For fun, why DL over WDW

dnlsmith

"I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing
We love 'em both I know, but with all WDW has to offer tell me why you like DL better.

I don't like Disneyland more per say, I just like it different. ;) In my analysis I will compare Disneyland and MK. :teacher:

I grew up in So Cal so Disneyland holds amazing childhood memories for me. It is also feels way more Walt to me than the Magic Kingdom. pixiedust: Other than the CoP and Country Bears, Disneyland has better attractions like the Tiki Room and Indy. POTC is far superior as is Space.

I could give equal reasons why I :lovestruc WDW.

I've only been to WDW once. The fact I remember next to nothing about it means a lot.

After my first trip to Disneyland I memorized every inch of the park and literally felt "homesick' the first few days after coming home.

Disneyland is where we've been as a family and that makes it special for us as well. Bigger is not always better IMO. I also feel its so much more do-able when you are traveling with small children. The closeness of it all is the best part.

That said, we are planning a trip to WDW for 2014 after we return to the U.S. In the meantime we'll be exploring Disneyland PARIS!

We visited WDW for the 1st time last Oct. ~ DLR will always be #1 for me.

1 ~ the weather, WDW was so hot & humid in early Oct. ~ it was miserable. S CA weather is much more tolerable even in mid summer, and far less rain.

2 ~ the ease of DLR - park hopping, getting from your hotel to the parks.

3 ~ I very much prefer DL over MK, but after the MK FL makeover we'll see.

The only thing S CA is missing IMO *San Diego has the animals* is Epcot's World Showcase and Expedition Everest. My DS would like to see the Matterhorn replaced by EE!

1. Much better weather in August when we go. Hate the humidity.

2. Much less expensive for the 6 of us.

3. Shorter travel time.

4. It is the original, not a knock off.

5. Family has no desire to go to WDW. I would like to, they do not and we do vacations as a family group.

6. Parks are close together, makes getting anywhere easier.

7. Surrounding area has a lot to offer other than Disney.

Can keep going, these are just some.

Jack

1. Much better weather in August when we go. Hate the humidity.

2. Much less expensive for the 6 of us.

3. Shorter travel time.

4. It is the original, not a knock off.

5. Family has no desire to go to WDW. I would like to, they do not and we do vacations as a family group.

6. Parks are close together, makes getting anywhere easier.

7. Surrounding area has a lot to offer other than Disney.

Can keep going, these are just some.

Jack

Pretty much agree with Jack & all the others above.

I'd add that at DLR one doesn't have to stand in those "fun" 20 minute bus lines........ waiting to take one of those "fun" 20 minute bus rides to the parks (or DTD). :rotfl:

& I'll re-iterate that DLR doesn't have that "fun" humidity that the "Disney in the Swamp" resort enjoys. ;)

:)

I've been to DLR dozens upon dozens of times over several decades. It's a 6 hour drive for me. I can priceline a 3 1/2 star offsite hotel such as the Hilton for $60 or less and then take the Anaheim Transit shuttle with very little wait to DLR or a quick 5 minute drive to Mickey's garage.

DL has far more theming and attention to detail than MK. It also has 30% more attractions than MK. DLR packs a ton into two parks.

The ability to park hop or go to DTD without catching a bus and using up a good part of the day.

That said we're off to WDW this September during the free dining. For $2100 we get 8 nights, 9 day park hopper tickets, lunches and dinners included, onsite hotel and transportation from airport for 4 adults. Tough to beat!! I love both resorts.

I also want to add that Disneyland has a much higher ratio of ride/attractions per square feet of park. I believe WDW has only 10% more attractions overall compared to DLR, and that's split up between four themeparks. I love the fact there is just so much packed into two parks rather than four.....more fun to have within a smaller area, and a much better use of my overall vacation time since I don't have to waste time waiting for and riding busses all over the place.

The one and only thing I miss at Disneyland Resort is Epcot (Epcot being my second favorite Disney park after Disneyland, which is my number one most favorite Disney park.) :thumbsup2

(Edited: Whoops, looks like Huff kinda beat me to the punch with Disneyland Resort packing so much more between their two parks. Oh well, it's a good point, so worth mentioning twice. Hahahaha!)

I've been to DLR dozens upon dozens of times over several decades. It's a 6 hour drive for me. I can priceline a 3 1/2 star offsite hotel such as the Hilton for $60 or less and then take the Anaheim Transit shuttle with very little wait to DLR or a quick 5 minute drive to Mickey's garage.

DL has far more theming and attention to detail than MK. It also has 30% more attractions than MK. DLR packs a ton into two parks.

The ability to park hop or go to DTD without catching a bus and using up a good part of the day.

That said we're off to WDW this September during the free dining. For $2100 we get 8 nights, 9 day park hopper tickets, lunches and dinners included, onsite hotel and transportation from airport for 4 adults. Tough to beat!! I love both resorts.
That is a GREAT deal! Where are you staying? Did you go through Dreams for that?:yay:

I would not say I prefer DLR to WDW, but I would say DLR exceeds WDW in some areas including:

1. Proximity - walking distance hotels, easy park hopping, rides more concentrated

2. Weather - less humidity, less rain and better weather year round and especially in the summer

3. Shows - the top ones at DLR are frankly better than the top ones at WDW - Remember Dreams Come True fireworks, Aladdin stage show and Fantasmic

:goodvibes

Disneyland is WAY more fun than WDW.

At WDW, it is hot and sweaty and you have to ride busses around. You hae to walk FOREVER inside the parks to go from ride to ride.

At Disneyland, the weather is nicer and the rides are closer together. You can ride 10 rides before lunch.

And then you can shop your way back to your hotel and take a nice swim.

1. It's the original
2. NO BUSES!!!!
3. Proximity and ease of getting from hotel to parks (again, no buses)
4. Can easily park hop
5. Our favorite rides at WDW are at MK, so we can find them at DL
6. Alice in Wonderland
7. It's a Small World
8. Casey Jr. Circus Train
9. Storybook Land Canal Boats
10. Bug's Land for my DD1
11. Orange Stinger
12. Mulholland Madness

DL best park in the US, Epcot second, AK third, MK or DCA 4th and DHS 4th.

DL is small and rich with atmosphere more than any other park.

DLR is compact and simple.
DLR is cheaper.
DLR weather is better than Orlando 355 days a year.
WDW better dining.
WDW better diversions.
WDW makes you feel like another world the whole time there.

But where I go is upto how much time I have, If I had 4 or less days DLR. If 5 or more WDW.

Well, this is all very interesting. I have never been to WDW but have been wanting to go when DD7 is a little older. With all that has been said though, I am not sure I should drop the cash to go now. We have had AP's the last 3 years and go to DLR and DCA pretty regularly. We are a 2 hour drive away, so it is easy to make a day trip out of it. We do occasionally spend some money on a hotel for a night or two. I wonder if I would rather spend the money on a Disney cruise instead maybe, keep hitting DLR, or is it worth it to at least do WDW once?

They have their different attributes, but here's a few of the advantages Disneyland has over Disney World (at least for me: )

-Much closer: Disneyland is only about a 2 1/2 hour nonstop flight from Seattle. Disney World can be anywhere from 8-12 hours away from here.

-Not quite as much of a commitment: If I go to Disney World again, I seriously doubt I'd spend less than a week (my first trip was 4 days, and was way too short and too rushed.) Disneyland, on the other hand, can easily be covered thoroughly in three days

-Much easier to get around: The other park is just a walk across the Esplanade away, rather than needing to take a monorail to get to a bus to get to another bus to get from one place to the other, often with the better part of an hour in transit time in between.

-The light in the window.

Thank you for all the responses, you all confirmed what I was thinking. I have been to DL about 10 times but not for the last 12 years so I am excited to hopefully go in Sept. We have been to WDW though a few times and ...

What I love about WDW

The restaurants
Epcot and the World Showcase
Animal Kingdom
The Hotels
Water Parks

What I loved about DL years ago

The more intimate feel and Disney Experience
Everything is right there, no buses
The weather

So since I havn't been in awhile I am excited to go back to what I first loved about Disney, the Magic Kingdom IS MAGIC there more so than the one in Florida. Not that I didn't love Florida but lets to Cali this time.

Because it's 90 miles from my house! :goodvibes

But really, because I could spend a few hours or a week there and still have a great time.

I've been dozens of times and there are still things I've never experienced. I try to do at least one new thing each time I go, and haven't run out yet!

I went to WDW twice as a little kid, and would like to go back someday, but Disneyland feels like home to me. :lovestruc

That is a GREAT deal! Where are you staying? Did you go through Dreams for that?:yay:

I use priceline after reviewing what people are bidding and what hotels people are getting on biddingfortravel or betterbidding. This past year I've stayed at the Hilton 4 times, Red Lion, Crowne Plaza, Holiday Inn or Marriot. All 3 1/2 star hotels and I've always been able to get them for $45-$60. Some do charge $10 or so for parking but I just figure that in when bidding on priceline.

Well, this is all very interesting. I have never been to WDW but have been wanting to go when DD7 is a little older. With all that has been said though, I am not sure I should drop the cash to go now. We have had AP's the last 3 years and go to DLR and DCA pretty regularly. We are a 2 hour drive away, so it is easy to make a day trip out of it. We do occasionally spend some money on a hotel for a night or two. I wonder if I would rather spend the money on a Disney cruise instead maybe, keep hitting DLR, or is it worth it to at least do WDW once?

If you have a week WDW. I wouldn't go for the cruise and not go to the parks for 4 or 5 days. Honestly I don't kow if I'll ever go on a cruise because when I think of going to FL I just can't take the days away from WDW.

Obviously it's more expensive of a trip, but Epcot and AK are almost totally different from DLR. Going to WDW once in your life is equivilent to going to DL once in your life.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter