? for those who've been to WDW and DLParis

SwirlyGirly

Mouseketeer
I took my kids to WDW in June and they loved it. My 3 year old would really like to spend her 4th bday, coming up this May, at Disney again. I was thinking that since we've done WDW just this year, Disneyland Paris could be a great option for us. We're Americans, but we travel a lot. I just can't decide which option to choose. Can someone tell me the pluses and minuses in choosing the Paris option? We've been to Paris itself, so this will be a purely Disney trip (and in all likelihood, we'll be traveling to and from another European location so flight durations are irrelevant). I am particularly interested in making this a very special trip for the entire family, so I want good accomodations with perks, in WDW we stayed on the concierge level at The Contemporary and were pleased with the concierge help, refreshments and fireworks viewing, I see that in Paris, they offer a similar option at the New York but w/ less food. Can anyone comment on this?
What about shows? Are they all in French?
Also, my kids love meeting characters and we try to do as many character bkfsts and meet and greets as we can, how do the parks compare in this regard?
Another concern of mine is dining. I like to eat table service or good buffet meals for all 3 meals. We don't eat quickservice. How does dining compare?
I know I've asked a lot, but I'm a compulsive planner and any tips/advice you can provide is most appreciated. Thanks!

TIA!

Hi there!

I haven't been to WDW, so I won't be able to help with everything.

Firstly, I don't think there would be fireworks at DLRP in May- These are generally only on in selected seasons (Summer being the main one).

If you wanted something super special, you could always consider staying in the Castle Club at the Disneyland Hotel- Be warned though that is a very expensive option!! But you get perks like a lift that goes directly into the parks (I believe), and a refreshments lounge, and a more private breakfast where there are only other Castle Club guests present. I will say though, I think all the hotels look to have fabulous theming, so really, it's all about what appeals to you!

Dining- My favourite bit!! We're the same, we like eating at table service restaurants every meal (Except breakfast, which, throughout DLRP, is a buffet...). There is a good variety of places to eat, and I would particularly recommend Cafe Mickey for Character Dining. There's a restaurant reviews sticky at the top of this board which has lots of reviews and pictures which should help you in your planning (I'm addicted to planning too, so it's nice to know other people are totally addicted too!! :lmao: )...

Shows are often in French, yes, but there are some shows with English showings- If I recall rightly. Sorry to be vague here, but I haven't seen any shows!! Must correct that when I go back in September....

Hope thats helped a little bit!!

Bob xoxox

The two resorts are very different (have you ever been to DL in California - it's a better comparison). I have to be honest and say I do not really like WDW as much as DL and DLP. Yes, there are so many choices at WDW, but I feel the quality in the MK is subpar to DLP. Plus the resort is too spread out for my liking in Fla (i prefer that you can walk everywhere at DL and DLP).

Paris has better versions of the Haunted Mansion, Big Thunder, Pirates of the Caribbean, a much better fantasyland including a Small World on steroids, and better version of Buzz and Space Mountain. In the studios Paris has better versions of the Tram tour, Animation, Moteurs Action and Rock N Roller Coaster.

Unique attractions to Paris worthy of note are Cinemagique, Crush Coaster, Armageddon, the stage shows are Broadway quality (unlike in Fla), the Nautilus walk through exhibit, Alice's Curious Labrynth, Adventure Isle, Indy (ok subpar coaster) and the Dragon's Lair in the castle.

The Parade is better than any of the daytime parades in florida too.

So DLP is about quality over quantity. But they do lack the fireworks and the guest/cast behaviour is very different to what you are accustomed to. Cleanliness can be more European in standard too. That said, the MK was dirtier in Dec 2006 than DLP in June last year however.

as for dining, there are plenty of good choices at DLP:

California Grill (DLH) - equal if not a little better than WDW's version - French/California fusion in a Victorian setting.

Inventions (DLH) - very high quality character buffet overlooking Main Street - Lobster is occasionally on the menu

Silver Spur (Frontierland) - Wonderful Cattlemen's club steakhouse on par with Le Celliers in Epcot

Lucky Nugget - characters and a live frontier band in the saloon of frontierland as you have a buffet of tex mex (and some European dishes)

Walt's (Main Street)- A wonderful highly classy french/american steakhouse that was originally designed as a members only club

Blue Lagoon - located in the Pirates of the Caribbean ride, beautiful setting (think San Angel Inn epcot), sadly I have not had anything outstanding here - fish and caribbean offerings - chicken curry, jerk dishes, Osterich

Auberge de Cindrillon - set next to the castle, this is what the WDW castle eatery wishes it were - handmade tapestries and stained glass telling Cinderellla's story - French cuisine served by 18th century costumed cast while the Princesses greet and waltz.

Plaza Gardens (Main Street) - good buffet restaurant, with character teas in the afternoon

The Steakhouse (the Village) - sublime, this rivals the best of them at WDW. Wonderful steak in a Chicago gentlemen's club. Great wine list.

King Ludwigs (the Village) - great German dishes and beers in a Bavarian Castle - feels very world showcase

Annette's - burger and malt shop complete with roller skating waitresses

Rain Forest Cafe and Planet Hollywood - you know what to expect here

Cafe Mickey - al a cart character dining with stone fired pizzas, pasta and salads.

Yacht Club (newport bay) great seafood and steaks - similar to the yacht club at WDW.

The other hotels used to have great choices, but the management have dumbed them down. But as you can see, there are plenty of quality choices.

The two resorts are very different (have you ever been to DL in California - it's a better comparison). I have to be honest and say I do not really like WDW as much as DL and DLP. Yes, there are so many choices at WDW, but I feel the quality in the MK is subpar to DLP. Plus the resort is too spread out for my liking in Fla (i prefer that you can walk everywhere at DL and DLP).

I tend to agree. Plus I see WDW declining greatly in quality over the past few years, while DLRP maintains or improves quality. I visit a Disney park about once per month somewhere in the world, and DLRP is a close second favourite to DL. In fact, I tend to choose to visit DLRP over WDW now, for a variety of reasons.

I also find the food vastly superior at DLRP than at DL or WDW, and prefer the CMs at DLRP than in America.

As for hotels, this is where there is a big difference in WDW's favour. There is nothing on the scale of Wilderness or Animal Kingdom Lodge here, but there are some good choices.

The Disneyland Hotel is on the main gate of DLP. It's a smaller version (500 rooms) of the Grand Floridian with great service, and the Castle Club besides offering concierge (including character breakfast every morning) also offers unlimited fastpasses for your stay. Personally I prefer the value of the Hotel New York.

The HNY is near the Village and not far from the parks. It is like the Swan/Dolphin (Michael Graves design too)/Contemporary - more adult. But it has great facilities, wonderful service and is much cheaper than the DLH.

Newport Bay Club is the biggest hotel in Europe and has a good pool. It is pretty and similar to the WDW cousins, but the service is poor, and no room service, bell services or minibar unless you stay in the admiral's floor which is more expensive than the New York.

Sequoia Lodge is a cute moderate, and inspired Wilderness Lodge. It has the best pool within walking distance of DLP. Great value, but it is a moderate.

Cheyenne and Santa Fe are value like the All Stars, except better themed and no pools.

Then there is Davy Crocket Ranch - a smaller version of fort wilderness.

For entertainment, there are a few options too.

Buffalo Bills Wild West Show is the greatest dinner show on earth (IMHO) - horses, real buffalo, real native american indian dancing and a free cowboy hat with your meal. to me this is a star attraction at DLP (certainly beating Hoop Dee Doo and the Luau as well as all those others (Medieval Times, Pirates, Dixie Stampede, Arabian Nights etc.)

There is an Imax Cinema and games

Billy Bobs has live concerts

Hurricane's if you want to go dancing into the wee hours

27 hole golf course (we have a Marriott Timeshare on the course)

Tennis (indoors and out)

In the winter there is even an ice rink in front of the Hotel New York.

At Davy Crockett Ranch, there is horse riding and an adventure trail with death slides, archery etc.

Just down the road is our version of Celebration called the Val De Europe - one of Europe's largest malls, including a designer outlet village and a good Sealife Centre Aquarium.

We are going to DLP for 6 days in a few weeks, and I am worried we have not left enough time to truly enjoy it.

Whereas with WDW, except for Epcot and DAK (we have nothing like that at DLP), I don't really care if I ever go back. The quality has slipped tremendously, while DL and DLP are getting better all the time.

Now that Tower of Terror and Stitch live have just opened, and Playhouse Disney and Stars and Motor Cars coming next year, the future is bright.

I tend to agree. Plus I see WDW declining greatly in quality over the past few years, while DLRP maintains or improves quality. I visit a Disney park about once per month somewhere in the world, and DLRP is a close second favourite to DL. In fact, I tend to choose to visit DLRP over WDW now, for a variety of reasons.

I also find the food vastly superior at DLRP than at DL or WDW, and prefer the CMs at DLRP than in America.

Sounds like you and I are totally on the same page. A water park would be nice at DLP however!

I have not heard any feedback about the HNY yet, I don't know if anyone here has stayed there however we stayed at the Disneyland Hotel Castle Club last year. If you liked the views of MK at the contemporary I would recommend castle club as you can book a park view room which is basically in the park with a view of main street and the castle, you can get nothing like this at WDW.

Oh, and although some of these are out of date, this site gives you a reasonable view of what the menus are (for pricing, anything before March 2008 add about 7%)

But you get perks like a lift that goes directly into the parks

No, the lift does not go in to the park, it goes under the hotel, near the turnstiles. you still have to go through the normal entrance using your park ticket.

I have not heard any feedback about the HNY yet, I don't know if anyone here has stayed there however we stayed at the Disneyland Hotel Castle Club last year. If you liked the views of MK at the contemporary I would recommend castle club as you can book a park view room which is basically in the park with a view of main street and the castle, you can get nothing like this at WDW.

I've not stayed at the Empire State Club yet - it is basically the main building with a concierge lounge and rumoured to also have VIP fastpass. But I have stayed at the HNY many times.

The room are largish by DLP standards (about the same size as AKL/WL - we have no rooms the size of the Contemporary except the family rooms in the DLH). The fixtures, fitting and decor are very much like the Swan and Dolphin - swank 1930's art deco with a new york theme - lot's of apples, Statue of Liberty, Chrystler Building, Baseball and World's Fair motifs. The service is on par with the DLH. However, what used to be two of the best dining options in DLP have been ruined.

Parkside used to be a proper deli/cafe and Manhatten used to be a proper Cotton club style elegent restaurant with characters in the morning and live jazz at night.

Now Parkside is a European Buffet (how many of these does DLP need - Cheyenne, Santa Fe, Cape Cod, both SL restaurants, now Parkside, rendevouz de Stars, Plaza Gardens, Le Grange, Lucky Nugget, and Plaza Gardens). I hate buffets.

And the Manhatten was turned into an overpriced and not very good italian. Now it is closed while they retool it.

The shows tend to all alternate english/french, and its very clearly signposted outside/on the guides which ones are at which time.

I've never had trouble with characters understanding what I'm saying to them so I think they all speak good english too. (As most europeans do!)

Disneyland Hotel will really amaze you how close it is to everything, it is literally ON mainstreet! And a 2 minute walk from the studios park, the other hotels are a 10-20 minute walk (depending on which one you choose)

Whats happening there then??

Bob xoxox

I'm not sure. I am trying to get the inside scoop. They are refurbing it and it is rumoured to be a new menu. I hope it is a return to form and doesn't turn into another dreaded buffet.

The HNY used to be better than any of the WDW restaurants (except maybe Cal Grill and Victoria and Alberts). Now we are staying there when we go and at best may have roomservice. What a shame.

I'm not sure. I am trying to get the inside scoop. They are refurbing it and it is rumoured to be a new menu. I hope it is a return to form and doesn't turn into another dreaded buffet.

The HNY used to be better than any of the WDW restaurants (except maybe Cal Grill and Victoria and Alberts). Now we are staying there when we go and at best may have roomservice. What a shame.

We loved the look of the old menu, but when we went and saw the menu it didn't look very nice....

I'd be interested in any inside scoop you may get though.... I love a bit of insider knowledge!!

Bob xoxoxox

To be honest if you are planning just a trip to Disney I'd go back to WDW! & I really love DLP.

I wouldn't, if money were no object, I would go to California or Tokyo. But that said, if you are in Europe, I recommend you try the difference (but I am biased, I do not like the weather of Florida, the southern/midwestern clientelle and I think the MK is subpar to every other MK park around the globe with the exception of Hong Kong - especially as they market WDW as the epitome of Disney - as a Disneylander I am offended).

To the OP, please bear in mind, IMHO a lot of Brits are blinded by the weather/number of themeparks/and American experience when proclaiming there love of the world, so be sure to qualify WHY they prefer it.

For some, they like choice others quality. To me DLP is like a fine piece of Fillet Mignon, small and sometimes perfect, other times has it's faults, but the quality ingredients are evident. WDW is like an all you can eat buffet of rump steak.

Personally I would rather have quality than gorge myself. That said, I prefer Disneyland in Anaheim further still (even more attractions and the best English speaking cast)

Having been to WDW and DLP this year I must say it's hard to compare.
However what really is true is that the design of Disneyland Park Paris is much more elaborated than any park in Florida. :thumbsup2

Given the fact that you can't impress Europeans with a fake castle you have to be much more sophisitcated in the overall design and put in a little bit more magic and pixie dust. And they did. And it works. Disneyland Paris really is a beauty in design and detail, The gardens are great and you won't recognize so many detail in Florida. :wizard:

Cast Members may seem not-so-friendly than in the US but that's Europe or better the Paris' region.:headache:

I think the bottom line is this - what do you guys really like at WDW - fav attractions, dining etc. And then we can help you compare.

If you like the traditional stuff like Pirates, Haunted Mansion, the Mountains and shows, then go to DLP. If you like Frontierland, Main Street and Fantasyland, then definately go to DLP.

If you like the water parks, Cirque du Soliel, Epcot and DAK - then it is a hard call and WDW probably gets the edge.

Also, yes, the merchandise, menus and cast are very European which is a mixed blessing. But I can say I missed a glass of wine with my dinner at the MK.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter