For the first time in forever...I'm not in WDW! July 2014 Dland DR; UD 12/16

I've been reading along .... Love your pictures and your both so adorable! So happy for you that you'll be returning back to Disneyland so soon : ) You should find the parks much less crowded overall since you went during the 4th of July this last time, but like previously mentioned us Southern Californian mostly go to the parks in the evening and not many locals are rope drop peeps. We now live in Utah and just got back a few weeks ago from a 2 week California Disneyland trip and as always parks were less crowded until the evening. I love WDW it's soooo amazing but Disneyland has had my heart since my first visit in 1963 : )
Enjoy your return trip and safe travels!

I've been reading along .... Love your pictures and your both so adorable! So happy for you that you'll be returning back to Disneyland so soon : ) You should find the parks much less crowded overall since you went during the 4th of July this last time, but like previously mentioned us Southern Californian mostly go to the parks in the evening and not many locals are rope drop peeps.

Maybe not rope drops, but a lot are weekend peeps. So, I agree less crowded, but still busy. Have a blast, and for Radiator Springs, use single rider. My husband and I were there on a Saturday, and we waited about 10 minutes in single rider. Standby was at least an hour.

Maybe not rope drops, but a lot are weekend peeps. So, I agree less crowded, but still busy. Have a blast, and for Radiator Springs, use single rider. My husband and I were there on a Saturday, and we waited about 10 minutes in single rider. Standby was at least an hour.

Thanks I didn't know we should critic others posts when writing to the the original poster ... But thanks for clearing that up : )

Thanks I didn't know we should critic others posts when writing to the the original poster ... But thanks for clearing that up : )

Sorry not trying to critique. My experience on weekends is that it's always crowded. No offense intended.

Enjoy DK, it's my favorite :)

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
Thank you!
Hooray!! Nothing better than booking a flight on work's dime!!

Enjoy your bonus visit to DL!
Agree about that!
Great report so far!! I love hearing other people's accounts of DLR. I am one of those locals (live 15 minutes from the parks & yes, an AP holder :thumbsup2 ). Next time you come out, I highly recommend Tommy's burgers (chili on EVERYTHING) and the perfect "after party" food and the crack dog cart outside of Plaza Inn on Main Street in Disneyland. :thumbsup2
Thanks so much for joining! I will have to look that burger place up! Sounds like something we would like. I have heard about the corn dog cart!

Hope you have a great weekend trip to Disneyland, Rachel!! I'll look forward to hearing all about it. :thumbsup2
Thanks Barb!! :) :)
I've been reading along .... Love your pictures and your both so adorable! So happy for you that you'll be returning back to Disneyland so soon : ) You should find the parks much less crowded overall since you went during the 4th of July this last time, but like previously mentioned us Southern Californian mostly go to the parks in the evening and not many locals are rope drop peeps. We now live in Utah and just got back a few weeks ago from a 2 week California Disneyland trip and as always parks were less crowded until the evening. I love WDW it's soooo amazing but Disneyland has had my heart since my first visit in 1963 : )
Aw thank you!I am excited about returning but sad I have to leave Corey alone. I will definitely try to get as much done as possible throughout the day. I won't have a lot of time but hopefully I can do some fun stuff.

Thanks! Will definitely try to utilize single rider as much as possible.

This morning was the 4th of July and we were sure happy to be in a disney park again! I posted on facebook a picture and that there was no better place to be on the 4th than a disney park.

For breakfast I stopped at the Starbucks to get an iced white mocha. The Sbux here is called Fiddler, Fifler, and Practical Cafe.

Loved this newspaper!

After this we headed to ride Radiator Springs Racers, which was amazing!!

We also went on the Mickey's Fun Wheel! We stuck to a non swinging one which I hear is a good choice.

Lunch today was at Carthay Circle! I was super excited about this.

Our reservations were at 12 and we got there a little early but that was no problem. The restaurant was pretty empty. We were led upstairs to the middle room.

It was absolutely gorgeous. The ceiling was so beautiful.

We started off with the bread. This wasn't very good. It was very hard.

We chose not to do the World of Color menu because we really wanted to get the Carthay Circle signature biscuits.

Carthay Signature Fried Biscuits
Stuffed with White Cheddar, Bacon, and Jalapeño with Apricot Honey Butter

These were amazing. Seriously, these things were sooo sinful but soo good! I didn't think I would like the apricot honey butter but it grew on me with the cold creamy sweet honey butter on the piping hot roll! The inside of the biscuit was soo good and cheesy!

For my entree I ordered the

Chicken and Spinach Ravioli
Summer Corn Broth, Crimini Mushrooms, and Applewood Bacon
$32.00

This was pretty good except for it being a bit too salty. The corn was yummy mixed in there with the mushrooms and the bacon. It was a solid choice.

Corey got his old standby the cheeseburger.

Carthay 8-oz Angus Burger
Cheddar Cheese, Pepper Bacon, and Grilled Onions served with French Fries and House-made Pickles
$22.00

We told the server he didn't want onions but it came out with onions so they had to remake it. It didn't take too long though. He ended up loving his burger! Great choice for him.

Of course we were having dessert so we ordered the

Valrhona Milk Chocolate Crème Brûlée Tart
Fresh Marinated Raspberries and Chocolate Sauce
$13.00

This was good but the tart was a bit too crunchy for me. The milk chocolate creme brulee part was delicious with the raspberries!

We had a great meal at one of the prettiest restaurants I have ever been in!

I especially love this picture

Beautiful stairs heading down.

After this we headed to ride Radiator Springs Racers, which was amazing!

Lunch today was at Carthay Circle! I was super excited about this.

We chose not to do the World of Color menu because we really wanted to get the Carthay Circle signature biscuits.

Carthay Signature Fried Biscuits
Stuffed with White Cheddar, Bacon, and Jalapeño with Apricot Honey Butter

These were amazing. Seriously, these things were sooo sinful but soo good! I didn't think I would like the apricot honey butter but it grew on me with the cold creamy sweet honey butter on the piping hot roll! The inside of the biscuit was soo good and cheesy!

We had lunch there last fall and thought it was great. I totally agree on the Biscuits!

We loved Radiator Springs, too! I think it's better than it's cousin Test Track, probably because the race part is longer.

We had lunch there last fall and thought it was great. I totally agree on the Biscuits!

We loved Radiator Springs, too! I think it's better than it's cousin Test Track, probably because the race part is longer.

I do too. I like that it is actually disney themed!

After lunch we decided to head to Disneyland to take a picture with Captain America since Corey was wearing a Captain America shirt.

Look! Disneyland right across the way from California Adventure! We will totally miss that at WDW.

I really love the entrance to Disneyland.

We took the railroad to the Tomorrowland entrance so we could head into Innoventions. It is so weird that there is an Innoventions in Disneyland.

The wait to meet Captain America was crazy. I think we waited 50-60 minutes.

I also got my picture taken with "Iron Man". I wish that a real Iron Man met here!

Once we were done with this we headed out of the parks and headed to go see the disneyland hotel. That is actually a long walk to the Disneyland hotel! Our hotel was much closer.

Once I passed under the Disneyland Hotel sign I finally felt like I was at a Disney resort. I felt like I was in WDW and I loved that because the hotels are one of my favorite parts of WDW.

We met Goofy in the lobby!! That was amazing! That would totally not happen at WDW.

Outside of the hotel I loved the Mickey and Minnie statues.

We needed time to cool off so we went to Trader Sam's which was one of my must dos! We sat at the bar and had a funny server.

I was pretty bummed that you couldn't drink out of the cool glasses unless you bought it. At a place here you just have a hold on the glasses so if you don't return it you pay for it. I wish Trader Sam's had that policy.

I got the shrunken zombie head.

Shrunken Zombie Head
Reserve and Aged Rums, Tropical Juices, Falernum and Cinnamon

Unfortunately, it was disgusting! I didn't like that at all!!! It tasted like cough syrup. I am not sure if it was just too strong for me or if it really was gross but I only had about 2 sips!

I liked the concept of Trader Sam's but I didn't like my drink. I actually don't think I would go back unless we stayed at the Disneyland hotel. It doesn't help that we have Psycho Suzi's in Minneapolis that has the best tiki drinks ever!

I actually felt tipsy from my two or three sips. I am a lightweight and the heat messed me up! I knew it would be too much in the heat too which is why I didn't drink any more.

When we went back to the parks we went to California Adventure for our fastpass.

Have I mentioned I love this ride? The storyline is top notch and i love the audioanimatronics.

After the ride we headed to the Kozy Kones for some treats! We both got churros, I got a Pear A Dice soda, and Corey got a Reds Apple Freeze.

I really thought I would like the Pear A Dice soda because it has Monin Desert Pear syrup but I didn't like it! It was too sweet with the full calorie Sprite.

However, the churros with the chocolate dipping sauce was delicious! so yummy but very filling! It is a lot in one serving. I liked how the dipping sauce had cinnamon in it.

Corey loved his apple freeze per usual!

This brings back so many memories of DL for me! Good thing we are going back in January.

It's too bad you didn't like your drink at Trader Sam's. I'm not sure I tried that one but there are some good ones on their menu.

I can't wait to go back! This time we are staying at the DL Hotel for the beginning of our trip and then ending at the Grand Californian on DVC points. I can't wait to stay at the DL Hotel! It is quite a bit of a walk compared to some of the hotels on Harbor where we stayed last trip though.

Thanks so much for sharing :thumbsup2

Enjoying your report! :) We went to DLR last summer (2013) and spent a few days in LA first. I think we did nearly all the same things as you.

Can't wait to read more.

I am feeling SO homesick.:goodvibes:

I grew up going to Disneyland and haven't been there since 2005! It is 'home' and we are going to hopefully be there next year!

There is a special magic when you stand on main street, looking at the firehouse knowing that upstairs Walt and his family and friends were able to watch the goings on of main street from their windows!! :woohoo:

The real honest to goodness American Indians, who had tee pees and did pow wows with the guests during the days!!

I love New Orleans square and remember the Monsanto house of the future, skull rock, the pirate ship which was actually a restaurant that sold tuna fish sandwiches, as well as Aunt Jemimas restaurant, where my 8 year old self KNEW I'd met the real Aunt Jemima!! My first ever Mickey pancake!! When she told me that she had made it just for me, I knew it was her for sure!!;):lmao:

I also lost my Mary Poppins hat on POTC on the second day it was open and it was played on the opening of Wonderful World of Disney in the opening montage every Sunday night for years. That was my first trip and I have been hooked ever since.

Sorry for the hijack but you brought these memories back!! Thank you!!!:goodvibes: I'm looking forward to more!!!

After riding Radiator Springs, we were heading to do some little rides to kill time before our dinner at Flo's.

We went on the Monsters Inc ride, which I loved!!! I think it might be one of my favorite dark rides ever!

Then we went on Ariel's ride. I can never remember the actual name of this ride! It felt so weird to load in that bright open loading area, when WDW's is dark!

Apparently, Disneyland just updated this ride and they added real hair at the end to Ariel and Prince Eric.

I personally still like the fake hair better.

Then we headed back to Carsland for dinner. But first, we wanted to take some pictures of the sun coming down.

One funny incident- we were watching the racing cars come by on the track and I was on my phone. We were leaning on a fence and there was a slant where the cactus were and I dropped my phone over the railing in the dirt!

It landed right by the cactus! I couldn't reach it unless one of us jumped. I didn't want to get in trouble for jumping so I ran to a CM and asked for help. The parade was coming so he said he couldn't help! After that Corey just ended up jumping the fence to get my phone.

Our dinner was going to be at Flo's V8 Cafe. We actually sat outside and it was a bit chilly with the sun setting.

We both got the turkey. Corey got the corn and I got pasta salad.

I really liked this meal. I think the gravy was a citrus gravy and it was good with the mashed potatoes. I actually really liked the pasta salad too. Corey's corn was pretty tasteless though.

For dessert, I got the apple cheddar pie.

I thought I would really like this because it is unique but I didn't like it. The cheddar was literally just shredded cheddar still in the form of shreds, it didn't melt or anything. It was just gross.

After dinner Corey went to Ghirardelli to get a sundae! It is weird that the Ghirardelli is in the park here!

We went back to Carsland to watch the light ceremony. That was pretty cool when they turned on all of the neon lights. This area is just totally different at night. It is awesome!

Next up World of Color!

Now onto our favorite memory of the trip! World of Color! We got the blue fastpass I think so we lined up where we were supposed to, by the jumping jellyfish. When they let us in we beelined for the front row where you get wet! We had a perfect view.

What was shocking is that this show, which was the 2nd show, was dead! There was barely anyone there.

I am soooo glad we sat in the front row wet section. Yes, my camera did get wet but I just wiped it off. It didn't get soaked just very misted.

This was honestly our favorite part of the trip. We loved this show and will miss it when we travel to Disney World in November. We were singing the song the rest of the trip and I was looking all over for a soundtrack, but I don't think they make it. Anyways, we loved this show.

Without further adieu, some photos!

I brought my Glow with the show ears from Fantasmic in WDW.

I really liked every segment but I think the Toy Story, Brave, and Pirates were my favorite. This brings back memories and I hope WDW brings something like this to Avatarland.

After riding Radiator Springs, we were heading to do some little rides to kill time before our dinner at Flo's.

We went on the Monsters Inc ride, which I loved!!! I think it might be one of my favorite dark rides ever!

I like that one too, but maybe it's because one of my best friends is in the ride.

Seriously.

He was a software developer at Pixar when the movie was made, and he played George (the monster with the pink sock), who makes an appearance in the ride.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter