"For 2,000+ Mile Round-Trip Drivers Only!" (IV)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know what caused the traffic because we never saw evidence of an accident or construction. The road was soaked though when we finally got moving and later we went through some horrendous downpours so maybe that's what caused it. That was the only real traffic we hit and it was on 95.

Good to hear (I guess), driving from Toronto to SSR next weekend, keeping an eye on construction and traffics, fingers crossed for clear sailing all the way.

Definitely subscribing for some good tips from you seasoned drivers!

We're planning a about 2 1/2 weeks in FL next May and the idea of paying for airfare + rental car is making me twitch. (Plus not having to worry about getting sand in a rental during our days at Daytona Beach will be a plus!)

We live in a suburb just north of Kansas City, MO, so it looks like we'll run the St. Louis/Nashville/Chattanooga/Atlanta gauntlet along the way. Oh the joys...

We'll be driving this route 1 week from today! :cool1:

So my family will be driving straight through to Disney from CT...we are about 2 hours, maybe a little less to the GW or Tappan Zee. Anyhow, we need to be at AKL around 1pm or so the next day. I want to leave our house around 1:30, stop for dinner somewhere before DC...are we crazy to leave at this time? Ideally we would just leave after dinner but that would put us there too late on the 14th. We are driving on a Tuesday! The NJ turnpike I'm sure will have some traffic but hoping to be through NYC before rush hour and hit DC after rush hour. Any help would be greatly appreciated! We do plan on driving in shifts and it will be myself, DH and 3 DDS ages 7,8,9 who are super travelers!

So my family will be driving straight through to Disney from CT...we are about 2 hours, maybe a little less to the GW or Tappan Zee. Anyhow, we need to be at AKL around 1pm or so the next day. I want to leave our house around 1:30, stop for dinner somewhere before DC...are we crazy to leave at this time? Ideally we would just leave after dinner but that would put us there too late on the 14th. We are driving on a Tuesday! The NJ turnpike I'm sure will have some traffic but hoping to be through NYC before rush hour and hit DC after rush hour. Any help would be greatly appreciated! We do plan on driving in shifts and it will be myself, DH and 3 DDS ages 7,8,9 who are super travelers!

We considered driving through the night from southern CT but we have some extra time so we are stopping. I can't picture myself staying awake in the dark all night or sleeping while husband is driving In the dark all night. Also, our kids will never let us nap/rest once we reach WDW. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

In my opinion it’s a mistake to be heading towards DC during rush hour. I did went on Google maps and got directions from the Tappan Zee to Orlando going the normal 95 route that will take you through DC and it is showing 16 hours / 1099 miles. I strongly suggest you take the 287/78/81/77/26/95 route. That route is showing 17.25 hours /1195 miles but I can almost guarantee you that even though it’s longer both miles and hours wise, it will be less time driving than taking 95 all the way down. Because you’re leaving during the day, you’re sure to hit Philly, Wilmington, Baltimore, and the dreaded DC traffic. The route I’m suggesting avoids all the major cities is scenic and faster because it is avoids those cities. If you go back a few pages on this thread, you’ll see that there are a lot of fans of this route because of the reasons I’ve mentioned. You may also want to check out this older thread that discusses the route. http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2522586

Are gas prices doing a rapid rise in your area? About 2 weeks ago I was paying 3.27, then there was an overnight jump to 3.35, then a jump to 3.41 and this week most stations did a one shot increase to 3.53. That is 26 cents in a short period of time, about an 8% increase!

I've noticed the rise in price too. I'm expecting the gas prices to peak on July 27th and come back down August 4th or so. Guess who will be driving to Disney during that time? LOL ME!:furious:

Yup- south central PA was $3.55 this morning!

That's about what it is around here. I fill up for work twice a week, I don't even look.
The last excuse I hear was Egypt.
I'm sure it will be something else next week.

It's up to $1.32/liter here (about $4.80USD/gallon). I'm looking forward to our trip and lower gas prices in the US! :)

If you have a smart phone, you should download the gasbuddy app. I'll be using it during my trip. I've used it before and it's pretty accurate.

:goodvibesThank you to all for the tips regarding the rooftop carrier (quite a while since I've popped in here...sorry) We purchased one and it's all ready for our suitcases...TOMORROW :cool1:

As for gas prices..they've definitely creeped up here, just in time for our trip. Our gas mileage should be better in our Traverse than our Suburban was at least!

Our plan in to leave at 9pm and drive straight down. Our kids sleep well at night, and my husband does well until 4-5am...bless him for that. Driving when the sun rises works better for me ::yes::

Thank you to everyone here for all your tips! I've been more of a lurker, but I've taken lots of tidbits from you pros!!!:thumbsup2

I filled up on Monday and it was $3.99 a gallon. When I drove by the same gas station on Tuesday, it was $4.19 :scared1: Hoping it goes down substantially before our September trip lol

Are gas prices doing a rapid rise in your area? About 2 weeks ago I was paying 3.27, then there was an overnight jump to 3.35, then a jump to 3.41 and this week most stations did a one shot increase to 3.53. That is 26 cents in a short period of time, about an 8% increase!

You are lucky! it has not gone below $3.75/gallon here in forever. Today it is now up to $3.85/gallon. I will take your increased price any day!

Yup- south central PA was $3.55 this morning!

Where are you? (If you don't want to reveal the town, just tell me which side of Gettysburg you are on.)

On July 3 I filled up for $3.27. Two days ago I filled up again for $3.65.

Where are you? (If you don't want to reveal the town, just tell me which side of Gettysburg you are on.)

On July 3 I filled up for $3.27. Two days ago I filled up again for $3.65.

I am in Camp Hill and north of y'all by about 30 minutes plus! Gas is $3.59 here at the moment. And I do mean moment.

What about going around Atlanta, up through Chattanooga (very nice scenery), and Memphis, then heading either west to St. Louis or northwest toward Chicago? Or going up the west side of Florida getting off 75 (not an expressway, but a very untraveled 2 lane road), head towards Tallahassee, then to Montgomery, Al, Birmingham, Memphis, etc? Or, they way we head home usually, up 95 to Charleston, catch 26 to Columbia, north on 77 through Charlotte, then through West Virginia. Some very nice scenery around there also. Lots of different options to vary your route. On one of our trips out west we took the Nebraska route instead of the Dakotas and liked it. The one I would not recommend is the Kansas route. I thought we would never get out of Kansas after leaving Denver, as that part of Colorado and Kansas all looks alike. All we saw for hours and hours was wheat and corn.

Although our trip is not as long as from Pullman, WA we too are having to drive from Canada to Orlando.
The first day we want to go to Sheridan, WY from Lethbridge, AB. Then visit Mt Rushmore on Day 2 going to Sioux Falls. Day 3 we hope to make it to Memphis, TN. Day 4 to either Clearwater Beach, FL or Bradenton, FL.
This will be immediately after Christmas with arrival at BCV on January 1.
We need some help as we have never done this journey with two boys aged 9 and 11
Thanks

After reading all your posts I feel much more informed. Thank you all! While we are seasoned road travelers, with a 10,000+ mile cross country trip, we've always flown to FL. Leaving MA by 6 am tomorrow (Saturday, July 20) we will stop in Hopewell, VA, south of Richmond. My route takes me on 295 to the east of DC, and wondering how this will be on a Saturday afternoon. We aren't "drive straight through" folks, as our kids are 14 & 18, and we'd rather enjoy the journey and arrive well rested. I am concerned about coming this close to DC. The VA mega project website mentioned in this thread has broken links and no info for this weekend. We do have an EZ Pass and will have four in the car. Are there HOV options? Any advice welcome.

You should be ok hitting DC in the afternoon on a Saturday. Most of the people in that area heading to Virginia Beach have already left. We used to hit a lot of Virginia Beach traffic between DC and Richmond. After Richmond it's usually smooth sailing. Here's a good link for traffic up and down the east coast
http://www.i95coalition.org/
Have a safe and fun trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter