"For 2,000+ Mile Round-Trip Drivers Only!" (Part V)

What time should I leave North New Jersey in order to avoid the traffic in DC and Richmond VA area?

What day of the week and time of day are you thinking of leaving?

If I recall correctly, the common wisdom was to avoid DC on weekdays between 6 am and 10 am, and then again from 3 pm to 7 pm. But weekends can have different patterns, and the time of year can affect weekend volume.

Personally I always tried to be passing DC around 5:30 am.

Last edited:
What is everyone’s strategy or recommendation for reserving a hotel? Do you wait to see how far you can drive and then check the apps for a reservation? Or do you reserve something just in case and then cancel at the last minute if necessary?
We will be traveling from upstate NY to Disney beginning of august with our toddler and I don’t want to be stuck without a hotel room! We’ll likely be traveling the inland route.

We travel from PA (via I-95) and for the last several trips we just booked our rooms along the way. However, we stop driving for the day by about 5 or 6:00 at the latest which makes it a little easier to get rooms because most people don't stop until a bit later in the evening. It also allows us plenty of time to continue traveling if we can't find a room right away. Once we're about finished driving for the day (we don't wait until we hit the point of exhaustion, we stop as soon as we feel like we're approaching our driving limit for the day), we pull off at an exit that has numerous hotels and then start checking various apps for rates and availability. We usually have no trouble finding a room like that. I think there were two times (out of probably 12 hotel nights over various trips) that we couldn't find rooms at the first exit we stopped at. In both of those cases we just checked the apps for rooms at the next exit and booked them right away so we knew we had them.

We used to always book a room ahead of time but once travel apps became popular we decided to start to "wing it" on the drive. Because we're flexible about what hotel chain we stay at (usually Choice hotels, or Hilton or Hilton properties) and where we stop for the night, this has worked well for us. In fact, we've gotten some pretty awesome rooms at very reasonable prices.

What is everyone’s strategy or recommendation for reserving a hotel? Do you wait to see how far you can drive and then check the apps for a reservation? Or do you reserve something just in case and then cancel at the last minute if necessary?
We will be traveling from upstate NY to Disney beginning of august with our toddler and I don’t want to be stuck without a hotel room! We’ll likely be traveling the inland route.

Definitely check the cancellation policies. It was convenient when you could cancel up till 6 PM of check-in day. But many require by midnight the day before now.

If you can’t find any with generous cancellation policies, the only alternatives are to book where you’d like to end up that day, or take your chances on locating a place on the road.

If you opt for the latter, I would suggest checking out possible stopping places ahead of time so you have the names and phone numbers of hotels with you. Get some for hotels in locations before and after where you hope to stop. This way if you decide you want to stop within say the next theee hours, figure where you will be then and start dialing, modifying your stopping point based on room availability.

When road tripping, we always book on the fly, unclear how far the drivers can make it, or how many stops will be necessary along the way. I did watch availability dwindle on our last drive, which was surprising to me. There was quite a bit of availability and at about 6pm the hotels in our target area started to dwindle, I finally booked something around 10pm because I got nervous. Disclaimer: This methodology absolutely failed over a holiday weekend before we had kids and we stayed in the world's worst Motel 6, and wished we had just slept in the back of the car.

We always book ahead of time for a few reasons. I like having a known stopping point so I can tell myself "X hours until we arrive". It also is one less thing to stress over on the drive down. This is particularly important for my wife since I'm the sole driver on our trips, which means she'd be responsible for finding and booking the hotel on the road and she's not crazy about that. And as a previous poster said, we also break down the trip into chunks. I do this for all of our road trips. For instance when we drive to Arizona from Wisconsin, I know I can make it about 14 hours in one stretch before I need to stop for the day. So I just pick major cities on the route until I find one around 13-14 hours.

Just made the round trip from the Philly area. Took 95 ways. Stopped at the Hampton Inn in Roanoke Rapids on the way down. Recommend because there is a Starbucks at that exit too!

On the way home we stopped at the Tru by Hilton in Rocky Mount. This chain was new to me and feels like a hip European hostel, not in a bad way. The rooms are new and clean but very loud. The place was also bumping at 1am and there was a huge line to check in. I would stay at the chain again but maybe not this particular one.

One thing I'll do differently next time on the way home is to make sure I'm in VA in time to use the express lanes north, they close at 10:30 AM

Wow, this thread is an incredible resource and motivator LOL. Some people's road journeys and frequencies of going are very impressive. I've only been twice as a child, and currently in beginning phases of planning out the roundtrip from Vail to Denver and then onwards to Orlando. Looks like it's about 1,800 miles/ 27 hours. We have a 2 year old and a 4 year old. The longest we could probably spend driving is 5-6 hours/day, which is just fine as this is going to be a "road trip" style vacation. Looking to take 3 weeks off work in August. 2 weeks driving back and forth and 1 week having fun at Disney.

Question:

Does anybody have any "must see" kid friendly destinations along the way from Colorado to Florida? My wife and I love hiking/outdoors, and the kids enjoy it also (though not for prolonged periods of time obviously)

Thanks y'all.

Hello everyone! How is everyone doing? 74 days to go till we spend a week at The Grand, theme park view. We are getting excited for our stay and the 10 mile drive to the resort. Lol I’m planning on making a driving trip back north sometime in August, have some things I have to get done.
We are still in temporary housing. Very long story but a few days before we settled on our house in Pa., which all went well, our realtor and great friend here in Florida was diagnosed with COVID. His wife and himself both ended up in icu and sad to say, his wife did not make it. He spent three weeks in the hospital, almost three weeks in a rehab and went home this past Friday. It is going to be a long road back for him, he has a lot of hurdles to overcome.
His story made national news if you happened to catch it. Any way, we are in a bit of a hold pattern here but will be back in the game very shortly.
I have been spending a lot of time at the Springs, morning walks. I hit the parks when available and we have been hitting every restaurant on property and sometimes more than once. Lol
I am looking forward to finding our own home and finding a job and getting back in the swing of things. I was not ready to retire. Lol
I went from going 100 percent full blast to stop. Lol
Now we are just waiting for Elsa to make her way past us.
so that’s what has been going on with us.
Happy driving everyone!!!!

Hello everyone! How is everyone doing? 74 days to go till we spend a week at The Grand, theme park view. We are getting excited for our stay and the 10 mile drive to the resort. Lol I’m planning on making a driving trip back north sometime in August, have some things I have to get done.
We are still in temporary housing. Very long story but a few days before we settled on our house in Pa., which all went well, our realtor and great friend here in Florida was diagnosed with COVID. His wife and himself both ended up in icu and sad to say, his wife did not make it. He spent three weeks in the hospital, almost three weeks in a rehab and went home this past Friday. It is going to be a long road back for him, he has a lot of hurdles to overcome.
His story made national news if you happened to catch it. Any way, we are in a bit of a hold pattern here but will be back in the game very shortly.
I have been spending a lot of time at the Springs, morning walks. I hit the parks when available and we have been hitting every restaurant on property and sometimes more than once. Lol
I am looking forward to finding our own home and finding a job and getting back in the swing of things. I was not ready to retire. Lol
So sorry to hear that about your realtor/friend and his wife. Prayers to the family. Sounds like you are still getting used to your new normal! Lol! Best of luck finding a home soon!

That’s terrible about your realtor. I did hear a story similar to that but not sure if it was the same one.
isn’t Disney hiring a lot of people?? That would be a good retirement job, right?
You are living the dream!!!
We will be there the end of July. Sounds kinda funny to say you’re staying at the GF when you’re only 10 miles away. But I get that you’re DVC. LOL

I'm so sorry to hear about your friends illness (and ongoing troubles) and the death of his wife. Maybe you being close by will help him both recover and cope with his loss.
Good luck with your house hunting and keep enjoying your time off!! Stay safe during Elsa. I'll be driving down your way later this year.

So sorry to hear that about your realtor/friend and his wife. Prayers to the family. Sounds like you are still getting used to your new normal! Lol! Best of luck finding a home soon!
Lol. I never in a million years thought I would miss going to work. Lol
Although I do go on property one way or another just about every day, Im bored.
It’s hard to explain. I miss hating mondays, I miss looking forward to Friday and the weekends. If I wasn’t here, I don’t know what I would do with myself.

That’s terrible about your realtor. I did hear a story similar to that but not sure if it was the same one.
isn’t Disney hiring a lot of people?? That would be a good retirement job, right?
You are living the dream!!!
We will be there the end of July. Sounds kinda funny to say you’re staying at the GF when you’re only 10 miles away. But I get that you’re DVC. LOL
He was on the local news down here and that night a friend from Pa. said he was on, I think it was ABC nightly news. Disney is hiring a lot of restaurant people, housekeeping. They are looking for bus drivers but I can’t get a Florida driver’s license till I get a permanent address. We are paying cash at the Grand lol, That trip was planned before we moved and it was supposed to be at the Contemporary. With all the construction they moved us to the Grand. I’m building up my points so next year, hopefully things will calm down a bit, we can stay for long weekends. Being so close now, its kind of weird staying on property, it’s just as easy driving home. Lol
Give a yell when you get down here, we can meet up for a quick hello if you want to.
The Spring stores are all hiring also. I’ve been kicking around the idea of being a TSO with TSA at the Orlando airport. Half decent benifits and I could go full or part time. But kind of holding off till we find a house. With my wife and daughter both working from home, we are not tied down a small area to look for a house, we can expand our landing zone.
Ill keep you posted.

I'm so sorry to hear about your friends illness (and ongoing troubles) and the death of his wife. Maybe you being close by will help him both recover and cope with his loss.
Good luck with your house hunting and keep enjoying your time off!! Stay safe during Elsa. I'll be driving down your way later this year.
Thank you! Thankfully Elsa is looking like just another summer day around here. Lol
We had a pretty good storm this afternoon but nothing to do with Elsa and we get those everyday around here. THIS, is why I wanted to live near Orlando. When we were down during Wilma and Erma, the Orlando area is where all the electric trucks were staged.

He was on the local news down here and that night a friend from Pa. said he was on, I think it was ABC nightly news. Disney is hiring a lot of restaurant people, housekeeping. They are looking for bus drivers but I can’t get a Florida driver’s license till I get a permanent address. We are paying cash at the Grand lol, That trip was planned before we moved and it was supposed to be at the Contemporary. With all the construction they moved us to the Grand. I’m building up my points so next year, hopefully things will calm down a bit, we can stay for long weekends. Being so close now, its kind of weird staying on property, it’s just as easy driving home. Lol
Give a yell when you get down here, we can meet up for a quick hello if you want to.
The Spring stores are all hiring also. I’ve been kicking around the idea of being a TSO with TSA at the Orlando airport. Half decent benifits and I could go full or part time. But kind of holding off till we find a house. With my wife and daughter both working from home, we are not tied down a small area to look for a house, we can expand our landing zone.
Ill keep you posted.
I’ll message you when we’re down.

Wow, this thread is an incredible resource and motivator LOL. Some people's road journeys and frequencies of going are very impressive. I've only been twice as a child, and currently in beginning phases of planning out the roundtrip from Vail to Denver and then onwards to Orlando. Looks like it's about 1,800 miles/ 27 hours. We have a 2 year old and a 4 year old. The longest we could probably spend driving is 5-6 hours/day, which is just fine as this is going to be a "road trip" style vacation. Looking to take 3 weeks off work in August. 2 weeks driving back and forth and 1 week having fun at Disney.

Question:

Does anybody have any "must see" kid friendly destinations along the way from Colorado to Florida? My wife and I love hiking/outdoors, and the kids enjoy it also (though not for prolonged periods of time obviously)

Thanks y'all.

No info to give you but want to say you are brave! But I bet the road trip will be fun. So glad you realize at the outset that you won't be on the road all day, day after day. Keep us updated on your plans.

Question:

Thanks y'all.
Welcome to the thread! We don't have any kids, so we tend to power through the drive with just stops for gas, food, and bathroom breaks. The one other stop we make every time is Ellis Brothers Pecans in Vienna, GA, about 2 hours south of Atlanta. They have a decent sized store with various covered pecans (chocolate covered, praline, etc.) to sample (at least they did have samples pre-COVID) and of course buy, along with other things like salsas, BBQ sauces, pecan pies and other baked goods, jellies and jams, and so on. We normally get a few varieties of candied and plain pecans and a few other items to snack on for the week and enjoy when we get home.

Oh, and of course the Florida Welcome Center is a must stop for us as well. They used to have free OJ and grapefruit juice, then they stopped offering it, but I think I read that it returned last July. There's also a "Welcome To Florida" sign and a big dolphin statute that you can get your picture in front of, which can also provide the added bonus of preparing you to stand in lines waiting for them. At least, the one on I-75 has those things. Not sure about the others. Enjoy! Sounds like you have a great leisurely trip planned!

Just came home from our 3rd road trip to WDW from North NJ. This time was our first time driving a Tesla Model 3 Long Range down to WDW. Here was our schedule:

Day 1:
Left North NJ around 10:30pm. In the past we left by 5am and would get stuck between DC and Richmond VA in the traffic. Arrived at Pooler GA the next day around 3pm for the night. Stayed at Embassy Hotel (Not recommending that place. Bad front desk who overcharged our credit card.) Savannah Airport has the lowest charging rate.

Day 2:
Left Pooler around 8am. Arrived at Kissimmi just before 2pm.

Departure Day:
Left WDW around 8am and drove over night back to North NJ. We only stopped to charge the car. We also stopped at the Biden Welcoming Center in DE for 1.5 hour to nap in the car due to exhaustion. Got home around 8am the next day

Difference between driving a hybrid SUV vs. EV on a road trip:
Although it took more time to charge the vehicle than to fill up the gas tank, we didn't feel as exhausted as before. We would stop about every 2-2.5 hours to charge our car. The time that took to charge the car was about 20-30 minutes each time. Enough for us to take bathroom breaks, get food, and stretch. What bothered us the most was the seats of Tesla. Those seats are so hard and hurt our tushes.

This entire road trip cost us about $120 to charge/fuel the car. The Embassy Hotel at Kissimmi has free Tesla Destination Charging station which saved us about $12-$15.

Question:

Thanks y'all.

Howdy almost neighbor! I live in the Tulsa area, and we frequently drive down. We tend to do 400 miles per day (on average) and typically stay in the Memphis TN area and either Marianna FL or Dothan AL before heading on to WDW. (And yes - we book ahead for every trip, but we book directly with each hotel; we are "regulars" at several hotels, and I require rooms with a roll-in shower that will be friendly for my mobility issues).

If you stop through Tulsa, I can highly recommend the new park on Riverside Drive for the kiddos; The Gathering Place has won awards and gets high praise from local families with children of all ages. Overnight in Tulsa, I would stay in Broken Arrow to avoid rush traffic; the Rose District there is a charming slice of their old downtown that the adults will enjoy - a great place to stroll around in the evenings.

All along the route we take, there are "Giant" things to look at; several giant animal statues, a water tower painted like a giant peach, even a statue of a giant peanut!

(Oh, so many signs for boiled p-nuts! LOL) and we always keep a lookout for our first "wild palms" - those are palm trees that are not deliberately planted as landscaping, and they have become a family tradition! As my mama used to say, there are parts of this trip that have "a big case of the scenics", so keep a camera handy!

From Tulsa - take the Muskogee Turnpike East/South to I-40, then go east to Memphis, (to avoid rush hour the next morning, stay in Southaven MS, or Olive Branch MS) then it's 22 east across Mississippi... One note here: You may be tempted to stop at the Starbucks that *appears* nearest the highway in Tupleo - be warned, it's a 30 minute detour off the interstate to get to it, because of how they designed the exits. You can see the highway from the Starbucks, but you can't get there from here! It's a quick 10 minutes back on to the highway though... LOL ...on to Birmingham AL where you will follow 65 south to Montgomery (say it like a native: "MONT-gom-rhee") and then State road 231 down through Troy to Dothan; you *can* go east here to Bainbridge GA, but rooms there are often hard to find on the fly, especially since Hurricane Micheal flattened them a few years ago. Better luck in Dothan AL (Holiday Inn Express or TownPlace Suites), or Marianna, FL (Fairfield Inn & Suites) where we will pick up I-10 east, cross into the Eastern time zone, and then pass through Tallahassee. If you want a fun stop in Tallahassee proper, look for Lofty Pursuits - they are just off the exit of I-10, and I can highly recommend the old-fashioned cherry phosphate! (Also, their YouTube channel is just cool to watch LOL)

After Tallahassee, you are not far now - take 75 south, and then catch State 91- the turnpike - to 427 South (also a toll road). Last exit for us is Western Way... and (pre-COVID, pre-50th repaint) you get this:

That's *our* trip, from Tulsa to WDW - all in all, it's exactly 1201 miles from our front door to POFQ.

Sorry I don't have more kidlet-friendly ideas for you; there are (of course) tons of places that will happily separate you from your money along the way, but there just aren't a lot of playgrounds or even attractions that I think might be interesting to littles along the way. Having said that, I think I can find my (now adult) daughter's old Sesame Street cassette tape that we used to listen to non-stop in the minivan - I still know all the words to "Honker Ducky Dinger Jamboree" and "Ten Tiny Turtles"!!!

I hope y'all have a great trip - be sure to keep an ice chest in the car with lots of cold water; it gets *hot* that time of year, and I promise, you'll be glad you have it! (pro tip: fill up the ice chest every morning when you fill up with gas; get one with a drain plug for ease, and if you use hotel ice, don't use it for anything but keeping stuff cold!)

Okay I need some more advice about our route. We are driving from upstate NY but really we live on the border of NY/PA. The plan is to take 81-95 all the way down to Disney. Here is my initial plan but I’m unsure about the plan for our first day so I’d love feedback:
Day 1 (sunday) - reach Fredericksburg VA 6.5 hours
Day 2 - reach Savannah GA 8 hours
Day 3 - reach Disney 4.5 hours

Our first day we will be leaving home around noon-1pm and I’m unsure if we should try to make it farther or stop for the night before the DC chaos and wake up early Monday morning to try to miss the traffic. And I don’t know if Fredericksburg is a good place to stop or if it’s too busy. Thoughts?

ETA we cannot leave any earlier on our first day, Sunday.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter