• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Found Cast Member in my hotel room

It can happen anywhere. Not sure why you'd thing Disney would be immune to it.

I guess I just don’t want to think something so ugly could happen at Disney...but as a guest I would like to know what to look for so I could be more observant to what’s going on around me and certainly let security know if something was going on. I’d actually like to know what exactly CMs are looking for when they do a security check.

I have never been asked to step out of my room, but usually I am in a value or moderate resort with the curtains open on the window (I also usually stand by the door holding it open). I wonder If there are some situations, such as a man checking a room of a solo female, or a female checking the room of a solo male, where the CM has the authority to ask the guest to step outside as a safety precaution for both the guest and the CM? By being in a room that anyone can see into during the inspection, there is less chance of something unpleasant happening than there would be in a room where there are interior corridors. I would not be surprised if there have been people trying to exploit the situation to gain discounted or comped room nights by making accusations against CMs.

I travel solo and I just stand there holding the door open. If the guest is in the room, and does not feel comfortable leaving, then you come back, or send a cast member that is male/female in that situation. I don't think that it is reasonable to ask the paying guest to step out of their room if they do not feel comfortable doing so. If you are just "checking" and being honest, then why do you have to have privacy to do so?

I travel solo and I just stand there holding the door open. If the guest is in the room, and does not feel comfortable leaving, then you come back, or send a cast member that is male/female in that situation. I don't think that it is reasonable to ask the paying guest to step out of their room if they do not feel comfortable doing so. If you are just "checking" and being honest, then why do you have to have privacy to do so?
I don’t know for sure if that is why they are asking or not, just a guess on my part since I haven’t been asked to do so. Personally, I feel since all the guests are supposed to be in Disney’s system, they should know the rooms with solo guests. It would be interesting to find out whether the issues are occurring in hotels with interior vs. exterior corridors though. Most of the time when I have been in the room during the check, they have looked in the window first before knocking, so there aren’t any surprises on either side.

I agree the guest should not be forced to leave the room. I would not feel comfortable leaving the room because, unlike when I go to the parks, there is a high likelihood of valuables being in plain sight (i.e., tablet and/or camera in plain sight, wallet out, etc.). So far, holding the door open and remaining in the room has not been an issue. If I were asked to leave, they would have to give me time to secure any valuables and would be welcome to watch me do so through the window, as I would watch them check the room the same way. When I leave the room for the parks, there isn’t anything out in view to be tempting so the fact that I am not present isn’t an issue.

Pre-Covid they used to come in without requiring guests to leave. This is definitely just Covid policy.

I guess I just don’t want to think something so ugly could happen at Disney...but as a guest I would like to know what to look for so I could be more observant to what’s going on around me and certainly let security know if something was going on. I’d actually like to know what exactly CMs are looking for when they do a security check.
Most likely part of the reason you think that is because Disney takes great pains to make sure guests and especially children are safe at its properties. They have “plain clothes” security agents in the parks posing as guests watching for suspicious activity. Pretty much every corner of the parks is being monitored by video cameras. Hotel rooms for obvious reasons are not video monitored so need to be monitored with in person check ins.

I guess I don’t get the concern re valuables. If a hotel employee is going to steal from you, they wouldn’t do it when you are standing outside the room waiting to come in and can check if anything is missing. Especially since you have seen the CM’s name tag and could report them right after.

I don’t know for sure if that is why they are asking or not, just a guess on my part since I haven’t been asked to do so. Personally, I feel since all the guests are supposed to be in Disney’s system, they should know the rooms with solo guests. It would be interesting to find out whether the issues are occurring in hotels with interior vs. exterior corridors though. Most of the time when I have been in the room during the check, they have looked in the window first before knocking, so there aren’t any surprises on either side.

I agree the guest should not be forced to leave the room. I would not feel comfortable leaving the room because, unlike when I go to the parks, there is a high likelihood of valuables being in plain sight (i.e., tablet and/or camera in plain sight, wallet out, etc.). So far, holding the door open and remaining in the room has not been an issue. If I were asked to leave, they would have to give me time to secure any valuables and would be welcome to watch me do so through the window, as I would watch them check the room the same way. When I leave the room for the parks, there isn’t anything out in view to be tempting so the fact that I am not present isn’t an issue.
If they really wanted to steal something, the fact that it wasn't in plain sight doesn't mean anything. If they truly were after something, simply hiding it at the bottom of your bag or somewhere else out of sight doesn't make it safe. To be honest, even the safes in the closets might not be safe. I'd assume they all have a master key or master passcode over ride to open them. I tell my husband, a locked door only keeps an honest person honest. If someone wanted to break into our house it wouldn't be hard to do so, and that deadbolt isn't much of an obstacle. If a Disney employee wanted to steal something from you, they can.

Again, CM safety. It's not privacy for them, it's safety. Yes, they could come back. But they don't have time to stand there and monitor your room and wait for you to leave. or make multiple rounds checking to see if you are there or not. They have a job to do, and while I totally get what you are saying, it is not really safe to enter an occupied hotel room. I absolutely understand why they'd ask you to step outside of the room. On the other hand, as a female, I'd understand why you wouldn't want someone to come into your room while you are there. So Buddy system I guess. One CM always stands outside the door, with the door open monitoring for safety. Just like in prisons..

First time we noticed this was in Oct of 2018. Hubby and I were taking a down day at our room in OKW. Cast Member scared the stuffing out of me when she came in, I hadn't heard the knock. She apologized profusely for scaring me and we had a good laugh about it. She explained what/why they were doing it. I don't have an issue with the check-ins. I understand why they are doing it. It would be helpful if the resort let you know in an email or at the desk, that they have people stepping in the room daily to do a wellness check. If they do now, awesome.

Not sure I understand how on earth Human Trafficing could happen at Disney....I known there was an incident last year of a guest bring a duffel bag with weapons which was discovered by bell devices at Poly. Guest claimed he needed to be able to “protect his family”

Disney is always in the discussion when HT is being discussed, long story short it happens and Disney is a prime location. Sadly this is exactly why the security checks are happening there and not other Orlando hotels, why certain guests are targeted for "inspections" and why I stopped staying at Disney hotels. We had a very negative experience with it.

Disney is always in the discussion when HT is being discussed, long story short it happens and Disney is a prime location. Sadly this is exactly why the security checks are happening there and not other Orlando hotels, why certain guests are targeted for "inspections" and why I stopped staying at Disney hotels. We had a very negative experience with it.
What happened?

Sounds like a bad idea. We don't need to be reporting on each other. If you see anything really weird just let someone at the front desk know.

The second worst is when you walk in, & a shirtless employee in the bed says, "Welcome home."
The worst is when you enter & two employees are in bed & one yells, "GET OUT!" at you.
Wait, I may have entered the wrong rooms.
And come to think of it, these both happened in Vegas. Nevermind.

Sounds like a bad idea. We don't need to be reporting on each other. If you see anything really weird just let someone at the front desk know.

Plus asking them "What are you looking for?" is probably a really good way to get your account flagged for EXTRA attention paid to your room. Just like you're not supposed to film or take pictures of TSA at airports. It gives an air of "We want to know what you're looking for so we can make sure to hide it."

Disney knows exactly who I am and how many zillions of times I've come to WDW and stayed at one of their resorts over the last several years. They know where I go and what I do since I stay in the Disney bubble, eat at their restaurants, and from the time I arrive until the time I leave, I'm at WDW, 24/7. And I use a Magic Band, so they literally know where I am at any moment.

Do they really think I'm doing something shady there? What evidence do they have of this? And if they do think so--for any or no reason at all--why are they continuing to let me stay on property and go to their parks and restaurants? If I'm such a suspicious character.

The TSA has PreCheck, so you don't have to stand in the usual TSA line but instead get to sail through. I wish WDW would have something like this, because frankly I've had it with someone showing up at my room at random times. It's happened to me at WDW more than once and it's extremely annoying, particularly during a nap. I'm on vacation, not the subject of an ongoing investigation.

This happened to us in February 2018, also at AoA. Our son was 2 years old, so still in a diaper and stroller. We returned to our room at 7 p.m., dinner from the food court in hand, DS slumped over asleep in his stroller, with a stinky butt (which he must have done while on the bus back to the resort), and as we approached I noticed our room door was wide open. None others, just ours. I loudly said something to DH and we cautiously stepped inside. A housekeeper with a rag in her hand - no cart anywhere in sight - came running out of the bedroom area, and told us "You can't be here. You need to leave." She really truly startled me, and I just remember muttering something about needing to change DS and went into the bedroom with him. She followed us, saying, "You need to scan your band, prove it's your room, you need to leave." DH went to the door with her and scanned his band, after which she quietly offered to take the bag with the stinky diaper with her and she left. DH stuck his head out the door and said she didn't go into any other rooms, just straight to the elevator. I posted about it here and was told that it was NOT normal and that we should call the front desk, but since then I've seen other people post similar experiences. I totally get it and I understand, but at the time it threw me off very badly and took me a few hours to stop shaking.

Disney knows exactly who I am and how many zillions of times I've come to WDW and stayed at one of their resorts over the last several years. They know where I go and what I do since I stay in the Disney bubble, eat at their restaurants, and from the time I arrive until the time I leave, I'm at WDW, 24/7. And I use a Magic Band, so they literally know where I am at any moment.

Do they really think I'm doing something shady there? What evidence do they have of this? And if they do think so--for any or no reason at all--why are they continuing to let me stay on property and go to their parks and restaurants? If I'm such a suspicious character.

The TSA has PreCheck, so you don't have to stand in the usual TSA line but instead get to sail through. I wish WDW would have something like this, because frankly I've had it with someone showing up at my room at random times. It's happened to me at WDW more than once and it's extremely annoying, particularly during a nap. I'm on vacation, not the subject of an ongoing investigation.

Yea, it makes you think while your money’s good, on the other hand Disney sees you as sketchy.

I do wonder with all the data they collect on us over the years, there isn’t some profile built on loyal repeat customers. I think maybe it’s to protect us from whatever is out there but housekeepers doing security doesn’t make me feel more secure.

And be prepared if you are in your room and need privacy to use the privacy lock in addition to the room occupied sign. It will not keep them from knocking but they will be aware you are in the room should they unlock the dead bolt lock. I didn’t use the privacy lock once when i was sitting out on the balcony at the boardwalk. Both the housekeeper and I were surprised when I walked back into the room from the balcony. From then on the privacy lock is on when we are in the room.

I also started calling housekeeping to tell them when we will be out and request that the room check be done during that window of time with various degrees of success.
Yes! I wish I would have thought to do this a few trips ago
CM knocked while I was showering and then came into the room while both of my kids were watching the Disney Channel. My DS12 yelled, ' mom, some man is in our room.' He quickly said i will come back later. Someone from housekeeping called to apologize, but I really should have remembered the security lock😫.

I'm not really concerned because I don't keep anything valuable in the room except what's in the safe, and although I've seen hidden camera videos of hotel managers sneaking into guests' safes, I'm not really worried about this. I do write down what's in the safe on a list in my wallet and on a larger list that I put front & center inside the safe so a thief would know I keep track.

But if you want to be scared, a quick search turned up this old video on Youtube,

...& if you want to get paranoid about your home (Who doesn't?), David Spade's book "Almost Interesting" included an actually interesting description of how cleaners at his house were busted by cops for stealing over $10K from him, but I digress.

I'm not really concerned because I don't keep anything valuable in the room except what's in the safe, and although I've seen hidden camera videos of hotel managers sneaking into guests' safes, I'm not really worried about this. I do write down what's in the safe on a list in my wallet and on a larger list that I put front & center inside the safe so a thief would know I keep track.

But if you want to be scared, a quick search turned up this old video on Youtube,

...& if you want to get paranoid about your home (Who doesn't?), David Spade's book "Almost Interesting" included an actually interesting description of how cleaners at his house were busted by cops for stealing over $10K from him, but I digress.
yeah... locks only keep honest people honest. Which really is why I don't understand the people who are worried about things getting stolen during the security checks. If they want to steal from you they will. I do understand why people get upset when they barge in unannounced while you are in the room tho. That's totally understandable.

I bring no jewelry except what i wear 24/7. Very limited electronics. I go to Disney to escape reality, I don‘t drag most of my stuff with me. If it is too valuable, I might just lose it, forget about it being stolen. I leave valuables at home.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter