For the first time in forever...I'm not in WDW! July 2014 Dland DR; UD 12/16

Hi Rachel
Only just spotted this thread - love your DL reviews!
I'm hoping to get back out there again next year, I just love it there!
My fave places were Carnation Cafe and Cafe Orleans - both are yummy
Oh and the Matterhorn Macaroons are incredible

I really enjoyed reading your report!! Can't wait to hear about your quick trip for work.:)
Hi, still plan to post, even though I am behind!
Hi Rachel
Only just spotted this thread - love your DL reviews!
I'm hoping to get back out there again next year, I just love it there!
My fave places were Carnation Cafe and Cafe Orleans - both are yummy
Oh and the Matterhorn Macaroons are incredible

Now time for my work portion, which was about a month after our trip.

After a horrible experience on that Magical Express knock off, I finally got to the park. The first place I went was to get food. I went to the French Market.

I ordered the
Cajun Meatloaf
a blend of Beef, Turkey, Pork, Smashed Potatoes, Seasonal Vegetables and Worcestershire Cream Sauce served with your choice of fresh Artesian Breads.

This was soooo good. You can see the worcestershire cream sauce on the bottom of the meatloaf and then there was some red spicy tomato sauce on top. The cream sauce was delicious along with the spicy tomato sauce. Using the extra sauce on the veggies and mashed potatoes made it even better.

For dessert I got the caramel banana cheesecake. This wasn't so great, but I wasn't even hungry after lunch so I probably shouldn't have ordered it.

So far French Market is my favorite counter service at Disneyland.

You even got to listen to a band while eating. Even though I wanted to eat inside because it was brutally hot, it was still nice to listen to them.

Afterwards I rode Winnie the Pooh

and met Mary Poppins(the prettiest Mary Poppins ever!!!)

Then I headed to California Adventure to watch the Pixar Parade.

I thought the water joke was a warning. No- they really do get wet in this parade. Like reallly wet.

It was a cute little parade.

Then I met Pilot Minnie- the must do I never got to do in July! She is just adorable.

Then I crossed back over to Disneyland- such a pretty evening.

This night was my dinner at Blue Bayou. Luckily I had a reservation since they were turning people away.

It was definitely a pretty restaurants with the crickets chirping and the boats coming by from Pirates.

You started out with some bread. Some sweet potato cheese biscuit and regular rolls. The sweet potato biscuits were pretty good, although a bit dry. I couldn't stop eating it!

The good thing with this restaurant that makes you feel better about the high prices is that you got soup or salad with your entree. I ordered the gumbo since the server said it is the same gumbo served at Cafe Orleans, which I loved.

It is so good.

For my dinner I ordered the salmon. The current description online isn't what I had. But i just found the description!

Pan-seared Salmon
Cajun-spiced with Sweet Corn Risotto, Citrus Mousseline, and Salsa Verde. Served with choice of Blue Bayou House Salad or Cup of our Signature New Orleans Gumbo or upgrade to our zesty Shrimp Cocktail - $33.99

This was amazing. It was a huge piece of salmon that was cooked perfectly. It was so tender and flakey. The citrus sauce mixed with the salsa verde were perfection. It gave the fish a nice spice. The sweet corn risotto wasn't as good as I thought but it was still good. I thought it would be creamier.

I was so stuffed at the end that I was struggling to finish the last bites of my salmon. I wanted dessert so bad but knew I couldn't eat it especially with all the yummy quick desserts in the park. As much as it pained me I passed on the creme brulee.

Dinner was sooo delicious! I loved the restaurant. Probably would have liked it a bit better with company ;) but it was still enjoyable. Loved the salmon.

What an awesome day of eating so far!

A little ways after dinner I staked out my spot for the fireworks. I was able to get right behind the gate where the VIPS are with my tripod.

I decided to check Facebook and saw Brenda posted a picture from The Plaza Inn!! I didn't tell anyone I was coming but I left her a message that I was in Disneyland. Next thing I knew, they come wading in to the sea of people to say hi! I was so happy to see them. They said they were going to stay for the fireworks so I told them I would meet up with them in that same area after the crowds left.

Then, I preceded to get the best fireworks pictures ever. I loved them.

Here was my view. There was a blocked off section in that space where VIPs go but there was barely anyone in there so I really did have an awesome unblocked view.

Just Walt, Mickey, and the fireworks. I just love the statue's silhouette.

While the fireworks aren't as spectacular as WDWs, they are still so pretty here. Especially when you have my view!

My first day at Disneyland was a success! I had so much fun, especially with Brenda, Michael, and Emily!

Love your review... I love getting an out of towner's view on Disneyland. I'm looking forward to reading more.

Wonderful photos of the fireworks Rachel
I too had a solo dinner at Blue Bayou and it was yummy
Your Salmon looks delicious :-)

Glad you enjoyed BB! I love the atmosphere in there. My baby and I might be going next month to DL if my husband attends this class nearby for work and would love to indulge in lunch there! I am glad you were able to meet up with those guys, we love hanging out with them :)

Hi! I have been off the boards for a long while, but I was just perusing the dining thread and saw your review! I was so happy to see you made it to Cali! So far I am loving your Cali pictures! How awesome that you took the time to go see the studios.

It is too funny that you remarked about how good the traffic was. I have spent 3 hours going 15 miles in So Cal...obviously that is the sign of someone who doesn't know how to let go of plans, because when you sit that long on a freeway, you probably really should just exit.

Can't wait to read the rest of your reviews! :)

Just finished reading your reviews! You are so right about that Hungry Bear cupcake! Best cupcake ever!

We were there for 4th of July once, and it was too too crowded. I also didn't think the 4th of July fireworks were as good as the regular DL displays.

I loved reading from your perspective since you go to WDW so much. It's really cool that you got to return to DL for a couple more days. Glad you finally made it out there and had such a nice time.

Thanks for posting all the pictures.

That is one awesome picture!!!
Thank you so much!
Love your review... I love getting an out of towner's view on Disneyland. I'm looking forward to reading more.
Thanks for reading! I do hope to go back to Disneyland, but it looks like it won't be for a while now.
Your fireworks pictures are incredible! Looks like you had a great time on your work trip too.
Thanks!! :)
Wonderful photos of the fireworks Rachel
I too had a solo dinner at Blue Bayou and it was yummy
Your Salmon looks delicious :-)
It was so delicious. I want it again. Yum!
Glad you enjoyed BB! I love the atmosphere in there. My baby and I might be going next month to DL if my husband attends this class nearby for work and would love to indulge in lunch there! I am glad you were able to meet up with those guys, we love hanging out with them :)
They are awesome. I hope we can see them again soon.
Hi! I have been off the boards for a long while, but I was just perusing the dining thread and saw your review! I was so happy to see you made it to Cali! So far I am loving your Cali pictures! How awesome that you took the time to go see the studios.

It is too funny that you remarked about how good the traffic was. I have spent 3 hours going 15 miles in So Cal...obviously that is the sign of someone who doesn't know how to let go of plans, because when you sit that long on a freeway, you probably really should just exit.

Can't wait to read the rest of your reviews! :)
Yikes. That is a long time. I don't know if it is because we are traffic every day or what at home but it wasn't that bad. Maybe we just left at really good times. Plus, it was a holiday? Maybe that changes things.
Just finished reading your reviews! You are so right about that Hungry Bear cupcake! Best cupcake ever!

We were there for 4th of July once, and it was too too crowded. I also didn't think the 4th of July fireworks were as good as the regular DL displays.

I loved reading from your perspective since you go to WDW so much. It's really cool that you got to return to DL for a couple more days. Glad you finally made it out there and had such a nice time.

Thanks for posting all the pictures.
It was very crowded that is for sure. Interesting about the 4th of July fireworks. I did see both. I did like the normal ones better.

I have some exciting news to share!

Corey and I got engaged last week!

We are so excited and tentatively planning a Disney wedding for Dec of this year! I can't wait!

Congratulations----You are a beautiful couple. Can't wait to hear about the planning and then the Wedding ---Love to you both Patty , a long time lurker.

I have some exciting news to share!

Corey and I got engaged last week!

We are so excited and tentatively planning a Disney wedding for Dec of this year! I can't wait!

Congratulations! So exciting! I hope you'll post all the details of planning a WDW wedding and then of course the wedding itself!

I finally just realized your title is referencing a song from Frozen. I'm a little slow but I just figured it out. :thumbsup2

Congrats! That's great news.

Enjoy the engagement and wedding planning - it can be very fun!

Congratulations----You are a beautiful couple. Can't wait to hear about the planning and then the Wedding ---Love to you both Patty , a long time lurker.
Thanks so much!
Congrats to you! I follow you on Instagram via Mrs Jabead. The ring is beautiful!
Oh thank you! I love having a ring!
Congratulations! So exciting! I hope you'll post all the details of planning a WDW wedding and then of course the wedding itself!

I finally just realized your title is referencing a song from Frozen. I'm a little slow but I just figured it out. :thumbsup2
Thanks! Hopefully I will be able to. I have been bad about the boards lately
Congrats! That's great news.

Enjoy the engagement and wedding planning - it can be very fun!
Thank you!! :)

The next day I went to CA to get into the park but didn't realize that it didn't open until 9! I thought it was 8.

So I went to Storytellers Cafe to see if they could squeeze me in.

They, of course, could, so that is where I ate.

The food wasn't very good. I mean, it was fun, but not anything special. There wasn't anything unique or special on the menu.

However, the real fun was with the characters! They came around at least twice and they were rare characters so I loved it!

Meeko was my favorite!

This day was pretty boring food wise but my cousin Kristen actually met up with me, so that was fun. She lives in San Diego.

I also drew Mickey and Olaf. I liked Mickey, Olaf not so much. I loved their animation studio here. The music with the walls of movies was great!

For lunch we had Hungry Bear again. I loved the cupcake again, but the sandwich was still blah for me.

We also met princesses.

We went on Splash Mountain and I am not kidding, I got the most soaked ever on any splash mountain ride. It was horrible.

For dinner I had Bengal BBQ.

This day was basically a repeat of Corey and my Disneyland day.

That night I watched World of Color after saying good bye to my cousin. Let me tell you, the front row is where you need to be! Watching it this time with all these people in front made me realize how much better it is in the front row.

And that is my brief food report for Disneyland part two. Not sure when I will be back to Disneyland but we are looking forward to it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter