Food Allergies at WDW

Also wanted to share our most recent experiences from our December (9th-16th) trip. We dined at:
Spoodles, Le Cellier, Tony's Town Square, Cape May Buffet (Clambake), Mama Melrose and Coral Reef, plus many CS places.

We had the best experience at Spoodles, the chef beat the server to our table. My son was celebrating his 10th b-day the next day and the host remembered us from our July trip (Jacob got sick on his way to the restaurant & they arranged for a car to pick up up at the BWI entrance & drive us back to the resort). He arrange for Jacob to be chef of the day & toss pizza in the pizza kitchen-it was very awesome!

Le Cellier was not a great experience for us, we got a very new waitress who was either way too inexperienced or completely overwhelmed. She forgot to bring our bread, told me it was ok for me to eat the bread (I'm allergic to eggs & nuts which are in the breads), had to be asked 3 times to bring us water with our other drinks and the list goes on & on. Also, the chef didn't seem as confident or thorough in his understanding of either my allergies or the menu components. He first said that I could have pretty much any appetizer, I asked about the shrimp , because I thought it was in an egg based slaw, then he said "Oh, yes it is". This happened a couple of time so I was not feeling particularily confident. I chose what I've eaten there in the past to be on the safe side. We barely made it to our 6:45 CP, even though we got there at 4!

Coral Reef was my absolute nightmare experience though, our waiter didn't seem to want to be bothered to check with the chef so he just told me that I basically could have salad as an appetizer, nothing else. I had to ask twice for the chef to come to the table, and when he did he said he remembered me from a trip earlier this year, we talked for about 5 minutes or so--he was great. The server seemed to be put off by the fact that I could have my choice of many things and just was not the attitude we wanted on our last day in the world. To top it off, he said he could bring me a fresh fruit cup for dessert, which he did, topped off with plenty of pineapple, which I am also allergic to. When he placed my son's dessert & then my husbands & I saw him coming toward me with the large cup of fruit I had to put my hand down to stop him from putting it in front of me. I said, "Thanks, but I'm allergic to pineapple, like I told you when you mentioned the fruit cup offering so you'll need to take that back please." He become very apologetic but the meal was really ruined at that point. I just wanted to get out of there. It was really a concern because we were flying out a few hours later & the last thing I needed was an allergic reaction.

Mama Melrose was awesome, as usual! We had a terrific server, who, despite dealing with some really rude customers at a nearby table, was warm, gracious and terrific in dealing with my DS, who was having a little meltdown. Chef Gary here is awesome, he had a tofu cake set aside for me, but they gave to another customer :-)upsidedow ), however, he spent some time making me a delicious orange cream dessert (no eggs, nuts or pineapples!) with a lovely prince/princess edible disk on top. It was really nice to get a little special treatment from our favorite WDW chef!

Cape May did a terrific job as well, we had a chef from a small town near our home, so we chatted with him, he showed me the buffet & then brought me out a plate of clams and a seperate plate of shrimp from the back steamers. I'm allergic to only oysters & mussels, no other shellfish (go figure) so to be on the safe side they do this for me, it was great. He got me some sorbet for dessert, this is what I usually had for dessert most nights-fine with me!

Tony's did a good job, despite being packed because it was a MVMCP night. The chef was nice, our waitress was fine, it was the best dining experience, but nothing wrong with the meal or the service.

Anyway, just wanted to point our that any place can provide a good or bad experience. We've never had a bad (or even less than good) experience at either Le Cellier or Coral Reef until this trip. I'm not saying I wouldn't go back, but I would be a bit more vocal about having a chef at my table in each place.

Thank you all for this thread and especially the email address of Brenda Bennett. I emailed her about my daughter's allergies and she emailed me back in less than 24 hours with links to tons of allergy information for dining at Disney and also is going to double check on all our existing dining reservations. I really suggest emailing Brenda. Thanks for all the tips.

My daughter is just as excited to be able to eat restaurant food as anything else about the trip.

mom to a 5 year old who is allergic to milk, egg, peanuts, tree nuts, sesame and mustard

Do you email Brenda if you need allergy info added to your reservation? Can your TA do this or do I need to do this?

My TA made my reservations but I called Disney dining myself to flag the allergies. On top of that I emailed Brenda and got even more detailed/helpful info.

My TA made my reservations but I called Disney dining myself to flag the allergies. On top of that I emailed Brenda and got even more detailed/helpful info.

Thank you so much! I have been very nervous about this and was wondering best how to handle it. I do not want my food allergies to be the centre of attention at every meal. I have emailed Brenda for info:goodvibes

The email address that was listed on this thread has bounced. Does anyone have the correct email address for Brenda? TIA

I'm going in March with just DH (it's DS who has allergies) and we're taking the kids in Oct. Do you think I should talk to the chefs at teh restaurants we know we're taking the kids to when we go in Oct or just wait to call them when it gets closer?

hi drag n'fly

could you let me know brenda's email addy please. thanks
Brenda's address is:

brenda.bennett@disney.com

One of the posters forgot to put in the second t (no worries):goodvibes ..thats' why it bounced. Brenda has already emailed my package. She is very prompt! I had to fill out an allergy sheet and email it back. I have several allergies but 2 are anaphylactic (eggs and fish) and I need to carry an epi-pen. I highly recommend emailing Brenda if you are going. She pulled our reservation and is able to notify each restaurant (TS) that we have adr's at (another good reason to have an adr)and notified them of my allergies. Super!:goodvibes

I have a couple food allergies, and two that could make me pretty sick being nuts (except peanuts) and shellfish.

Since this is our first trip as adults we are using a travel agent because I found everything rather confusing :confused3:

So, I will be letting my TA know what my allergies are when I return the form of what places we want ADR's at (since she'll make them all for us), but do you all think I should email Brenda too?

I have a couple food allergies, and two that could make me pretty sick being nuts (except peanuts) and shellfish.

Since this is our first trip as adults we are using a travel agent because I found everything rather confusing :confused3:

So, I will be letting my TA know what my allergies are when I return the form of what places we want ADR's at (since she'll make them all for us), but do you all think I should email Brenda too?

That would probably work too. This is our first trip too and my TA also made all my adr's. Brenda has notified each restaurant ahead of time. Brenda gave me a very detailed package of information for WDW including ingredient listings. I very highly recommend contacting her. I can comfortably know that each TS restaurant I eat at the chef is already aware of my allergy ahead of time and will notify me what dishes to avoid. That way I personally do not feel like my food allergies have to be the centre of attention at every meal because the chef will already know we are coming and it will not hold up our meal with us requesting to speak to the chef, waiting in que to see him and the chef trying to figure out what I can and cannot eat at the last second. Your travel agent has no control what you eat for cs or snacks so you have to make yourself aware and Brenda can provide that information for you. I am sure your TA would be happy to take care of this for you, I personally am choosing to do this myself so I can ensure every meal is a safe meal.

My fil and myself both avoid gluten and wheat products. We are going to the world in May. We have adr's at these ts places: Le Cellier, LTT, CM, Ohanas,CP, WCC, 1900 park fare....Could someone let me know if these are good places for us to eat at. Thanks

My fil and myself both avoid gluten and wheat products. We are going to the world in May. We have adr's at these ts places: Le Cellier, LTT, CM, Ohanas,CP, WCC, 1900 park fare....Could someone let me know if these are good places for us to eat at. Thanks

We just got back from WDW. My DD's food allergies are not as severe anymore, but it was still on the ADR's so the chiefs came out. They were super good to us. Le Cellier chief, CM and 1900 park fare in particular. Ohannas is good as far as a lot of food that doesn't have wheat in it, however Ohanana's keeps getting more and more just average of less then and we decided it would be our last time there, too many other good places to try. The 1st time we went it was wonderful (this was the old menu) Every time since then has been a let down. We felt rushed and were in a corner where we couldn't see anything. When we mentioned we were in the same bad seat last time the cm said "You have to request the tables with a view when you make the ADR's." so do that if you do plan to go.

This time we didn't have to wait as long for the chiefs to come out either, past trips (when we needed it more, we did.)

We love CP, but didn't go this time, we should of instead of Ohanana's.

I can comfortably know that each TS restaurant I eat at the chef is already aware of my allergy ahead of time and will notify me what dishes to avoid. That way I personally do not feel like my food allergies have to be the centre of attention at every meal because the chef will already know we are coming and it will not hold up our meal with us requesting to speak to the chef, waiting in que to see him and the chef trying to figure out what I can and cannot eat at the last second.

I do always call ahead but you still have to wait each meal for the chef to come out and verify that what you are ordering is safe and to be sure any needed modifications are done. Most of the dishes can be prepared to be safe as long as you can do without sauces and some of the sides.

In terms of CS even with the lists from Brenda things change constantly and you still should ask for ingredients. Some of the ingredient listings didn't specify cross contamination but the actual list on the item did for example.

Yvonne

Since I get the feeling alot of people have talked with Brenda at Disney I was curious how long does it usually take her to get in touch with you. I have sent some emails to Disney that it takes a good 2-3 weeks to get a reply. We want to contact her for help on counter service, and to see if she has any further suggestions.

We just recently got back and our trip went great too. Brenda was a HUGE help. Thanks for that heads up! I posted pictures of our food, and since this trip I have been a bit obsessed about planning a return visit!
:)
everything went very smoothly for us with our food intollerances / allergies there.
Here are the photos-

sleepingbean.blogspot.com

Has anyone ordered a birthday cake for their food allergic child? I want to if they can make one that's dairy, egg, and nut free. Think they can?

Also, when the meals are made for the food allergic child, are they charged the kids meal price or an adult meal price??

I am allergic to dairy beef and eggs, and we ordered a cake last August to these specifications at California Grill and they were happy to accomodate us. They couldn't print any characters on it, as the frosting was special, but thats ok. It tasted great and was a great treat on our vacation!

The pastry chef emailed me the ingredients in the cake this morning- I am worried about x-contamination. Are there any better alternatives for bdy cake? Last year we did jello but I wanted to do something different this year. Do they have rice dream ice cream?

Rice dream and tofutti!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter