on paper.

3. Carnation Cafe
  4. Flo's
  5. -
  6. -
  7. -
  8. -
  9. -
  10. -
  11. -
  12. -
  13. -
  14. -
  15. -
  16. -
  17. -
  18. -
  19. -
  20. Poultry Palace
Where's tip yip on the list?

Ah, found some differences detailed at Disney Parks Blog "It’s a Fried Chicken Celebration at Disneyland Resort" (I can't post links)

“our [Plaza Inn] sweet and savory brined chicken is lightly coated in a secret flour blend of garlic and spices, then fried under pressure to create a delicate and magical crunch. This simple approach known as ‘broasting’ results in a distinct deep golden brown color and crispy exterior, and an unbelievably juicy interior.”

“our [Flo’s V8 Cafe] chicken sings of toasted flour and notes of a rich egg batter scented with prominent ground black pepper spice. While the exact science to this recipe is a secret that’s only known to Flo, we use a traditional basket fryer, ensuring there is a pronounced crunch with every bite and the meat is filled with sweet-salty juices.”

Ok, for sure, I gotta try Plaza Inn.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter