• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Found Cast Member in my hotel room

But again, it begs the question: Why bother doing this at all if a guest can schedule a so-called security visit and hide any evidence of wrongdoing? Certainly eliminating a useless protocol would save even more money.
1. The idea that they could do so is enough of a deterrent for the less-than-determined

2. or absolves them of liability in the case where they “should have known” that someone was up to something. They document that they entered the room, found nothing remiss, and if they were to be sued, they executed on their duty to make that check.

Exactly. If you're asking to schedule it, I would think that would essentially put a red flag on your account (and possibly trigger additional room inspections) because that makes it sound like you want to be sure anything illegal is hidden away/made to look normal during that time frame.

At SSR last Christmas we had a CM who WOUDNT do the check when we were in the room, and kept asking when wed leave. We were there for a resort only trip and had already swam all morning and were just relaxing with no intent of leaving again they day. They asked 3-4 times within 2 hours if we were stepping out yet even though we said we had no intention to. We eventually had to stand in the breezeway for them to do the check.

At SSR last Christmas we had a CM who WOUDNT do the check when we were in the room, and kept asking when wed leave. We were there for a resort only trip and had already swam all morning and were just relaxing with no intent of leaving again they day. They asked 3-4 times within 2 hours if we were stepping out yet even though we said we had no intention to. We eventually had to stand in the breezeway for them to do the check.

Well, yeah. People staying in their room all day is definitely going to send up flags - that's pretty much what the Vegas shooter did, reportedly only leaving to add to his stash.

I still say scheduling it would allow someone who does have nefarious intentions to conceal whatever they had and remove the whole point for the checks.

Has anyone ever brought a musical instrument like a violin to a Disney resort? And if so, did they make you open the case during ths room security check to prove that it contained an instrument as opposed to a big gun?

I just don’t see how this will deter much. If I was someone planning a shooting, I don’t think I’d be taking a plane there. I’d most likely drive and I would think such a person would just keep the weapons in their car trunk. It may deter some human trafficking but not much.

Well, yeah. People staying in their room all day is definitely going to send up flags - that's pretty much what the Vegas shooter did, reportedly only leaving to add to his stash.

I still say scheduling it would allow someone who does have nefarious intentions to conceal whatever they had and remove the whole point for the checks.

I was more commenting on the fact that wouldn't inspect it until we stepped out. We gave them every opportunity to insect it with us in there.

Would human traffickers really spend hundreds of dollars more than they needed to in order to stay on Disney property?
On a place where thousands of strangers from dozens of countries congregate and the likelihood that anyone will notice anything out of the ordinary is zero because there is no ordinary? Yes, they will.

I don’t like the idea of them coming in the room just to drop off DVC advertising. If they interrupted my park nap for that I’d be grouchy.

The security checks haven’t bothered me much at all, maybe twice it was inconvenient over the years. But I wonder… if they’re not opening drawers/luggage and going thru closets how can they know there’s no cache of weaponry?

I have never had them add any DVC, or any other promotional material, after we have checked in. I have 50+ trips to WDW always staying on property. I think this was an isolated event. As far as the room checks, that information is out there. I have received notice of this in emails, and I have seen pamphlets in the room. Not to mention how every single fan site talked about it for months and months. I don't think that they are supposed to go through your things, just walk in and take a look around. It is 100% security theater. As far as the doors, I always flip all of the locks on the door whenever I enter my room. It is a safety measure and just a smart thing to do. So it has become an automatic habit of mine. That way, if I am in the bathroom or changing, someone does not just quick knock and walk in on me.

I was more commenting on the fact that wouldn't inspect it until we stepped out. We gave them every opportunity to insect it with us in there.
Yeah. They’re inconsistent with this. Sometimes they seem to not care if you’re in your room during the checks and other times it feels like they want you to leave. Maybe they have a different mandate each day. Lol.

That seems odd. I had them come a few times while I was in my room and they just walked in a few steps and then said "thank you" and left. I would question why they feel uncomfortable "looking around" while I was in the room that I paid for. That alone seems odd. If they can't look while you are in there, it makes is suspicious to what they are doing while you are out. This "security check" goes too far, IMO.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter