Food Allergies at WDW

I'm sorry if this has been asked/answered before. I have a son with life-threatening tree nut allergy and he will be using the Adult dining plan this yr for the first time. In the past, I have only noted his allergy on our adr's and then mentioned it at the restaurant if I thought that it would be an issue. Since he will now be choosing meals from the regular/adult menu, I am more concerned that he may encounter a problem. The adr allergy info. recommended emailing the wdw special diets site at least 2 wks before our arrival. I will be doing that, but I was wondering if I will need to type in our reservation numbers, the dates and times of our adr's or is all of that attached to my vacation pkg reservation? I haven't been able to find any info. about guest experiences with the special diets email contact. Has anyone else had experience with emailing them your info.?
Thanks for your help.

I jsut did this recently. They'll email a list of allergy free food and locations. They'll also email a document to be filled out with allergy information as well as reservations times and ADR numbers. You need to send that back to them and they notify the restaurants I believe.

If he is only allergic to tree nuts it should be very easy as they deal with that all the time. Special diets has a form you can fax back for the chefs too but with nut allergies they will have plenty of safe foods on hand to work with. Personally I do avoid places that serve nuts extensively like Ohana has a peanut sauce served with every meal and Kona has macadamia nut butter because I worry that the tables and silverware may not be clean enough but otherwise the chefs are very aware on nuts and cross contamination. The main issue I've had is at cs places they use multigrain bread,buns, and pizza crust which doesn't have a nut warning but has sunflower seeds which my allergist tells me to avoid because of cross contam issues but that may ok for you.

If he is only allergic to tree nuts it should be very easy as they deal with that all the time. Special diets has a form you can fax back for the chefs too but with nut allergies they will have plenty of safe foods on hand to work with. Personally I do avoid places that serve nuts extensively like Ohana has a peanut sauce served with every meal and Kona has macadamia nut butter because I worry that the tables and silverware may not be clean enough but otherwise the chefs are very aware on nuts and cross contamination. The main issue I've had is at cs places they use multigrain bread,buns, and pizza crust which doesn't have a nut warning but has sunflower seeds which my allergist tells me to avoid because of cross contam issues but that may ok for you.

we are visiting 'ohana for dinner for the first time w/our nut-allergic son and after speaking with cms i am unconcerned about the peanut sauce... we will not have it served at our table and they recommended asking for both the table and the chairs to be wiped down/"allergy cleaning" and all should be fine :)

Each CS restaurant should also have a black folder/book that lists all ingredients that you can see if you ask. I am deathly allergic to MSG in all forms, including the autolyzed extracts and I avoid ingredients listing "broth" or "flavorings" to be safe. They have most big allergies (wheat, nuts, dairy) noted but the black folder is really helpful if you have a less common allergy. It's helped me eat safely at F&W and helped me avoid other meals that would have been bad news. The BOOK is available at the welcome desk for F&W.

:goodvibes

Thanks so much for the F and W info. At the stands they never have info and never told me where I could find the info. Yippee!

Each CS restaurant should also have a black folder/book that lists all ingredients that you can see if you ask. I am deathly allergic to MSG in all forms, including the autolyzed extracts and I avoid ingredients listing "broth" or "flavorings" to be safe. They have most big allergies (wheat, nuts, dairy) noted but the black folder is really helpful if you have a less common allergy. It's helped me eat safely at F&W and helped me avoid other meals that would have been bad news. The BOOK is available at the welcome desk for F&W.

:goodvibes

This is great to know! :thumbsup2 I was worried about going in October and totally hanging up the line asking questions. If they have the book at the Welcome Desk though, I can browse it and mark down what is safe for myself and be able to order without having to block lines or cause a delay! Great to know!

I am glad to see this thread. I was not thrilled with the response I received via email when I contacted food services about my son's dietary needs (extreme low sodium) due to his kidney condition.
Does anyone know if the woman mentioned early in the thread (Brenda Bennett) is still working at the park? I would like to call to speak to someone directly. I would also like any nutritional information they can offer (which appears to be very little, but the worst they can say is no when I ask).
Thanks! :tinker:

I am glad to see this thread. I was not thrilled with the response I received via email when I contacted food services about my son's dietary needs (extreme low sodium) due to his kidney condition.
Does anyone know if the woman mentioned early in the thread (Brenda Bennett) is still working at the park? I would like to call to speak to someone directly. I would also like any nutritional information they can offer (which appears to be very little, but the worst they can say is no when I ask).
Thanks! :tinker:

Brenda no longer works with special diets. Right now they are in the middle of changing many food items-so none of use are getting "good" answers right now.

There are several more current threads on this board that talk about some of the changes that you may find helpful.

Hi all some of you have mentioned that Brenda(who I understand is no longer working in this area) has sent a ingredients list is someone able to send it to me. I know things maybe changing but it will give me a good start for our trip in September this year from Australia with a 10 year old that has Fructose Malabsorption. Thank you in advance if anyone is able to help.

Sorry to add to last post my daughter has Fructose Malabsorption which I have not found a lot in the DIS boards about but no onion galric and high fructose corn syrup along with some other things but these are our main ones.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter