• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Found Cast Member in my hotel room

disneysophie

Mouseketeer
So let me start by saying I visit Disney very often. Usually for weekend stays on a monthly basis (2-3nights at a time). Well I’m here now in a suite at the Art of Animation and I have the “room occupied” sign on door. Well.... I left and came back about an hour later to walk into my room and there’s a cast member inside! He says “ I’m inspecting” and walks out. I went to front desk to ask and was told they walk into every room EVERY DAY even if the sign is on the door.
Did everyone know this? I have never been told this at any of my hundreds of times stating at Disney property. I know all hotels reserve the right to enter your room at any point BUT according to the ARt of Anination front desk they actually enter all rooms every single day!
I’m annoyed by this. Never knew this happened every day on all Disney property. I think it’s Ridiculous that they need to enter my room on a short vacation stay to inspect!

They also check for signs of human trafficking.

As the PP said, it has been happening at Disney and other hotels since the Vegas shooting - Disney is just transparent about it.

"We reserve the right to enter any room at a Disney Resort hotel for maintenance, safety, security or any other purpose, even if the Room Occupied sign is displayed on the room door."

So let me start by saying I visit Disney very often. Usually for weekend stays on a monthly basis (2-3nights at a time). Well I’m here now in a suite at the Art of Animation and I have the “room occupied” sign on door. Well.... I left and came back about an hour later to walk into my room and there’s a cast member inside! He says “ I’m inspecting” and walks out. I went to front desk to ask and was told they walk into every room EVERY DAY even if the sign is on the door.
Did everyone know this? I have never been told this at any of my hundreds of times stating at Disney property. I know all hotels reserve the right to enter your room at any point BUT according to the ARt of Anination front desk they actually enter all rooms every single day!
I’m annoyed by this. Never knew this happened every day on all Disney property. I think it’s Ridiculous that they need to enter my room on a short vacation stay to inspect!

Yes. They‘ve been doing it for about 3 and a half years now. Most people who are at the parks all day don’t or won’t even realize they’re there. They don’t go through your items. They just look around.

They replaced the “Do Not Disturb” signs with “Room Occupied” signs as well. If your room occupied sign is on, they may wait a bit longer to enter after they knock.

Hotels are private property and people like housekeeping have always entered rooms even if you aren't there, so I don't see this as any big deal. What exactly they are looking for isn't broadcast for obvious reasons, but I don't have any issues with what they are doing. If you are in the room, you should always latch the door so no one can come into the room unannounced.

Yes, this has happened to us quite a few times. If you have the sign on the door sometimes they will try to come back, we have even had calls from housekeeping at the end if the day saying they needed to perform room check since our sign had been on the door all day. Othwr times,, the aign is on and they knock, if we do know answer they do come in, it's part of their job. Just go expected this to happen.

Yes, this has happened to us quite a few times. If you have the sign on the door sometimes they will try to come back, we have even had calls from housekeeping at the end if the day saying they needed to perform room check since our sign had been on the door all day. Othwr times,, the aign is on and they knock, if we do know answer they do come in, it's part of their job. Just go expected this to happen.

And be prepared if you are in your room and need privacy to use the privacy lock in addition to the room occupied sign. It will not keep them from knocking but they will be aware you are in the room should they unlock the dead bolt lock. I didn’t use the privacy lock once when i was sitting out on the balcony at the boardwalk. Both the housekeeper and I were surprised when I walked back into the room from the balcony. From then on the privacy lock is on when we are in the room.

I also started calling housekeeping to tell them when we will be out and request that the room check be done during that window of time with various degrees of success.

I also started calling housekeeping to tell them when we will be out and request that the room check be done during that window of time with various degrees of success.
Wouldn't calling to "schedule" the room check kind of defeat the purpose of a room check for human trafficking and weapons caches? I can understand why you met with varying degrees of success doing so.

Wouldn't calling to "schedule" the room check kind of defeat the purpose of a room check for human trafficking and weapons caches? I can understand why you met with varying degrees of success doing so.

Exactly. If you're asking to schedule it, I would think that would essentially put a red flag on your account (and possibly trigger additional room inspections) because that makes it sound like you want to be sure anything illegal is hidden away/made to look normal during that time frame.

I understand the room checks for security but what aggravates me is when they enter your room to drop off the DVC marketing materials. Once when we stayed at Poly we went back to the room to rest for a bit not intending to nap. We did not lock the door or put up a sign because we weren’t planning on staying. I guess we were more tired than we thought because resting our feet turned into a little nap. I heard a knock on the door but by the time I got up to see who it was they had already entered. A gentleman from bell services was coming in to drop off the DVC marketing materials. I was startled for sure and was glad my husband was there with me! I did complain to management and she was very nice and said they would see if there was a better way to distribute those materials without entering the guest rooms (especially during Covid). Why not just slide it under the door? It felt like a violation of privacy just to promote DVC.

Exactly. If you're asking to schedule it, I would think that would essentially put a red flag on your account (and possibly trigger additional room inspections) because that makes it sound like you want to be sure anything illegal is hidden away/made to look normal during that time frame.

You would think that would be the case, but I don’t think Disney necessarily wants to find anything. They just want to deter people from illegal activity because of the possibility of the checks.

Plenty of people have reported they called security over the years to ask them to come back when they weren’t in the room. Or they’ve turned security away at the door and asked them to come back in a half hour or so. I think it’s a somewhat frequent occurrence with families who know about security checks. I doubt anyone is red flagged for that reason alone.

I found it kind of funny that on 2 separate stays at The Poly, security actually called our room to schedule a security check. I told them to come whenever they wanted. Both times they pressed me for a time, so I said come now. It was a nice little visit. Lol.

You would think, but the idea to schedule a time actually came from more than one Disney cast member. I think it might vary because Disney sends different types of personnel for room checks, housekeepers, housekeeping managers, and room inspectors with iPad like devices. Your results may vary, especially with reduced staffing. Maybe Mickey will enter.

Last edited:
You would think that would be the case, but I don’t think Disney necessarily wants to find anything. They just want to deter people from illegal activity because of the possibility of the checks.

Plenty of people have reported they called security over the years to ask them to come back when they weren’t in the room. Or they’ve turned security away at the door and asked them to come back in a half hour or so. I think it’s a somewhat frequent occurrence with families who know about security checks. I doubt anyone is red flagged for that reason alone.

I found it kind of funny that on 2 separate stays at The Poly, security actually called our room to schedule a security check. I told them to come whenever they wanted. Both times they pressed me for a time, so I said come now. It was a nice little visit. Lol.

Likewise, I have had them call my room to schedule a visit. It probably is more efficient for them to do it this way to cut down on repeated visits where guests are in the room when they are indisposed. Efficiency=$

Likewise, I have had them call my room to schedule a visit. It probably is more efficient for them to do it this way to cut down on repeated visits where guests are in the room when they are indisposed. Efficiency=$
It does make sense. Security was probably getting turned down at the door often enough that in some cases, it’s just better to call.

But again, it begs the question: Why bother doing this at all if a guest can schedule a so-called security visit and hide any evidence of wrongdoing? Certainly eliminating a useless protocol would save even more money.

I find it weird that they are calling. Even if it was because they kept getting turned away, scheduling it just makes it easy for people up to no good to conceal whatever they are hiding.
But the reality is, security is not going to push you out of the way and come in if you say your family is getting dressed or whatever other reason you give. The fact that security is even knocking at your door or calling you is probably a deterrent to of criminal activity for most people.

But again, it begs the question: Why bother doing this at all if a guest can schedule a so-called security visit and hide any evidence of wrongdoing? Certainly eliminating a useless protocol would save even more money.

I imagine the liability accruing from not continuing the policy, or stipulations for insurance coverage. They can also take out the trash while they are in the room. Maybe it’s more of a trash check

I don’t like the idea of them coming in the room just to drop off DVC advertising. If they interrupted my park nap for that I’d be grouchy.

The security checks haven’t bothered me much at all, maybe twice it was inconvenient over the years. But I wonder… if they’re not opening drawers/luggage and going thru closets how can they know there’s no cache of weaponry?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter