"For 2,000+ Mile Round-Trip Drivers Only!" (Part V)

Well, drive six in 11 weeks starts tomorrow morning!!!! That’s right around 14,000 miles. (Almost like what I use to drive for work lol)
Leaving central Florida around 3am, stopping overnight in Roanoke Va.
Driving to the Poconos, load the van and head back to Roanoke for the night.
Leave Roanoke 3am Wednesday morning and arrive back home in central Florida Wednesday afternoon.
The police dogs are going to miss me at Disney Springs for a few days. My day usually starts out by going for the mail, stop at the Springs and do my laps.
Every few days I’ll stop at Ghiradellis for a chocolate shake but don’t tell my wife. Lol I like walking around the springs when they open, not to many people yet. I’m gonna miss the palm trees that’s for sure.
I’ll keep you posted on the drive.

We are driving sunday from Dallas to South Florida... its asking me to pick a route..
Toll route through central Florida ( my favorite because I get to be in orlando) or add 10 mins no tolls down i95 from Jacksonville... sadly this is most likely the route to choose because no tolls for two cars and a uhaul trailer.

We are driving sunday from Dallas to South Florida... its asking me to pick a route..
Toll route through central Florida ( my favorite because I get to be in orlando) or add 10 mins no tolls down i95 from Jacksonville... sadly this is most likely the route to choose because no tolls for two cars and a uhaul trailer.
Is "no tolls" worth the trade-off in the amount of traffic you are more likely to encounter coming via Jacksonville? I think I'd rather get the SunPass and be done with it.

Last edited:
Is "no tolls" worth the trade-off in the amount of traffic you are more likely to encounter coming via Jackisonville? I think I'd rather get the SunPass and be done with it.
Had no trouble today, blew right through Orlando and Jax at 70mph. No traffic.
(it was 2:45am in Orlando and about 5am in Jax ) lol.
My sun pass has taken a beating the last few months. Now all three cars have them.

ok, so I made this post yesterday and never hit the post button so the days are a bit off. Lol. I’m back home in Florida. Left Florida on Monday, drove to Roanoke. Left Roanoke Tuesday at 2:30am and got to Saylorsburg Pa at 8:30 am. Loaded the van, went to the bank, hit the car wash and back on the road. Drove back to the hotel in Roanoke. Left Roanoke this morning at 3am and made real good time till I95 exit 279, two lanes blocked due to a wreck. Held me up an hour and a half but it was a beautiful day and I had no plans anyway. Glad to be back in Florida!!! I never realized how bad Pa roads are till you drive around Florida for a month.
also, if you are heading south in the next few days, Va, Nc, Sc, Ga….. I’ve never seen so many state troopers in all my life. Five, six cruisers lined up with one trooper out of the car using radar. I set my cruise control for the first time in five years. Lol. Got the tunes going and it’s way to easy to get way above the speed limit.
Now, last leg of the move. Saturday my wife and I fly back to Pa. My mother in law is picking us up at the airport, driving me to saylorsburg to get our daughters car and we are staying at the MIL Saturday night. My wife is staying for the week to visit and flying home next Saturday. I’m jumping in our daughters car Sunday morning at 3am and heading home.
I love the drive. I’m definitely going to miss it.

So, this coming sundays drive is going to be a total of 6 round trips in 12 weeks.
For me that’s about 14,250 miles. I enjoyed them all. I’ve been driving for a living for over 30 years, I was in sales. I really loved being back on the road. I really don’t know what I’m going to do now that everything has been moved to Florida. I didn’t sleep much or eat very much while on the road as usual. All the trips I was blessed with great weather.
For me, there just isn’t much better than driving down the highway early morning, very little on the road and watching day break start. Eventually watching the sun come up.
Pulling into rest stops, getting gas. Seeing other road warrior.
I only regret one thing over the last two months moving down here, that we didn’t do it 30 years ago. Everything is starting to open up again here and people getting back to work and we are really looking forward to the months ahead.

Does anyone have experience using the Uni pass on the inland route from NY to Florida? We have the EZ pass but it seems confusing as to where it will be accepted. I suppose we can take it along and use it if we need to. But just looking for Uni pass experiences. Thanks!

Does anyone have experience using the Uni pass on the inland route from NY to Florida?
Can't answer the specific question but wondering if you would hit any tolls at all on that route? When I used to live in MA I would encounter tolls only in MA & NY on our way using that inland route. At least that's all I recall. What roads specifically are you going to take?

Can't answer the specific question but wondering if you would hit any tolls at all on that route? When I used to live in MA I would encounter tolls only in MA & NY on our way using that inland route. At least that's all I recall. What roads specifically are you going to take?
Oh good question that I never even considered haha. We’d be taking 81-77-95 and Google maps does say no tolls so I guess that answers my question haha. But I guess if we decide to take 95 most of the way then I’d need it.

Oh good question that I never even considered haha. We’d be taking 81-77-95 and Google maps does say no tolls so I guess that answers my question haha. But I guess if we decide to take 95 most of the way then I’d need it.
Great. So the only issue you might encounter is if you are going to do much driving around Orlando. There are a lot of toll roads you might encounter if heading somewhere besides WDW, Universal or Sea World.

Great. So the only issue you might encounter is if you are going to do much driving around Orlando. There are a lot of toll roads you might encounter if heading somewhere besides WDW, Universal or Sea World.
We won’t be doing a lot of driving other than maybe a grocery store visit or two. And we’ll be staying on Disney property so driving to the parks.

Hi everybody!

Got Sirius XM ?
Listen Free Event
May 26- June 8
Just push the button in your car...

siriusxm.com/listen1
up to date channel guide listings

Last edited:
Better add 26 in there. It is 81-77-26-95. And no tolls (we haven't driven since 2015, but I don't think that any tolls have been added). We do take 417 off of 95 in the Sanford area to avoid I-4, and that is a toll road. I gladly pay to avoid I-4!

Last edited:
I work in Orlando, live in Virginia and have had EZ Pass from NY for over 30 years. EZ Pass does work on some roads in Orlando. I also have Sun Pass and didn't know 408 and parts of 417 in Central Florida took EZ Pass until my EZ Pass account was used and I was doubled billed for a month. But saw this in the Tampa Bay Times yesterday. "Florida’s Turnpike Enterprise also announced that E-ZPass customers in other states will be able to use their transponders along the nearly 900 miles of toll roads in Florida." Here is link to article. https://www.tampabay.com/news/flori...e-partnership-with-e-zpass-used-in-18-states/.

Does anyone have experience using the Uni pass on the inland route from NY to Florida? We have the EZ pass but it seems confusing as to where it will be accepted. I suppose we can take it along and use it if we need to. But just looking for Uni pass experiences. Thanks!
The only place I use my SunPass is I use the express lanes in Charlotte Nc. ( which you don’t have to take the express lanes)
And I use 417 in Florida around Orlando if it’s between 6am and 9pm.
other than that, there is no tolls.
If you happen to jump in the express lanes from start to finish and they use your plate, on I77 in Charlotte, it’s about $10. ( pending on traffic)
I’m going that way tomorrow.

Erin1715 said she had an EZ Pass, so she doesn't have to worry about paying by plate. Around Central Florida, I set my navigation to yes for tolls as I have sat for over 2 hours on I-4 at times. I work in East Orlando, so 408, 417 and 528 (airport or cruise ships) are my roads of choice and all are tolls, but worth it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter