? for those who've been to WDW and DLParis

I took my kids to WDW in June and they loved it. My 3 year old would really like to spend her 4th bday, coming up this May, at Disney again. I was thinking that since we've done WDW just this year, Disneyland Paris could be a great option for us. We're Americans, but we travel a lot. I just can't decide which option to choose. Can someone tell me the pluses and minuses in choosing the Paris option?

IMO, THE big plus: DLP is a wonerful park, way prettier than the MK. But the resort is way smaller than WDW
THE big minus at this moment in time: it will be awfully expensive for you since you're American.

We've been to Paris itself, so this will be a purely Disney trip (and in all likelihood, we'll be traveling to and from another European location so flight durations are irrelevant). I am particularly interested in making this a very special trip for the entire family, so I want good accomodations with perks, in WDW we stayed on the concierge level at The Contemporary and were pleased with the concierge help, refreshments and fireworks viewing, I see that in Paris, they offer a similar option at the New York but w/ less food. Can anyone comment on this?
I haven't done "concierge level" at WDW, but don't expect the same thing at DLP. I think the closest is the Castle Club at the Disneyland Hotel.

What about shows? Are they all in French?
The "speech" on most rides is in French, there is a English version of the Lion King Show, and Tarzan is a mix and match of all languages, as is Mickey's Winter Wonderland show.

French and English are the main languages though, with French been used a little more on rides.

Also, my kids love meeting characters and we try to do as many character bkfsts and meet and greets as we can, how do the parks compare in this regard?
There are character meals, but less than at WDW. In your "hotel nights", standard breakfast is included. If you book in advance and pay a supplement, you can have breakfast with characters (only one place does this though). There is character lunch and dinner at Lucky Nugget, character breakfast, lunch and dinner at Cafe Mickey, princess lunch and dinner at Auberge de Cendrillon and the character tea at the Plaza whatever it is called. Oh, and on Sunday character brunch at the Steak House.
I don't know what you are used to, but I am a big eater, and I couldn't eat 3 TS meals at DLP a day though...

Another concern of mine is dining. I like to eat table service or good buffet meals for all 3 meals. We don't eat quickservice. How does dining compare?
Well, I answered this already a bit. IMO, DLP has nice restaurants, as well the CS as TS. Meals are quite large and I couldn't eat 3 TS meals a day.

I know I've asked a lot, but I'm a compulsive planner and any tips/advice you can provide is most appreciated. Thanks!

TIA!

One of the nice things about DLP still is that you dont' have to plan every drink in advance like at WDW :)
Enjoy that, enjoy the "go with the flow". Depending on when you go, you might want to make your dinner reservations during the day, but I love the fact that you can wait to see what you're in for.

I wouldn't, if money were no object, I would go to California or Tokyo. But that said, if you are in Europe, I recommend you try the difference (but I am biased, I do not like the weather of Florida, the southern/midwestern clientelle and I think the MK is subpar to every other MK park around the globe with the exception of Hong Kong - especially as they market WDW as the epitome of Disney - as a Disneylander I am offended).

To the OP, please bear in mind, IMHO a lot of Brits are blinded by the weather/number of themeparks/and American experience when proclaiming there love of the world, so be sure to qualify WHY they prefer it.

For some, they like choice others quality. To me DLP is like a fine piece of Fillet Mignon, small and sometimes perfect, other times has it's faults, but the quality ingredients are evident. WDW is like an all you can eat buffet of rump steak.

Personally I would rather have quality than gorge myself. That said, I prefer Disneyland in Anaheim further still (even more attractions and the best English speaking cast)

I completely agree with this.

BTW, I miss the old Manhattan restaurant, I really LOVED that place! Greta food, nice decor, and rather calm!

Wow, lots of amazing info on here! Thanks! So far it looks like we are leaning to DLP with a few days driving around France.

Also check out Chantilly:

http://www.chateaudechantilly.com/chateauchantilly/uk/index.html

They are famous for their riding school and races (a french prince thought he would be reincarnated as a horse, so he built a palace for his horses on the grounds of his Chateau). Also the main house has a huge library including the medieval text of the Duc de Berry whose artistic stylings was an inspiration to Disney artists when creating Sleeping Beauty in the 50's (and the chateau partially inspired the home in Cinderella). It also houses France's largest art collection outside of Paris. It is very child friendly too.

Plus the town is reknowned for their lace and sweet whipped cream (as well as ice cream). Well worth it and less than an hour from DLP. We prefer it to the very crowded and expensive Versailles.

Faux et Vicomte (Inspiration for Versaille) and Fountainbleu are not far away. Compiegne has Napolean's favorite palace, the Chateu at Pierrefonds is like a storybook:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Château_de_Pierrefonds

And not far from there you can find the Railway carriage where the armistace to WW1 was signed.

Also Rheims has a Notre Dame Cathedral where the kings of France were corronated (so historically more important than the more westernly famous one in Paris) and there are several Champagne wineries with tours and tastings (the Tattinger one is in medieval cellars - while the rest are more modern) - my kids enjoyed the tour last year (ages 4 and 2 at the time) - but we take them to museums and galleries.

At Davy Crockett Ranch, there is horse riding and an adventure trail with death slides,

can anyone go there to ride, or do you have to be staying at the ranch do you know? and if you can what are the prices like? thanks

for a site very important for WW2 and the American Space Programme, check out la Coupole, where they did all the missile experiements in WWII.

http://www.lacoupole-france.com/en/default.asp

Also, if you go further North, there is an awesome aquarium (better than Monterrey California's IMHO)

http://www.lacoupole-france.com/en/default.asp

Mix in other things like the WWI trenches, Normandy beaches, Mount St Michel, or a further drive, the Bayeux Tapestry, one of the world's earliest forms of propaganda, the medieval tapestry (started 20 years after the Norman Conquest of England, and showing Halley's comet) are all less than 3 hours drive from DLP.

Also consider the canal town of Brugge over the border in Belgium - often called the Venice of the North.

We always try to combine a little culture with our DLP trips. Not forgetting DLP is also in the Brie capital of the world.

At Davy Crockett Ranch, there is horse riding and an adventure trail with death slides,

can anyone go there to ride, or do you have to be staying at the ranch do you know? and if you can what are the prices like? thanks

Not sure as I don't ride, but it's worth contacting DLP directly. Sadly they have down graded things over there as that's where the Buffalo used to live, as well as a pack of wolves. I am not sure they are over there anymore.

Also, if you feel like animals, Wildcat park has opened near DLP. We have not been here yet, but I have heard good things:

http://www.tourism77.co.uk/theme-parks-france/wild-cat-park.htm

For other parks, Parc Asterix is not far. It is not themed as well as the other American parks, but it is fun, has some craftsmen, a mix of steel rides, some themed rides and dolphins. It's very European. Definalely not Disney, but fun and has some great coasters.

http://www.parcasterix.fr/

IMO, THE big plus: DLP is a wonerful park, way prettier than the MK. But the resort is way smaller than WDW

I agree, MK looks really fake and plastic. DLP themeing of the "lands" looks more real.

Then there is the artist colony town of Barbizon where many impressionists really worked on improving their style.

DLP may not offer the heat (thank god) of Florida, or so many theme parks. But for tourists there is so much to offer. This month will mark my 50th trip to DLP and some trips we have stayed for 2 weeks and still not done everything in the area.

Ooops, have I gone a little OTT??? I was just trying to help. I just find it funny when people tell me there is not as much on offer in the DLP region as Orlando.

There are many cool things to see and do in Orlando, but to me, DLP is definately a worthy alternative.

Dave, you do bring up some excellent points. And I agree with you that there is so much more to France (and the world) than just Disney. While I enjoy my Disney experiences, I shudder when I read people who are only going to Paris to see Disney, and have never been to that city or the environs before and have no plans to ever see Paris.

I realize that we all have different tastes, but to miss out on the rest of the world in favour of Disney, when one hasn't left one's home country before or seen much of the world, is to me quite sad. (I'm not referring to the OP here as he/she has been to Paris before)

Thanks Dave for suggesting so much of what France has to offer in addition to Disney and reminding readers what there is to see in our world!

For other parks, Parc Asterix is not far. It is not themed as well as the other American parks, but it is fun, has some craftsmen, a mix of steel rides, some themed rides and dolphins. It's very European. Definalely not Disney, but fun and has some great coasters.

http://www.parcasterix.fr/

or take the quick train ride to Strasbourg or Karlsruhe, and enjoy the unique charm of nearby EuropaPark, which to me surpasses Disney in some ways. There you will definitely find great hotels and service, as well as some amazing rides to please all ages.

..... I shudder when I read people who are only going to Paris to see Disney, and have never been to that city or the environs before and have no plans to ever see Paris.

I realize that we all have different tastes, but to miss out on the rest of the world in favour of Disney, when one hasn't left one's home country before or seen much of the world, is to me quite sad.

To each their own, vive la difference and all that. One man's meat is another man's poison (thought that may appropriate to a vegetarian. :goodvibes )
As long as we're all happy doing our own thing, whether it's being a culture-vulture or an uncultured swine, eh?

there is so much more to France (and the world) than just Disney. While I enjoy my Disney experiences, I shudder when I read people who are only going to Paris to see Disney, and have never been to that city or the environs before and have no plans to ever see Paris.

I realize that we all have different tastes, but to miss out on the rest of the world in favour of Disney, when one hasn't left one's home country before or seen much of the world, is to me quite sad.

Surely people can do whatever they want with their holiday time and money?

It may upset and disgust you, but a lot of people like (especially with small children or who are nervous about new cultures) like to know their limited holiday time will be spent somwhere they can be at complete ease and relax and have fun.

Don't get me wrong, I love to travel and have done so extensively throughout Europe, Africa, Asia and North and South America. But I don't feel sorry for others because they don't want to. Especially not on a board where people come to discuss their love for holidaying in Disney!

I'm not too surprised that people go to Paris just for Disney. I would imagine that many of the types of people who visit Disney are not always the types of people who would appreciate a trip to Paris (e.g. children are going to want to be in Disney and may get bored / impatient in Paris).

I would imagine that for a lot of the people who truly like to travel and visit Paris may be more likely to base themselves in Paris itself and then take a day trip out to the parks at most.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter